GUILTY NY - Vincent Viafore, 46, Newburgh, 19 April 2015 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Are you linking to Twitter? I can't see any of your posts here because Twitter is blocked where I am at.

Yes, I'm able to see both. Her posts appears to be near copies (Facebook and Twitter posts appear to be linked)

ETA: correction :

Facebook does NOT have the 140 character limit, so you're getting a much better view of things IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bedetti says he had to edit the initial incident report he made because he had Vincent's name wrong, thought it was Victor.

Bedetti says that when he questioned Graswald at the hospital, he asked her who she was with and she said "Victor" not "Vincent".

https://www.facebook.com/nschutzmanpojo

Bedetti: When I picked life vest up - I said, "whose phone is ringing?" The minute I picked up the life vest, Graswald, who was laying on the gurney, sat up almost like I had a string attached to her and the gurney.

It was at the hospital that Graswald told Bedetti she had waited about 5 minutes to call 911.

Bedetti went to hospital to question Graswald on his own because "she was the last one seen with someone we're going to have potentially hundreds of people looking for" and he wanted more information.

Break until 2:00 p.m.

Why would she claim the phone went into the water when it did not? Was she simply mistaken or making a deliberate lie? What purpose would the lie serve? If she was lying about the phone, I guess that is indication she is a liar about other facts in the case.

jmo

Bedetti says Graswald was not being treated when he got to hospital.

Portale reads back portions of Bedetti's report, which says Graswald was getting vitals taken when Bedetti arrived.

Officer says: If it's in report, true. There was a woman there asking her questions about her condition. Did she have a doc there, no.

Portale: Did you ask any questions while she was being treated? Bedetti says he asked questions re: kayak color, contact info, etc.

Officer says when he was at hospital he called Viafore's phone but thought he was calling Graswald's phone..

Officer says confusion was not his re. wrong number and Vincent Viafore's name, Graswald gave him wrong info.

Portale: Is it proper Cornwall PD behavior to keep a report open and then just go in and make changes? Officer says yes.

Judge tells Portale: Just because you don't like the way the answer is going doesn't mean you can withdraw the question.

Portale: Did you observe the condition of the Hudson River? You observed the high winds, waves and whitecaps? Bedetti: Yes.

Bedetti says that overall, he was sort of suspicious because Graswald was acting very unemotional.

I'm very appreciative of the coverage on WS today of the happenings in the courtroom. Many thanks.

Portale: What involvement did you have in the case from April 19th until after her arrest?
Bedetti: Not a thing.

Portale ends his cross examination.

Mohl asks Bendetti: Did you ever arrest her? Did she ask for a lawyer? No and No.

Bedetti finished testimony. Judge calls a 5 minute recess.

Next up to the stand is State Police Trooper, Andrew Freeman.

Freeman went to Plum Point that night, then advised to head over to St. Lukes Hospital in Newburgh. Freeman spoke to Graswald in the emergency room that night, he asked if she ok, did she need him to call anyone.

Freeman drove Graswald from the hospital to State Police barracks in Montgomery that night to take a deposition.

Freeman: On the drive, I asked her what happened and she explained, "he (Viafore) was in front of me" ... she said he was a distance in front, she saw him overturn and he yelled to call 911. She said she took out her phone, put it on speaker to call but her kayak overturned - she said she tried to reach him but she couldn't.

Freeman says Graswald was calm, just a normal conversation.

Freeman says Graswald told him she lost phone in the water.

Freeman says Graswald also told him the trip was her & Viafore's first time kayaking to Bannerman together.

Freeman says he did not testify before grand jury.

Freeman says he saw Bedetti as he was walking in, he asked the officer where to find Graswald; she was alone when Freeman got there.

Portale questions if Freeman asked about Graswald's phone at hospital. Freeman says he asked if she wanted him to make calls for her.

Graswald apparently told Freeman that she didn't have her phone, so he asked where it was.

Prior to getting to hospital, Freeman didn't know if she had phone.

Freeman is done.

The People call State Police Senior Investigator, Aniello Moscato.

Moscato was called in to work on April 19, 2015. he got to the scene and spoke to several other officials.

Moscato was told Graswald and Viafore had been kayaking ... Graswad had managed to make it to shore. Unfortunately, Viafore was missing.

Moscato: On the 19th I did not speak to Graswald. However for the following nine days I had many conversations with her - we met with her on the shores in attempt to locate Vincent Viafore.

Moscato said Graswald was very cooperative and he felt sympathetic for her.

State Police coordinated trip to Bannerman Island on April 29, they wanted to give it more thorough search.

Graswald contacted Moscato before they left for Bannerman, she told him she was going out there to lay a wreath for Viafore and clean up.

When state police searched Bannerman, Graswald was not yet there. They spoke to her on the phone and she arrived later that day.

Moscato says he told Graswald: Let's concentrate on like the last six hours (of Viafore's life).

and to finish today's hearing...

Nina Schutzman
Reporter
https://www.facebook.com/nschutzmanpojo?fref=ts

·
When police spoke with her that day at Bannerman, Graswald seemed uneasy and I had to tell her to focus a couple of times, Moscato said. He was asking Graswald where they parked kayaks on Bannerman, he questioned her & she said he was silly, didn't know kayaking. As they're talking, Graswald starts opening up about relationship with Viafore.

Moscato says they offered to let Graswald speak with one investigator alone, she wanted to talk to "Donnie" or investigator Don DeQuarto.

DeQuarto apparently recounted a confession from Graswald to Moscato -- that she "pulled a plug" ... I was in shock, Moscato said.

Moscato said they told Graswald she had to come with them, but they were still amicable.

Police boat had engine trouble on way back from Bannerman and they were all joking around about it, Moscato said. She wasn't visibly upset.

"It's almost like she was happy-go-lucky, I was a little taken back" since she had just said that to DeQuarto, Moscato says.

__

We're breaking for the day, starting tomorrow at 1:30 p.m.

__

Nina's update in the news: http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/...d-calm-after-fiances-kayak-capsized/85499270/

news reports on Monday's hearing:

http://www.newser.com/story/226275/cops-ny-woman-admitted-sabotaging-lovers-kayak.html
Cops: NY Woman Admitted Sabotaging Lover's Kayak

http://www.usnews.com/news/us/artic...r-woman-said-she-pulled-plug-on-fiances-kayak
Investigator: Woman said she pulled plug on fiancé's kayak

http://www.people.com/article/accused-kayaker-was-calm-after-fiances-boat-capsized-hudson-river
Kayaker Accused of Murdering Fiancé on Hudson River was 'Calm' after His Kayak Capsized: Reports

To sum it up so far:

The drowning death was ruled a homicide by a medical examiner who wrote in an autopsy report that Viafore's death was the result of a "kayak drain plug intentionally removed by other."
Defense attorney Richard Portale said the medical examiner's ruling was ill-informed and lacked medical evidence.

Greetings.
I've wondered for awhile now IF Angelika could have un-screwed and removed the Drain-Age Plug from Vincent Viafore's 'Fusion 124' kayak, nope, not at home, but while out at Bannerman Island or heck, even when on the water, paddling back, under the pretense of grabbing a couple of Modelo beers for the paddle home.

If Angelika did un-screw + remove Vinny's Drain-Age Plug out there, where would she have put it?
Bury it on Bannerman Island? Toss it out into the water?
Keep it, to try to put it back where it belonged?
Hide it in her black purse? Maybe.
What about in a pocket of her PFD, in her life jacket? Possible?
Hmmmm.

I read this yesterday,
from Nina Schutzman of The Poughkeepsie Journal, glad you folks gave me the link!
From when Cornwall Police Officer Stephen Bedetti was on the stand:
Portale asks if Bedetti looked inside Graswald's bag at hospital.
He says no but he handed it to her.
+
Bedetti: The minute I picked up the life vest, Graswald, who was laying on gurney, sat up almost like I had a string attached to her...

I kayak, + usually wear a MTI Reflex II PFD.
There is nothing inside my PFD that would bother me if a police officer grabbed my PFD.
Is there anything in your PFD that would worry you if a police officer had your life jacket in his or her possession?

What made Angelika suddenly sit up when the officer picked up her PFD?
Did Angelika have something inside of that she was worried the police officer might see?
Drugs maybe? Vincent Viafore's missing Drain-Age Plug screw???
Hmmmm.

More from Nina Schutzman:
Portale: Did you collect her life vest and bag?
Bedetti: No
Bummer.
My opinions only.
RW
:)

Nina Schutzman, a reporter for the Poughkeepsie Journal is back in the court room today for Day 2 of Angelika's Huntley hearing.

"Set to start at 1:30 but that probably means 2 or so.."

What is a Huntley hearing?
The Huntley hearing is a hearing about statements that prosecutors claim an accused made. At the Huntley hearing, the accused challenges the way the police obtained the statements. The accused can argue that the statements were obtained as a result of actual physical violence, or, the accused can argue that the statements were obtained from him or her without having been warned of his or her rights (commonly known as Miranda rights). Also, the accused can argue that the statement was obtained as a result of an illegal arrest. If the prosecutors do not claim the accused made any statements, then there is no reason to have a Huntley hearing.
http://www.rlgfirm.com/criminal-defense.html

State Police investigator, Aniello Moscato, is back on the stand, cross-examination begins.

Moscato testifies he reviewed 40-50 "lead sheets" on Graswald's case.

(As lawyers speak with judge at bench, Graswald sits at defense table with hands folded under her chin; judge allowed cuffs to be taken off again.)

We started treating this like a major crime investigation after the arrest, not before, Moscato says.

Portale questions Moscato about lead sheets - did he assign trooper Andrew Freeman (who testified yesterday) to case? No, Moscato says.

A lead sheet has a date of 4/19, but it was filled out after arrest, mOscato says - 4/19 was date of incident.

Portale: Are you sure about that? Moscato: Yes

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasApril87
Back