GUILTY NY - Vincent Viafore, 46, Newburgh, 19 April 2015 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Greetings WebSleuths!
Anyone want to go for a paddle in The Pacific Ocean using the kayak Vincent Viafore did?
With-Out The Drain-Age Plug Screwed In?

Below is a video where I did another test.
Fun kayak, stable, paddles good.

Water conditions this day:
Sunny, warm weather, 60° water temp, calm winds, small to non-existant surf.
After some 20 minutes of paddling, dealing with small waves, conversing with a couple of novice surfers, I sank. I was glad that I got closer to shore. You might say I was a bit surprised...

[video=youtube;EbLXAAOlkE4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbLXAAOlkE4[/video]

Check it out on a computer if possible, as it was how I'm learning to edit with and it will show you what's happening better. From the 13 minute onward, uh-oh...

In this video test,
for the 1st time I am wearing a diving weight belt, with an extra 14 lbs of weight added.
My approximate weight was about 192 lbs. I betcha Viafore, a bigger dude, weighed more than that, so his stern, and that open drain-age hole, would have consistently been lower in the water. Some water did get into the kayak as I dealt with paddling into, over, and thru the little waves, as I am sure would have happened to Viafore, for he would have dealt with strong winds creating many, many many wind driven white-capped choppy Hudson River waves splashing about. And over his stern. 10 to 15 minutes of this?
He too would have sank.

See ya,
RW
:)

Then he too should have noted this beforehand and he too should have worn appropriate gear.

Greetings RickshawFan!
Reading your post above, you seem to make it sound as if the kayak Vinny Viafore was paddling in on the day he died was a death trap, his death guaranted, it was just a-waiting to happen.

I happen to dis-agree.
I find it odd that his kayak did not fill up with water due to strong winds and white-capping waves as he 1st paddled over to Bannerman Island. If his drain-age plug had already been removed...

I also find it odd that he did not capsize immediately when 1st paddling back from Bannerman Island, heading home to the original departure launch area of Plum Point. Why? Any surfer, kayaker, boater or waterman knows any type of wave is steeper, higher + that they break harder in shallower water near the shoreline than those waves that swell up farther off the shoreline, out to sea.

Vinny Viafore's kayak "accident" happened some 10-15 minutes out into the paddle back.
1/2 to 2/3rds of the way back. NOT near shore.

I've made mention here, + elsewhere, that I've been ah, doin' some tests.
Now keep in mind I ain't no expert, esh, I've never takin' a kayak pddlin' class, it's all been self taught, ok? But I have spent many hours in the *advertiser censored*-pit seat, so I'm kinda experienced, ya might say. Esh, The Vinny yak I sometimes paddle now has over 50 some-odd miles on it...

Now have a look at some of the many pix that my gal Melissa shot of me in small surf near shore here on a beach in Los Angeles on December 24, 2015, the day before Christmas, ok?

12/24/15 - 3:38:01pm
[SIZE=-2]Photo:© Melissa Shirley[/SIZE]

12/24/15 - 3:38:13pm

12/24/15 - 3:38:32pm

12/24/15 - 3:39:06pm

12/24/15 - 3:39:07pm

12/24/15 - 3:39:11pm

12/24/15 - 3:39:35pm

12/24/15 - 3:39:42pm

The waves I sometimes do tests in are waaay bigger that any I have ever seen in any video or photo's from out near Bannerman Island on The Hudson River.

Do not believe me?
Have a look, ok?

Kayakers near Bannerman Island:

Crazy Waves approach the stern of a kayaker near Bannerman Island:

1 of The River Rats wind surfin' off Bannerman Island on The Hudson River:

I'm an old surfer from Los Angeles
and still, every day, my life revolves around waves, swells, wind.
Don'tcha find it odd that when I paddled The Vinny yak it did not capsize
nor toss me into the cold waters of The Pacific Ocean in these tests I did on Christmas Eve?

Can you not see the water overcoming the stern of The Vinny kayak?
He was taller + weighed more than I do. His stern woulda been lower in the water.

If the drain-age hole plug on the stern of his kayak
was "accidentally" removed because the cat was playing with it,
well, Vinny is toast, as you put it...

My 2¢ only,
RW
:seeya:

Haven't viewed all your cool videos, just responding first to your comment that waves are always steeper and higher near shore. That's true for ocean surf, but definitely not true on rivers.

The largest standing waves I've ever kayaked through were over 5' high, river level to crest, and those suckers were smack in the middle of a stretch on the New River, WV (class 3-5 whitewater).

River waves are created by different forces than ocean waves, with some overlap, of course. Close proximity to shore (riverbanks) on a river is not even a guarantee of shallow water, much less a predictor of wave height.

Greetings WebSleuths!
Please allow me to share some more pix of another test I did.
A test done that might help confirm or deny if it is possible for a good amount of water
to enter the open drain-age hole on top of the stern of the kayak Vinny was paddling.

Below is a screen grab from an ABC show, I've linked it before here.
The dudes who were doing the test poured some water from that Home Depot bucket
into the open *advertiser censored*-pit seating area, and then let it pour outta the open drain-age hole:

Intrigued, I wondered what it would look like if someone held the stern of Vinny's kayak under water, without waves washing into the open *advertiser censored*-pit seating area, so I mounted a coupla cameras on The Vinny kayak and had my gal Melissa, who surfs and who has kayak paddled it too, help me photograph this particular test.

If water is constantly coming over the stern, could it sink the kayak?
Heck, I seem to recall that Angelika herself says this is what happened out there on The Hudson River.
Maybe someday I'll edit some video, until then, enjoy the pix...

I've removed the drain-age plug.
We know, by a comparison photo that I shot before,
that the open drain-age hole is a bit larger than a regular garden hose.
Photo: © Melissa Shirley

A Contour camera is mounted inside the kayak, behind the seat.
Photo: © Randy Wright

Melissa's keeping warm, + will use a Canon DSLR and a coupla Canon Vixia camera to also video the test.

I'm heading out, lets see what happens if the stern is held under water for a short while, ok?

Thumbs up, let's start this test!

Grasping ahold of the stern, you can now see what it looks like from inside the stern of the kayak before I dunk it. See the shadow of my hands on the stern and that open drain-age hole? You can also see the Pacific Ocean waterline bellow my hands outside the kayak.

This test is now started, the stern of The Vinny kayak is under water!
I wondered what was going on inside the kayak???
Date: 12-24-2015
Time: 3:58:03 pm in Los Angeles.

Here is what it looks like inside the stern area as water is flowing inside.

Date: 12-24-2015
Time: 3:58:28 pm

Looks like lots more water inside the stern now.

Date:12-24-2015 Time: 3:59:43 pm
This particular test is done.

Yep, lots of water in there.

Drain-age time! Look at that water flowin' out!
Time: 4:00:19 pm

Still more water comin' out of that small hole...
Time: 4:00:39 pm

This test was less than 2 minutes long.
IF Vinny Viafore had small waves pushing water constantly come over his stern every few seconds
for some 10-15 minutes, he would have sank IF his drain-age plug was removed,
even if he had a skirt on his open *advertiser censored*-pit...
My 2¢ only,
RW
:seeya:

Holding your stern under water is not a fair test of how much water an upright kayak takes on when waves are splashing over the stern.

BTW...I'm totally envious of your playground and toys. :)

Greetings Hope4More,
Thanks for the replies, I look forward to the debate.

Might I ask that you simply watch,
when you have time, that video I posted earlier today?
It will show what I believe happened to Vincent Viafore over 10 to 15 minutes on The Hudson.
He did not capsize or sink near shore when he left Bannerman Island, he went under 1/2 to 2/3rds of the way back, I believe.

The "RW holding the stern under water" test you mentioned above was a re-buttal to an TV News test,
for I am curious if water can come in there, etc. For this is what the police are stating, and most do not believe it could happen, right?

I do not weigh more than Vincent Viafore did, I betcha. Dude probably was what 220lbs or so?
Yet water can come in thru that open drain-age plug hole, if just paddling, or being held under...

I'm goin' up against alotta experts, + have plenty of hours kayaking, but I ain't an "expert", just an experienced dude from back in the DogTown/Z-Boyz era of L.A.'s beach history, who likes to look for sharks from a kayak in the near shore waters of Los Angeles, and also do distance kayak paddling here in L.A. area. That said, some anonymous chick wrote me in debate elsewhere, from seeing me ride a wave in "The Vinny" kayak, that I don't even know how to sit in a kayak, hahaha! Too funny!
:lol:

Glad I can sit well enough in a kayak
that I did not fall outta this kayak below when "Spot",
a 7 foot Great White Shark was hangin' out with me!

Photo:© Rwright

I seem to recall that you are in the kayak biz, right? Cool.
I'll enjoy learning of your experiences too.

As I've earned a few paychecks for surfing waves back in days of my youth, well I'll enjoy discussing with you some of what kinda waves that The Hudson River might have. From what I've seen, it's not much. Not even when the winds blow pretty good and the wind-surfers, The River Rats they call 'em, are out there. Heck, the wind waves weren't even that big when the search for Viafore was underway on Monday, April 20, 2015, as we can see video from that day and read the Bannerman Island wind reports from the wind gauge that The River Rats had installed on the weather/light beacon seen adjacent to The Island...

As you made mention of river waves, and my statement that they break near shore in shallow water, well I coulda wrote it better. Like I should have said: Generally speaking...

Speaking of shallow water, here's a screen grab photo from marine chart showing the water depth of The Hudson near Bannerman. Good info, shows a deep water channel in the middle, but much shallower near shore, kinda like off the shore from the beach where I am typing from right now:

But check out this pic, shot at Bannerman Island,
looking down upon the Hudson. Towards West Point, I believe:

See the breaking waves, hi-lighted by the blue star? They were caused by blowing winds, winds that have reversed direction I'd bectha, for there does not appear to be wind chop/white caps all over the place. See how close these waves are to the shore, verses the deeper water line, high-lighted by the arrow where you can see the water depth drop off near the channel? This is what I mean when I write of waves breaking in shallower water. Waves in deeper water, say 35 to 50 feet deep? I'd call them wind swells, but what do I know...

See ya,
RW

Rwight, that was a great video and experiment! Loved the inset view. Thank you so much for all of your tests. You are such an asset to this thread.

From ABC News(*):
Angelika Graswald-
“We were already in the water. I’m like, ‘Yo, where’s your plug. Are you kidding me? I was mad at him,” she told investigators. “His boat starting to get lower in the water… because of the waves, because of the plug not being in there… [The kayak] started to fill up, and I knew that the plug wasn’t in there. I was like ‘oh this is not good.’”

Anyone really interested in the case we discuss,
who does not believe what Angelika herself stated above about the missing drain-age plug and whether it really could have caused or helped cause Vincent Viafore's kayak to sink, should spend a little time + watch that video I posted at the top of this page.

I'm not some commercial news station trying to make $$$$ + sell commercials for advertisers, just a dude who knows what would have happened if Angelika allegedly did indeed unscrew + remove Vinny's drain-age plug....

In the vid I mention that I have posted above,
I had mounted 1 Contour video camera behind the seat, on the cargo hatch cover to record to stern area and the missing drain-age plug hole, and I mounted another Contour camera that shot some 941 photos from in front of the open *advertiser censored*-pit seating area, to show when I dealt with any little waves. I tried to correctly sync the pix as good as I could in picture-in-picture style. I suck at editing vidz, but the video is pretty convincing, in that the missing drain-age screw caused, or helped cause Vincent Viafore's kayak to sink, as darkness approached. By the way, it does not take 20 to 25 minutes to call 911 for help as your dude is freezing + trying to stay afloat in 46° water...

My opinions only,
RW

(*) - Link:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/york-kayak...ation-video-reveals-details/story?id=33696436

From ABC News(*):
Angelika Graswald-
“We were already in the water. I’m like, ‘Yo, where’s your plug. Are you kidding me? I was mad at him,” she told investigators. “His boat starting to get lower in the water… because of the waves, because of the plug not being in there… [The kayak] started to fill up, and I knew that the plug wasn’t in there. I was like ‘oh this is not good.’”

Anyone really interested in the case we discuss,
who does not believe what Angelika herself stated above about the missing drain-age plug and whether it really could have caused or helped cause Vincent Viafore's kayak to sink, should spend a little time + watch that video I posted at the top of this page.

I'm not some commercial news station trying to make $$$$ + sell commercials for advertisers, just a dude who knows what would have happened if Angelika allegedly did indeed unscrew + remove Vinny's drain-age plug....

In the vid I mention that I have posted above,
I had mounted 1 Contour video camera behind the seat, on the cargo hatch cover to record to stern area and the missing drain-age plug hole, and I mounted another Contour camera that shot some 941 photos from in front of the open *advertiser censored*-pit seating area, to show when I dealt with any little waves. I tried to correctly sync the pix as good as I could in picture-in-picture style. I suck at editing vidz, but the video is pretty convincing, in that the missing drain-age screw caused, or helped cause Vincent Viafore's kayak to sink, as darkness approached. By the way, it does not take 20 to 25 minutes to call 911 for help as your dude is freezing + trying to stay afloat in 46° water...

My opinions only,
RW

(*) - Link:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/york-kayak...ation-video-reveals-details/story?id=33696436

RW, I think you should submit your videos to Elizabeth Vargas at 20/20, who did the segment on her. They seem to think Angelika is innocent. Your tests were far more thorough than the ones they conducted and aired.

Greetings Hope4More,
Thanks for the replies, I look forward to the debate.

Might I ask that you simply watch,
when you have time, that video I posted earlier today?
It will show what I believe happened to Vincent Viafore over 10 to 15 minutes on The Hudson.
He did not capsize or sink near shore when he left Bannerman Island, he went under 1/2 to 2/3rds of the way back, I believe.

The "RW holding the stern under water" test you mentioned above was a re-buttal to an TV News test,
for I am curious if water can come in there, etc. For this is what the police are stating, and most do not believe it could happen, right?

I do not weigh more than Vincent Viafore did, I betcha. Dude probably was what 220lbs or so?
Yet water can come in thru that open drain-age plug hole, if just paddling, or being held under...

I'm goin' up against alotta experts, + have plenty of hours kayaking, but I ain't an "expert", just an experienced dude from back in the DogTown/Z-Boyz era of L.A.'s befry, who likes to look for sharks from a kayak in the near shore waters of Los Angeles, and also do distance kayak paddling here in L.A. area. That said, some anonymous chick wrote me in debate elsewhere, from seeing me ride a wave in "The Vinny" kayak, that I don't even know how to sit in a kayak, hahaha! Too funny!
:lol:

Glad I can sit well enough in a kayak
that I did not fall outta this kayak below when "Spot",
a 7 foot Great White Shark was hangin' out with me!

Photo:© Rwright

I seem to recall that you are in the kayak biz, right? Cool.
I'll enjoy learning of your experiences too.

As I've earned a few paychecks for surfing waves back in days of my youth, well I'll enjoy discussing with you some of what kinda waves that The Hudson River might have. From what I've seen, it's not much. Not even when the winds blow pretty good and the wind-surfers, The River Rats they call 'em, are out there. Heck, the wind waves weren't even that big when the search for Viafore was underway on Monday, April 20, 2015, as we can see video from that day and read the Bannerman Island wind reports from the wind gauge that The River Rats had installed on the weather/light beacon seen adjacent to The Island...

As you made mention of river waves, and my statement that they break near shore in shallow water, well I coulda wrote it better. Like I should have said: Generally speaking...

Speaking of shallow water, here's a screen grab photo from marine chart showing the water depth of The Hudson near Bannerman. Good info, shows a deep water channel in the middle, but much shallower near shore, kinda like off the shore from the beach where I am typing from right now:

But check out this pic, shot at Bannerman Island,
looking down upon the Hudson. Towards West Point, I believe:

See the breaking waves, hi-lighted by the blue star? They were caused by blowing winds, winds that have reversed direction I'd bectha, for there does not appear to be wind chop/white caps all over the place. See how close these waves are to the shore, verses the deeper water line, high-lighted by the arrow where you can see the water depth drop off near the channel? This is what I mean when I write of waves breaking in shallower water. Waves in deeper water, say 35 to 50 feet deep? I'd call them wind swells, but what do I know...

See ya,
RW

Hey wave-man.

I've spent time near the Hudson in that area, but haven't paddled the river because it's not my kind of water. Class 1 or 2- -piffle riffles, rockless, chuteless, and unchallenging.

My kind of waves are found in narrow rivers defined by rock and steep gradients, not in deep water channels or on water slapped around by mere wind.

Fine river running is when you are in your boat and the water underneath is powerful enough that you can feel it vibrating under your extended legs even between rapids, when holes are what you twirly dance in by the bow of your boat, and when the best stretch of paddling happens in the few seconds when you see the tops of trees but nothing else except the lip of river before it and you plunge dozens of feet down a plumed waterfall into foam. :)

There's your river talk.

I tried to watch your video but it glitches out, and I can't make sense of what looks like 6-7 separate pieces of rolling film.

To cut to the chase though, about the plug, even before considering how much water plugless allowed in. It was Vincent's kayak. Nobody forced him into it. Paddling that day was his idea. He had paddled the same plugless boat to the island. The wind didn't pick up until they were on the island, but even so, according to your theory, he couldn't have failed to notice that he was sitting in an ever increasing amount of cold water as he paddled to the island.

He had some beers, early evening came along as did the wind. Vincent didn't notice the plug was missing? Doubt that, since he'd have emptied out his boat before he got back in later. He wasn't wearing a wet suit, and unless he was drunk there's no way IMO he plopped his butt down into a pool of cold water. If there was any water in there, which there must have been if from no other source than the occassional water splashed into his skirtless cockpit.

Do these kayaks really not have built in flotation? Crazy.

I think the other unacknowleded factors include just how cold the water was, and how quickly an inexperienced paddler with a few beers in him might find himself tiring, getting anxious, making bad decisions, and losing control of his boat because his hands were getting numbed by dipping them in river.

As for Angelika. I thought there was some dispute as to how long she waited before calling for help? And whether or not she deliberately capsized her boat?

IMO the most compelling thing you've found is that photo of one of their kayaks with the plug securely in close to the time of their Bannerman death trip. But was that kayak his or hers?

<snip>
New York requires the PFD to be worn by kayakers between November 1 and May 1. For other months, it's required to be in the kayak and accessible (this rule is common to many states).

http://parks.ny.gov/recreation/boating/safe-boating/life-jackets.aspx

This kayak couple were flagrantly disregarding the regulations for PFD's.
This whole situation is just all wrong. I don't believe anything this woman says....

Greetings Websleuths!
RickshawFan and K1-paddler at IA have helped me better understand the issue
I am about to address and have spurred on my periodic research into this case we discuss.
Thanks, for I am only interested in "the truth!"
You are too, right?

Supposedly Vincent Viafore did not have a PFD, aka a life jacket with him when he died.
Heck, in a recent sit down interview from prison with Elizabeth Vargas,
Angelika says, IIRC, that Vinny did not have one.

What does that mean?
He did not have 1 the night he died on The Hudson?
He did not own 1? He only bought a PFD for Angelika?
He owned 1 but forgot it? Angelika hid it? The cat was playing with it?
Hmmmm, I'm intrigued again, once more!

It seems that everyone in the news media has towed that line.
Viafore did not have a PFD.

I now believe that they are WRONG!

Have a look at this pic below,
it was shot on Bannerman Island from what I understand
and Angelika posted it on Instagram back in June of 2014.
Remember, I too have Vincent Viafore's kayak. The more I look at this pic,
the more I see and find clues, some are overlooked I believe. More on that later...

See Vinny's blue kayak and seat cushion? See the handles on the seat cushion?
What are those all about?

Spending a few more minutes digging into this intriguing "accident",
ahhh, alleged murder case, well I found this, another probable over looked clue.
Something that sure looks like a Coast Guard approved Type IV throwable floatation device!
In Vincent Viafore's kayak.

Is that seat cushion Vincent Viafore's PFD?

I have a book titled "Not Without Hope".
Some might recall hearing of and following, like I did, the story of a terrible boating accident a few years back when NFL players died after their boat capsized on The Gulf after a day of fishing. 1 guy, Will Bleakley, used a seat cushion for floatation as he too tried to survive in vain on that over turned capsized boat. Recently reading again some chapters of this very detailed book, well this got me wondering after seeing that pic of Vinny's kayak, are seat cushions commonly used as floatation devices + are they accepted + Coast Guard approved as floatation devices? It appears that some indeed are.

Here's a close up pic of 1 for sale:

This sure looks like the seat cushion seen on Vincent Viafore's kayak.
Hmmmm.

Here's a description of it from a Iboats.com:
Make sure your boat is legal with these U.S. Coast Guard approved throwable flotation cushion. Convenient webbing grab straps for aid in throwing during rescue, and double as convenient carry handles. Functional and comfortable PE foam. Strong, durable nylon oxford shell withstands abrasions. Cushions measure 15" x 15" x 2-1/2". US Coast Guard approved Type IV Throwable Device.
Kent's boat cushions are constructed of a durable heavy duty coated polyester fabric
Buoyancy is provided by multiple layers of polyethylene foam
Each is equipped with two readily accessible polypropylene straps
Cushions measure 15" x 15" x 2-1/2"
US Coast Guard approved and UL Listed, Type IV Throwable Device
USCG Approval No. 160.064/3373/0

Link:
http://www.iboats.com/Kent-Boat-Cushions/dm/cart_id.432289143--session_id.662634355--view_id.38850

That Kent Type IV seat cushion is for sale at Dicks Sporting Goods,
where Vinny's kayak was most like purchased. Like mine:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11639727

What do you think?
Is that a Kent Type IV seat cushion floation device?
Are the "experts" and the news media wrong on this issue?
Did Vinny have a PFD?

Doubt me about what I'm intrigued about tonight?

Well, here's an interesting article from CBS News,
describing in further detail what went down on The Hudson River that evening:
"The waves are doing their thing, up and down like that," she motioned with her arms. "I saw that it started to fill up, and I knew that the plug wasn't there."

Then Viafore was suddenly in the water, holding his seat cushion that floats,
Graswald says, his kayak and a dry bag.
Angelika took his paddle and hooked it to her kayak.

"He's in the water, I have both paddles ... and the waves are pulling me away from him further and further. And that's when he yells, 'Call 911!'" she continued.

Link:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/interrogation-video-raises-key-questions-in-new-york-kayak-murder-case/

See ya, RW

Greetings Websleuths!
RickshawFan and K1-paddler at IA have helped me better understand the issue
I am about to address and have spurred on my periodic research into this case we discuss.
Thanks, for I am only interested in "the truth!"
You are too, right?

Supposedly Vincent Viafore did not have a PFD, aka a life jacket with him when he died.
Heck, in a recent sit down interview from prison with Elizabeth Vargas,
Angelika says, IIRC, that Vinny did not have one.

What does that mean?
He did not have 1 the night he died on The Hudson?
He did not own 1? He only bought a PFD for Angelika?
He owned 1 but forgot it? Angelika hid it? The cat was playing with it?
Hmmmm, I'm intrigued again, once more!

It seems that everyone in the news media has towed that line.
Viafore did not have a PFD.

I now believe that they are WRONG!

Have a look at this pic below,
it was shot on Bannerman Island from what I understand
and Angelika posted it on Instagram back in June of 2014.
Remember, I too have Vincent Viafore's kayak. The more I look at this pic,
the more I see and find clues, some are overlooked I believe. More on that later...

See Vinny's blue kayak and seat cushion? See the handles on the seat cushion?
What are those all about?

Spending a few more minutes digging into this intriguing "accident",
ahhh, alleged murder case, well I found this, another probable over looked clue.
Something that sure looks like a Coast Guard approved Type IV throwable floatation device!
In Vincent Viafore's kayak.

Is that seat cushion Vincent Viafore's PFD?

I have a book titled "Not Without Hope".
Some might recall hearing of and following, like I did, the story of a terrible boating accident a few years back when NFL players died after their boat capsized on The Gulf after a day of fishing. 1 guy, Will Bleakley, used a seat cushion for floatation as he too tried to survive in vain on that over turned capsized boat. Recently reading again some chapters of this very detailed book, well this got me wondering after seeing that pic of Vinny's kayak, are seat cushions commonly used as floatation devices + are they accepted + Coast Guard approved as floatation devices? It appears that some indeed are.

Here's a close up pic of 1 for sale:

This sure looks like the seat cushion seen on Vincent Viafore's kayak.
Hmmmm.

Here's a description of it from a Iboats.com:
Make sure your boat is legal with these U.S. Coast Guard approved throwable flotation cushion. Convenient webbing grab straps for aid in throwing during rescue, and double as convenient carry handles. Functional and comfortable PE foam. Strong, durable nylon oxford shell withstands abrasions. Cushions measure 15" x 15" x 2-1/2". US Coast Guard approved Type IV Throwable Device.
Kent's boat cushions are constructed of a durable heavy duty coated polyester fabric
Buoyancy is provided by multiple layers of polyethylene foam
Each is equipped with two readily accessible polypropylene straps
Cushions measure 15" x 15" x 2-1/2"
US Coast Guard approved and UL Listed, Type IV Throwable Device
USCG Approval No. 160.064/3373/0

Link:
http://www.iboats.com/Kent-Boat-Cushions/dm/cart_id.432289143--session_id.662634355--view_id.38850

That Kent Type IV seat cushion is for sale at Dicks Sporting Goods,
where Vinny's kayak was most like purchased. Like mine:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11639727

What do you think?
Is that a Kent Type IV seat cushion floation device?
Are the "experts" and the news media wrong on this issue?
Did Vinny have a PFD?

Doubt me about what I'm intrigued about tonight?

Well, here's an interesting article from CBS News,
describing in further detail what went down on The Hudson River that evening:
"The waves are doing their thing, up and down like that," she motioned with her arms. "I saw that it started to fill up, and I knew that the plug wasn't there."

Graswald says, his kayak and a dry bag.
Angelika took his paddle and hooked it to her kayak.

"He's in the water, I have both paddles ... and the waves are pulling me away from him further and further. And that's when he yells, 'Call 911!'" she continued.

Link:
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/interrogation-video-raises-key-questions-in-new-york-kayak-murder-case/

See ya, RW

I don't understand your point. She said he had a floatable cushion he was holding onto, which is what you've described.

Doesn't matter what you call it--- a floatable cushion thingy or a PFD, if he wasn't WEARING the thing.

Wearing a PFD, in my world aka a lifejacket, is about the thing keeping one afloat regardless of one's ability to help keep oneself afloat.

Floatable cushion thingy or PFD one sits on with handles, Vincent was in extremely cold water, dressed for a casual autumn outdoor picnic rather than for protecting himself against hypothermia.

Within pretty short order he wouldn't have been able to hold onto his paddle, or boat, or.....a floatable seat cushion thingy with handles aka a PFD best suited for summer lake paddling, maybe.

Graswald says, his kayak and a dry bag. Angelika took his paddle and hooked it to her kayak.

I don't understand your point.
She said he had a floatable cushion he was holding onto, which is what you've described.
<snip>

Hi Hope4More!
Vincent Viafore had a Coast Guard approved PFD on his kayak!
And for many, many months, everyone in The Media has been saying that he did not...

RW scenario:
Vincent is in the water, his kayak is full of water,
like I was + mine was in my last test on Jan. 1st of this year:

1st thing he would have grabbed was his Coast Guard approved Type IV PFD!
It doubled as a seat cushion for the dude, a big boy. Heck, he might have already have strapped it on while paddling out on the water, because conditions were very windy and choppy.

Why do I say so?
Well I kayak often by myself off shore, and sometimes even sail my 15ft Cobra Tourer in winds even stronger than what Vincent dealt with. I've had my Wylie's Bait + Tackle hat ripped off my head before in strong offshore Santa Ana winds, + was never able to retrieve it in time, it was gone. Those winds gusting in the 20 to 30 mile per hour range are pretty strong indeed! In strong winds, Viafore might have easily had his light PFD blown away from him as he went into the water, unless he had it on him already or in his hands grasp.

If he did not do so already, Viafore would have put it on his back, using the straps, might have tossed Angelika his paddle, and with his hands freed up now he could easily open his cargo hold hatch located behind his seating area to then grab his dry bag, which, when closed properly, is full of air, and is also another floatation device.

I might try to visualize what he did next,
he might he have put the dry bag under water between his legs to further aid his ability to stay afloat, as he then also grabbed ahold of his kayak, which though full of water (like my own "Vinny kayak" was on Jan. 1st of this year in my last test), was still barely stay afloat. And told Angelika to call 911.

In cold water of 46°,
Vincent would have done this very, very quickly.
This did not take much time to do.

Surely I do not have to do another test to show folks who doubt this, or do I?
As he held onto his kayak, he seems to have asked Angelika to call 911 for help and assistance.
This allegedly happened 10 to 15 minutes into the paddle back towards Plum Point from Bannerman Island.
At around 7:15pm.

Angelika called 911 at approx. 7:40pm.

I'll reiterate this once again,
it does not, repeat, does not take 20 to 25 minutes to get a cell phone outta your purse,
(which was not in a very hard to reach cargo hold behind the seating area, but right near the suspects feet), and then call 911 for help.

The only reason I can see for doing so is that she wanted him dead.

Read more of Angelika's interrogation,
where she talks of who changes their mind after proposing,
or as she speaks of "Angels + Demons", and how The Detectives do not want to see that side of her.
Intriguing stuff, The Detectives sure brain-washed her in that therapy session.

By the way, didn't the suspect, Angelika Graswald, say this to The Detectives?
picture.php

And I'm ok with it?
picture.php

I'm ok with that?
picture.php

Hmmmm.
My opinions only,
RW

Hi Hope4More!
Vincent Viafore had a Coast Guard approved PFD on his kayak!
And for many, many months, everyone in The Media has been saying that he did not...

RW scenario:
Vincent is in the water, his kayak is full of water,
like I was + mine was in my last test on Jan. 1st of this year:

1st thing he would have grabbed was his Coast Guard approved Type IV PFD!
It doubled as a seat cushion for the dude, a big boy. Heck, he might have already have strapped it on while paddling out on the water, because conditions were very windy and choppy.

Why do I say so?
Well I kayak often by myself off shore, and sometimes even sail my 15ft Cobra Tourer in winds even stronger than what Vincent dealt with. I've had my Wylie's Bait + Tackle hat ripped off my head before in strong offshore Santa Ana winds, + was never able to retrieve it in time, it was gone. Those winds gusting in the 20 to 30 mile per hour range are pretty strong indeed! In strong winds, Viafore might have easily had his light PFD blown away from him as he went into the water, unless he had it on him already or in his hands grasp.

If he did not do so already, Viafore would have put it on his back, using the straps, might have tossed Angelika his paddle, and with his hands freed up now he could easily open his cargo hold hatch located behind his seating area to then grab his dry bag, which, when closed properly, is full of air, and is also another floatation device.

I might try to visualize what he did next,
he might he have put the dry bag under water between his legs to further aid his ability to stay afloat, as he then also grabbed ahold of his kayak, which though full of water (like my own "Vinny kayak" was on Jan. 1st of this year in my last test), was still barely stay afloat. And told Angelika to call 911.

In cold water of 46°,
Vincent would have done this very, very quickly.
This did not take much time to do.

Surely I do not have to do another test to show folks who doubt this, or do I?
As he held onto his kayak, he seems to have asked Angelika to call 911 for help and assistance.
This allegedly happened 10 to 15 minutes into the paddle back towards Plum Point from Bannerman Island.
At around 7:15pm.

Angelika called 911 at approx. 7:40pm.

I'll reiterate this once again,
it does not, repeat, does not take 20 to 25 minutes to get a cell phone outta your purse,
(which was not in a very hard to reach cargo hold behind the seating area, but right near the suspects feet), and then call 911 for help.

The only reason I can see for doing so is that she wanted him dead.

Read more of Angelika's interrogation,
where she talks of who changes their mind after proposing,
or as she speaks of "Angels + Demons", and how The Detectives do not want to see that side of her.
Intriguing stuff, The Detectives sure brain-washed her in that therapy session.

By the way, didn't the suspect, Angelika Graswald, say this to The Detectives?
picture.php

And I'm ok with it?
picture.php

I'm ok with that?
picture.php

Hmmmm.
My opinions only,
RW

Have you ever flipped suddenly into river water that cold? I have, in my first year of paddling. Like Vincent, I was not wearing a wetsuit. Unlike Vincent, I was wearing a lifejacket.

Rolling was already second nature, an automatic reflex, but the second my upper body hit the water I was in shock. I didn't roll, though that was obviously my best choice. Instead I came right out of my kayak, pushed my way out.

Then I was fully exposed to the water. Within a couple of minutes, max, I couldn't hold onto paddle or boat. I was gasping for air even though my head was above water, at least when the water wasn't smashing me down under waves.

It was terrifying, and I don't say that lightly. I lost all orientation very quickly, and even though I'm a strong and pretty fearless swimmer, I could not make my body obey me to swim at an angle towards shore, to use your term. ;)

I don't see your scenario as realistic, especially with a tiring cold Vincent with a few beers in him, who I'm willing to bet underestimated the danger he was in for pretty much his entire outing, and I'm not referring to Angelika.

When did he tell her to call 911? Who else but her could say when? If she wanted to kill him and walk away free, why would she provide a time that would suggest - but not prove anything- she didn't do all she could to save him?

Greeting Hope4More!
Angelika, in that statement I quoted from,
tells us that Vincent had his seat cushion that floats, a Coast Guard approved PFD, with him when he was in the water. She knew it floated, betcha she was probably there at Dicks Sporting Goods if Vinny bought the kayaks, paddles and Angelika her own PFD there.

I've pointed it out that Vincent either had the straps of his PFD on him when he went in, or he grabbed it as he went in, for the winds would have blown that PFD away from him very fast. Vinny did open his cargo hatch and pull out his dry bag, he might have even inflated it better for all we know. He did at some point get rid of his paddle, either when he went into the water or he tossed it to Angelika. And she does state that he held onto his barely afloat kayak.

I wonder if he tried to grasp ahold of Angelika's kayak,
might she have pushed him away using her kayak paddle,
causing the 2" abrasion on his left torso, and the 2 other bruises also?

I have no answer to why Angelika speaks and doesn't cover up any of her lies well,
if she is indeed telling lies.

I have read that on Bannerman Island on April 30th,
she told 1 of The Detectives that she wanted Vince to drown and removed Viafore's drain-age plug.
I seem to recall this was the reason she was brought in further questioned,
being led off Bannerman Island in handcuffs, IIRC.

Was the Detective who heard Angelika saying this lying?
Or was Angelika still battling her "Angels and Demons"?
Who knows?

Link to ABC News 20/20:
http://abcnews.go.com/US/york-kayak-murder-case-timeline-events-mysterious-death/story?id=34973210

See you next time,
RW

Here's a little bit more with Angelika,
as she talks of "Angels and Demons":

She also talked about feeling emotionally torn out on the river, after the police asked her what was going through her mind. &#8220;I&#8217;m like ripping in two halves,&#8221; she said. &#8220;You know, angels and demons. The demon side, it&#8217;s not a good side, and that side was telling me this is gonna happen, let it happen. Just let it.
But the good was, &#8216;Save him, save him, save him. You&#8217;re strong.&#8217; &#8221;

The detectives asked why the demon side won out, and she replied:
&#8220;Well, &#8217;cause of the way he was treating me, you know.&#8221;

Link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/07/n...s-kayak-death-denies-she-killed-him.html?_r=1

Intriguing, to say the least...
My thoughts only, RW

FYI: Angelika is due back in court tomorrow.

Anything on court today??

TIA! :seeya:

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/...raswald-pretrial-hearings-start-may/80931142/

http://www.recordonline.com/news/20...tatements-to-police-will-be-admitted-at-trial

In court on Thursday, Judge Robert Freehill issued a ruling on a number of pre-trial issues.
In the decision, Freehill ruled that for all 10 search warrants police executed in the case, "there was probable cause to issue the warrants for search of the designated property at the designated locations" based on police affidavits and other supporting documentation. He noted that he weighed the probable cause for each warrant even though Graswald lacked standing to challenge seven on the 10: one issued on April 29, two April 30 warrants for cell phone records from two phones; three warrants dated May 14 for information from Facebook, Apple iCloud and Yahoo!, and a May 26 warrant.
Freehill ordered a hearing to determine whether Graswald's statements to police will be admitted at trial. That hearing will determine if Graswald made the statements - 11 hours of which state police videotaped - voluntarily, and if police properly advised her of her rights to remain silent and to have a lawyer present.
Freehill also ordered a hearing should prosecutors wish to use past conduct by Graswald to discredit her should she testify at trial.
Free

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sidsloth
Back