OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 Apr 2006 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It doesn't seem like the simplest solution to suggest that he died in a busy bar with possibly hundreds of people around and no one noticed. To me, Occam's razor leads one to conclude that he left through the exit that had a camera but whose footage had been overwritten by the time the police requested it (as security claimed). It was either that exit or the construction exit without a camera.

I remember reading that the same thing happened at a lot of places around High Street when police requested their camera footage--it had either been overwritten or the police were told that the camera wasn't working.

The lack of surveillance footage is a factor of the timing of the investigation relative to Brian's disappearance. Some businesses with cameras also don't want to be bothered with helping a police investigation for various reasons, e.g. a lack of time, they don't know how to access the footage, or they're afraid of providing self-incriminating footage on unrelated issues (even as simple as city ordinance violations).
My apologies if I misspoke. I do not necessarily believe he died in a bar full of people. The bar was closing and people were leaving. In Columbus, closing time is 2:30 am and usually at 2 am they start clearing out pretty quickly since 2-2:15 am is last call. The police saw Brian go back in the bar with surveillance, so we know he didn't come back out the front, right? Brian could not have been the only person that knew or used that back exit during this time. At least a few people could have used the same path and noticed Brian, and with the media coverage in the area of this case, someone would have came forward. But no one has or at least we have not been told this fact. I used to live near the Ugly Tuna when this happened and now only live about 10ish minutes away, so I have following the case since and wish we had some answers.

Last edited:
Reading back through the thread- I'd kind of like to know where Hurst got his information about Brian and Clint possibly being more than friends, because this is the first I've heard about that possibility, and I've followed the case since jump. I am, however, feeling a bit silly that I didn't think of the confidential informant possibility sooner, bc IMO that would account for many of the strange details of the case.

I’d love to hear the police interviews around the time before news Brian was not seen leaving on CCTV. Did the PD not push any theories on anyone? I feel like a few stories don’t match from then and now.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they have evidence he left the bar, but have made it seem like he didn’t hoping someone spills some info…even though I think most agree he definitely left.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
martin andreasen
Back