NY - Twenty Fatality Traffic Crash, Schoharie County, 6 Oct 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is so very weird to me. As pointed out previously, what are the chances of all 18 people in the limo dying at the scene? I've been looking at prior mass casualties of this nature, and it seems almost unheard of. Even one from the 1950s where a bus went through a guardrail and down a ravine still had more than a dozen survivors. And those bus crashes wouldn't have had seatbelts either. I know this is probably not the case, but could something have happened to the driver and passengers before the limo got to the stop sign? Otherwise, I don't understand how you blow through a stop sign, hit a parked car, pedestrians and still don't stop until you end up in a ditch. It makes me wonder if the driver was conscious. The limo didn't seem to have the amount of damage I would have expected for 18 instantaneous deaths in the picture I saw. I'm very interested to hear more details about exactly how this all unfolded.

I had a similar thought, though the idea of everyone unconscious is just as strange as everyone dying on impact with no survivors.

Welcome to WS.

From the link: "The latest - four sisters, two of their husbands, a husband's brother - all lost during the worst crash in U.S. history since 2009. The group rented the limo to celebrate one of the sister's birthdays."

ETA: Two sets of newlywed couples died in the limo crash.

Also from the link. A broadside at that speed would cause catastrophic injuries and deaths inside that limo. :( bbm

In an earlier press release, the state police said the crash happened about 1:55 p.m. on October 6. The cause of the crash is not yet known. According to reporter Paul Nelson, the limo ran a stop sign on Route 30 and broadsided another vehicle at the Route 30A intersection. “Authorities probing if limo’s brakes may have malfunctioned,” Nelson tweeted.

The reporter said the limo was heading to Cooperstown and I read something about them going to breweries. I looked up Cooperstown breweries and found this

Cooperstown Beverage Trail |

Cooperstown has a centuries-old history of fine drink, going back well before baseball became America’s pastime. Once the hops-growing capital of North America, it now boasts breweries, wineries, a distillery and an historic cider mill,each one making world-class beverages for all to enjoy. Cooperstown Beverage Trail is New York State’s first official cuisine trail.

This is so very weird to me. As pointed out previously, what are the chances of all 18 people in the limo dying at the scene? I've been looking at prior mass casualties of this nature, and it seems almost unheard of. Even one from the 1950s where a bus went through a guardrail and down a ravine still had more than a dozen survivors. And those bus crashes wouldn't have had seatbelts either. I know this is probably not the case, but could something have happened to the driver and passengers before the limo got to the stop sign? Otherwise, I don't understand how you blow through a stop sign, hit a parked car, pedestrians and still don't stop until you end up in a ditch. It makes me wonder if the driver was conscious. The limo didn't seem to have the amount of damage I would have expected for 18 instantaneous deaths in the picture I saw. I'm very interested to hear more details about exactly how this all unfolded.

I was wondering if there was an exhaust problem.

Answering my own question above, I think it IS possible.

Carbon Monoxide in Your Car : Silent Shadow

If you find that you experience symptoms consistent with carbon monoxide poisoning whenever you are driving or in the car, it is important that you get your exhaust checked out for leaks.

Symptoms may include headaches, dizziness, tiredness, flue-type symptoms, nausea and even loss of consciousness.

Wow. That could give some answers to this tragedy if it turns out to be related to a faulty exhaust system. This is pure speculation however. We are all just trying to understand how this could have happened.

True. Another possibility would be a medical emergency (re the driver). He was reported to be a 53 year old male.

moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member