GUILTY NY - Twenty dead in Limo Crash, Schoharie County, 6 Oct 2018 *arrest* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks, @Tripod, for the article -- no more autopsy details would really be necessary, IMO -- a high rate of speed, no seat belts, a number of mechanical problems with the vehicle, an unauthorized driver, the vehicle coming to a hard and sudden stop -- oh, those victims never had a chance.
I'm sure the autopsies would show traumatic head and body injuries, broken bones, cuts and lacerations, loss of blood, etc. I can hardly imagine how their bodies were thrown around in that big space with so many hard surfaces all around each one of them.
This is a Big One, so I guess we'll have to be patient for an outcome since there are so many angles to this case, so much wrong-doing on the part of the "limousine" company and its individuals, so many victims, and so many relatives and friends still hurting and angry.
Nearly unbelievable, but it happened.

SCHOHARIE, N.Y. (WRGB) - The number of civil suits filed in connection with the Schoharie limousine crash has grown by two.

The lawsuits were filed in State Supreme Court by the families of two of the passengers who died, Patrick Cushing and Rachel Cavosie.

The wrongful death lawsuits go on to request damages based on the catastrophic injuries resulting in intense-and-excruciating conscious mental and physical pain, suffering and anguish that both Rachel Cavosie and Patrick Cushing suffered.

Two more civil suits filed in connection to fatal Schoharie limo crash

SCHOHARIE — A new lawsuit filed by the family of one of the Schoharie limo crash victims is seeking damages not only from the Wilton company that owned the stretch Ford Excursion involved in the disaster, but also from a wealthy Pakistani businessman.

New limo crash suit going after money in Pakistan
Ouch!!!
Hmmm, it's one thing when somebody punches you in your face; it's quite another when someone punches you in your finances. :cool:

This may have been posted already.

"New documents show Nauman Hussain's DNA matches a sample from a department of transportation sticker found stuffed in the limousine's side door pocket. That sticker indicating the limo was not cleared to be out on the road.

The case is still set for January 2020 but pre-trial hearings and some filings have been pushed back."

Court Documents Released in Schoharie Limo Crash

Thanks, @Tripod, for the article -- no more autopsy details would really be necessary, IMO -- a high rate of speed, no seat belts, a number of mechanical problems with the vehicle, an unauthorized driver, the vehicle coming to a hard and sudden stop -- oh, those victims never had a chance.
I'm sure the autopsies would show traumatic head and body injuries, broken bones, cuts and lacerations, loss of blood, etc. I can hardly imagine how their bodies were thrown around in that big space with so many hard surfaces all around each one of them.
This is a Big One, so I guess we'll have to be patient for an outcome since there are so many angles to this case, so much wrong-doing on the part of the "limousine" company and its individuals, so many victims, and so many relatives and friends still hurting and angry.
Nearly unbelievable, but it happened.
It is indeed a Big One. It's still hard for me to believe it happened in our very rural, quiet county. This tragedy was like a perfect storm, where so many odd things came together in a horrible few minutes.

It is indeed a Big One. It's still hard for me to believe it happened in our very rural, quiet county. This tragedy was like a perfect storm, where so many odd things came together in a horrible few minutes.
bbm
Well put. That's exactly what it was. And the clouds are still dark and will be for a long, long time for so many families and friends.

NTSB: Regulators failed at jobs in limo crash that killed 20 in upstate NY

Finally some answers. I drove by here Sunday, couldn't help but to think of the families, but just saw this today.

NTSB: Regulators failed at jobs in limo crash that killed 20 in upstate NY

From link

ALBANY — Federal investigators examining the 2018 crash of a stretch limousine that killed 20 people said Tuesday that state regulators repeatedly failed to properly oversee a poorly maintained vehicle with corroded brakes that hurtled down a road at more than 100 mph and slammed into an embankment.

National Transportation Safety Board members unanimously voted to accept a final report that found widespread fault. The NTSB found that the crash in upstate New York was likely caused by the operator’s “egregious disregard for safety” that resulted in brake failure on a long downhill stretch, and that ineffective state oversight also contributed.,....

Staff members told the board that the limousine's brake system was corroded and that the brake line was crimped, which would have restricted amount of fluid able to flow to the right rear brake. In addition, parts of the line were coated in brake fluid, indicating a leak...

much more at link

From link

ALBANY — Federal investigators examining the 2018 crash of a stretch limousine that killed 20 people said Tuesday that state regulators repeatedly failed to properly oversee a poorly maintained vehicle with corroded brakes that hurtled down a road at more than 100 mph and slammed into an embankment.

National Transportation Safety Board members unanimously voted to accept a final report that found widespread fault. The NTSB found that the crash in upstate New York was likely caused by the operator’s “egregious disregard for safety” that resulted in brake failure on a long downhill stretch, and that ineffective state oversight also contributed.,....

Staff members told the board that the limousine's brake system was corroded and that the brake line was crimped, which would have restricted amount of fluid able to flow to the right rear brake. In addition, parts of the line were coated in brake fluid, indicating a leak...

much more at link

There should be no plea deals, IMO.

There should be no plea deals, IMO.
Absolutely agree, @Mica.
Quite often, not always, we see a plea deal cut that we can swallow -- age of the offender(s), other circumstances that could have made the offender desperate enuff to do something. Other times, a hot-shot well-paid defense attorney whose skills are making just those kinds of deals, etc., gets a deal, and we just have to bear it.
But this horror -- no way in h*ll are there any circumstances that should allow a prosecutor to make a deal. SMH.
No deal, no way.

Yes, the limo did have seatbelts, to the best of my recollection.

Found this in Oct 2019 article.

The NTSB report says none of the 17 passengers in the white stretch limo were wearing the lap belts attached to the rear passenger seats of the vehicle. State Police have said they all died of massive blunt-force trauma.

The report also noted that the only rear passenger seats that were anchored properly were the original seats located in the very back of the limo.

NTSB: Crash might have been survivable with seat belts

But federal agency find the safety devices were unreachable for some passengers before deadly Oct. 6 limo crash

This quote ..."state regulators repeatedly failed to properly oversee a poorly maintained vehicle with corroded brakes that hurtled down a road at more than 100 mph and slammed into an embankment." makes me wonder if this will open the door to sue New York State?

Found this in Oct 2019 article.

NTSB: Crash might have been survivable with seat belts

But federal agency find the safety devices were unreachable for some passengers before deadly Oct. 6 limo crash

Snip...

Most of the 21 belts in the passenger section were "under the bench seats and invisible to passengers," the report says. The Excursion's lap belts, located on the side-facing seats, were "not properly designed" for crash protection.

The NTSB report concludes by recommending that New York require all passengers in a motor vehicle to wear seat belts. Current law only requires belt use for front-seat riders and rear-seat passengers who are 16 or younger.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heartishome
Back