OH - Annabelle Richardson, newborn, found in shallow grave, Carlisle, 7 May 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When this case first happened I wanted her to fry. I've calmed down a bit more now and I'm starting to understand how this may have spiraled.

Also, the other case that was linked earlier in the thread? Baby boy that was birthed in the McDonald's bathroom and attempted to be flushed? Witnesses and everything? The bail was compared to this as hers was $11 million and this case was $50,000.

McDonald's lady got PROBATION for trying to drown her newborn son in a toilet. Probation. Baby Adrian miraculously appears unscathed.

CA- McDonald's employee gives birth and tries to flush infant down toilet, DA says

It's sad isn't it. I wonder if Skylar Richardson wishes she'd owned up to being pregnant. She wouldn't be in this mess. So many other options she could have chosen and she could have gone on with her life.

I'm sure she wishes that she had. Her desire to have an actual funeral for Annabelle seems to indicate that. I'm not sure which option she wishes she had chosen, but I'm sure she wishes she had given Annabelle to someone else to raise or just admitted she was pregnant and maybe kept her with her family helping.

I just hope the jury finds this *** guilty for killing her child.

And I am glad she is on house arrest because her last bit of freedom is fixing to be over in a few months.

Jmo

The judge released her from house arrest in April 2018...

Oh. It’s Oda. I’ve worked with him before. He’s a little lax imo.

Yeah, we share your opinion.

I wonder if the father will testify?

I am sure he will have to testify to help establish the timeline. I just wonder what his feelings would have been about Annabelle...

I wonder if the father knew about the pregnancy at any point? Would the father have wanted Annabelle? Will he just be a witness to establish the timeline or will he also be another person who would have supported her and would have cherished Annabelle?

Richardson is charged with aggravated murder, involuntary manslaughter, endangering children, tampering with evidence and abuse of a corpse.

The defense team is requesting that the court order one trial for the aggravated murder charge, one trial for involuntary manslaughter and endangering children charges and a third trial for tampering with evidence and abuse of corpse.

The defense argued the prosecution has admitted it does not intend to keep it presentation of each offense “simple and direct.”

Defense team in Carlisle buried baby case wants three trials

That's new. Haven't ever seen that done with just one defendant before.
Though, I can see why they want to do it.

I think if it goes trial with all 5 charges the verdict will be:

Aggravated murder - Not guilty
Involuntary manslaughter - not guilty
Endangering children - guilty
Tampering with evidence - guilty
Abuse of a corpse - hung

I'm not seeing how separating the charges into different trial would help? But maybe I'm just not understanding it.

I don't think there is any chance she's convicted of murder. I don't even think manslaughter. I just don't think they will be able to prove that she and she alone is responsible.

I'm starting to question the whole case because of the prosecutor. I think it would be wise to swap him out for a more professional one. Just in the interests of not having this be an appeal on a silver platter if they get a conviction on anything.

I've known prosecutors like this. They aren't fun to go up against. The prosecutors that have justice in mind, are ethical and only want to convict the guilty are fine. The ones who just want convictions? Those are a whole other story.

When this case first happened I wanted her to fry. I've calmed down a bit more now and I'm starting to understand how this may have spiraled.

Also, the other case that was linked earlier in the thread? Baby boy that was birthed in the McDonald's bathroom and attempted to be flushed? Witnesses and everything? The bail was compared to this as hers was $11 million and this case was $50,000.

McDonald's lady got PROBATION for trying to drown her newborn son in a toilet. Probation. Baby Adrian miraculously appears unscathed.

CA- McDonald's employee gives birth and tries to flush infant down toilet, DA says

I'm sure she wishes that she had. Her desire to have an actual funeral for Annabelle seems to indicate that. I'm not sure which option she wishes she had chosen, but I'm sure she wishes she had given Annabelle to someone else to raise or just admitted she was pregnant and maybe kept her with her family helping.

The judge released her from house arrest in April 2018...

Yeah, we share your opinion.

I am sure he will have to testify to help establish the timeline. I just wonder what his feelings would have been about Annabelle...

I wonder if the father knew about the pregnancy at any point? Would the father have wanted Annabelle? Will he just be a witness to establish the timeline or will he also be another person who would have supported her and would have cherished Annabelle?

That's new. Haven't ever seen that done with just one defendant before.
Though, I can see why they want to do it.

I think if it goes trial with all 5 charges the verdict will be:

Aggravated murder - Not guilty
Involuntary manslaughter - not guilty
Endangering children - guilty
Tampering with evidence - guilty
Abuse of a corpse - hung

I'm not seeing how separating the charges into different trial would help? But maybe I'm just not understanding it.

I don't think there is any chance she's convicted of murder. I don't even think manslaughter. I just don't think they will be able to prove that she and she alone is responsible.

I'm starting to question the whole case because of the prosecutor. I think it would be wise to swap him out for a more professional one. Just in the interests of not having this be an appeal on a silver platter if they get a conviction on anything.

I've known prosecutors like this. They aren't fun to go up against. The prosecutors that have justice in mind, are ethical and only want to convict the guilty are fine. The ones who just want convictions? Those are a whole other story.

She KILLED her child!!!! She needs to be held accountable for what She did.

There are NO, absolutely none excuses for what she did.

It's very obvious she did not want to be a mother.

She knew what she was doing.

Jmo

She KILLED her child!!!! She needs to be held accountable for what She did.

There are NO, absolutely none excuses for what she did.

It's very obvious she did not want to be a mother.

She knew what she was doing.

Jmo

Allegedly.
They also said she BURNED her child and that has now been shown not to be true. I'm not going to take their word for it that she killed her child without seeing some proof.

There are several ways a baby can die during/at birth especially with someone inexperienced attending. Meconium aspiration, cord prolapse, cord knot, cord around the neck, getting stuck, just to name a few.

It is entirely plausible to me that she may have given birth and been afraid to look at her child. I have heard stories from people who have said that this is how they felt, they were afraid to look because of their lack of prenatal care/bad eating habit/whatever. In that time where she was avoiding looking at what she had done... the precious minutes where Annabelle could have been saved ticked away.

If there was meconium, this girl may not have even known the color was abnormal. Cord prolapse or a cord knot she may not have even noticed. If the cord was around her neck, she may have just assumed she died before birth. When a teenage girl gives birth alone that's a bit overwhelming I'm sure. It was overwhelming when I gave birth at 18 and I wasn't alone.

If Annabelle was born healthy and alive only to be brutally killed at the hands of her own mother or buried alive, then fine. Fry her. I'm just no longer convinced that is what happened or what they can prove. The statements that she made to her parents in the interrogation room will likely shed some light on this.

I don't like what she did. I think she should have told her doctor she needed to give up her baby and asked how to do that. I think she should have taken Annabelle to a hospital. That way if she was stillborn it could be proven and if she was not she could be adopted. I'm just not convinced that she killed her, yet. I'm seeing more indications of an overly zealous prosecutor than a guilty defendant and I don't like that.

Allegedly.
They also said she BURNED her child and that has now been shown not to be true. I'm not going to take their word for it that she killed her child without seeing some proof.

There are several ways a baby can die during/at birth especially with someone inexperienced attending. Meconium aspiration, cord prolapse, cord knot, cord around the neck, getting stuck, just to name a few.

It is entirely plausible to me that she may have given birth and been afraid to look at her child. I have heard stories from people who have said that this is how they felt, they were afraid to look because of their lack of prenatal care/bad eating habit/whatever. In that time where she was avoiding looking at what she had done... the precious minutes where Annabelle could have been saved ticked away.

If there was meconium, this girl may not have even known the color was abnormal. Cord prolapse or a cord knot she may not have even noticed. If the cord was around her neck, she may have just assumed she died before birth. When a teenage girl gives birth alone that's a bit overwhelming I'm sure. It was overwhelming when I gave birth at 18 and I wasn't alone.

If Annabelle was born healthy and alive only to be brutally killed at the hands of her own mother or buried alive, then fine. Fry her. I'm just no longer convinced that is what happened or what they can prove. The statements that she made to her parents in the interrogation room will likely shed some light on this.

I don't like what she did. I think she should have told her doctor she needed to give up her baby and asked how to do that. I think she should have taken Annabelle to a hospital. That way if she was stillborn it could be proven and if she was not she could be adopted. I'm just not convinced that she killed her, yet. I'm seeing more indications of an overly zealous prosecutor than a guilty defendant and I don't like that.

She could have called 911 if she needed to, she did not.

Her child was born alive and not stillborn.

She had plenty of options.

This is murder plain and simple.

Jmo

She could have called 911 if she needed to, she did not.

Her child was born alive and not stillborn.

She had plenty of options.

This is murder plain and simple.

Jmo

They said her child was burned. She was not.
I will wait until I see the proof the child was born alive and intentionally killed.

None of my 3 children would have survived an unattended home birth with someone with no medical training. Just little things in a medical setting become enormous things when you are alone.

Cheerleader accused of killing her newborn daughter says she has an eating disorder | Daily Mail Online

BSR has eating disorder and is down to 82 lbs per her lawyer

'Skylar’s case is different because of social media and the intense media coverage. That adds an extra layer to the anxiety of properly defending your client when you have that kind of media scrutiny.'

Her Lawyers want separate trials for aggravated murder, tampering with evidence and endangering child. It appears that if this happened the murder charge would then be dropped to manslaughter. Her lawyers said “she is at risk of the jury using the evidence 'cumulatively' when several crimes are tried together, with her trial due to start on September 3.”

County Prosecutor David Fornshell has said: 'Skylar and her family, particularly her mother, were pretty obsessed with external appearances and how things appeared to the outside world.

Her lawyers said prosecutors give false narrative. That she did not kill her baby.

OB dr testified saying she never went back for prenatal care, ignored calls and contact from her dr.

Richardson’s attorneys issued a motion Wednesday asking a judge to order a separate trial to avoid making it harder for her to get a fair trial.

The trial is scheduled to begin on Sept. 3.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/06/forme...-killing-newborn-wants-three-separate-trials/

What are the chances she can get separate trials?

That would set a precedence for all court cases....separate trials for every charge. It takes long enough to get a trial started. Imagine the back load the courts would have!

Prosecution responds to request for 3 trials in Carlisle buried baby case

WARREN COUNTY —
Warren County Prosecutor David Forshell said his office would oppose a recent motion filed by defense attorneys requesting three trials for a Carlisle woman accused of killing her newborn baby girl in 2017 and burying her in her parents’ backyard.

That opposition motion was filed today (7/18/19) with the Warren County Clerk of Courts Office.
[.....]
The defense argues that trying all the charges together would be prejudicial to Richardson.
[.....]
But in the motion written by Assistant Prosecutor Steven Knippen, the state says, “In this case, Richardson’s offenses constitute parts of a common scheme or plan and are part of a course of criminal conduct. She delivered her baby in secret in her home, caused the baby’s death, then buried the baby in the backyard.”

They said her child was burned. She was not.
I will wait until I see the proof the child was born alive and intentionally killed.

None of my 3 children would have survived an unattended home birth with someone with no medical training. Just little things in a medical setting become enormous things when you are alone.

I agree with this. Neither of my children would have survived an unassisted birth. Still-birth may only account for 1% of births but this is still 24,000 births per year in the US.

I've just been reading social media comments about this case and almost every one of them is screaming that she burned her baby; oblivious to or unwilling to accept the fact that the prosecutor has retracted this statement.

I'd like to see what evidence the prosecution have of a live-birth, let alone a murder, before I make any decision on this case. The prosecutor has behaved un-professionally and in my opinion, has jeopardised the possibility of a fair trial.

Also, she does not by any stretch of the imagination look "heavily pregnant" in her prom photo. She looks like she could have just eaten a big lunch.

Last edited:
Bottom line, for me: I believe the girl. I do not believe she murdered her baby. Brooke stated that she didn't know she was even pregnant until toward the end of her pregnancy. She stated she was having her periods throughout her pregnancy, which will happen at times for some women (did for me as well), AND given that her body had already been ravaged by the anorexia, it's no wonder her periods were so out-of-sync.

I wonder if the "periods" she was experiencing could have been pregnancy related bleeding, indicating a problem with the baby? I experienced a condition called vasa previa in both of my pregnancies which, undetected, carries a still birth rate of 56%, many babies born alive can also die shortly after birth due to lack of oxygen and blood loss. The condition can cause heavy bleeding and spotting. This is conjecture of course...

The judge denied 3 seperate trials.

Judge denies request for 3 separate trials in Skylar Richardson case
Another pre-trial hearing is set for Aug. 19

July 26, 2019

"CARLISLE, Ohio (FOX19) - A judge has denied Brooke “Skylar” Richardson’s request for three separate trials....

An entry signed by Judge Donald E. Oda II, filed Friday, denies the request.

It reads, in part: “In this case, there is one continuous sequence of events that gives rise to the counts charged in the indictment. There are not multiple victims. There are not multiple criminal acts committed over and extended period of time. Counts one, two, and three each delineate separate legal theories of the same conduct. There is very little, if any, evidence that would not be presented at all three trials were the court to grant this motion.”

“Further, the court will instruct the jury that the charges are separate and distinct from each other,” it goes on to say....

Another pre-trial hearing is set for Aug. 19. Her trial is scheduled to begin on Sept. 3."

Judge denies request for 3 separate trials in Skylar Richardson case

Attorneys for a Carlisle woman accused of killing her newborn baby girl in 2017 and burying her in her parents’ backyard want the charges against her dismissed.

A motion filed today by attorneys Charles H. and Charles M. Rittgers argues the indictment against Brooke Skylar Richardson should be dismissed due to “defects in the institution of prosecution of this case … the state’s deprivation of Miss Richardson’s constitutional rights to a fair trial and due process.”

Defense asks for dismissal of Carlisle buried baby case because of recanted testimony

Attorneys for a Carlisle woman accused of killing her newborn baby girl in 2017 and burying her in her parents’ backyard want the charges against her dismissed.

A motion filed today by attorneys Charles H. and Charles M. Rittgers argues the indictment against Brooke Skylar Richardson should be dismissed due to “defects in the institution of prosecution of this case … the state’s deprivation of Miss Richardson’s constitutional rights to a fair trial and due process.”

Defense asks for dismissal of Carlisle buried baby case because of recanted testimony

Oh FFS! Get on with the trial already.

They have had OVER 2 years. NO MORE delays.

I agree with this. Neither of my children would have survived an unassisted birth. Still-birth may only account for 1% of births but this is still 24,000 births per year in the US.

I've just been reading social media comments about this case and almost every one of them is screaming that she burned her baby; oblivious to or unwilling to accept the fact that the prosecutor has retracted this statement.

I'd like to see what evidence the prosecution have of a live-birth, let alone a murder, before I make any decision on this case. The prosecutor has behaved un-professionally and in my opinion, has jeopardised the possibility of a fair trial.

Also, she does not by any stretch of the imagination look "heavily pregnant" in her prom photo. She looks like she could have just eaten a big lunch.

You can tell in the photo that she is pregnant and I'm sure the prosecution will point that out to the jury.

You can tell in the photo that she is pregnant and I'm sure the prosecution will point that out to the jury.

I disagree, i have been through 2 full term pregnancies. She does not look full term pregnant. Even if she does, i don't see how this is evidence of guilt? If she was going to murder her baby, surely she would have gone to great lengths to hide her pregnancy rather than flaunting it? She had seen an OBGYN, she knew that at least one person knew she was pregnant and would want to know what had happened to the baby.

Let's say that she does look pregnant in the prom photo, why would this need pointing out to a jury. If it's so obvious they will be able to see it for themselves. I can't. For what reason would the prosecution make a point of it? What does it prove? Other than she wasn't ashamed or trying to hide her condition. For someone who was apparently so concerned about appearances that she was prepared to kill her new born baby in cold blood, it doesn't make any sense that she would flaunt a pregnancy of which she is so ashamed.

I've no idea what evidence the prosecution or defence have but I don't see any evidence currently in the public domain that shows that she killed her baby. I won't join a witch hunt. For the time being at least, i give her the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not saying she is innocent, i don't know, i wasn't there. But, i have asked here and on many other forums what evidence people have seen that even proves a live birth, let alone a murder and no-one has an answer other than the statement by the prosecutor that has since been retracted. I'm really struggling to understand the mentality surrounding this case...It's tragic that a baby has died, whatever the circumstances. I have two kids and any crime involving children or babies breaks my heart but she deserves a fair hearing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member