OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for sharing your story, SisterMadly. It is greatly appreciated and welcomed. I know exactly what you are talking about. Unfortunately, it is a regular occurrence around the OSU campus area. I have heard some horrible stories from a few students.

Glad you are safe and thank you for calling police!

Randy - may you rest in peace. So sad to hear of his passing. I first found out about this case around 9/10/08 and was really just taken with it. To find out his dad died just a few days after I started researching this case has taken me by surprise. Brian was a BABE. What a catch.

:confused: this world we live in is so broken.

I had an experience this weekend that brought Brian to my mind really sharply.

At about 2 am this Saturday I was out with friends at a bar on High Street on the same block as the Ugly Tuna, when I witnessed a couple being assaulted by 3 men. The couple was on the ground and was being beaten by this group. My friends and I summoned help and called 911, but once it was all over and we were home, my mind really started swirling...

Assuming that he did leave the Ugly Tuna and security cameras just didn't pick him up for whatever reason...what if something like this happened to Brian and there was no one around, or at least no one willing to summon help or report this to the police. What if people did witness something happening to Brian and are still out there there and still unwilling to report what they saw?

I've always thought there's no way something like this could happen in the area that Brian was last seen because it's a busy area that at 2 am on a weekend is crawling with people, and usually has a lot of police patrolling. But really it only took seconds for this incident that we witnessed to happen, and something similar could have happened to Brian without anyone ever seeing it, hearing it, knowing it happened.

I guess I'm finally accepting that something really could have happened to Brian right there on this crowded street with police only blocks away. I guess part of the reason why I believed that Brian really is out there running away from his problems or in a fugue was because I needed to convince myself that I'm perfectly safe when walking (and occasionally stumbling) around the same area that the Ugly Tuna is located.

I know these are by far not new ideas and this whole post is off-topic-ish and I'm not even quite sure of my own point, but I don't really have anywhere else to share this stuff and I need it out of my head! And at least it gives me a reason to bump the thread! :)

SisterMadly, it's not off topic at all...it very much pertains to this case. Thanks for sharing your experience and like arielilane said, thanks for calling the police when you saw the assault.

That really saddens me to hear of that happening in that area. I also thought it was safer. I'll be down there in less than 2 weeks for the OSU-Penn State game and hope I get a chance to go directly to that area.

SisterMadly, it's not off topic at all...it very much pertains to this case. Thanks for sharing your experience and like arielilane said, thanks for calling the police when you saw the assault.

That really saddens me to hear of that happening in that area. I also thought it was safer. I'll be down there in less than 2 weeks for the OSU-Penn State game and hope I get a chance to go directly to that area.

I love Columbus, but it can get pretty wild, especially on a game night!

Someone said it earlier in this thread and it is very true that the tone of the area changes from block to block. The Ugly Tuna is located in an area near campus that is completely redone, well-lit and nice. Cross the street to the next block though...not so much.

I just wish I could do something to help find this man.

It is with the deepest report that I have to post this information. Randy Shaffer, Brian's father, lost his life on 9/14/08 during a windstorm. He was a couragous man who fought for the last 2 years and 5 months to find answers regarding his son's disappearance. He was an advocate for many missing persons and worked endlessly in his fight for the missing. Please pray for Derek, who over the course of the last 2 1/2 years has now lost his mother, father, grandfather and is still dealing with a missing brother. Randy, rest in peace my friend. I miss you so much. --- Lori

http://www.findbrianshaffer.com/http://www.findbrianshaffer.com/

A freak accident and Randy Shaffer is gone. It is heartbreaking. It is so unfair. I can't help but ask "why?" I know he looked so hard for Brian. I didn't know Brian but I can't help but believe that Brian would never have just took off after everything his family had been through with the mom's illness. Would Brian have put his dad and brother through hell? He would have known how his missing would affect the rest of his family. No matter how bad Brian was feeling it just doesn't seem like he would have just focused on himself. I hope he is still alive but I really don't think he is.

Whoever sent that message should have to face some consequesces. That was a cruel thing to do to the brother. It was such a short little message that I really thought it might have been Brian. Is there a chance that Brian might be in that city? Just because the message didn't come from the Virgin Islands doesn't mean that it couldn't have been Brian. It's to bad that posters couldn't be placed around that city just incase.

My heart goes out to this family. How they can survive so much heartache is beyond me. I will keep them in my thoughts and prayers. :(

I got this in my Google News alert for Brian - this appears to be Brian's cousin, who was 18 years old and passed away last Friday.

http://www.kypost.com/mostpopular/story.aspx?content_id=36d897a0-09ef-456b-ade6-e067b45dfbb7

I can't believe all of the tragedy that one family has had to endure over the past few years. My heart really goes out to them.

I got that in my Google alerts too. I just absolutely could not believe it...unbelievable how some families have to endure so much suffering and loss like this.

A skull and other human skeletal remains were found in South Cumminsville, Ohio (near Cincinnati) this morning at the intersection of Linden St. and Grove St. The remains have been taken to the Hamilton County Coroner's Office. This information was reported at www.700wlw.com.

Thanks, Helper! We need to keep an eye on those findings. Could you please start a thread in the Unidentified forum, too?

It is with the deepest report that I have to post this information. Randy Shaffer, Brian's father, lost his life on 9/14/08 during a windstorm. He was a couragous man who fought for the last 2 years and 5 months to find answers regarding his son's disappearance. He was an advocate for many missing persons and worked endlessly in his fight for the missing. Please pray for Derek, who over the course of the last 2 1/2 years has now lost his mother, father, grandfather and is still dealing with a missing brother. Randy, rest in peace my friend. I miss you so much. --- Lori

[URL="http://www.findbrianshaffer.com/"]http://www.findbrianshaffer.com/[/URL]

Link please?

I saw that in the cincy paper about Brian's cousin. You know, when this happens like it has for that family it just stuns you. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

I read an article about Randy Shaffer and he was hit in the head in his backyard DURING A STORM by a tree branch.

That really isn't bad luck like Brian's case. We all know to take cover during a storm so WHY on earth would Randy be walking in the backyard during a huge storm??? You are only tempting fate by doing things like that.

Well it was the remnants of one of the hurricanes that came through Ohio. There was no rain, thunder or lightening. It was high winds up to 80 miles per hour that came thru. The wind would be bad and then it would stop and you would think it was finished and then it would be real bad again, with no warning. Probably during one of these lulls in the storm he went out to check his property and was hit by the tree. There were several people killed that day in Cincy and Columbus in the same way.

Exactly, sunrise. I was running around all day in the storm, that day. I remember the day well. As if it was yesterday. Mr. Shaffer did what everyone else was doing when he was killed...doing what you need to do. It was a freak accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txtruecrimekat