NZ - Two Children's Remains Found in Suitcases Bought at Auction - Auckland *Mother Arrested*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
South Korean nationality law - Wikipedia

Seems South Korea is very strict about dual-citizenship. Not sure I really understand this Wikipedia article. Can South Koreans have dual-citizenship?

I think you're right. It seems that dual citizenship is very limited in South Korea. And it doesn't seem that this mother would qualify, from what we have been told.

so they buy stuff without opening and inspecting ! eww
also why are those relatives has a say about keeping the identity undisclosed ? where have they been when those poor things were buried in this state
Ooops Sandy! I think I misinterpreted your post! Sorry!

A bit more on the suppression order.

Police supported a family’s application to suppress the identities of two children found dead in suitcases in south Auckland because international enquiries were at a “critical stage” and “any release may jeopardise” the ongoing investigation.

Documents released to Stuff on Monday show New Zealand-based relatives of the children sought the order because of “speculation of involvement of the wider family in the deaths”.

Publication would “make too much media gossip” and affect the family’s privacy, a relative said in their application.
The case had “too much media focus and it will make family life difficult”, they said.

Coroner Tania Tetitaha, who is based in Whangarei, sought the police’s view on such an order.

Interesting article about research into bodies found in suitcases.
There is even a suitcase and wheelie bin body farm in Western Australia.

Interesting article about research into bodies found in suitcases.
There is even a suitcase and wheelie bin body farm in Western Australia.

Very interesting, have to keep this article in mind for other murders involving a suitcase.
From link..
''There’s a simple reason why suitcases are so common in these situations. While most crime movies depict bodies abandoned above ground or buried in clandestine shallow graves, in reality murder victims are more often concealed in items arranged at the last minute.

These are things that are easy to obtain, accessible, large enough to fit a body, and easy to transport (preferably with wheels). They may also hide the smell of decomposition for a time – useful for the criminal to find an alibi or disappear.

Forensic researchers call such places “limited access environments”, because they limit, delay or totally impede one of the natural steps that happen after death: the arrival of hordes of insects.''

I am guessing the mother is dead as well. She may not have left NZ at all. If the father died and had some resources, family disapproved of the wife etc. She might have been a victim as well. I think she also was a victim.

I don't see it because this would have been a terrible plan in that case. Feels like a "desperate" measure to me. Successfully hide their mom but just leave the children to be found? Then again, more than one possibility does exist. IMO.

It seems more likely to me that the woman that is thought to be their mother is in fact their mother. But anything could happen.
Yes I think that now.
The police have stated the father’s parents live in NZ, I think it’s possible they(or someone else) had reported the children as missing, the police seemed to know very early on who they were, unless they had left identifying information in the lock up,One would think either mother or grandparents would be looking for the children.

Yes I think that now.
The police have stated the father’s parents live in NZ, I think it’s possible they(or someone else) had reported the children as missing, the police seemed to know very early on who they were, unless they had left identifying information in the lock up,One would think either mother or grandparents would be looking for the children.
I would think they would have reported them missing, however, wouldn't they have been known to be missing by police already? Especially if they didn't fly out of the country with the mom?

And any family in South Korea could have been led to believe that the children were in NZ with their grandparents.
But wouldn't they want to see the photos of the kids?

You know - school pics, Christmas/Holidays ones, etc?

What about cards, letters?

What a strange and tragic case :(

Last edited:
42 year old woman arrested in South Korea.

Good job by the authorities. That was amazingly fast ... considering how these international things can drag out.

"“The investigation team would like to acknowledge the ongoing assistance and support of the South Korean Ministry of Justice, South Korean Prosecution Service and the Korean National Police Agency,” detective inspector Tofilau Fa’amanuia Vaaelua said.

“To have someone in custody overseas within such a short period of time has all been down to the assistance of the Korean authorities and the coordination by our NZ Police Interpol staff.”

Wow that was so fast. Just goes to show all the activity that must have been going on behind the scenes between New Zealand and South Korea. Well done to them.

I was worried that it might end up like the Toyah Cordingly case where the "person of interest" fled the country and the case seems to have come to a grinding halt, at least in the other country.

Link to Toyah's case

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firefly64