NY - Twenty Fatality Traffic Crash, Schoharie County, 6 Oct 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or some other chemical release inside the limo?

I find it incredibly hard to believe that all 18 people inside died, no survivors at all. It just sounds suspicious.

MOO
Yes, as I said, it just nags at me. Some parts of the vehicle (as seen from outside the vehicle, of course) appear undamaged. We have all seen horrible pictures of two-car collisions -- both cars torn to pieces, but these cars were often going 60+ mph each, thus making the collision impact extreme, so that's not a good comparison to the limo crash, but it does show how badly the passengers could have been injured.
Apparently, the engine block of the limo was pushed back into the front seat of the car. This would, I assume, push back everything behind it, so maybe the crumpling effect badly wounded the people inside.
We should find out soon enuff.
I hope the driver's BAC can be measured. That could certainly be a big factor in this horrible event.

We should be hearing details pretty soon...

So here is my experience with this intersection. In 2011, after Hurricane Irene came through and blew huge pine trees down onto our camp, we decided to buy an RV. It was an old RV but it was in excellent condition. We decided to go to a Music Festival out that way somewhere, I forget exactly where, but we took that route. Made the left off of Route 7 onto Route 30. Speed limit was posted at 50 mph and that is about what I was doing. Down that hill we started to go. Had to feather the brakes a little cause that old RV just wanted to keep picking up speed. Now we were pretty heavy with a full tank of water and a full gas tank. Did I mention that we didn't have power brakes? We got towards the bottom and I remember seeing another sign saying Speed Limit 50. Maybe another 100 yards or so was a sign saying stop ahead. By the time we saw this sign, you can first see the intersection, and doing right about the speed limit it was too late. Jamming on the brakes of this monster without power brakes, and all that weight, it just was not gonna stop in time for the intersection. Now I got it slowed way down, when we got to the Stop Sign we were doing maybe 10 mph or a little less but lucky no one was coming as I just drove through the stop sign and cranked a left and we continued, shaking, to our destination. Point being is maybe this is fine for a car, but for a heavy vehicle, this intersection and the signage and the visibility, just everything about it is super dangerous if you're not familiar with it. Now just a few years ago, they finally banned trucks from this route. Also about 10 years ago they changed the configuration of this intersection. It used to come out at a 45 degree angle, which seems better to me. On google maps satellite view, you can make out the old roadway curving left along the tree line. That seemed a much better setup than what you have now. I do believe this hill and this intersection played a major role in this crash.

Thanks for the gripping account! That was my impression looking at the video of someone driving that route.

1. They should step down the speed limit from 50, then 35 to signal the hill and stop ahead.
2. The Stop Ahead sign is too close to the intersection. There needs to be a "Reduce Speed, Stop Head" at the top of the hill just at the curve, and a flashing sign. This drive would be a horrible nightmare in the dark - not knowing what was ahead.

From ABC News video

Ugh....

”we were pulling bodies out, they were still alive....and....we kept going..”

Those poor rescue workers--they'll never forget this as long as they live. The responder who was interviewed indicated they "used the jaws of life" to get them out.

Last edited:
I have to wonder if the limos were kept in that condition on purpose?

Did the driver scream anything (to the passengers) right when the accident occurred?

What, allahu akbar? Smh.

RBBM

To respond to the bolded question above, the limo in the crash was maintained in substandard condition. We now know this.

As the company had two or more other limos, these may have been barely road-worthy as well.

Face it - the owners probably didn't want to invest much, if anything, in their fleet.

I believe the other limos were impounded (I'll try and find that link and add it here).

MVHO.

ETA: Four vehicles seized, including the one in the crash.

Police seized four vehicles from the company including the one involved in the crash, and said the owner of the company could face criminal prosecution if they are at fault.

Limo crash in New York: Prestige Limousine's Ford Excursion limo failed inspection ahead of fatal crash in Upstate New York this weekend - CBS News

The owners have some 'splaining to do.

Last edited:
From ABC News video

Ugh....

”we were pulling bodies out, they were still alive....and....we kept going..”
I saw that interview tonight and that was the first time I heard that some were alive. I think I just assumed that they all died on impact. It will be interesting to see what the causes of death are.
Sending prayers to all the victims' families and friends.

I saw that interview tonight and that was the first time I heard that some were alive. I think I just assumed that they all died on impact. It will be interesting to see what the causes of death are.
Sending prayers to all the victims' families and friends.

I'm guessing severe internal injuries/bleeding. Ruptured aortas, ruptured organs, broken necks, traumatic brain injuries, possibly some impaled... things like that.
They will definitely be brutal injuries. At 60mph unrestrained, they always are.

But if the speed limit sign is 50 miles, it is not horribly unusual for a driver to be driving at 60. Technically, he was speeding, but on a highway, not an unusual situation.

There is some fault on either Shoharie or whoever is in control of that area of the interstate, too. After the first accident, things needed to change. Now, of course, they will.

I am sure they will make changes but my sense is nothing could have changed this a car with no brakes is a car with no breaks, I am surprised NTSB has not come out with some speed info

I saw a text from the birthday honoree to a friend where she stated that she wasn't sure she would make it through her bd celebration alive because of the condition of the bus (not an exact quote here), but haven't seen or heard this mentioned again. Anyone remember reading that? I keep hearing about the text about how noisy the ride was, but nothing about the other text.

And, concerning the "limo" ... from the side view, there is one long window on rear side, then some normal windows up to the I guess normal window of the driver's compartment. Not counting the long window on rear side or the driver's side window, how many normal windows are there on that vehicle?

I hope and pray that the guilty are severely punished for their parts in this tragedy. Sometimes it is so hard to be forgiving. Can't do it on this one (like many others.) It gets to be really tough reading on WS. So much sorrow, so much cruelty, so much undeserved death. Tough.

The aunt talked about it in an interview with CNN. There are links to stories upthread, iirc.

I saw a text from the birthday honoree to a friend where she stated that she wasn't sure she would make it through her bd celebration alive because of the condition of the bus (not an exact quote here), but haven't seen or heard this mentioned again. Anyone remember reading that? I keep hearing about the text about how noisy the ride was, but nothing about the other text.

And, concerning the "limo" ... from the side view, there is one long window on rear side, then some normal windows up to the I guess normal window of the driver's compartment. Not counting the long window on rear side or the driver's side window, how many normal windows are there on that vehicle?

I hope and pray that the guilty are severely punished for their parts in this tragedy. Sometimes it is so hard to be forgiving. Can't do it on this one (like many others.) It gets to be really tough reading on WS. So much sorrow, so much cruelty, so much undeserved death. Tough.

Limo crash: Vehicle in deadly crash was cleared to be on the road, company says - CNN

The attorney for the limousine company whose vehicle crashed in upstate New York on Saturday disputed statements from officials that the stretched Ford Excursion should have never been on the road.

Prestige Limousine Chauffeur Service attorney Lee Kindlon said the state Department of Transportation conducted a periodic inspection last week and discovered "minor safety infractions" including inoperative or defective windshield wipers and a broken latch on a window.

Both issues were fixed and, "as recently as last week they were told by the Department of Transportation that they could, that this vehicle was roadworthy and they could drive it," Kindlon said. "I am disputing that any recent failures of minor safety defects contributed to this crash," he said.

State officials charged back, saying the vehicle was not allowed to be in service.

"The assertion that the limousine was cleared to be on the road following the September inspection is categorically false," said Joseph Morrissey, spokesman for the New York State Department of Transportation, in a statement. "The vehicle was subject to inspections and the owner was warned not to operate the vehicle; the vehicle was placed out of service."

Last edited:
Limo driver's wife says husband had complained about company's cars

According to Kim, he's complained about Prestige's vehicles before.

"He did complain. There were a few times where he told me, like I overheard him say, 'I'm not going to drive this, like this, you need to give me another car,'" Kim said.

"So he knew something was wrong with those vehicles?" Morgan asked.

"Not really… he trusted in what the limo company said, that the cars were alright," Kim said. "But, please, I have to say, I feel for these victims, I feel for them….I am in no way trying to make it seem like its about me or my husband. I just want my husband to be vindicated….I have to stand for him 'cause nobody else will."

Limo driver's wife says husband had complained about company's cars

According to Kim, he's complained about Prestige's vehicles before.

"He did complain. There were a few times where he told me, like I overheard him say, 'I'm not going to drive this, like this, you need to give me another car,'" Kim said.

"So he knew something was wrong with those vehicles?" Morgan asked.

"Not really… he trusted in what the limo company said, that the cars were alright," Kim said. "But, please, I have to say, I feel for these victims, I feel for them….I am in no way trying to make it seem like its about me or my husband. I just want my husband to be vindicated….I have to stand for him 'cause nobody else will."

^^this is why that particular license is so important^^

It's absolutely true that no amount of money from insurance or a lawsuit would alleviate the crushing pain, but the money would be useful when raising the children who are now without parents to support them. Of course, the family will take on that responsibility, but their burden could be eased a tiny bit with insurance money.

jmo

They also have Social Security Survivors benefits available to the orphaned children. Young people sometimes overlook this benefit.

The funeral home will help them with it, or their lawyer will handle it. These poor people will need guidance, they are in no condition to make decisions alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState