OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes he could have been taken anywhere. My curiosity is peaked as he was not seen leaving. He would have no reason to avoid cameras that I can understand. Seems like that leaves him going out of taken out a backdoor. Someone knows where he is. I wonder if family has been rattling LEs chains.

Not likely. His close family is all deceased except for his brother. I know that his Brother still wears a bracelet with Brian's name on it but he doesn't get too involved in anything about him anymore because it's too emotionally hard on him

Not likely. His close family is all deceased except for his brother. I know that his Brother still wears a bracelet with Brian's name on it but he doesn't get too involved in anything about him anymore because it's too emotionally hard on him

So unbelievably sad. I assume you're an insider. We so appreciate your input and insight into this tragedy.
And, BTW, :welcome: to Websleuths. :seeya:

I read in a recent article that Alexis (gf) was calling his phone for months with it going straight to voicemail, then suddenly one day it rang. How could this happen, unless turned on? I did not read through all of these posts, so maybe it was mentioned already, but how could they not locate the phone once it pinged, and I just find it strange it rang. Phones just don't turn themselves back on.

I read in a recent article that Alexis (gf) was calling his phone for months with it going straight to voicemail, then suddenly one day it rang. How could this happen, unless turned on? I did not read through all of these posts, so maybe it was mentioned already, but how could they not locate the phone once it pinged, and I just find it strange it rang. Phones just don't turn themselves back on.

Things can happen. There was a guy calling me from a Pennsylvania area code. He thought he had dialed the right number but somehow, the phone number was readdressed to my phone for some reason. This has happened to me a few times with different phones

This case still seems open to any possibility. When any of us are tired, especially if we have been through some sort of trauma and add alcohol or other substances, we may make any number of unwise decisions that could be life-altering.

I *hope* this is a case of Brian just starting over in a new life somewhere else, but that seems unlikely. Brian wore a cancer bracelet and talked about doing great things because of his mom. He seems like a person who wanted to work out his grief by making a difference. Even if he opted to leave town for a little while, it seems like it would've required some detailed planning and a unique motive to stay gone permanently. This seems like the most unlikely (but most optimistic) answer.

Even so, I'll ask, is there any chance at all that Brian could've been the one to "break in" to his own apartment after the fact? Did his building have cameras? Any chance that he could've left a comment on his dad's funeral page from the Franklin library computer? If he had walked out of his grad program--perhaps that his parents worked hard to support?--and away from his fiance, and ultimately missed his father's death, perhaps he feels he would feel he's failed everyone too much to ever return. I'll repeat: I think it's much more likely he ran into a trouble as a result of being alone, under the influence, and wandering at night, but if the far-fetched were true, and he felt compelled to flee for some reason, I'd say this: If it were my brothers, and they left and missed everything for ten years, I would absolutely--without any hesitation--be overwhelmed with joy to see them if they reached out.

It's never too late.

Now, going back to the more realistic possibilities:

I would like to know more about his cell phone from the cell phone carrier. Did they keep Brian's line open and his phone on just in case? It seems like that's a possibility since Alexis said she got a message every night when she called. Did they eventually re-assign his number and, if so, when? What reasons would they suggest for that phone ringing six months later? Did she continue to get his voicemail after the night it rang? For how long?

Since I'm around Brian's age and have family in Columbus, this case sticks with me more than most. Since there's been no conclusive evidence, I figured it can't hurt to explore all possibilities (no matter how unlikely).

Again, I emphasize (like I did above) that I'm a rational individual. I fully understand it's most likely he had an unfavorable accident or encounter while moving around downtown alone at night, under the influence.

So this is--admittedly--wishful thinking, I know, but since Clint's lawyer seems to have suggested Brian may have left on his own accord, I'm trying to think of what possibilities that could've prompted Brian to leave.

1. Obviously, it's been mentioned that Brian may have been disaffected/depressed/traumatized by the stress of school and the loss of his mother. That this deep disillusionment could've motivated him to somehow flee a society that had disappointed him. While that's not unheard of, it sure doesn't happen often...especially this permanently. But here's an additional question: Is there any chance Brian would be discouraged from returning because he would face some sort of legal charges or overwhelming debt if he came back? Does he have monstrous student loans? Would leaving the program without notice--especially if funded by some sort of scholarship--be considered "stealing" from the donor in a sense?

2. I saw someone suggest he may have entered the Witness Protection Program back a ways in this thread. To me it seems really far-fetched that anything occurred that night which instantly qualified him for such a program. But is there any chance he witnessed something prior to that night and knew he would be entering the program for the safety of his family? Again, this seems highly unlikely given that he probably spent most of his time surrounded by medical professionals and not on the streets, but I'll mention it since I saw someone else optimistically suggest it.

3. I need some help thinking about this one. Could Brian have been being recruited into something? A health organization that works in the developing world? An elite branch of the military? Some sort of undercover operation? (I know this is starting to sound like a movie, but since it's been so long, I just wondered if anyone could think of any possibilities like this that are even in the realm of feasible.) This is a very smart, tall, strong educated man. It seems reasonable there could've been people trying to recruit him into elite fields or work. Is there any chance Clint knew of interactions like this? Of Brian considering certain unusual lines of work? Again, not by far the most likely explanation. The only reason I'm even able to entertain it--for a minute--is that Clint (if truthful) seems to think Brian chose to leave. Also, Brian did go out for "one last night with his friends" and unequivocally told his girlfriend he loved her in his parting message. He also had dinner with his dad that night and talked to his brother and invited him to hangout too. Was he trying to say a last goodbye to everyone? Or, did he know something was going to happen that night? Is that why even though Clint took Meredith, he didn't take Alexis?

Since I'm around Brian's age and have family in Columbus, this case sticks with me more than most. Since there's been no conclusive evidence, I figured it can't hurt to explore all possibilities (no matter how unlikely).

Again, I emphasize (like I did above) that I'm a rational individual. I fully understand it's most likely he had an unfavorable accident or encounter while moving around downtown alone at night, under the influence.

So this is--admittedly--wishful thinking, I know, but since Clint's lawyer seems to have suggested Brian may have left on his own accord, I'm trying to think of what possibilities that could've prompted Brian to leave.

1. Obviously, it's been mentioned that Brian may have been disaffected/depressed/traumatized by the stress of school and the loss of his mother. That this deep disillusionment could've motivated him to somehow flee a society that had disappointed him. While that's not unheard of, it sure doesn't happen often...especially this permanently. But here's an additional question: Is there any chance Brian would be discouraged from returning because he would face some sort of legal charges or overwhelming debt if he came back? Does he have monstrous student loans? Would leaving the program without notice--especially if funded by some sort of scholarship--be considered "stealing" from the donor in a sense?

2. I saw someone suggest he may have entered the Witness Protection Program back a ways in this thread. To me it seems really far-fetched that anything occurred that night which instantly qualified him for such a program. But is there any chance he witnessed something prior to that night and knew he would be entering the program for the safety of his family? Again, this seems highly unlikely given that he probably spent most of his time surrounded by medical professionals and not on the streets, but I'll mention it since I saw someone else optimistically suggest it.

3. I need some help thinking about this one. Could Brian have been being recruited into something? A health organization that works in the developing world? An elite branch of the military? Some sort of undercover operation? (I know this is starting to sound like a movie, but since it's been so long, I just wondered if anyone could think of any possibilities like this that are even in the realm of feasible.) This is a very smart, tall, strong educated man. It seems reasonable there could've been people trying to recruit him into elite fields or work. Is there any chance Clint knew of interactions like this? Of Brian considering certain unusual lines of work? Again, not by far the most likely explanation. The only reason I'm even able to entertain it--for a minute--is that Clint (if truthful) seems to think Brian chose to leave. Also, Brian did go out for "one last night with his friends" and unequivocally told his girlfriend he loved her in his parting message. He also had dinner with his dad that night and talked to his brother and invited him to hangout too. Was he trying to say a last goodbye to everyone? Or, did he know something was going to happen that night? Is that why even though Clint took Meredith, he didn't take Alexis?

All interesting possibilities, I also want to add to it the possibility there was some drug activity involved and unintentional overdose / interaction with alcohol, with an unexpected and bad outcome. With subsequent cover up.

Or, intentional drugging him for nefarious purposes. I just don't nderstand why his "friend" Clint appears to show little concern and refused a polygraph. What was he nervous about, what does he have to hide.

Another thing Ive thought of, could Brian have been living a double life, I mean I doubt it, but it's not unheard of. And felt he couldn't face his family, decided he didn't want to marry Alexis, etc. Even though it was apparently proven otherwise, I also have wondered if that really was him that sent the message to his father. just some thoughts. JMO

Early on in the investigation, in the first year or two, there were rumors that Clint was gay and was in love with Brian. Some speculated that they could've had a relationship-at least briefly. Others thought that it was one-sided. Who knows what the truth is, but there are some indications that there was a secret life of some sort. Or, at least secretive activities that could have led to trouble of some sort... all of this folds into the theory involving drugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Early on in the investigation, in the first year or two, there were rumors that Clint was gay and was in love with Brian. Some speculated that they could've had a relationship-at least briefly. Others thought that it was one-sided. Who knows what the truth is, but there are some indications that there was a secret life of some sort. Or, at least secretive activities that could have led to trouble of some sort... all of this folds into the theory involving drugs.

Although I wondered about that possibility, due to some other disappearances that made the news in that area, I hadn't heard that stated outright. I have read that Brian was going to tell Clint about how his relationship with Alexis was progressing though. And I wasn't sure why that was even repeated, but that would make more sense if that context was true.

It might also give some additional incentive to disappear.

I've also read here that Clint asked for immunity if he were to take a polygraph. What reasons have been speculated about why he would need to seek immunity?

Obviously if he was directly involved in harming Brian.

Also if he were involved in drug use with Brian.

Anything else come up over the years?

I didn't know this, but is what I had in mind regarding the possibility of living a double life. The comment he made to Alexa about telling the guys about her is what stood out to me as off. One would assume if they were friends they would already be full aware of Brian and Alexa's romantic relationship. It was as if he was breaking the news to them and he had concerns about it. Or maybe not "them" but just Clint. Maybe Brian wasn't sure himself for a while.... which way he wanted to go.

Well whether he's gay or not, he's married now to a woman. I did a little stalking and found his wife on Facebook. They currently live in Texas

A part of me wants to agree with you about the whole "one last night with everyone" thing. I don't know how common it was for Brian and his brother to hang out, but I thought I remember hearing in an interview with Randy Shaffer that they weren't EXTREMELY close, and even less so when their mother died. That's why it seemed odd that he invited his brother out that night, but could just be coincidence. I also do find it funny how he happened to disappear the weekend that Alexis went out of town. Perhaps he knew that she would be the only one that would notice right away that he went missing (perhaps Saturday morning) so he left while she was gone, so she didn't discover his absence until later Sunday when she got back. This gave Brian a full day to leave. Of course, I'm only entertaining the idea, just as you are.

I've read through many pages of posts on other forums now and just don't know what to think.

The most likely scenario still seems to be that he had an accident or was harmed...perhaps as a result of being alone, at night, and possibly under the influence.

But one of the main police officers who investigated Brian's case and, perhaps, Clint (via his lawyer) both seemed to believe he was still alive. His girlfriend at the time and brother also seemed to hold out belief that he was or at least could be alive for some time, although their opinion seemed to waiver over time. If all of these people who know him and know the case best saw a voluntary disappearance as plausible, there must be some reasons to see it that way.

But disappearing voluntarily? Does it add up? If someone was trying to stealthily slip away from their life, it doesn't seem like they'd do it on a night where they'd been drinking or in the city full of witnesses and cameras. So I guess he could've either been unusually calculated and plotted the whole thing or he had some sort of emotional or psychological breakdown and fled impulsively, without planning, but then just decided to stay away permanently. The only other explanation--which seems like just ridiculous odds--could be he had some sort of psychological break down, such as dissociative fugue (where trauma can make you temporarily forget your identity and wander). But if that were the case, it still wouldn't explain how he made it out of the bar undetected...or how someone still didn't recognize him given how publicized his picture was.

Some notes on how he got out of the building: The police officer who worked on the investigation said they pored over the surveillance video and accounted for every single person. They would identify a person coming in and then find where they left in the footage later. They accounted for everyone, but him. They also brought cadaver dogs to the building. It turned up nothing. One lady I read said years later, the way surveillance at the location worked, if the security guards focused the camera in on one person to investigate something, it might temporarily lose other people's movements. So did he somehow get hurt in the construction site, did he leave normally and just unintentionally evade the cameras, did he use the back employee exit, or was he forced/carried out...

It's hard to imagine how this could be solved after so many years short of someone--possibly Clint or even Brian--answering the public's pleas for answers. Can anyone address whether some statutes of limitation could've expired, which might make it easier for someone involved to be more open now? Is there someone out there who could prove they know the answers without providing their identity and send an anonymous letter? This case circles and circles without answers.

So if the police accounted for every person on the tape except for him, then that means (provided he was taken/lured out by another person) that there is another person that either completely evaded the cameras, or a person that walked in normally on camera, took Brian outside via back exit/construction site and then came back and left normally on camera again. Maybe someone who entered through a back door and exited there as well (thus avoiding being seen on camera at all)? Staff perhaps? I just don't know how easy it would be to cover up a crime IN the bar itself, especially with it being a crowded Friday night.
Also I find it strange how even when the reward money got bumped to $100,000 nobody came forward with anything. Surely if there was a small group who was in on any nefarious plan, at least one of them would turn on the others and try to get that money. I am led to believe that either nobody truly knows anything (which would be the case if he disappeared willingly) or maybe everyone involved is truly scared for their lives if they talk to police.

I agree that it must be a small and guilty group (maybe one person) to stay quiet this long. One thing I read in the articles is that the girl who was with Clint did take and pass a polygraph. And also, Clint called her to join them after they were already out. She didn't arrive with them initially.

One thing that troubles me whenever I read it is that Alexis said Brian told her this was a good night to tell the guys about her. But then, as far as we know, he only hung out with one guy (though he had invited his brother who had other plans). Were there other guys he was close to who he saw that night? Or was the main issue telling Clint because of any possible stickiness with him? And why wouldn't Clint already know about how serious things were with Alexis?

BessDrew, I agree with you that he should have already known how serious he was about Alexis. If you ever see Brian's Facebook pictures with her, he always says very sweet and kind things about her. In fact, some of his pictures even show Clint and Alexis partying with Brian for New Years Eve 2005, so they've already hung out together as well. Other pics show Brian and Clint had gone to NYC together for a trip, along with 2 other guys, so I imagine that Clint and Brian WERE pretty close to actually go somewhere together. I don't know the other guys' names, but I wonder if they knew anything about a conflict between Brian and Clint.

btw, if anyone wants to look at Brian's facebook pictures, the link is: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=12446335

BessDrew, I agree with you that he should have already known how serious he was about Alexis. If you ever see Brian's Facebook pictures with her, he always says very sweet and kind things about her. In fact, some of his pictures even show Clint and Alexis partying with Brian for New Years Eve 2005, so they've already hung out together as well. Other pics show Brian and Clint had gone to NYC together for a trip, along with 2 other guys, so I imagine that Clint and Brian WERE pretty close to actually go somewhere together. I don't know the other guys' names, but I wonder if they knew anything about a conflict between Brian and Clint.

btw, if anyone wants to look at Brian's facebook pictures, the link is: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=12446335

Yep. That's what I was thinking too. So what are the explanations for this?

1. Brian was hiding something from Alexis. He was involved in either a co-dependent relationship or a "business" operation with Clint and his marriage plans would have threatened their future. If Brian WAS, say, leaving a business (something illegal), perhaps Clint (and others?) saw him as a loose end that might not protect his secrets five years down the road.

2. Brian was hiding something from Clint. He had, for some reason, led Clint to believe his relationship with Alexis was not that serious or was some sort of cover...now he was telling Clint that things had changed and he was going to deepen his commitment to Alexis.

3. Clint already knew about Alexis, but Brian used the "I'm telling the guys about you" excuse to keep Alexis from coming because either a. He just didn't want her there on guys night or b. He knew something else was going down and didn't want her to be at risk or know about it. This seems like a possibility because he told Alexis he was telling "the guys," but only one guy was actually there. Was there a group of guys he was in business with that included Clint? At one point, people did speculate two guys followed him on the escalator in the footage.

For those who have been following this a while, is there evidence to support or disprove any of these 3 explanations? Any other explanations come to mind?

Just a quick point on #3- Alexis was out of town visiting her parents in Toledo that weekend, so Brian didn't have to tell her anything to keep her away. This is why I also suspect that maybe they did something else besides just drinking, maybe drugs. Perhaps Brian felt that with his gf away it was "party time" and he'd be able to let loose for a night. This could have possibly led to an overdose and subsequent cover up by Clint or others. There's also the possibility that Clint led Brian to believe that it was "party time" but he was actually setting him up to be attacked/killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aqfina2000