OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 Apr 2006 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I know it has been discussed many times before, but Hurst now claims that Brian's ex said Brian had experimented with men sexually AND he confirmed with a male that it happened before... Who was that male that stated it was true? Hurst also said Brian and Clint possibly could have been more than friends. I think that is potentially a big clue if true. It would either give motive and/or during a time where a lot of crazy stories happen when homosexual relationships tried to meet on the internet in 2006.

I was really hoping the interview would dive into further details of the medical students he met at the bar and the two women he spoke with before "vanishing" - never even brought up during the interview. Also, there are confirmed phone pings after he left the bar (initially and 6 months later) so I found it odd that Hurst's theory is he got drunk and ended up in a dumpster. I don't see how he comes to that conclusion based on the phone pings

I know it has been discussed many times before, but Hurst now claims that Brian's ex said Brian had experimented with men sexually AND he confirmed with a male that it happened before... Who was that male that stated it was true? Hurst also said Brian and Clint possibly could have been more than friends. I think that is potentially a big clue if true. It would either give motive and/or during a time where a lot of crazy stories happen when homosexual relationships tried to meet on the internet in 2006.

I was really hoping the interview would dive into further details of the medical students he met at the bar and the two women he spoke with before "vanishing" - never even brought up during the interview. Also, there are confirmed phone pings after he left the bar (initially and 6 months later) so I found it odd that Hurst's theory is he got drunk and ended up in a dumpster. I don't see how he comes to that conclusion based on the phone pings.
I agree that it could be a big clue if Brian and Clint could have been more than friends and that is why Clint lawyered up rather quickly, or if Brian was questioning his sexuality since it is now said that he experimented with men in the past. So many questions...

Amber Ruic was the last person to talk to Brian while Brightan was in the bathroom. What did they speak about? Did she ask him to meet them out back? Why did she seem upset on surveillance minutes before they leave and Brian disappears?

Imo, Brian Shaffer most likely left the building via the only other exit from the 2nd floor where there is a service door not meant for public use.

July 16, 2024

Brian Shaffer makes the 30-minute drive from Columbus to celebrate the start of Spring Break with a steak dinner at his father’s house.

Over dinner, Brian excitedly discusses his upcoming vacation to Miami with girlfriend, Alexis Waggoner. According to family, Brian plans to propose. Brian also mentions his plans to go out that evening with his former roommate, William “Clint” Florence.

Full article at link...

I was really hoping the interview would dive into further details of the medical students he met at the bar and the two women he spoke with before "vanishing" - never even brought up during the interview. Also, there are confirmed phone pings after he left the bar (initially and 6 months later) so I found it odd that Hurst's theory is he got drunk and ended up in a dumpster. I don't see how he comes to that conclusion based on the phone pings.
It's possible from Detective Hurst's comments that both Brian and Clint were bisexual or in the closet. Perhaps Brian was looking for a random encounter with a man that night but met up with a killer like Bruce McArthur.

Those would be the kind of circumstances where he'd disappear without witnesses, for instance, by getting into a car on a desolate street or in a parking lot at night and then being driven somewhere else where the murder took place under the pretenses of a casual encounter. The only witness to Brian being lured under such pretenses would be the killer himself. He's probably never going to talk about it or where the body is.

As an aside, it's kind of ridiculous as to how much has been made about him not being seen leaving on camera. One exit had a camera, but security told police that it had been overwritten when they requested it. People could leave through the construction exit as well, which wasn't monitored by a camera. I applaud the detective who went through the footage from the main entrance and confirmed that Brian wasn't seen leaving, but you can't really do anything with that information in light of the overwritten footage from the other exit and the possibility of him leaving through the construction exit.

Last edited:
After having caught up with the latest discussion/newest information on the case I have a couple thoughts/theories I just wanted to write down.

1. Whilst I’m not of the belief that Clint necessarily had anything to do with Brian’s disappearance, I do think their friendship dynamic was interesting.
According to information revealed Clint and Brian had several arguments in the time before Brian’s disappearance, Clint apparently fancied Meredith, who in turn fancied Brian and Clint apparently also fancied Alexis, who was with Brian. I wonder if Clint was resentful of Brian seemingly getting all the girls? Especially when it didn’t seem he was that much into Alexis, judging by his behaviour the night of his disappearance in terms of flirting with other girls, kissing them, taking their phone numbers, etc…

2. I believe that the search dogs tracked Brian’s scent firstly to what was once a Wendy’s nearby and then on to a factory/warehouse space. It was said that the scent hit on in Wendy’s lot in particular was the bodily fluids variety specifically. I’m assuming he went into the lot to urinate. Makes sense knowing how some people get after alcohol with needing to go.

3. I’m not sure whether I believe he managed to make it home to his apartment that night or not, but more likely that he didn’t and that something happened to him in the early hours of the morning whilst making his way there.

4. In the CCTV footage shown outside the bar with the 2 females- initially I thought he was tapping the girl to get her attention as at that point she had turned her back to him and appeared to be on the phone, but having watched again I notice that Brian appears to be eyeing the security guards before taking something out of his pocket and then possibly depositing it into one of the ladies handbags whilst turning his back to security. Could it have been drugs he wanted to offload for fear that they’d be discovered on him? If so, I could see why she wouldn’t have come forward after the fact- I mean who would believe her that somebody else put them there? She’d probably be scared of being accused of taking/dealing drugs herself. It also begs the question that if Brian ‘lost’ his drug baggy before taking cash for them, if he worked in a dealing capacity then could the higher ups of came after him? I imagine they’d be angry if no drugs nor money.

5. I believe like many others that Brian exited a different way then via the escalators due to avoidance of others. Whether those others were Clint and Meredith, the security guards standing at the top of the escalators or somebody else entirely I do not know. But I do believe that was the motive for the different exit.

BBM. Sounds right. This case seems like one of those college CI programs that went south.. same theme as a lot of others.

Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if known dealer(s) killed him, threw his cell phone and moved the body the next day (before he was reported missing.) This would explain the lack of police updates, him never leaving the club and Clint not wanting a lie detector (he might have known Brian was going to do a supervised deal.) It's a 15 year old case with no sight of the missing-- if he was a C.I LE would be at fault and possibly sued.

JMO: LE knows exactly what happened but can't say anything until they have enough evidence for an arrest and that may never come.

BBM. Sounds right. This case seems like one of those college CI programs that went south.. same theme as a lot of others.

Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if known dealer(s) killed him, threw his cell phone and moved the body the next day (before he was reported missing.) This would explain the lack of police updates, him never leaving the club and Clint not wanting a lie detector (he might have known Brian was going to do a supervised deal.) It's a 15 year old case with no sight of the missing-- if he was a C.I LE would be at fault and possibly sued.

JMO: LE knows exactly what happened but can't say anything until they have enough evidence for an arrest and that may never come.
What is a college CI program?

It's possible from Detective Hurst's comments that both Brian and Clint were bisexual or in the closet. Perhaps Brian was looking for a random encounter with a man that night but met up with a killer like Bruce McArthur.

Those would be the kind of circumstances where he'd disappear without witnesses, for instance, by getting into a car on a desolate street or in a parking lot at night and then being driven somewhere else where the murder took place under the pretenses of a casual encounter. The only witness to Brian being lured under such pretenses would be the killer himself. He's probably never going to talk about it or where the body is.

As an aside, it's kind of ridiculous as to how much has been made about him not being seen leaving on camera. One exit had a camera, but security told police that it had been overwritten when they requested it. People could leave through the construction exit as well, which wasn't monitored by a camera. I applaud the detective who went through the footage from the main entrance and confirmed that Brian wasn't seen leaving, but you can't really do anything with that information in light of the overwritten footage from the other exit and the possibility of him leaving through the construction exit.
I must admit that even after reading the threads, I remain totally confused about exits and cctv cameras.

Can anybody provide verified info (with links, I guess) on:

- exactly how many exits there were (please assign a name (and/or number), and location for each exit))?
- which of the above named exits were covered by cctv cameras?
- which of the above named exits with cctv cameras had “rotating type” cameras that might have missed Brian leaving?
and,
- which of the above named exit cctv cameras contained data or video that had been over-written and was therefore useless?
(a link would be especially here,
because if there truly was an exit
that was not covered at all, why did
LE spend so much time - and why
has there been so much discussion
about - Brian not being seen
exiting (leading some to conclude
he never exited the building or
could only have exited via
the construction exit)?

Also, can anybody provide verified information on the hallway?
- where is it located?
- where does it lead?
- are there rooms or doorways off of the hallway?
- if the hallway leads to a service elevator, where does the service elevator lead)?

- was there a trash chute?

-is it possible that Brian remained inside the club for several hours after the bar closed (say, if he passed out somewhere hidden in a corner or behind a stage or in a closet or somewhere (I’m not familiar with the layout) and exited the next day?

Lastly, how (and when) did the band leave with their equipment? Would Brian have been seen (and identifiable) on cctv if he left with the band? I assume that all band members were interviewed, and that Brian was not with them (either exiting or at any type of after party if there was one..)?

Sorry so many questions. It’s just that so many posts seem to rehash the “how did Brian leave?” question (which I certainly understand), without there being seemingly being “absolute” facts about exits and cameras. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

All just my opinion

I must admit that even after reading the threads, I remain totally confused about exits and cctv cameras.

Can anybody provide verified info (with links, I guess) on:

- exactly how many exits there were (please assign a name (and/or number), and location for each exit))?
- which of the above named exits were covered by cctv cameras?
- which of the above named exits with cctv cameras had “rotating type” cameras that might have missed Brian leaving?
and,
- which of the above named exit cctv cameras contained data or video that had been over-written and was therefore useless?
(a link would be especially here,
because if there truly was an exit
that was not covered at all, why did
LE spend so much time - and why
has there been so much discussion
about - Brian not being seen
exiting (leading some to conclude
he never exited the building or
could only have exited via
the construction exit)?

Also, can anybody provide verified information on the hallway?
- where is it located?
- where does it lead?
- are there rooms or doorways off of the hallway?
- if the hallway leads to a service elevator, where does the service elevator lead)?

- was there a trash chute?

-is it possible that Brian remained inside the club for several hours after the bar closed (say, if he passed out somewhere hidden in a corner or behind a stage or in a closet or somewhere (I’m not familiar with the layout) and exited the next day?

Lastly, how (and when) did the band leave with their equipment? Would Brian have been seen (and identifiable) on cctv if he left with the band? I assume that all band members were interviewed, and that Brian was not with them (either exiting or at any type of after party if there was one..)?

Sorry so many questions. It’s just that so many posts seem to rehash the “how did Brian leave?” question (which I certainly understand), without there being seemingly being “absolute” facts about exits and cameras. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

All just my opinion
Is it possible Brian remained in the club for several hours after the bar closed? I think so and no one that I know of has ever come up with that possibility until now; good speculation! I've worked in office buildings and retail stores in my time and some have security, others don't, so he wouldn't necessarily been seen by a living soul if he waited. Any CCTV footage from later in the morning that would show him leaving is now beyond recall. I wonder how many hours of footage LE looked at.

Is it possible Brian remained in the club for several hours after the bar closed? I think so and no one that I know of has ever come up with that possibility until now; good speculation! I've worked in office buildings and retail stores in my time and some have security, others don't, so he wouldn't necessarily been seen by a living soul if he waited. Any CCTV footage from later in the morning that would show him leaving is now beyond recall. I wonder how many hours of footage LE looked at.

BBM: Yes.

To everyone else who asked. CI = Confidential Informant.

The program was used to bust dealers by detaining the buyers of drugs and offering them a clean record if they go make a controlled buy.

This is how Rachel Hoffman died (and a lot of other missing college students IMO.)
A decade later, Rachel Hoffman's tragic death helps to make police informants safer

Since listening to Columbus Police Sergeant JH (now retired) on True Crime Garage, the narrative has changed a little for me. Curious why this new info just now being released?

I’ve followed this case since Brian first went missing. Iirc, this is the first time it’s ever been mentioned about a relationship between Brian and CF being more than friends.

Allegedly CF would not speak to LE or help found Brian. This caused me to wonder about CF and what (if anything) was he hiding. It makes some sense now. Guessing he did not want his relationship with Brian exposed? CF put his own selfish feelings over Brian. What a friend!

I can’t disregard the dumpster theory. Campus is high crime and it is possible that Brian was attacked/jumped and placed in a dumpster? Or maybe he could be found in the Olentangy river? I know Sergeant Hurst disregarded this, but I still think its a possibility.

As always its moo

Since listening to Columbus Police Sergeant JH (now retired) on True Crime Garage, the narrative has changed a little for me. Curious why this new info just now being released?

I’ve followed this case since Brian first went missing. Iirc, this is the first time it’s ever been mentioned about a relationship between Brian and CF being more than friends.

Allegedly CF would not speak to LE or help found Brian. This caused me to wonder about CF and what (if anything) was he hiding. It makes some sense now. Guessing he did not want his relationship with Brian exposed? CF put his own selfish feelings over Brian. What a friend!

I can’t disregard the dumpster theory. Campus is high crime and it is possible that Brian was attacked/jumped and placed in a dumpster? Or maybe he could be found in the Olentangy river? I know Sergeant Hurst disregarded this, but I still think its a possibility.

As always its moo
Agreed, this is the first time that BS and CF's potential interest in each other has been mentioned openly.

BUT, it was talked about quite a bit in the first few years on other forums. It was implied that CF may have been jealous of Brian, and there had been some notable issues/disagreements between them in the previous months. Whether this is related to the mystery is another question, but it could sorta explain CF's hesitance to work with police more.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Egladva
Back