NY - Twenty Fatality Traffic Crash, Schoharie County, 6 Oct 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone see the episode of Top Gear when they converted an ordinary limo into a stretch limo?
It couldn't get around corners and eventually broke in half.

I seem to recall that as one of their silly episodes. So sad that it’s about what limo extensions really are

Kudos for the Top Gear reference. I loved that show

That will become more and more evident

The Limo industry is just the place for really shady characters. Lots of illicit stuff goes on: referrals to drug deals, prostitution, human trafficking, and it can be a way to launder money or transport illegal drugs. Many shady characters operate and the general public never goes beyond the cheap flash of the Wow factor when a big fancy car pulls up and drives you and your party around. You don’t ask to see the vehicle inspection reports or the driver’s common carrier licenses. Nor do you take a long look at the exit doors and the layout to figure out the safest place to be.

I’m just the kind of person that insists on a full shoulder - lap belt in my taxis or Ubers and buckles up my car in the garage before I even reverse out of it.

yea it seems taxi /limo stuff is real corrupt - lots of money laundering and mafia and stuff

and this is real small time stuff compared to the corruption in the industry that has come out of late serious white collar crime in high places

This is a horrific tragedy. I cannot imagine what these families are going through. The young children who lost both parents in the crash- that is truly brutal. I hope their parents had some life insurance. It makes me think of the limousine that was carrying a wedding party and caught on fire in San Francisco a few years back. That was another case where the people involved all knew each other. Very sad.

:) IIRC, the FBI has slipped up on too many “errors” <modsnipped not necessary> slipping through their fingers who go on to cause a disaster.

Another thing that bugs me is the FBI should have mud on their face. First of all, they used a convicted felon as an informant. I bet he has not been on their radar as he is in a special classification having once been a paid informant. JMO

He hasn’t done anything to call attention to himself, such as murder, robbery, kidnapping etc. so, no one has checked what he has been doing.

I do agree this is just a peek into a large Pandora’s box.

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone see the episode of Top Gear when they converted an ordinary limo into a stretch limo?
It couldn't get around corners and eventually broke in half.
Yes! I saw that one and many more.

Sadly, that's about what was done with the limo in NY -- I saw a pic of it on 6:00pm news -- I'm not a mechanic at all, but it looked "wrong" to me. There seemed to be too much area between the front & rear tires. I have tried to find the pic and I haven't been successful yet.

In one report, I read that one of the passengers had called a friend and told the friend that the motor of the limo was so loud that the folks in the car couldn't hardly hear each other talk. This is gonna be one big fat mess legally, I would think.

And one family lost four daughters. All this sorrow and loss.
So many good , young folks just gone in a flash. Family members had no idea until they saw a LEO come knocking at their front doors. Sigh.

We need to be thankful for every day we get.

<modsnip - removed quoted posts>

My personal opinion - take with a grain of salt, if you wish - is to keep the focus on the accident itself, what caused it, and what should be done to prevent this horrible tragedy from happening in the future.

The cynic in me wonders how many more lives need to perish before stricter laws are enacted and stronger penalties are enforced.

124107-362d811d1941e4fee4eed23926b87209.jpg

Attachments

• greenPuttoSorrow.jpg
    greenPuttoSorrow.jpg
    643.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
What a tragic year it has been for vehicle accidents between this horrendous tragedy, the duck boat disaster and also the horrific Humbolt Broncos crash.

It is awful this vehicle had failed its safety check and remained in service. I am sick of companies putting profit before safety which costs people’s lives.

State Police investigate negligence in fatal Schoharie crash

OK, I think I found it:

The Sept. 4 inspection found multiple safety violations of a 2001 Ford Excursion owned by Prestige with the license plate TOGALUX1. The Excursion was cited in September for a malfunction of the ABS indicators for the hydraulic brake system; operating a commercial motor vehicle without proof of a periodic inspection; defective emergency exits; failure to correct defects noted on previous inspection report, and defective windshield wipers.

The September inspection also cited a"failure to correct defects noted on previous inspection report" back in March.

In that March 21 inspection report, Prestige was cited for several issues with the brakes on the Excursion, including brake connections with constrictions and brakes out of service.

Prestige was also cited for operating the Excursion with seating in excess of the manufacturer's designed seating capacity.

It also was cited for several local law violations as well. In all, Prestige was cited for 22 violations to its vehicles in five different inspections in March and September.

RELATED: Inspection documents from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

ETA OMG, does the above link really mean they have NO insurance??????????

Not at all surprised. This was a money making company on the fly!!! The owner lives in another country, what would he care, the USA can’t touch him I bet. I would hope he could be charged with murder and extradited back to the USA and put in prison for life!!!

Not at all surprised. This was a money making company on the fly!!! The owner lives in another country, what would he care, the USA can’t touch him I bet. I would hope he could be charged with murder and extradited back to the USA and put in prison for life!!!

It’s not just foreign business owners. I’ve seen it time and time again in the construction industry. Bosses putting their workers and the public in danger in order to make a buck.

Do you think it is the state of New York or the county that these two roads, 30 and 30A are in that have failed in marking the road coming from the side as a dangerous intersection is ahead?

From what we see, the only stop sign is when you on it - too late to stop if you are speeding while driving a large vehicle and unfamiliar with the road.

Where are the rumble strips to make sure vehicles slow down? Where are flashing lights across the road, up high like a stop light? Even a flashing light on stop signs so many feet back from the actual cross road. Put this type stop sign on both sides of the road hoping the driver will see it.

Somewhere I read this intersection had been worked on to try to make it safer. IMO, show me what was done as it just looks like a regular stop sign - no warnings it is a dangerous intersection.

Do you think it is the state of New York or the county that these two roads, 30 and 30A are in that have failed in marking the road coming from the side as a dangerous intersection is ahead?

From what we see, the only stop sign is when you on it - too late to stop if you are speeding while driving a large vehicle and unfamiliar with the road.

Where are the rumble strips to make sure vehicles slow down? Where are flashing lights across the road, up high like a stop light? Even a flashing light on stop signs so many feet back from the actual cross road. Put this type stop sign on both sides of the road hoping the driver will see it.

Somewhere I read this intersection had been worked on to try to make it safer. IMO, show me what was done as it just looks like a regular stop sign - no warnings it is a dangerous intersection.

The google map street view that was linked earlier in the thread did actually show overhead traffic lights -- just red, presumably flashing, not a traffic signal that changes color. It might have been the street view from 2014, so can't swear it's still in place today, but it was there on the street view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper