OH OH - Beverly Jarosz, 16, Garfield Heights, 28 Dec 1964

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...urder-of-teen-in-1964-but-need-your/21901942/
[h=1]Police have suspects in murder of teen in 1964 -- but need your help[/h]

Mar 17th 2017

"We do have some suspects; there are at least two prime suspects," said Det. Carl Biegacki of the Garfield Heights Police Department. "Through technology and science and some other investigative routes we were able to develop them; however, we need another piece of the puzzle."

"We want facts, not theories," the detective said. "We need someone who has firsthand knowledge, someone that has been sitting on a secret for years."

The I-Team has learned detectives do have some DNA."We are continuing to work this case, and we won't give up," Biegacki said.
CrimeStoppers of Cuyahoga County is offering a reward of up to $2,500 for information that leads to the arrest or indictment of the person responsible. Callers can remain anonymous. The number is 216-252-7463.

Her sister seems so sweet. Are the parents still living?

Not sure about the Dad, but her Mom is alive, afaik, and still waiting for answers.
https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...your/21901942/
Beverly's sister, Carol Bartos, says she and her 91-year-old mother need closure.

"We are hoping someone will give us, shed light on what really, who really did this to her," Bartos told Fox 8.

Published on Sep 20, 2016

Please, if you have 4 minutes to spare, watch this video our good friend Steve Gibson created for our KickStarter. The murder of Beverly Jarosz is horrific and heart breaking, but her Story is something much different. During the Podcast we created on Beverly with her sister, Carol Bartos, we discussed how Beverly loved to write poetry - and one day dreamed about publishing them. An unknown person took stalled Beverly's dream for 52 years, but with your help - we will be fulfilling that very dream
[video=youtube;C8-Wfcj3vTc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8-Wfcj3vTc[/video]

Carol, Bev's sister, says she has the letter opener; the only thing missing was Bev's DIARY. I had not heard that before. The only reason to take someone's diary under those circumstances is to hide evidence of the killer(s) identity that might be found within those pages.

LE still has the ring and bracelet that was anonymously given to Bev. Margie, her best friend, said Bev used to wear the ring sometimes. Why would she wear it if she was frightened about the giver?.

As conjecture, is it possible that the person who gave these gifts to Beverly identified himself to her. Especially if she wore it around sometime even if she was kinda jumpy about it could mean she knew the person etc and with her diary getting stolen cause she might have written who it was that gave her the gifts which they could pin the murder on the same person who could be the killer, so that's why the diary was taken.

Very interesting case. I read about it many years ago. I don't remember any mention of her diary missing. That must have been held back for years.

That's a pretty huge reveal into the crime. Only reason a murderer would take a girl's diary is if there was a chance that their name appeared in it and/or any mention of recent drama in her life.

Yeah it may have been a 'blitz' style attack but she was blitzed by someone she knew. The attack takes place upstairs in her bedroom as she is getting dressed(or undressed).

The issue with the gifts is very interesting. Count me in with those who don't believe she was truly afraid of this person. She's wearing the ring as if she got it from a boyfriend.

IMO this supposed stalker/secret admirer may have been an older family friend(or even a cousin/uncle) she was involved with, maybe casually or even platonic that went horribly wrong for reasons we'll never know.

The phone call shows that her killer was making sure she was alone. Smart move on his part to use the fake name as he has no idea she is going to write that down. I also believe this call had more to do with making sure her little sister was gone, not her parents. He likely knew her parents general schedule/patterns but there was a good chance her little sister would be home with her. She was alone...so he came over.

That one crime scene photo shows that they probably fought to some extent. It looks like he rammed her head into that wall. Horrible.

We'd need to know more about what was really going on in her personal life. We're not even close to seeing the big picture. She'd had at least two boyfriends, one of them in college so this means she's not opposed to dating/hanging out with guys at least a few years older than her. She also had a couple friends she'd run around with.

Was there some stress between Bev and Barb, with Bev hurrying to be ready for Barb's 1PM arrival, and Barb stating she thought Bev might not be answering the doorbell because Bev was irritated Barb was late?
This might be the million dollar question in this case. That timeline is really odd. A lot has to fit in to a very short period of time....and it has to play out just perfectly for Barb to walk away to safety while her friend is being brutally murdered upstairs.

Too bad that diary cant be found.

I don't think that peculiar robbery has anything to do with her murder. They had got away with it at that point....so no need to insert yourself back in that home and up the risk of detection. They took her diary....which shows they were thinking things out and anything that required removal would've been taken right after her murder.

I don't think that peculiar robbery has anything to do with her murder. They had got away with it at that point....so no need to insert yourself back in that home and up the risk of detection. They took her diary....which shows they were thinking things out and anything that required removal would've been taken right after her murder.
My guess is that "they" took the diary and read it. After reading they learned that she hid something important behind those pictures. Since her parents weren't moving away there was low risk of anyone taking that pictures off the wall so they weren't risking with sneaking into the house.
But when they were 100% sure that nobody's home, they took a chance and came back to take remaining evidence.

All of that indicates that she was murdered by someone close enough to know her family habits and social connections but not close enough to visit their home and sneak into her room during "regular" visit.
If there was something hidden behind those pictures hanging on the wall, there were either her unknown pictures with her murderer or someone really close to him or some kind of "love" letters, possibly small "secret" diary (not very likely, but i heard that some girls use to have and hid those things extremely well).

I'm not sure about the timeline of her wearing that jewelery - is that possible that she was wearing it occacionally for some time while she wasn't scared of that person but later stopped as she started to feel afraid?

After al I doubt that she was murdered by her secret boyfriend - I mean that for me that doesn't fit very well.

Why calling her and asking about her father? If the murderer was her "secret boyfriend", he could just arrange their regular secret date with no weird call?
Also she would probably recognize his voice.
And if she was afraid of him, she wouldn't let him in. So maybe it wasn't "him"? Maybe it was "her"? Some jealous girl who would appear as suspect if anyone would realize who gave her jewelery and that's why her diary and whatever was hidden behind pictures was stolen?

I know this case inside and out since 1964 and it still haunts not only me but all of us when we become absorbed in the case. I think that all these years we all go around and around on the very same circle of people and we never get anywhere. Over and over and over the same the same and nothing of fruition comes out. It has to be someone we all have overlooked. Someone so under the radar that no one has ever thought of him. I have come to believe that perhaps it is a priest. Beverly was devoted to her faith, as was her family. She would have had regular contact with priest. She worked as a volunteer around clergy. It is something highly perverted that came into her world totally under the radar. Who were the priests around her at that time? Who had access to her? Her killer is pure evil. It is just a complete waste of time for over 54 years now to keep going around in the same circle there is no more ways to possibly construe from that circle the killer. The murder was definately not random and no one in her circle - not the family, not the regular people mentioned over and over and over and over for 54 years he is not in that circle. Otherwise, 54 more years will go by and it will be the same circle of people we are looking at with zero results. Beverly was hiding something. There was something she could not share, as is evident by the feelings of being watched, having to close the drapes and hide, the poetry that she wrote screams out that she has secrets. Something highly secretive was torturing her in private that she did not show to the world. A priest would have access to her and maybe he did for a long time as we all know victims who said NOTHING for YEARS and YEARS. A priest would know her parents, her family, her activities and knew that he would never be a suspect in any way because priests were fiercely protected at that time to the detriment of many children who paid a very high price with their physical and emotional suffering for decades. Priests were moved around, nurtured, and absolved of any misdoing or crimes so he would have gotten away with whatever he wanted.

Last edited:
My guess is that "they" took the diary and read it. After reading they learned that she hid something important behind those pictures. Since her parents weren't moving away there was low risk of anyone taking that pictures off the wall so they weren't risking with sneaking into the house.
But when they were 100% sure that nobody's home, they took a chance and came back to take remaining evidence.

All of that indicates that she was murdered by someone close enough to know her family habits and social connections but not close enough to visit their home and sneak into her room during "regular" visit.
If there was something hidden behind those pictures hanging on the wall, there were either her unknown pictures with her murderer or someone really close to him or some kind of "love" letters, possibly small "secret" diary (not very likely, but i heard that some girls use to have and hid those things extremely well).

I'm not sure about the timeline of her wearing that jewelery - is that possible that she was wearing it occacionally for some time while she wasn't scared of that person but later stopped as she started to feel afraid?

After al I doubt that she was murdered by her secret boyfriend - I mean that for me that doesn't fit very well.

Why calling her and asking about her father? If the murderer was her "secret boyfriend", he could just arrange their regular secret date with no weird call?
Also she would probably recognize his voice.
And if she was afraid of him, she wouldn't let him in. So maybe it wasn't "him"? Maybe it was "her"? Some jealous girl who would appear as suspect if anyone would realize who gave her jewelery and that's why her diary and whatever was hidden behind pictures was stolen?

I know this case inside and out since 1964 and it still haunts not only me but all of us when we become absorbed in the case. I think that all these years we all go around and around on the very same circle of people and we never get anywhere. Over and over and over the same the same and nothing of fruition comes out. It has to be someone we all have overlooked. Someone so under the radar that no one has ever thought of him. I have come to believe that perhaps it is a priest. Beverly was devoted to her faith, as was her family. She would have had regular contact with priest. She worked as a volunteer around clergy. It is something highly perverted that came into her world totally under the radar. Who were the priests around her at that time? Who had access to her? Her killer is pure evil. It is just a complete waste of time for over 54 years now to keep going around in the same circle there is no more ways to possibly construe from that circle the killer. The murder was definately not random and no one in her circle - not the family, not the regular people mentioned over and over and over and over for 54 years he is not in that circle. Otherwise, 54 more years will go by and it will be the same circle of people we are looking at with zero results. Beverly was hiding something. There was something she could not share, as is evident by the feelings of being watched, having to close the drapes and hide, the poetry that she wrote screams out that she has secrets. Something highly secretive was torturing her in private that she did not show to the world. A priest would have access to her and maybe he did for a long time as we all know victims who said NOTHING for YEARS and YEARS. A priest would know her parents, her family, her activities and knew that he would never be a suspect in any way because priests were fiercely protected at that time to the detriment of many children who paid a very high price with their physical and emotional suffering for decades. Priests were moved around, nurtured, and absolved of any misdoing or crimes so he would have gotten away with whatever he wanted.

Cold cases can be peculiar. Like this case, there are some where there is quite a bit of evidence, lots of people around, good information about the victim's lifestyle, habits and activities, etc, yet no killer is found.

Sometimes you read up on a case and try to figure out why it hasn't been solved in spite of hard work, a big investigation and lots of publicity. The only conclusion you can reach is that someone involved with the case probably knows who did it.

Sometimes there are cover ups or unintended oversights and tunnel vision, like the Golden State Killer who ended up being a law enforcement officer for many of the years when he was committing crimes.

Sometimes family, business or community pressure can keep an investigation from moving forward.

JMO, the theories about Beverly's killer being someone in clergy are possible. It would explain a lot about the crime itself and the long-stalled investigation. JMO, that could happen to an investigation in Maple Heights at that time.

The Cold Case forum here has quite a few cases that hint at LE involvement, institutuional cover up, etc. Perhaps we should start a thread to discuss the top candidates. JK.

<modsnipped quoted post>
I wouldnt bet much on that thought that it could be female, it was just one of few possibilities which came through my mind.
I know thats very unlikely for women to commit such a violent acts but it's also very unlikely for such brutal murders with available crime scene and victim to be unsolved for so long.
There is many more possible causes than perp being a woman with common sense inducing assumption that it has to be male and focusing on male suspects.
I know that chances for that are really really low, but for me it's still a possibility - the least important, and that's why i shared it at the end.

For me idea of woman doesnt fit very well not because of theoretical physical limits of womens body, just because it's waaay less likely and there is no need to turn into that if more probable theories weren't ruled out.
Very agressive women exist and aren't as rare as female sumo wrestlers, but I doubt that many of them could keep that abilities and nature unnoticed, no matter if it would be person able to attack by herself or manipulate someone to commit crime with her.

I mentioned it just because I was typing my thoughts, I had no intent to upset you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beverly Jarosz, age 16

Investigators might check out Ohio Inmate Robert Bowman, who was convicted of murdering another Ohio girl, Eileen Adams, in December 1967 in Toledo. He was on the loose for over 40 years and finally caught and convicted in 2011.

Beverly was a good Catholic attended Catholic school and volunteer at a hospital. She would have been around priest, who would hear her confessions, counsel and befriend her, etc. Back in those days priests were glorified and they were committing terrible acts on children and teens. Priests were never held to account at all ever. Priests were highly involved in the neighborhood and people rolled out the red carpet for the priest as he was perfect. Beverly had secrets that obviously were tormenting her. The abuse priests have committed over the decades with no rebuke whatsoever is epic. Diabolical can describe priests and Beverly sure was tormented by something. The priests from her years are most likely dead but probably left a legacy of abuses. Beverly met up with the devil. Priest being on the street calling on parishoners would be normal. No one would suspect a priest.

Bump for Bev; 54 years today.
the years roll on. why why why can't this be solved?.The criminalist Paul Holes in CA spent years on the Golden State Killer case and finally he was caught thru an excruciating process.. can't another team be called in outside of city and state ? obviously keep doing the same old same old and going nowhere. who were the priests in the diocese at that time ? what is their record? the fury of the murder was extremely personal, something really bad was going on that she was keeping secret.

Beverly Jarosz
BIRTH 1 Oct 1948
Garfield Heights, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, USA
DEATH 28 Dec 1964 (aged 16)
Garfield Heights, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, USA
BURIAL
Calvary Cemetery
Cleveland, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, USA
PLOT Sec. 70 - Lot 3641

Beverly Jarosz was a victim of one of the more horrific murders in the Cleveland area. On December 28, 1964, 16 year old Beverly was brutally strangled and stabbed in her home in Garfield Heights around 1:30 PM during her winter break from Marymount High School. Her murder remains unsolved. Beverly was a pretty girl with light brown hair and blue eyes, quiet, studious, loved literature and music, wrote poetry and volunteered her time at the nearby Marymount Hospital. The only clues to her death were mysterious gifts of jewelry that she received anonymously in the months before her murder. The police felt someone she knew killed her as she would not have opened the door to anyone.

Parents:
Thaddeus F. Jarosz 1921–2012
Eleanor Vanek Jarosz 1926–2018

LINK:
Beverly Jarosz (1948-1964) - Find A Grave...

Much has been made about the mysterious phone message Beverly wrote down. It was for her father, from a person he didn't recognise, and who never called back. Everyone is sure it was the killer calling to make sure she was home alone. While it might have, indeed, been the killer checking to see if she were home, there was NO WAY he could of known if she were alone or not. Also, it has been reported here that she sometimes wore the jewelry that arrived mysteriously the summer before, but that flies in the face of the evidence that the mysterious gifts had completely un-nerved her. Supposedly the mysterious gifts were part of the reason she was so jumpy, and in the habit of locking doors behind her, and reporting in by phone whenever she left the house. IF she let the killer in, it had to be someone she trusted. Considering her apparent paranoia, the number of male friends she trusted could probably be counted on less than one hand. Beverly died as a result of strangulation, but was also stabbed up to forty-two times. It was obvious she fought her attacker vigorously before dying. The person Horrigan, the lead investigator on this case, was sure committed the murder, was Beverly's boyfriend at the time, who was a 22-year old local college student. (The ex-boyfriend had an airtight alibi, and passed more than one polygraph.) The 22-year old's polygraph examinations were "inconclusive." Still, did the 22-year old have cuts on his hands? It's doubtful he could have stabbed a struggling, healthy, teenager, without incurring some damage to himself. I won't use his name here, but it seems to me Horrigan was on the right track, and he was probably the person who killed this kid. What became of the DNA evidence the police ran in 2017? WHY is this case STILL unsolved? Who, if anyone, does Beverly's sister and best friend Barbara suspect in this case? If it wasn't the 22-year old boyfriend, then only a wild DNA hit will ever solve this mystery. This young woman was a 16-year old kid with her whole life in front of her when she was brutally murdered. My grandmother knew her, and I remember the effect it had on her when she was killed. If it was, in fact, the 22-year old boyfriend, he's lived his entire life getting away with murder. Yes, they were both young. Yes, it's probably the only murder he ever committed. It's time to pay the piper, though. Why haven't they brought him in yet? Enough is enough!

In James Renner's book The Serial Killer's Apprentice, there is a chapter about Beverly Jarosz. It was such a provocative story that it left me with lots of questions:

--- Why would Bev, as well as her mother, feel a dark foreboding of death and danger coming at them in the weeks before Bev was murdered? Had the family had some kind of trauma that we don't know about? That made them feel "what next?" (We all have had that kind of PTSD when we suffer several great losses in a row...)

--- Was the gift box or the anonymous gifts (of the silver bracelet and ring) available for forensic testing?

--- Why did the apparently nice young man, James M, living next door to Bev's grandmother go home and change his clothes after his stated 15-minute trip driving Bev home? He said he did that and then had something for lunch.

--- Bev made a habit of locking all the doors all the time, so... who did she let in between her 1:00-ish phone call to her mom and the 1:20 arrival of her friend Barb? The window of opportunity might have been smaller, depending on how long she spoke with her mom. Was the murderer already in the house? If so, how?

--- Was there some stress between Bev and Barb, with Bev hurrying to be ready for Barb's 1PM arrival, and Barb stating she thought Bev might not be answering the doorbell because Bev was irritated Barb was late? It just didn't sound like an easygoing relationship.

--- Same as above.... why did Barb leave when there was no answer at the door, yet she heard loud music and a crashing like a dresser drawer closing inside? Did she really think Bev was angry at her? Wouldn't she have have gone to a house next door and called Bev? It sounded like there was tension in that relationship. Or, they were more casual friends where you give the other person "more space"?

--- It didn't seem like Bev recognized the voice of the man, "Stephen Stackowicz" (who called maybe to find out if Bev was home alone)? If she recognized the voice as a boyfriend or a guy she knew, she wouldn't have left her father that written message.

--- Bev was strangled with a rope tied in a square knot. Who typically uses that kind of knot? Per Wiki, it's used for sailing, tying bandages, macrame, sashes, obis, and belts, as well as in Boy (or Girl) Scouts.

--- What happened to the 19-year-old boy, John P who was home the day of the murder and admitted to watching Bev sunbathe previously?

--- Bev's current boyfriend, Roger M didn't have a good alibi, just that he was home sick... Detective Horrigan felt there were questionable things in his story, even though Roger passed a lie detector test. Remember that forensics showed that Bev had never had sex... a current boyfriend might be a likely guy to put the pressure on for that and then get enraged at a refusal.

--- Besides James Renner's book, I've read posters' comments about the middle-aged, on-strike/off-from-work neighbor, James k, who often stood at his window and looked at Bev's house. At first he said he saw the killer running away, but later changed his story to say that he lied to get attention. Posters wondered if he was paid off by the murderer's family....

I'd love to hear comments or corrections!
This is the site that's actually solved cold cases? Well, even a broken clock is right once every 12-hours. The kid who gave Beverly the ride home was looked at HARD and cleared. Where did you hear that he went home and changed his clothes? I've been interested in this case since it happened and never heard that before. I've seen others try to pin this homicide on Beverly's friend Barbara, but she was also interrogated numerous times. Not as a suspect, but as a witness. Chances are good she was outside Beverly's house as the murder was actually being committed. No, the number one suspect in this case was Beverly's 22-year old boyfriend at the time. I won't mention his name, but he became the focus of the investigation within the first 24-hours. He's still around, last I heard, free as a bird. If he's innocent, he shouldn't have any problem with making his DNA available to test against the DNA they came up with in 2017. Of course, he hasn't, which doesn't mean he's necessarily guilty, but...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
420xtal
Back