OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hilliard is a small city/community west of Columbus about 15-20 minutes away from Campus where he disappeared from. Since he went missing from Campus the search was largely centered around that area. It doesn't mean they aren't looking for him all over the Columbus area but the Campus area is huge. If he is still around the general area he could very well be in a nearby community such as Hilliard or Dublin and be virtually unnoticed. But I don't think he sounds like the type to be missing and so close to the area and not let his dad or girlfriend know he is OK. I agree with lymom that this is a more sinister development.

lymom3 said:
So I would guess that his dad is still paying the cell phone bill to keep it active. I am not from the area but I am assuming that the Hillard tower that they are talking about is right in that area. If the phone had been off for a while and is now on, it would sound to me like it got tossed and someone found it and picked it up. Any cell phone company I've ever used (and trust me, it's been almost all of them in my area) you can get complete call records online. If Brian's dad doesn't have his account access information, certainly the police would be looking into calls made from the phone, don't you think? I can't see this meaning that Brian is using this phone that close to home without contacting friends or family. To me this seems to be a more sinister development.
The battery would still have been dead, I would think.
I could be wrong.

I would think it had to be charged?

PrayersForMaura said:
The battery would still have been dead, I would think.
I could be wrong.

I would think it had to be charged?
If it is a common type phone, someone could have purchased a charger for it and just thought it's a bonus if the phone still works. I've seen teenage kids or young adults stupidly do that before. Most people would have the number suspended or turned off once they realized the phone was missing, but in case like this where they are still hoping for clues, I would more think that someone found it discarded, charged it, powered it up and tried it just for the heck of it and found it still makes calls. I would really think however, that LE could track that fairly easily. Guess we'll see in the next few days to weeks if there is any more on this.

why is the findbrianschaffer webpage down?

it appears he had an alcohol problem, which sadly is pretty standard for many college folks days. funny how we in the US don't see that as an issue, it's just "young kids having fun". probably because so many businesses make a TON of money off of it... no one wants to question it.
it also seems he may have been into some drugs too.. he mentioned wishing he could "burn one down" with bob marley. i do think there are people who target drunk white folks leaving bars in affluent areas or around colleges... figuring they are easy targets for robbery.
if he was annebriated & not exactly street smart (as many young people who've been in college for a while, are not) who knows who he could have run into or gone off with. was he supposed to walk home from the bar? or did he take a cab?
it does seem like he was a happy guy who really loved life.

reb said:
why is the findbrianschaffer webpage down?

it appears he had an alcohol problem, which sadly is pretty standard for many college folks days. funny how we in the US don't see that as an issue, it's just "young kids having fun". probably because so many businesses make a TON of money off of it... no one wants to question it.
it also seems he may have been into some drugs too.. he mentioned wishing he could "burn one down" with bob marley. i do think there are people who target drunk white folks leaving bars in affluent areas or around colleges... figuring they are easy targets for robbery.
if he was annebriated & not exactly street smart (as many young people who've been in college for a while, are not) who knows who he could have run into or gone off with. was he supposed to walk home from the bar? or did he take a cab?
it does seem like he was a happy guy who really loved life.
His site is not down.... there were two links on this thread, and one was spelled incorrectly.
I think the first link posted had a "c" in Shaffer.
This link works... http://www.findbrianshaffer.com/

Also ... I don't think he had a drinking problem. He was a medical student who had recently lost his mom to cancer I believe. College students go to bars, it doesn't mean they have a drinking problem.

This is what Brian's girlfriend Alexis had to say on her myspace about the cell phone ringing:

There's been some news coverage recently regarding Brian's phone ringing. Here's the deal: two weekends ago on Friday September 8 at about 11:30 I called Brian cell phone as usual before going to bed. I call his phone at least once a day before I go to sleep, and sometimes more often. Anyway, that night, his phone rang which was the first time I had heard that since the last time I called and talked to him the night he disappeared. Of course, I freaked out, and called it another three times or so and each time it rang and then went to his voice mail. I asked my brother to call his phone too, and he got the same result. I called one of the detectives that had been working on the case to let him know, then I called Brian's dad to tell him about it. It continued to ring through the rest of the night and stopped sometime between 3 and 7 am. It didn't ring anymore that Saturday, but started up again sometime on Sunday morning and rang throughout the day. It wasn't ringing anymore on Monday, and hasn't since then. We also sent the phone a bunch of text messages between me, my brother, and a group of friends and family. Obviously, we were hoping and praying that this was the big break that we needed. I was very happy that I had been keeping up on paying Brian's bills for him, that's for sure! We kept it under wraps in case someone had Brian's phone and was trying to use it, or didn't know that it was turned on somehow. At this point we're not sure what happened or how it happened. These are the explanations I have heard so far from a variety of sources:
1. It was a computer glitch that caused the problem. Maybe some programming work at Cingular. This fits with the fact that since this happened there hasn't been any change on his phone bill. I've looked at it everyday since this happened, and I've been looking at all his bills for months now anyways.

2. It was actually turned on and working on and off for a weekend. Could be, and what we would want to have happend since that means that someone had the phone. Of course, if there's no way to track it without having phone calls coming in or out then it doesn't matter. Cingular told us 5 months ago that his phone didn't have GPS.

3. There's the Hilliard thing from some unnamed source that Brian's dad heard from. Apparently somehow there's information saying that Brian's phone was bouncing off some tower in Hilliard which is a suburb or Columbus, but for some reason this same information doensn't say when this happened. I think that sounds strange personally.

Basically, all I know is that for a few hours a couple of weeks ago Brian's cell phone was ringing before going to his voice mail for the first time in months. I kept calling it to hear it purely because it was one of the best sounds I have ever heard, even if no one picked up. His phone rang. That was good enough for me. It also scared the crap out of me, because I had no idea what I would say if a person answered it. I just wish I could have had the chance. I really wish I could get a straight story from someone on what happened and why because wondering where Brian is, is more than enough of a question to ask myself everyday without this one too.

His girlfriend updated her myspace - heartbreaking :(

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

My favorite coupon

I was just cleaning off my desk before going to bed so I could feel a little tiny bit productive, and I found one of my favorite things Brian ever gave to me. I have had it tucked away in the little basket that holds bills and important papers in line for filing amongst other items. He gave it to me for my birthday last fall in my birthday card. It is a handmade coupon that he printed out and then took a black marker to make little lines around it to look like where you would want to cut it out of the paper. The coupon says:

Good for ONE Free Dinner *Any restaurant in the USA** I Love You So Much!!!! You Are the most sexy understanding beautiful girl in the entire world and you make me so extremely happy and excited about the present and future....Love, Brian

From what I have read, no one can confirm that Brian left the Ugly Tuna Saloona through the public exits.

I am almost certain LE would have pursued this, but I thought I’d mention the possibility just in case it has not been fully explored. If Brian exited out the back onto the construction site, might he have fallen, perhaps into a trench or next to a poured concrete foundation? If the site was actively worked on Monday morning, April 3, there is a chance that earth moving on the site filled trenches and backfilled foundations.

I saw this on the guestbook of his site:

"I was wondering why the guy that Brian was out with when he disappeared won't take a lie detector test?"

I am wondering the same thing. :waitasec:

Prayers for Brian. Please come home safe.

bumping for brian.

can't the cops make his friend take the lie detector test?!

why would someone not take one if they have nothing to hide?!

also, does anyone know if brian was on any medication at the time of his disappearance?

anti depressants or other meds could interact with alcohol and someone inside the bar could've freaked and staged a cover up, thinking it would bring the bar bad business if it was an alcohol related death...

i dunno, just throwing out ideas. :confused:

He was a med student so I doubt he would be silly enough to mix meds and alcohol but I guess you never know!

he must've gone out through the other exit towards the construction area where nobody was supposed to be. which means he almost surely met with foul play.

i wonder if he will be found in a river nearby at some point? cause i don't believe all those midwest college boys are drowning solely because of alcohol.

Enrique Sparta said:
he must've gone out through the other exit towards the construction area where nobody was supposed to be. which means he almost surely met with foul play.

i wonder if he will be found in a river nearby at some point? cause i don't believe all those midwest college boys are drowning solely because of alcohol.
I think if he did not leave via the front, he had to have left via the back. Perhaps he then got in a vehicle with a new acquaintance. The friend that will not take a lie detector likely knows or has an idea of who the aquaintence would be.

edinburglas?? are you kidding??? surely you are. don't you know that med students are just like any other college student out there getting wasted out of their minds at bars on weekends??? some of the WORST drunks i've seen have been med students.. and one reason could be because they are studying so hard, when they finally do cut loose they overdo it and loose control... from so much pent-up stress and pressure.

Not kidding Reb - I am only 23 and know what it is like. From what I have read of this case though, I doubt meds and alcohol mixing are to blame for his disappearance, not saying that he definitely didnt mix them.

I believe he got into a fight or altercation and something came of that or it was a robbery gone wrong. I hope for his girlfriends sake I am wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fiemi