OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alleykins - yes, he goes back to the bar, because where he's headed... there is just no other place to go. It doesn't seem like there is an open space to go anywhere. There is the escalator that leads to the bar.
Also, several people have stated to have seen Brian in the bar just prior to his disappearance. There was a very short window of time between the time that he was last seen and the time when his friends started to look for him because he was nowhere to be found.
So, my main theory remains... Brian left the bar and the there was no camera at that particular exit. He probably got hit by a car and the driver put his body in the car and buried it somewhere remote. Boom! Gone! No sign of Brian anywhere!

Alleykins - yes, he goes back to the bar, because where he's headed... there is just no other place to go. It doesn't seem like there is an open space to go anywhere. There is the escalator that leads to the bar.
Also, several people have stated to have seen Brian in the bar just prior to his disappearance. There was a very short window of time between the time that he was last seen and the time when his friends started to look for him because he was nowhere to be found.
So, my main theory remains... Brian left the bar and the there was no camera at that particular exit. He probably got hit by a car and the driver put his body in the car and buried it somewhere remote. Boom! Gone! No sign of Brian anywhere!

Most hit and run drivers tend to panic, leaving the victim where they fall, and driving the heck out of there, not wanting to get blood in the car, imo.
But, i can see somebody driving along, scooping up a living Brian either through force or coercion, and taking him somewhere not to be seen again.
speculation.

Looking back, she finds it odd that a few days before that night in the bar, Brian told her to move on and find someone else, because he was struggling with his mom’s death. And that a couple of weeks before that, he asked her to “just go away” with him. --Alexis Waggoner
Bringing this article forward ICYMI (like me) This is a quote from an article that was published in the Columbus Dispatch 10 years after Brian's disappearance. http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...-years-later-brian-shaffer-still-missing.html

Most hit and run drivers tend to panic, leaving the victim where they fall, and driving the heck out of there, not wanting to get blood in the car, imo.
But, i can see somebody driving along, scooping up a living Brian either through force or coercion, and taking him somewhere not to be seen again.
speculation.

Yep, the driver probably panicked, didn't know what to do. So, he/she got out of the car, either forced Brian into the car or just put his body in the trunk and drove off!
Brian might have been alive at that point, and perhaps he died as he was being abducted, basically. Sometimes, hit and run victims die of internal bleeding, so it's not an immediate death. If medical attention is not sought, you are very likely to die of related injuries and complications.
If he was dead/ unconscious, they might have just put him in the trunk and dumped his body somewhere.
It's also useful to think that injuries like that don't oftentimes include blood or any kind of overt trauma. A closed head injury, a rupture of an organ to cause massive hemorrhage in the body is enough to kill somebody... so yeah... there may have not been blood involved in the incident. Maybe the driver himself was somewhat intoxicated and the situation was an accident, so the driver panicked and did what she/he did.

Bringing this article forward ICYMI (like me) This is a quote from an article that was published in the Columbus Dispatch 10 years after Brian's disappearance. http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...-years-later-brian-shaffer-still-missing.html

Mm... yeah... but Brian called her just a few hours before the accident to tell her that he loves her and is looking forward to their vacation.
To disappear like this is a brutal thing to do, and with all honesty, I don't think who could have done it to his father, brother and girlfriend... it's a very crazy thing to do and to leave your loved ones in immense agony wondering what happened to you... it just doesn't make sense to me.

Yep, the driver probably panicked, didn't know what to do. So, he/she got out of the car, either forced Brian into the car or just put his body in the trunk and drove off!
Brian might have been alive at that point, and perhaps he died as he was being abducted, basically. Sometimes, hit and run victims die of internal bleeding, so it's not an immediate death. If medical attention is not sought, you are very likely to die of related injuries and complications.
If he was dead/ unconscious, they might have just put him in the trunk and dumped his body somewhere.
It's also useful to think that injuries like that don't oftentimes include blood or any kind of overt trauma. A closed head injury, a rupture of an organ to cause massive hemorrhage in the body is enough to kill somebody... so yeah... there may have not been blood involved in the incident. Maybe the driver himself was somewhat intoxicated and the situation was an accident, so the driver panicked and did what she/he did.

Good points about the blood.
If it did happen that way, pretty sure the person would tell somebody- eventually, and hope that person would send in a tip even anonymously, for the sake of his remaining family.
imo.

yes, I don't think Brian Shaffer is alive. He is dead and he died that day. The only sad part... that his family doesn't have a closure and will probably grieve his disappearance for the rest of their lives. It's a terrible way to part with your loved ones... how absolutely torturous it is to lose your loved one without a trace!!!!

All we can do is keep this case alive so hopefully one day we can know the truth!!! I am only prayerful that his family and loved ones can find peace and move forward in life.

If it did happen that way, pretty sure the person would tell somebody- eventually, and hope that person would send in a tip even anonymously, for the sake of his remaining family.
imo.

I doubt it. People may go to extremes to keep themselves out of trouble and never reveal anything. There have been so many witnesses that have refused to testify because they wanted to protect themselves even when the knowledge that they had could give peace to the family or help solve a crime. People are senseless, thoughtless and careless... some people could do such a thing without ever looking back and just move on with their lives like nothing happened. Trust me, such people exist and they are among us.

I doubt it. People may go to extremes to keep themselves out of trouble and never reveal anything. There have been so many witnesses that have refused to testify because they wanted to protect themselves even when the knowledge that they had could give peace to the family or help solve a crime. People are senseless, thoughtless and careless... some people could do such a thing without ever looking back and just move on with their lives like nothing happened. Trust me, such people exist and they are among us.

Unless they are "drinkers" imo.

imo.

Not to go off topic, but there was a case years ago when a guy ran over a 10 yr old child at night, killed the boy and got rid of his body. The boy was reported missing. The only way that it was solved was... the man had an old car that one of his nephews inherited after his death. One of them was in a DUI and the police ended up confiscating the car for a search and they found old blood spots underneath the car seats, did a DNA analysis and matched with the blood of the boy who went missing years ago.

So no... people aren't always so "kind" and "courteous" to leave an anonymous tip.

Mm... yeah... but Brian called her just a few hours before the accident to tell her that he loves her and is looking forward to their vacation.
To disappear like this is a brutal thing to do, and with all honesty, I don't think who could have done it to his father, brother and girlfriend... it's a very crazy thing to do and to leave your loved ones in immense agony wondering what happened to you... it just doesn't make sense to me.

One thing I've learned as an observer of life is that you just never know. Grief does funny things to people, and human nature and behavior are unpredictable.

One thing I've learned as an observer of life is that you just never know. Grief does funny things to people, and human nature and behavior are unpredictable.

Still very hard for me to believe that. If he disappeared willingly (which I don’t think is the case)… can you possibly imagine the pain and grief and his loved ones went through? I agree that people may due unpredictable things but still don’t see what caused Brian disappear in that fashion. If he just wanted to go away I don’t think he would leave everybody to believe that he was in a great danger… and c’mon… college bar? 2am? Intoxicated? Nope… I don’t think he just went away that way in any willing or planned manner. Even if he was experiencing the loss of his mom who had passed away 3 weeks prior to his disappearance, it still just doesn’t make sense why he would just decide to go away forever. Yeah, I can see if someone is grieving and wants to just go away for a while to process their feelings. I mean his dad suddenly passed away 2 yrs after his disappearance, Brian’s younger brother remaining with no immediate family, why would Brian ever choose to disappear this way?

To me, it just doesn’t make sense. I think 9/10 times it’s the simplest answer and the scenario that makes sense, and where all the pieces of the puzzle fit together. Like in most disappeared people’s cases, the odds very much are against Brian. The odds are that he died that day.

You may be right, but it really doesn't matter what we think or believe about what goes on inside a person's head, even if we can't wrap our own minds around it and it makes no sense to us. All that matters is that it makes sense to that individual. I don't see how we can project what we might do in similar situations onto someone else because we all handle situations, grief and other emotions differently. Add alcohol to that and all bets are off. We don't know what anyone is thinking at a particular moment. I'm in no way stating that taking off to get away is what happened, however, even if it seems like the most unlikely scenario because of the pain and grief it would cause his loved ones, guilt and shame over doing that very thing could well be one of the reasons he may be staying away, if that's what has happened. As difficult as anyone might find it to believe that he may have left of his own accord, for whatever reason, unless we're walking in that person's shoes, no one can judge or guess his state of mind at that moment. IMHO, it doesn't matter what we think, only what he was thinking, or not thinking. On a side note, I'm not someone who thinks that an adult's disappearance is due to suspicious circumstances unless there is a preponderance of evidence pointing in that direction (like known domestic abuse or a dangerous lifestyle). I think in this case, it's 50-50.

You may be right, but it really doesn't matter what we think or believe about what goes on inside a person's head, even if we can't wrap our own minds around it and it makes no sense to us. All that matters is that it makes sense to that individual. I don't see how we can project what we might do in similar situations onto someone else because we all handle situations, grief and other emotions differently. Add alcohol to that and all bets are off. We don't know what anyone is thinking at a particular moment. I'm in no way stating that taking off to get away is what happened, however, even if it seems like the most unlikely scenario because of the pain and grief it would cause his loved ones, guilt and shame over doing that very thing could well be one of the reasons he may be staying away, if that's what has happened. As difficult as anyone might find it to believe that he may have left of his own accord, for whatever reason, unless we're walking in that person's shoes, no one can judge or guess his state of mind at that moment. IMHO, it doesn't matter what we think, only what he was thinking, or not thinking. On a side note, I'm not someone who thinks that an adult's disappearance is due to suspicious circumstances unless there is a preponderance of evidence pointing in that direction (like known domestic abuse or a dangerous lifestyle). I think in this case, it's 50-50.

How many people who disappear are found safe or alive? Very few.

Nothing seems like an unlikely scenario, I'm just trying to think of this case considering what scenario is more likely than another one. There is a myriad of possibilities, but some are certainly more likely to generally happen than others. I don't know and can't know what happened to Brian. I'm just looking at the statistical data that involves folks who disappear. Statistics show that not many from those go missing disappear in a planned manner or intentionally, or because they wanted to. Also consider that... how many people have the resources to abandon their lives completely and start elsewhere with nothing?

There was a case a few years back where a woman had disappeared and nobody knew where she was. I think she was found 20 yrs later, and she had chosen to be homeless for a long time. She was known to have very significant mental health issues that were never addresses. So one day, she took off without letting anybody know that she's going away. All I'm saying , wanting to go away or disappear is not an overnight or short-term decision that one has to make. There are so many factors involved in all that. I can't think of one case where a healthy, competent, intelligent person has disappeared to just disappear. Personally, I don't see a reason why Brian would want to disappear. Again, I'm not saying that all the other theories are wrong, to me, they just don't make sense or don't resonate much to consider further.

How many people who disappear are found safe or alive? Very few.

Nothing seems like an unlikely scenario, I'm just trying to think of this case considering what scenario is more likely than another one. There is a myriad of possibilities, but some are certainly more likely to generally happen than others. I don't know and can't know what happened to Brian. I'm just looking at the statistical data that involves folks who disappear. Statistics show that not many from those go missing disappear in a planned manner or intentionally, or because they wanted to. Also consider that... how many people have the resources to abandon their lives completely and start elsewhere with nothing?

There was a case a few years back where a woman had disappeared and nobody knew where she was. I think she was found 20 yrs later, and she had chosen to be homeless for a long time. She was known to have very significant mental health issues that were never addresses. So one day, she took off without letting anybody know that she's going away. All I'm saying , wanting to go away or disappear is not an overnight or short-term decision that one has to make. There are so many factors involved in all that. I can't think of one case where a healthy, competent, intelligent person has disappeared to just disappear. Personally, I don't see a reason why Brian would want to disappear. Again, I'm not saying that all the other theories are wrong, to me, they just don't make sense or don't resonate much to consider further.
((RBBM))
Actually, according to an interview with Todd Matthews, he said:
MATTHEWS: You know, the missing touches everybody, I think. In 2012, we had 661,000 cases of missing persons; and that's just from that one year. Very quickly, 659,000 of those were canceled. So that means those persons either come back; in some cases, located as deceased persons, maybe never an unidentified person; or just a total misunderstanding. So at the end of 2012, of those 661,000 minus the canceled, we had 2,079 cases that remained at the end of the year as unresolved.
I take that to mean that the majority of folks who go missing are found in some capacity. He doesn't give a statistical break down as to how many are found safe and sound versus deceased, but I'm thinking the amount out of the 661k figure was very small. If you actually have statistics that say the majority of folks who disappear aren't found safe and sound, please feel free to share a link. I couldn't find any actual numbers when I went searching. That could be due to my inability formulate a search parameter that brought up the right search results. I kept getting things that weren't related to what I was looking for. Here's a link to Todd's interview where I clipped this quote.
http://www.npr.org/2013/05/07/182000622/majority-of-missing-persons-cases-are-resolved

Read an interview today with Randy Shaffer (Brian’s dad) years ago and thought of Brian and that he surely appeared like a guy who cared and loved his dad. I couldn’t help but deeply feel the unfathomable degree of pain and loss Mr. Shaffer went through after his son’s disappearance. It also made me think and perhaps confirmed in my heart that Brian didn’t deliberately disappear as some have mentioned.

If cadaver dogs were brought into the club and did not find anything, is it possible that Brian was somehow stashed in the ceiling, where dogs likely would not access?
Other than that, still wondering if somehow Brian got into the band equipment or truck and left the club ( willingly or not ) that way?
Why would his phone ping 6 months after he went missing?
speculation.
https://melmagazine.com/a-guy-walks-into-a-bar-53c784e7369b#.85fm2qc3h

Alexis called Brian’s cell phone every evening before bed. It always went to voicemail, the same sequence of sounds night after night: static, message, beep, silence. Then, on a sticky Friday in September, six months after her boyfriend evaporated, it connected. The ringback tone hummed once, twice, then three times. For Alexis, it sounded like a symphony. “It scared the crap out of me,” she wrote on her MySpace. “I had no idea what I would say if a person answered it.” Brian’s phone pinged a tower in Hilliard, a suburb 14 miles northwest of central Columbus. It could have been a glitch, it could have meant nothing. Still, it suggested the incredible: Brian was alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oma-of-9