GUILTY NY - Valerie Reyes, 24, found deceased, New Rochelle, 29 Jan 2019 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Court appearances delayed as possible plea deal talks continue in Reyes slaying

GREENWICH — Attorneys are continuing to discuss a possible plea agreement with the suspect charged in the kidnapping and murder of a young woman whose body was recovered in Greenwich in February.

Javier Da Silva, 24, has yet to enter plea in U.S. District Court in White Plains, N.Y., where he is facing a charge that he was responsible for the death of Valerie Reyes, a 24-year-old bookstore worker from New Rochelle, N.Y.
[.....]
According to the latest court filings, the lead prosecutor has “been engaging in preliminary discussions with the government concerning a possible disposition of this case without trial, and those discussions are ongoing,” the prosecutors’ motion says. A judge approved the latest request for more time to reach a plea deal late last month.
It was the sixth continuance of the case since Da Silva was arrested Feb. 12 in Queens, N.Y.
[.....]
The latest continuance will run through late Aug. 28.

A plea deal may be in the works for the Queens man charged with murder for allegedly leaving his ex to suffocate inside a suitcase he left on the side of the road in Greenwich, Conn., according to reports.

The negotiations were revealed in court filings in which prosecutors ask for more time as “preliminary” discussions on a deal for accused killer Javier Da Silva, 24, continue, Greenwichtime.com reported.
https://nypost.com/2019/08/17/plea-...-who-allegedly-stuffed-ex-in-suitcase-to-die/

Wednesday, August 28th:
*Status Hearing (@ am ET) - NY - Valerie Reyes (24) (missing Jan. 29, 2019, New Rochelle; reported missing Jan. 30; found Feb. 5 Port Chester/Greenwich border in CT (13 miles away)) - *Javier Enrique da Silva Rojas (24) arrested & charged (2/12/19) with kidnapping resulting in death. (Which carries a potential penalty of death or life in prison. Prosecutors have not yet indicated if they will seek death if he is convicted). Held without bond.
Information & court dates from 2/12/19 thru 3/13/19 reference post #458 here:
Found Deceased - NY - Valerie Reyes, 24, New Rochelle, 29 Jan 2019 *Arrest*

4/12/19 Update: The negotiations have not been completed and we plan to continue our discussions. The prosecutor has been given another month for negotiations, into early May.
8/16/19 Update: Plea negotiations are still in progress. Next status hearing on 8/28.

Okay - I'm going on a vacation (back to California!!!) for 2 weeks (starting 9/18 back on 10/2) - and this case I look up every week - so....

who is going to do that for me? I won't be taking my laptop with me - so I'm going to need some help from one of you that are following this case.

Here's the link I use to look up Javier Enrique da Silva Rojas. I've looked thru 9/18. Under "Court Calendars" - use the "weekly"& "Criminal" one.

You'll get a pdf file - you can CTRL with F and search by name - I usually search under "Javier".

Supreme & County Court of Westchester County | NYCOURTS.GOV

97x32px-LL-40ad66f8_thanx.gif
a BUNCH to whomever will do this!!

More evidence compiled in Valerie Reyes murder investigation

Investigators are compiling more information in the federal murder case against Javier Da Silva, the man accused of killing and dumping the body of a 24-year-old bookshop worker in Greenwich earlier this year.

More delays are sought by prosecutors, who are compiling evidence in the case involving the suffocation death last winter of Valerie Reyes, a resident of New Rochelle, N.Y., who had briefly dated Da Silva.
[.....]
Court papers and officials say discussions have been ongoing regarding a possible plea-deal to resolve the criminal case without a trial.

Da Silva still has yet to enter a plea in U.S. District Court in White Plains, N.Y., as negotiations continue between his defense lawyers and government prosecutors.
[.....]
The case against Da Silva was held over to mid-December. The suspect signed the latest request for additional time. If convicted of the federal charge, he could face the death penalty or life behind bars.

Dang - I wish they would give an actual court date.... :rolleyes:

More evidence compiled in Valerie Reyes murder investigation

Investigators are compiling more information in the federal murder case against Javier Da Silva, the man accused of killing and dumping the body of a 24-year-old bookshop worker in Greenwich earlier this year.

More delays are sought by prosecutors, who are compiling evidence in the case involving the suffocation death last winter of Valerie Reyes, a resident of New Rochelle, N.Y., who had briefly dated Da Silva.
[.....]
Court papers and officials say discussions have been ongoing regarding a possible plea-deal to resolve the criminal case without a trial.

Da Silva still has yet to enter a plea in U.S. District Court in White Plains, N.Y., as negotiations continue between his defense lawyers and government prosecutors.
[.....]
The case against Da Silva was held over to mid-December. The suspect signed the latest request for additional time. If convicted of the federal charge, he could face the death penalty or life behind bars.

Dang - I wish they would give an actual court date.... :rolleyes:

Thank you for posting this, Niner. I was just thinking about Valerie the other day.

Happy Thanksgiving, Websleuthers!! I hope your holiday is filled with joy.

I too think of Valerie often- beautiful with a fierceness and I so would have loved to be friends with her. So sad how some of the brightest lights are taken and far too early... I still can’t get over the way she felt like she was going to die without any hint or threat, the notion of that type of premonition rattles me to my core.
sending her loved ones a big hug.

Decision On Greenwich Suitcase Murder Case Delayed: Report

GREENWICH, CT — Over 10 months after the body of Valerie Reyes, 24, of New Rochelle, was found in a suitcase in Greenwich, a judge has agreed to a one-month extension regarding a resolution in the case.

John Craven of News 12 said on Twitter the judge agreed to another one-month extension Wednesday (12/18/19), however lawyers "must give a timeframe for a resolution" in January.

Craven included court documents in his tweet, which indicate a resolution will not come until at least after Jan. 15.

Decision On Greenwich Suitcase Murder Case Delayed: Report

GREENWICH, CT — Over 10 months after the body of Valerie Reyes, 24, of New Rochelle, was found in a suitcase in Greenwich, a judge has agreed to a one-month extension regarding a resolution in the case.

John Craven of News 12 said on Twitter the judge agreed to another one-month extension Wednesday (12/18/19), however lawyers "must give a timeframe for a resolution" in January.

Craven included court documents in his tweet, which indicate a resolution will not come until at least after Jan. 15.[/i]

Thanks, Niner! Was wondering what was going on in Valerie’s case. You always keep us up to date and it is appreciated. Happy Holidays to you and all fellow Websleuths - Emma

I'm going to put this here to I can keep track....

Wednesday, December 18:
*Status Hearing (@ am ET) - NY - Valerie Reyes (24) (missing Jan. 29, 2019, New Rochelle; reported missing Jan. 30; found Feb. 5 Port Chester/Greenwich border in CT (13 miles away)) - *Javier Enrique da Silva Rojas (24) arrested & charged (2/12/19) with federal kidnapping resulting in death. (Which carries a potential penalty of death or life in prison. Prosecutors have not yet indicated if they will seek death if he is convicted). Held without bond.

4/12/19 Update: The negotiations have not been completed and we plan to continue our discussions. The prosecutor has been given another month for negotiations, into early May.
8/16/19 Update: Plea negotiations are still in progress. Next status hearing on 8/28. 8/28/19: Next hearing on 9/25.
9/25/19 Update: Federal investigators are compiling more evidence for the case. Court papers & officials say discussions have been ongoing regarding a possible plea-deal to resolve the criminal case without a trial. Next hearing set for Dec. 18.
12/18/19 Update: Judge gives a one month extension however lawyers "must give a timeframe for a resolution" in January, but indicate a resolution will not come until at least after Jan. 15.

Little progress in Valerie Reyes murder a year after discovery

Feb. 4, 2020
GREENWICH — A town highway worker made a grisly discovery a year ago Wednesday. A red suitcase on the side of Glenville Road, found on Feb. 6, 2019, contained the body of a young woman.
[.....]
Da Silva, now 25, still has yet to enter a plea in U.S. District Court. If convicted, he could face life in prison, or possibly even the death penalty, though federal authorities have not imposed capital punishment for decades.

There are still a number of questions about the grisly murder that have not been publicly answered. Reyes and Da Silva had dated briefly, having met through a dating website in 2017, according to family members. But the sequence of events that played out before and after Da Silva came to Reyes’ New Rochelle apartment on the night of her death have yet to be confirmed.
[.....]
Da Silva’s next legal action is set for Feb. 12. His lawyers will have to ask for another extension for the plea bargain discussions to continue, or advance to the arraignment stage and enter a plea of guilty or not guilty.

The accused killer had been held at a federal detention unit at the Westchester County Jail.

Guilty Plea....sentencing to follow:

Guilty plea in killing of Valerie Reyes

Just horrific. Glad he pleaded guilty though. Still not sure of the motive...was it all about money, or some sick revenge/stalking? Based on him cleaning out her accounts and selling her iPad, it seems mostly money/greed driven, but hard to tell. It's heartbreaking. RIP Valerie.

Guilty Plea....sentencing to follow:

Guilty plea in killing of Valerie Reyes

from article:

Javier Da Silva, 25, entered a plea of guilty Wednesday in U.S. District Court in White Plains, N.Y., a year to the day that the body of Valerie Reyes was found in a suitcase off Glenville Road. Da Silva faces 30 years to life in prison on a federal charge of kidnapping. He will be sentenced May 21.

Not too sure IF this is happening - the court site is not updated.... maybe a video conference.

Thursday, May 21st:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ am ET) - NY - Valerie Reyes (24) (missing Jan. 29, 2019, New Rochelle; reported missing Jan. 30; found Feb. 5 Port Chester/Greenwich border in CT (13 miles away)) - *Javier Enrique da Silva Rojas (24/now 25) arrested & charged (2/12/19) with federal kidnapping resulting in death. (Which carries a potential penalty of death or life in prison. Prosecutors have not yet indicated if they will seek death if he is convicted). Held without bond.

8/16/19 Update: Plea negotiations are still in progress. Next status hearing on 8/28. 8/28/19: Next hearing on 9/25.
9/25/19 Update: Federal investigators are compiling more evidence for the case. Court papers & officials say discussions have been ongoing regarding a possible plea-deal to resolve the criminal case without a trial. Next hearing set for Dec. 18.
12/18/19 Update: Judge gives a one month extension however lawyers "must give a timeframe for a resolution" in January, but indicate a resolution will not come until at least after Jan. 15. 2/5/20: Da Silva entered a plea of guilty Wednesday in U.S. District Court. Da Silva faces 30 years to life in prison on a federal charge of kidnapping. He will be sentenced May 21.

Any news on whether sentencing happened? TIA! :)

I ask as I never get much updated articles when I google stuff.... I guess I'm "blocked" over here. :(

and you are quite welcome @Dre !

Sentencing delayed for man who killed woman found in Greenwich

May 23, 2020

GREENWICH — The sentencing of a man who pleaded guilty for his role in the death of a young woman whose body he transported to Greenwich was postponed this week until later this summer.

Javier Da Silva, 25, was due for sentencing May 21 at the U.S. District Court in White Plains, N.Y. But it has been delayed until Aug. 9.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
there always an answer
Back