GUILTY OH - Betheny Mehall, 25, & Cord Cox, 23, shot to death, Harpersfield, 19 Feb 2011

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I noticed the PC did not say "live" in the corner...
I really got the impression that she was just behind and did not have the story. And his dad would not be likely to bring it up since the cops mentioned a drug deal? The PC was at 4pm EST. I thought her show was either "live" or just taped right before, as I have heard from people on here who call in.

But the father said he had no idea who could have done anything like this. So it would be weird if he knew about the arrest and still said that.

I wonder if some of the show is pre-recorded and taped, and then they add it to the stuff that is live. It has to be somewhat because of the way that they add all those cjlips in over and over.

my prayers for the victims and their families.
it's horrible, someone was in the back seat of their car and shot them both execution style in the heads.

who would be able to get them to drive there?
how remote was the area? would the killer be able to walk somewhere to transportation, or would he have had a ride pick him up?

http://www.wkyc.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=176955&catid=45

not much new, they were wearing their seatbelts still and the car & heat were still running.
obviously whoever killed them; they trusted enough to let into their car. unless they were carjacked from elsewhere.

whoever killed them shot them each with one bullet to the back of the head. that's impersonal and execution style.

the sheriff mentions that they were inspirational to the young people in the town... how were they inspirational to young people there? would someone be jealous of them?

they weren't robbed.
i hate to bring up such things, however was either of them involved in either drugs or debts?

as for the coolio rap lyrics that cord left on his facebook in jan. i wouldn't read much into them; unless he was living a gangbangin lifestyle.

in clarke and straub's case they were suffocated with plastic bags. in that case, i believe whoever did it knew that straubs parents would be out of town and had been watching them. the ransacking of the home would be only a mere attempt to suggest robbery as a motive, when murder was the motive.

the things these cases have in common are they are both young couples, would a serial killer change his m.o. as to not get caught?

in straub and clarke's case, clarke was on the phone with a friend and dropped it. le has interviewed the friend about the call and this guy is still not caught, my guess is that they didn't know their killer(s).

possibly in either of these cases, the killer has inserted himself into his victims' lives prior to their deaths in order to build a facade of "trust" if you can call it that.

the area where mehall and cox was found is very rural, i just googled it. bishop road, harpersfield township, ohio. it's also very close to interstate 90.
bishop road also seems to be township hwy 132

i would think the killer would have had to have either

a. his car or getaway vehicle (atv, dirtbike not excluded)
b. someone ready to pick him up
c. made his way out on foot to the interstate (then of which he caught a ride or hitchhiked)

my guess is he had his own vehicle near or had someone ready to pick him up.
waiting for a ride and risking people seeing him near the interstate would be dumb. especially if no one picked him up.

was anyone jealous of cox and mehall and maybe had an obsession with mehall?

does anyone know anything about the area of town they were found in?
IT WAS A VERY SECLUDED ROAD AND A SMALL TOWN... NOTHING AROUND FOR MILES EXCEPT FIELDS, GRASS AND LAND.....

I WONDER WHAT TYPE OF DRUGS? I COULD NOT FIND WHERE IT HAS BEEN DISCUSSED...METH IS A HUGE PROBLEM HERE IN RURAL OHIO....

But the father said he had no idea who could have done anything like this. So it would be weird if he knew about the arrest and still said that.

I wonder if some of the show is pre-recorded and taped, and then they add it to the stuff that is live. It has to be somewhat because of the way that they add all those cjlips in over and over.

I don't know but they had callers calling in while he on the phone too. I really don't think they tape it more than 4 hours ahead of time. How would people know when to call in? Nancy asked if they had enemies and he said no...but this was a friend. So maybe he was just answering what was asked? It was weird, in any case. I hope he knew and did not learn from TV.

This guy was a friend on Betheny's FB :(

That is one enormous coincidence that they were 4 hours away from Lisa and Johnny....

Maybe young couples get murdered together more often than we hear about...

[ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Harpersfield+Township,+ohio&daddr=Springfield+township,+OH&geocode=FQACfQIdFqcs-ymFIcFUuY8xiDFFbxvV_J_gEw%3BFVvGYAIdO0MB-ykh_sVBgFk_iDG27bowgjsOuQ&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=39.924227,-83.808817&sspn=0.117691,0.220757&ie=UTF8&z=7"]Harpersfield Township to Springfield Township - Google Maps[/ame]

I don't think the suspect in this case is related to Johnny and Lisa...he was apparently a friend of Betheny and Cord's...

I googled the words ' nancy grace prerecorded' and got many examples, like below, which described how the show is pieced together from pre-recorded interviews, and even callers. Evidently some callers are told when to call in, which is why people like Sheeba have called in dozens of times. LOL

from google page;
Transcript of the Nancy Grace show on CNN from March 24th. The segment that Debra appears ... (Note: Debra Tate appears in a pre-recorded interview.) Link: .

From all I have gathered these two where killed because of drug money.Betheny killed because of being a witness to the crime.It is so sad

to hear of so little regard to life that anyone would kill over money.They were all good looking kids and from one report

James the suspect had only minor traffic offenses on his record.I feel bad for all the family's involved.A friend of Cord's dedicated a video in

his memory.http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150106567859704#!/video/video.php?v=10150106567859704

I hate to be cynical but once again this is yet another example of the medias obsession with good looking non-minorities. Do you knw how many people are shot the same way over drugs or drug money? Hundreds! Watch the first 48 and you know what I'm talking about. If this were a Hispanic or black couple it wouldn't have even made news. I feel bad that these people died but Jesus if you lay down with dogs then your gonna be covered in fleas.

To hear Nancy go on and on about how good kids they were, blah, blah blah. I told my dh that they probably did drugs or dealt them.

I hate to be cynical but once again this is yet another example of the medias obsession with good looking non-minorities. Do you knw how many people are shot the same way over drugs or drug money? Hundreds! Watch the first 48 and you know what I'm talking about. If this were a Hispanic or black couple it wouldn't have even made news. I feel bad that these people died but Jesus if you lay down with dogs then your gonna be covered in fleas.

To hear Nancy go on and on about how good kids they were, blah, blah blah. I told my dh that they probably did drugs or dealt them.

You are right, this happens every day in the big cities across the country. And NG will probably drop it, as soon as she gets the word that drugs were involved. She dropped Lisa and Johnny's case as soon as arrest records, etc. leaked out, even though the killers are still on the loose in that case. She wants all of her victms to be spotless.

That's why it was so weird to me to watch the show, knowing an arrest had been made several hours earlier. She would have had to tape the show in the early afternoon not to have known. Usually her whole show is pre-recorded or it is all live. Sometimes she just works off bad info; a few weeks ago she was doing the story about the woman who died from butt implants; she had this photo of this woman up on the screen looking rather trashy and the whole time she was saying it was the person who injected this beautiful "classically trained" dancer and finally one of her producers had to tell her that no, that was in fact the woman who died. Nancy was beside herself with embarrassment and the topic was changed pretty quickly.

I agree with you and also, hate to say it, but to me, (even before the drug connection and arrest ) his face and eyes had that wasted look-- like he was starting to deteriorate from drug use already. Also--he was studying to be a nurse and in the memorial videos he's shown feeding beer to a pet bird and a puppy. Not too cool, IMO.

I agree with you and also, hate to say it, but to me, (even before the drug connection and arrest ) his face and eyes had that wasted look-- like he was starting to deteriorate from drug use already. Also--he was studying to be a nurse and in the memorial videos he's shown feeding beer to a pet bird and a puppy. Not too cool, IMO.

Wow what a response and I am a little surprised.I look at everyone the same way and don't think of race or minority.I know drug killings happen everyday.It doesn't make it right.The three involved don't appear to be hardened criminals with long arrest records.That is
what surprised me the most.I am new on here and just learning.Please bear with me

Well I guess you all already had this one figured out correctly.According to a poster on this newspaper forum Cord was a drug dealer and James was a buyer and seller.James either didn't have the money or wouldn't pay and that's when it all went downhill.He also said James was hopped up on drugs at the time.If this is true it makes me mad as hell.Selling drugs is not only illegal,it kills and ruins other people lives.To think his dad was on Nancy Grace talking about what a good vacuum salesman he was and going to school for nursing.That is just too scary.I guess his dad thought he made all that money selling vacuums.If you want to read the post that poster wrote his screen name is :quiet
http://www.topix.com/forum/source/columbus-dispatch/TVA6EAIN9FE2N86LQ/p3

Well I guess you all already had this one figured out correctly.According to a poster on this newspaper forum Cord was a drug dealer and James was a buyer and seller.James either didn't have the money or wouldn't pay and that's when it all went downhill.He also said James was hopped up on drugs at the time.If this is true it makes me mad as hell.Selling drugs is not only illegal,it kills and ruins other people lives.To think his dad was on Nancy Grace talking about what a good vacuum salesman he was and going to school for nursing.That is just too scary.I guess his dad thought he made all that money selling vacuums.If you want to read the post that poster wrote his screen name is :quiet
http://www.topix.com/forum/source/columbus-dispatch/TVA6EAIN9FE2N86LQ/p3

I always wonder how parents can be so in the dark about what their kids are really doing. It's such a shame.

From July 2011:

http://www.starbeacon.com/news/loca...cle_6f4e2363-cf63-5182-a9ea-2b0318351939.html

When Nick Cox learned nearly five months ago that his brother, Cord, had been shot and killed, the second person he called with the news was good friend James Leider, 20, of Geneva.

On Monday afternoon, Leider pleaded guilty to the aggravated murder of Cord Cox, 23, of Austinburg Township, and his 25-year-old girlfriend, Betheny Mehall of Geneva. “You lied straight to my face,” a tearful Nick Cox told Leider.

Following the terms of a negotiated agreement, Common Pleas Court Judge Alfred Mackey immediately sentenced Leider to two consecutive life sentences in prison. He will not be eligible for parole until he has served 25 years on each count.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dany998
Back