Off Topic/Chit Chat

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just wondering...

If you were continually misspelling something or using incorrect punctuation, etc. etc.... would you want someone to let you know?

Or would you not care?

There's definitely two camps on this issue. Some people don't care about this and don't see where it makes a hoot of difference as long as you understand what they are saying.

Others feel spelling and punctuation are important (at least, they were taught that it was in school) and that it speaks to one's intelligence.

What do you believe?

I was taught, and believe strongly, that the way we communicate is very important. Spelling, punctuation, grammar are all standardized to help us communicate clearly - it's not so much a sign of intelligence as it is respect for the person with whom you are communicating. If you don't think enough of me to speak or write clearly, then why would you expect me to pay attention to what you are saying or writing?

I was taught, and believe strongly, that the way we communicate is very important. Spelling, punctuation, grammar are all standardized to help us communicate clearly - it's not so much a sign of intelligence as it is respect for the person with whom you are communicating. If you don't think enough of me to speak or write clearly, then why would you expect me to pay attention to what you are saying or writing?

Welllll.... I don't know about that... I doubt anyone who is misspelling has any thoughts about their audience in regards to respect one way or the other... and I'm still reading what people are saying...

In fact I don't think people even know they're misspelling or making grammatical errors, in most cases.

But I definitely find myself wanting to point out errors, especially when they occur over and over again... why do I care? I don't know. Maybe it's just that it was so strongly instilled in me, I can't help but pass it along...

Welllll.... I don't know about that... I doubt anyone who is misspelling has any thoughts about their audience in regards to respect one way or the other... and I'm still reading what people are saying...

In fact I don't think people even know they're misspelling or making grammatical errors, in most cases.

But I definitely find myself wanting to point out errors, especially when they occur over and over again... why do I care? I don't know. Maybe it's just that it was so strongly instilled in me, I can't help but pass it along...

I don't really care about spelling mistakes etc., unless we're reprimanded by someone who makes those mistakes!:crazy: The one thing that does bug me is typos where you have to read a line 3x to make sense of it.

I don't really care about spelling mistakes etc., unless we're reprimanded by someone who makes those mistakes!:crazy: The one thing that does bug me is typos where you have to read a line 3x to make sense of it.

Definitely makes it hard to read, yep!

You always write so clearly Star. Your posts are always a pleasure to read. However, I am fine with reading posts with typos. I know that I make many mistakes myself. I think that it is difficult to maintain the same standard of writing in chat rooms that we may expect in other areas (e.g., letters, articles etc.). However, I do thank you for setting such a good example.

I agree with this. If typos are not considered acceptable, then some people may feel that they can't post. We want to encourage participation, IMO.

I agree with this. If typos are not considered acceptable, then some people may feel that they can't post. We want to encourage participation, IMO.

There's no way I even meant to insinuate that typos are unacceptable. My goodness, if that were the case, we would lose one of our most valuable posters!!! No, I was simply asking... if you were someone who posted time and time again with errors... would you want to know? Would you want to correct yourself?

There's no way I even meant to insinuate that typos are unacceptable. My goodness, if that were the case, we would lose one of our most valuable posters!!! No, I was simply asking... if you were someone who posted time and time again with errors... would you want to know? Would you want to correct yourself?

I guess if you are having a hard time understanding the poster, then it would be helpful to let them know.

Just a thought:)

I guess if you are having a hard time understanding the poster, then it would be helpful to let them know.

I would just want to know, if it were me, so that I'm correct. So I thought I'd ask if others would WANT to know, or if they would just rather not, and think it picky.

:)

There are thousands of places on and off the Internet to get grammar and spelling lessons...I don't think people necessarily want to have their posts corrected. If a post is incomprehensible then I just scroll by and go on to the next one.

There are thousands of places on and off the Internet to get grammar and spelling lessons...I don't think people necessarily want to have their posts corrected. If a post is incomprehensible then I just scroll by and go on to the next one.

No plan to correct posts, good Lord.

I just would rather know about any errors I make and wanted to know if others felt the same.

I see that you do not, which is great! However, let's let others speak for themselves, ok?

No plan to correct posts, good Lord.

I just would rather know about any errors I make and wanted to know if others felt the same.

I see that you do not, which is great! However, let's let others speak for themselves, ok?

Did you not state that you occasionally see posts that have typos, grammatical errors, etc. and you are wondering if you should say something or not to the poster or they should say something to you? Then you said you would want to know if it was you making those mistakes and wanted to know if others felt the same (meaning I assume would they want to know if they made such mistakes and have someone point them out). Am I hallucinating? I'm just answering your question that you asked this morning. I'm sorry that your original questions weren't clear enough for me to give the exact answer you wanted. And I really wish you'd stop with the type of comments you have been making towards me, as highlighted above. They do nothing but antagonize and these type of comments have been appearing much too often, IMHO. I don't understand your need to to go on the attack when all I did was answer a question.

Here is what you said:

I was just wondering...

If you were continually misspelling something or using incorrect punctuation, etc. etc.... would you want someone to let you know? Or would you not care?

There's definitely two camps on this issue. Some people don't care about this and don't see where it makes a hoot of difference as long as you understand what they are saying.

Others feel spelling and punctuation are important (at least, they were taught that it was in school) and that it speaks to one's intelligence. What do you believe?

Did you not state that you occasionally see posts that have typos, grammatical errors, etc. and you are wondering if you should say something or not to the poster or they should say something to you? Then you said you would want to know if it was you making those mistakes and wanted to know if others felt the same (meaning I assume would they want to know if they made such mistakes and have someone point them out). Am I hallucinating? I'm just answering your question that you asked this morning. I'm sorry that your original questions weren't clear enough for me to give the exact answer you wanted. And I really wish you'd stop with the type of comments you have been making towards me, as highlighted above. They do nothing but antagonize and these type of comments have been appearing much too often, IMHO.

No, there's a difference. I didn't ask if I should let someone know about misspellings.

I asked if a person was misspelling, would they want to know?

No, there's a difference. I didn't ask if I should let someone know about misspellings.

I asked if a person was misspelling, would they want to know?

The only way to know for sure is to ask the person whose misspelling you noticed--all a person can do is guess at what someone else may want.

Did you not state that you occasionally see posts that have typos, grammatical errors, etc. and you are wondering if you should say something or not to the poster or they should say something to you? Then you said you would want to know if it was you making those mistakes and wanted to know if others felt the same (meaning I assume would they want to know if they made such mistakes and have someone point them out). Am I hallucinating? I'm just answering your question that you asked this morning. I'm sorry that your original questions weren't clear enough for me to give the exact answer you wanted. And I really wish you'd stop with the type of comments you have been making towards me, as highlighted above. They do nothing but antagonize and these type of comments have been appearing much too often, IMHO. I don't understand your need to to go on the attack when all I did was answer a question.

SG, I could post a response that wouldn't be productive, that you could piece apart and dissect and answer to, but let's just let this go. You post as you see appropriate, and I will do same.

The only way to know for sure is to ask the person whose misspelling you noticed--all a person can do is guess at what someone else may want.

I'm not asking for someone to speak about someone else. This is the way I AM asking the person whose errors I noticed, and if that person happens to read my post and would wish to know, they might post and say they are a person who always misspells and would sure appreciate if someone would point it out to them so they could fix it.

If not, great!

Then again, upon further thought, it may not be helpful. I think that we have to expect spelling mistakes and typos on web posts. I notice that academics do it on their blogs. They are probably in a hurry. There seems to be a different writing standard for web-based material and email.

But I don't know . . .

Then again, upon further thought, it may not be helpful. I think that we have to expect spelling mistakes and typos on web posts. I notice that academics do it on their blogs. They are probably in a hurry. There seems to be a different writing standard for web-based material and email.

But I don't know . . .

Don't worry, I wouldn't just tell someone. Some people don't care to know. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en