NY NY - Sylvia Lwowski, 22, Staten Island, 6 Sept 1975 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just messaged MMQC re: the SS number business. She said Sylvia definitely had one, since they needed one prior to college; and said the reason Sylvia isn't in the SSDI is that it takes 7 years from the filing date, and her brother couldn't file until Sylvia's mother died (she couldn't and wouldn't do it). They can't settle the parents' estate until this happens

New York's Island of Lost Souls
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4977742/The-island-mass-burial-site-New-York-city-dead.html

Jmoose – Read this article this morning and thought of when you first brought up Hart Island. Sylvia’s never been researched on Hart Island has she? Wonder if this is a possibility that the cold case squad looked into?

Considering the financial state of NYC and all departments in the 70's, how possible is it that she was UID or UC and totaly went under the radar of protocol and paperwork? And, as mentioned in the article, all cemetaries have a UID / UC section. Were the Statin Island cemetaries ever researched?

It is not easy to research either – as is told in the profiles in the article…

I saw this today as well. I did a few searches. It could be a good place to finally locate some people.

I believe there is a possibility that Sylvia could have ended up at Hart Island-In fact, I contacted Sylvia's brother about the possibility. He said he'd thought about that, and had been in touch with someone there. As you said, the records only go back to 1980, and so there isn't any way, really, to know if there was a person fitting her description interred there, and no way to know where she would have ended up in the cemetery. We are much more attuned these days to what the police may be doing or not doing; and crime in the 70's in NYC was so much worse than it is now-I can imagine that the body of a dead woman could easily go unmatched with a missing one; after all, they had a lot bigger problems to worry about. I can totally see this happening to Sylvia without her family ever being notified.

Another thing that's bothering me is why she hasn't shown up on the Social Security Death Index. Now, why wouldn't she have been declared dead yet? She must have had a social security number, right? Is there any reason why she wouldn't have had one? You now have to get one as a baby-but when did you need one in the 70's? For a job, you'd need one, unless you worked off the books-would you need one for a drivers license? To enroll in college? Why wouldn't she be in the SSDI? I mean, somebody could hijack her social security number, couldn't they?

Jmoose- maybe Sylvia's brother would give you (only you) Sylvia's SS#, and driver's license # for the purpose to search databases? Damn, I'd feel much more empowered,to go to any Library, precinct, morge, cemetery, LE, CCS, with that info.

We are stuck with just her name...

Last spring I got picked up at Newark airport by a really nice driver (contact business where I live), by a retired NYC cop, he worked in Manhattan in the 80's. The owner of the business who drove me to the airport is a retired local LE Chief... I was all about discussing WS And Sylvia's case with the both of them.

My local (central Jersey) police chief said the majority of murders go unsolved... Yeah, I believe that from searching for Sylvia... And there are a couple unsolved murders in the town I grew up, too...

The Manhattan cop is the one who described the danger in the 80's...He is the one I'd to talk to again... Because he worked NYC, in the 80's and that is the era Sylvia went missing...

You never know what clues might be found from the LE perspective...

As a sidebar- my trip to to Newark airport was a hell ride in the driving sideways rain... Unbelievable! And, I was assured, and felt totally safe in the company of a lovely police chief who no doubt navigated much worse situations.

We have lots of peeps viewing this thread as guests... Right now a 6:30 in the morning... Seven guests.

Chime in peeps!!! We need a breakthrough...

Xo
Rose

Sylvia is such a missing person's story, four decades, and four plus threads here alone...but we are missing the other side... How about some of her fiancé's peeps chime in?

Come on, give it up, and help us find this beautiful woman!

We have sleuthed it!

It is up to you my peeps...

Anyone who loved, liked, or was on the sidelines but liked, fess up!!!

Anyone who was engaged to her, fess up.

Anyone who is gripped by guilt, for admiring her fess up!!!

Anyone who was at that freaking pool party a week before she went missing, fess up.

Anyone who would love this gal to the ends of the earth, fess up.

Because, she is worth it.

Because Sylvia Lwowski is missing...

Because she is loved.

Because she is adored.

Because we can't find her.
Xo

Many peeps here.
We need new perspective.
We need to crack the code
Of silence...
For this beautiful gal.
For Sylvia Lwowski...

Who will help find Sylvia Lwowski?

Many of us, and friends, and family, are still trying...

We need that one clue, that one remembrance..

Whoever you are, let us know.

Let us bring her to closure.
Xo

There is no way this woman wasn't loved and adored, by more than a few...

Come on peeps, time is running out for our generation...

Ha! BTW, Jmoose, my airplane ride was far worse than the car ride that day last spring - I didn't know if I was going to make it to the wedding I attended... Talk about feeling like you've been pulsed through a Cuisinart for hours on end... Honestly, don't know how pilots and attendants do that for a living...

But this makes me think, my first airplane ride ever was as a teen in the early 70's, in a DC10, iirc, it was loud... But exciting as it was my first time flying. My parents flew me home from a junior year summer away at great expense to them. My family was not a globe trotting family by any means.

As I am just a couple years younger than Sylvia, this makes me think and remember how rare it was that anyone just upped and got on an airplane back then- (My next, smoother, airplane ride, mid eighties).

So, did Sylvia just up and fly away? Really doubtful. And I assume her family still has her original passport back as a child traveling here from Germany. Or, the updated one from her trip to Bermuda. ... Bermuda, makes me wonder...

She could have gone into Canada with just a driver's license. I did so myself on a trip in the late 70's - no questions asked other than purpose of trip. I didn't get a passport until the late 80's for my first international trip.

So, this leaves bus, train, car, or boat. For Sylvia, it is the boat question that I wonder about. It is the question of wondering who she knew; circle of friends, circle of fiancé friends, circle of Wagner friends, circle of neighborhood next to the marina friends? -Access to and from station island by boat.

That she just upped and ran into a serial killer that night seems a rare possibility. So what else could have happened?

So, to bring the question back Hart Island, there are cemeteries that bury "known people" at a very nominal fee. I know because my father's sister, my aunt is buried on Staten Island. It's a long story, but she converted to Judaism, had three children, divorced, abandoned her children, lived an unassuming life in upper Ny state for decades, died, and was buried in a wooden box in Jewish cemetery on Staten Island last spring.

So, what if remains were found, and there was minimal news reports about it, and everyone is off the radar because it has been too long, and she is an UC / UID in a Staten Island cemetery? And, CCS missed it?

I know it has been said all rocks have been turned in regards to her disappearance but what about later? - between 1975 and 2010? That is a long stretch of time.

I know the sudden loss of a known loved one (a sibling) but have no idea about the possible updates a family might receive regarding an ongoing missing loved one...

I am not far away. --Maybe Sylvia's peeps, her family could update us? I'd be willing to go to Staten Island, to library, to Wagner College, but it would be useless without certain info about her, or a timeline after her disappearance.

Ha! BTW, Jmoose, my airplane ride was far worse than the car ride that day last spring - I didn't know if I was going to make it to the wedding I attended... Talk about feeling like you've been pulsed through a Cuisinart for hours on end... Honestly, don't know how pilots and attendants do that for a living...

But this makes me think, my first airplane ride ever was as a teen in the early 70's, in a DC10, iirc, it was loud... But exciting as it was my first time flying. My parents flew me home from a junior year summer away at great expense to them. My family was not a globe trotting family by any means.

As I am just a couple years younger than Sylvia, this makes me think and remember how rare it was that anyone just upped and got on an airplane back then- (My next, smoother, airplane ride, mid eighties).

So, did Sylvia just up and fly away? Really doubtful. And I assume her family still has her original passport back as a child traveling here from Germany. Or, the updated one from her trip to Bermuda. ... Bermuda, makes me wonder...

She could have gone into Canada with just a driver's license. I did so myself on a trip in the late 70's - no questions asked other than purpose of trip. I didn't get a passport until the late 80's for my first international trip.

So, this leaves bus, train, car, or boat. For Sylvia, it is the boat question that I wonder about. It is the question of wondering who she knew; circle of friends, circle of fiancé friends, circle of Wagner friends, circle of neighborhood next to the marina friends? -Access to and from station island by boat.

That she just upped and ran into a serial killer that night seems a rare possibility. So what else could have happened?

You and I are around the same age; and like you, I don't think that Sylvia likely thought about flying off somewhere-or if she did, it would have been a big deal. She could have gone to Canada easily in those days, though-maybe even gotten a job there. I don't know if employment restrictions would have been as onerous then as they are now.

Re: the notion of running into a serial killer that night, all I can say is that, after the huge fight with her fiance, that would be quite a coincidence! Not impossible, for sure, but that would have to have been the "perfect storm" of an evening!

Very unlikely flying off anywhere unless with a flying with a friend...

She could have gone to Canada easily and probably worked there easily back then - I know this from a 60's conscientious objector friend who became a Canadian citizen.

And I have to agree Jmoose, what kind of perfect storm could happen that evening?

So either there is-
1. an inside job with someone we suspect, or
2. an unknown affair with another, or
3. she did herself in
4. Random chance, bus, docks. major ferry/ boat, etc.

Which is it?

The feeling I get is terror, not safety, or temporary safety, or excitement, or complacency.

Why? Sylvia was not a wild child. Unless there's something we don't know?

The only two people who have posted here, who are closely familiar with Sylvia, have said that she was not a wild child, but we also know that she was not a "rule follower" in all ways-yes, she was a consciencious student, and she took good care of her teeth, but we also know that she was pregnant prior to her engagement, by someone who was not her fiance. This isn't a big deal these days, but in the early 70's, it was-she was more complicated than her loved ones gave her credit for being, I think.

Hi! I have some questions:

Where was it determined she was pregnant? And if so, do we know who the father was? It says it was not her fiancé, is this right?

I ask because if this is the case, there are several scenarios that could have occurred.

a) from everything I have read, the fiance seem a likely suspect. I honestly do not believe anyone would deliberately destroy their own glasses, unless it is kid who wants a more stylish pair. The amount of force it would take to break glasses also seems a bit odd. If she was sitting in the passenger seat and threw them, I doubt they would gain enough momentum to break on the windshield or dashboard. It's highly likely, there was a disagreement, perhaps about the pregnancy, or father of the child and he lashed out ultimately causing her death. It just seems that unless it was verified they went to the movie, that is a plenty of time to elapse for him to do something to her.

b) If there was another man involved, if she was pregnant with someone else child, he might have caused harm. Was he a married man? Did he have a lot to lose if this came out?

c) Is it possible that, if she was pregnant, perhaps a botched abortion occurred, resulting in her death?

d) It is possible she fled the country, but it seems a very long time to not contact any family member. I wish this were the case, her returning to Europe, time goes by, she blocks out her family because of guilt.

Hi Lucy -
1. pregnant & abortion in college - she knew the father. But we don't know who that person is.
2. she was engaged to her fiance - different person at time of her disappearance
3. no knowledge of an affair at time of her disappearance
4. no knowledge if she was pregnant or suffered a botched abortion at time of her disappearance
5. Her family secured a PI at time of her disappearance - all air, boat, train, bus, hospitals, etc. were checked. I believe her family has her passport.

Thanks for chiming in. We only have hearsay from the fiance that they went to a movie that night. Never been verified, to us. The glasses were discussed for, oh, at least a whole thread I think. --Glasses back in the 70's were not shatterproof like they are now. I know because I shattered a few myself - just a thought. Family never received her glasses back which were allegedly left in fiance's car.

Threads #1 & 2 goes into the chronology of events and there were two VIs who were really helpful in giving us many of the pieces. Yes, one could only hope that somehow she would be alive after all this time.

Thank you. I did not realise there were more threads :shame:

Lucy-To clarify...the pregnancy and abortion occurred before Sylvia met the fiance with whom she was on a date when she disappeared. We don't know if the fiance ever knew about it-but our "hearsay" info had them fighting about something that night, and the fight could have been about anything.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skoorboh54
Back