OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean that Brian's friends waited nine minutes for him and than left? Thank you for this information about the time! From where did this originate? I have always wondered how long they looked for Brian? To me, that does not seem like a long time.

Satch

Yes it was nine minutes. They started looking for him at about 0150. By 0200, they stopped looking as they figured he probably left w/o letting them know as the bar was closing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just a thought about disguises- wondered if Brian had ever purchased one of those realistic type Halloween masks or nose/mustache thingys with the idea of pulling off an April Fool's joke?

Just a thought about disguises- wondered if Brian had ever purchased one of those realistic type Halloween masks or nose/mustache thingys with the idea of pulling off an April Fool's joke?
I think a person wearing that seen on CCTV would raise an alarm.

There were no sightings (unverified or otherwise) of Brian since he disappeared, there were two known exits that should've picked him up on the surveilliance cameras and neither did. It's entirely possible that he managed to slip out of another side-exit, one of the cameras missed him, etc. but I still believe that he never actually left the bar. Man goes missing in a bar, no one sees him leave, and there was extensive construction work going on at the time. As for why the sniffer dogs didn't pick him up, I don't know. They aren't foolproof, and he may have already been buried over, or they didn't check the whole of the construction site. For me, that's the most logical explanation based on the evidence we have.

There were no sightings (unverified or otherwise) of Brian since he disappeared, there were two known exits that should've picked him up on the surveilliance cameras and neither did. It's entirely possible that he managed to slip out of another side-exit, one of the cameras missed him, etc. but I still believe that he never actually left the bar. Man goes missing in a bar, no one sees him leave, and there was extensive construction work going on at the time. As for why the sniffer dogs didn't pick him up, I don't know. They aren't foolproof, and he may have already been buried over, or they didn't check the whole of the construction site. For me, that's the most logical explanation based on the evidence we have.
I wish we knew how big the construction area really was. In a two story building, I just can't imagine that they wouldn't be able to find a 6'2 body. It is the most likely scenario given the facts. The sad thing is that if this is the case, then WHERE is only half the answer. We'll never know WHY he went out that way instead of taking the normal exit, or WHY he didn't wait for Clint and Meredith before attempting to leave. This is why I feel that Clint knows something he isn't telling, like maybe why Brian was trying to use that exit that night. I just feel like there has to be a little bit more to it than 'man who doesn't appear that drunk on cam randomly decides to take construction exit dies and gets constructed over'.

I wish we knew how big the construction area really was. In a two story building, I just can't imagine that they wouldn't be able to find a 6'2 body. It is the most likely scenario given the facts. The sad thing is that if this is the case, then WHERE is only half the answer. We'll never know WHY he went out that way instead of taking the normal exit, or WHY he didn't wait for Clint and Meredith before attempting to leave. This is why I feel that Clint knows something he isn't telling, like maybe why Brian was trying to use that exit that night. I just feel like there has to be a little bit more to it than 'man who doesn't appear that drunk on cam randomly decides to take construction exit dies and gets constructed over'.

Exactly Matt,

There's also no evidence suggestion that Brian was forced to leave. No one branded a knife, gun, or other weapon and forced Brian to go with him. At least not when Brian was in the bar. Brian made a deliberate decision to leave without waiting for Clint or Meredith. Now, whether he met with foul play after leaving the bar is unknown or if this was an accidental death due to falling or a booze overdose is also not known.

My view is I don't believe Brian was killed inside the bar, if he was killed at all. There's at least two things that are "Off" about this case, ( at least: )

1.) The group only looking for Brian for nine minutes before leaving. Who does that if someone goes missing? If this was my friend I would be going all around the bar, the neighborhoods and towns looking for him. I would get involved in helping to find Brian. Nine minutes is nothing compared to the lifetime of grief that Brian's brother Derrick and his father Randy suffered. I sense a little too much apathy here from Brian's group that night.

2.) Clint saying, "Oh, Brian was known for wandering away from us. He did that a lot." Maybe that is true. These are responsible adults, not teens, or little kids who need to be watched. Maybe this group really did not care for Brian all that much. Perhaps he was a college acquaintance to them, and nothing more. There are times when college guys don't like to get involved with peers. Maybe work and family was a top priority, over peers.

I had a college acquaintance who was VERY family oriented. But as far as knowing people or meeting people, everything to him was "In one ear, and out the other." He even had trouble remembering my name for almost two weeks after I met him! You would ask him to do something in class if it was like a group project or something, and he'd be very polite and willing to do it. A few days later, you would remind him about the project, and he would act like you never told him about it.

But if it was a birthday party or get together for a family member, or a relative was coming to visit, he would be counting the days to the event. I could never really understand why his feelings were so polarized between what family meant to him, and how insignificant college friends meant to him. We never became close because of that. I wanted more out of him "empathy wise/" because I am a very sensitive and caring guy.

I bring up this story, offering the perspective that there are guys out there who just "don't care" about peers, outside of being in the moment with them. Once they have done their get-together it's "out of sight and out of mind." Note that this does not make them or my college acquaintance a bad person. It just shows that for some people, when the person is gone, they move on to the next thing in their lives.

The one non-family person who does care in my eyes is Alexis! I have a feeling that she would be willing to talk about Brian and may have a stronger sensitivity that remains; After all, she was his fiancee! What could help in this case is an empathetic, sensitive person, who knew Brian well, and may be willing to come here, and is willing to talk.

Satch

Absolutely. You know that someone has no idea what they're talking about when they attribute lack of a polygraph to some guilt. You have no idea how this process works at all.

And yet the sergeant working on the case admitted that it would've been possible for someone to leave via the construction site.

Can you cite that? From what I've read they say it was possible but not probable and that he would have still been spotted on camera from another bar in any direction he went

I know I'm stating the obvious and I'm sure it's been covered but how do we know Brian wasn't killed inside the bar, stuffed in a garbage can and tossed in the dumpster and is now in a landfill?

It has been stated that the dogs (I think cadaver) indicated but nothing was found. If they were cadaver and did indicate he could have been killed Friday/Saturday and they had gotten him out by Monday

It has been stated that the dogs (I think cadaver) indicated but nothing was found. If they were cadaver and did indicate he could have been killed Friday/Saturday and they had gotten him out by Monday

Do you know where you read this or have a link? I just don't remember it. TIA

Do you know where you read this or have a link? I just don't remember it. TIA

Absolutely, I was very surprised to read it myself. I think it's in this sub but I found it in my web history: page 22 right hand side. http://www.magcloud.com//900141?__r=563315&s=w

I was under the impression that they never hit so I'm not sure what to make of it. I've just reviewed everything I can find for this case online and still don't know what to make of it.

The FBI has Brian's case listed in their Violent Criminal Apprehension Program (VICAP). He is one of only 56 persons listed under the VICAP category of "Missing Persons". The other two VICAP categories are "Homicides and Sexual Assaults" and "Unidentified Persons".
https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/vicap/missing-persons/brian-shaffer
dump_1.gif

The FBI has Brian's case listed in their Violent Criminal Apprehension Program (VICAP). He is one of only 56 persons listed under the VICAP category of "Missing Persons". The other two VICAP categories are "Homicides and Sexual Assaults" and "Unidentified Persons".
dump_1.gif
Interesting, could it be that BS might have a reason to go into hiding and stay that way, if indeed that is what happened?
speculation, imo.

I mean it makes sense that he would be under the missing persons category. He can't be labeled as a homicide victim because no body= no evidence. I assume unidentified refers to bodies that have been found but have no ID. If Brian did have reason to go away, why choose that night? That's what a big part of that "willful disappearance" theory comes down to: why would he choose a night of going out in public and drinking rather than just slip out of his house any other time unnoticed.

Another thing I haven't seen answered before (or possibly even mentioned?) is whether or not Brian paid his tab that night before he disappeared. Clint said in an interview that they opened tabs at each bar they went to that night, so I assume he must have had a tab at the Ugly Tuna. I wonder if he paid/closed it before he left. Is it possible that he might have been ducking the tab at the end of the night and maybe that's why he went out a backway? Provided he did make it out of the bar and didn't die in the construction site, then I think it's safe to say he took either the construction way or staff exit. The bigger question is why he did and what happened next.

dump_1.gif

Question,

What makes Brian a "Violent Criminal" according to the classification list category above? This makes no sense.

Satch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member