OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the most parsimonious explanation, in my opinion.

Brian said that he was going back to talk to the band. The band have no recollection of speaking to Brian that night. Were they mistaken or were they lying? Perhaps this was just an excuse to go back into the bar. If Brian had an ulterior motive for going back, what was it? Was he trying to hook up with someone behind his gf's back, or was he planning to disappear out of the side-exit? According to the police, everyone who left the bar was accounted for, except for Brian of course. This rules out the more imaginative theories, like Brian was wearing a disguise.

I think Clint is a red herring. Lawyering up in a missing persons investigation is not in and of itself suspicious. Polygraphs are pseudoscience and Clint may have had other reasons for refusing to take one. For example, if it came out he had taken drugs that night it might be damaging to his career. There was only the potential for the polygraph to incriminate him. What are people supposing, anyway? That Clint murdered his buddy in the bar in cold blood, disposed of the body somewhere no one could find it, and then left like nothing ever happened? What basis is there for suspecting Clint other than the refused polygraph?

My problem with the planned disappearance is that it's too perfect. Brian disappears out of the building, he leaves no trace of his movements whatsoever and vanishes into thin air. If Brian was really planning to runaway, you'd think he would've taken care of loose ends, waited until the morning and then driven off into the sunset. The fact he didn't return for his car or touch any of his money leads me to discredit this theory. He just upped and vanished while on a night out? Not likely. When young men (and women) disappear under these circumstances it's usually because of alcohol or drugs involved. Some theorize that Brian accidentally drowned in a nearby river. From Google Maps, the nearest river is approximately a 20 minute walk away, perhaps a little longer for someone under the influence. For me, the lack of credible sightings and security footage supports the theory that Brian never actually left the building.

You may be onto something. If Brian was killed in the bar, whoever did it (or their accomplice) could put his body somewhere and then dispose of him later... They could put him in a large container, trashcan or something else and then could have loaded a truck waiting for them outside and just take off... BAM! No evidence of Brian anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is the most parsimonious explanation, in my opinion.

Brian said that he was going back to talk to the band. The band have no recollection of speaking to Brian that night. Were they mistaken or were they lying? Perhaps this was just an excuse to go back into the bar. If Brian had an ulterior motive for going back, what was it? Was he trying to hook up with someone behind his gf's back, or was he planning to disappear out of the side-exit? According to the police, everyone who left the bar was accounted for, except for Brian of course. This rules out the more imaginative theories, like Brian was wearing a disguise.

I think Clint is a red herring. Lawyering up in a missing persons investigation is not in and of itself suspicious. Polygraphs are pseudoscience and Clint may have had other reasons for refusing to take one. For example, if it came out he had taken drugs that night it might be damaging to his career. There was only the potential for the polygraph to incriminate him. What are people supposing, anyway? That Clint murdered his buddy in the bar in cold blood, disposed of the body somewhere no one could find it, and then left like nothing ever happened? What basis is there for suspecting Clint other than the refused polygraph?

My problem with the planned disappearance is that it's too perfect. Brian disappears out of the building, he leaves no trace of his movements whatsoever and vanishes into thin air. If Brian was really planning to runaway, you'd think he would've taken care of loose ends, waited until the morning and then driven off into the sunset. The fact he didn't return for his car or touch any of his money leads me to discredit this theory. He just upped and vanished while on a night out? Not likely. When young men (and women) disappear under these circumstances it's usually because of alcohol or drugs involved. Some theorize that Brian accidentally drowned in a nearby river. From Google Maps, the nearest river is approximately a 20 minute walk away, perhaps a little longer for someone under the influence. For me, the lack of credible sightings and security footage supports the theory that Brian never actually left the building.

I remember reading that the river had been drained so if he'd ended up there he would have been found. I don't have a link at the moment but maybe I'll have a chance to find it later. Does anyone else remember this? Tia

Wondering if anyone checked on a completely different day, to see if the same people that enter the club, are also seen/recorded leaving it?
Also, did the construction workers have a " port a potty"?
speculation,imo.
http://myfox28columbus.com/news/local/brian-shaffer-may-have-never-left-bar-10-years-ago
[h=1]Brian Shaffer may have never left bar 10 years ago[/h]
by WSYX/WTTE
Wednesday, November 9th 2016
b975394d-2b42-4ede-b5a0-eb5b4a3ca0fc-large16x9_BrianShaffer.jpg

Brian Shaffer (Credit: Shaffer family)
The ensuing police investigation showed him enter the establishment, but he was never seen leaving either by that camera or another one by emergency exit. Police accounted for everyone else coming and going, but him. The possibility remains he escaped through an unwatched freight elevator, but security cameras from nearby bars would've likely spotted him.
Shaffer's girlfriend called every night after his disappearance only for it to go straight to voicemail. But on a random day six months later, it rang and pinged a tower in Hilliard.

It's one of the few things that maintains his family's hope for his discovery and/or return.

Something about this case sounds off. I wonder if LE knows more than is known to the public. It is very weird to not investigate the vicinity of the bar and the available surveillance days after his disappearance. I am sure there was large trash cans, kitchen containers and other big equipment that could accommodate a human body. I wonder if they ever saw anything suspicious. I still don't believe that nobody saw Brian or where he went shortly before 2 am. Somebody knows something and they aren't talking. If his disappearance was truly mysterious, we would have heard something from someone by now. If no one is coming forward... they are either afraid of the aftermath or they are indirectly involved. I don't really know what to think. It's impossible to just disappear.

Something about this case sounds off. I wonder if LE knows more than is known to the public. It is very weird to not investigate the vicinity of the bar and the available surveillance days after his disappearance. I am sure there was large trash cans, kitchen containers and other big equipment that could accommodate a human body. I wonder if they ever saw anything suspicious. I still don't believe that nobody saw Brian or where he went shortly before 2 am. Somebody knows something and they aren't talking. If his disappearance was truly mysterious, we would have heard something from someone by now. If no one is coming forward... they are either afraid of the aftermath or they are indirectly involved. I don't really know what to think. It's impossible to just disappear.

I agree 100%

Someone knows the whole story, and is not talking.

Satch

Correct me if you meant something else, but didn't they in fact investigate shortly after his disappearance? Cops were said to have searched the bar and area around and found no traces of blood. I believe they started the search through the bar area on Monday, so about 2 days after he vanished. If someone at the bar was involved, that would still give them ample time to clean up and get rid of evidence. All they would have to do is keep him hidden in the large container, take it out to a car and bury him in the countryside.

ETA: As I've said countless times before, I think the "why"s are just as important as the "hows" in this case. If someone at the bar wanted to kill Brian..why? If Brian did purposely go through the construction exit...why? If Brian lied about going to talk to the band....why?

LE usually, though not always, knows more than the public. And I'd bet in this case, like the vast majority of them, the answer is more simplistic than not...i.e. no disguise...no plans of starting another life...no alcohol or drug-related amnesia, but more likely that he is, in fact, dead. (and I hope I'm wrong)

He might've spouted off against the wrong person, was killed (most likely unintentionally because statistically who would plan a "hit" in/around a crowded bar?), and disposed of. As for Clint, he may know exactly what happened and who was involved but be in fear for himself and therefore not talking. In which case, assuming most of us have not been in that position, hard to judge.

And....just to cover the wildly unlikely, Clint or unknown person/s and Brian argue on patio or back entrance and Brian goes over the edge and hits the pavement. Anddddd then proceeds to go unnoticed until such time he is removed. I think it helps to flesh out the rule-outs in order to zero in on the possibilities...

Correct me if you meant something else, but didn't they in fact investigate shortly after his disappearance? Cops were said to have searched the bar and area around and found no traces of blood. I believe they started the search through the bar area on Monday, so about 2 days after he vanished. If someone at the bar was involved, that would still give them ample time to clean up and get rid of evidence. All they would have to do is keep him hidden in the large container, take it out to a car and bury him in the countryside.

ETA: As I've said countless times before, I think the "why"s are just as important. as the "hows" in this case. If someone at the bar wanted to kill Brian..why? If Brian did purposely go through the construction exit...why? If Brian lied about going to talk to the band....why?

You are right. They did investigate. But as you mention, there were some time gaps in the investigation and would give one more than enough time for a cover up. What I'm saying is that did they ever look at other activity other than people coming and going out of bar that night? Did they monitor the surveillance videos afterwards or they stopped there? If they did not, that would be a major gap in the investigation. Also, no traces of blood doesn't mean anything. He could have had closed injuries. If someone just knocked him unconscious and beat him, that wouldn't necessarily produce a bloody scene. Sorry, don't mean to be overly descriptive. Just trying to think.

Yes, the reasons are important. But let's don't forget that we didn't know Brian personally and do not know what he could have been up to that night. He might have just pissed off somebody. I really don't think the two girls he was talking to shortly before his disappearance were random, they may even be accomplices. I am stunned that they were so quickly let go of as suspects or simply as someone who may be able to share more info. Clint and Meredith might know more about him and what happened that night but want to stay out of any involvement. The reasons are important in this case but we can't know them since we didn't know Brian. I know there have been lots of speculations but they are pretty broad, in my opinion. Also, we don't know if Brian said that he wanted to talk to the band. That's what Clint says and we don't have the other side of the story. That may be just a nice way for Clint to share to fill the time gaps and move himself farther away from this case.

Where are we getting that he went back to talk to the band? If that is a direct quote from Clint, then I read it as he went back to talk to the band, he went back to score some drugs or he went back to meet with a woman. None of which would get him killed without some crazy circumstances....

Where are we getting that he went back to talk to the band? If that is a direct quote from Clint, then I read it as he went back to talk to the band, he went back to score some drugs or he went back to meet with a woman. None of which would get him killed without some crazy circumstances....

Yes. Clint said that. We don't know what he was involved in so it's not possible to tell whether the circumstances were crazy or not.

I still strongly support the theory that Clint knows something. He has distanced himself completely from this. H has been resistant, lawyer-up very fast, refused to talk and I do believe he was ever involved in search efforts. Also, this fact only significantly discredits him and reduces his credibility as a potential witness. A man whose friend just disappeared and he just shuts down is not reliable, and I do not take his word as accurate as there is nothing to support his credibility. His actions have only supported the fact of him being unreliable.

Something out of the ordinary would dictate a murder. Unless it was a drunken brawl...which would have attracted if not the security cameras than at least some witnesses. A well placed punch could end in death with no blood...unusual yup, but possible, yup. We need parameters on the security cameras.....every ten-second still shots? Not reliable....then he left the bar.

I still strongly support the theory that Clint knows something. He has distanced himself completely from this. H has been resistant, lawyer-up very fast, refused to talk and I do believe he was ever involved in search efforts. Also, this fact only significantly discredits him and reduces his credibility as a potential witness. A man whose friend just disappeared and he just shuts down is not reliable, and I do not take his word as accurate as there is nothing to support his credibility. His actions have only supported the fact of him being unreliable.

Absolutely right.

Satch

Were Clint & Meredith videotaped leaving the bar before the footage of Brian with the two girls, or after? If it's the former, that means that Brian was alive and well when Clint vacated the area.

I think Clint might something to hide but I don't necessarily believe it ties into Brian's disappearance.

True Crime Garage agree with my hypothesis. According to them they've reached out to people with radar equipment to scan the building for any anomalies but so far they've been left hanging.

Were Clint & Meredith videotaped leaving the bar before the footage of Brian with the two girls, or after? If it's the former, that means that Brian was alive and well when Clint vacated the area.

I think Clint might something to hide but I don't necessarily believe it ties into Brian's disappearance.

True Crime Garage agree with my hypothesis. According to them they've reached out to people with radar equipment to scan the building for any anomalies but so far they've been left hanging.

Thank you for sharing the above! More thoughts and questions:

1.) We need to know the number of cameras in the bar, and how long of them scanned each area of the bar, and how many areas was each camera covering? What areas were the cameras known to NOT cover. I assume the employee only exit did not have a camera.

2.) What time was it when the band finished playing and the lights came back on? This is the time interval with Clint, Meredith, and Brian together to the time that Brian vanished.

3.) Anything known that Brian said that evening in the bar, or transporting from bar to bar to anyone, that might give the slightest indication of where he might have gone?

4.) I think that the two girls with whom Brian was talking to on the camera, could bring some important clues and answers to this mystery. This was the last known communication that Brian had with anybody of which we know. Would love audio of that conversation!

5.) I believe trhat asked this before, but don't recall if this was answered. How long is/are the known camera clips with Brian there. Are they still shots or moving images?

Satch

Thank you for sharing the above! More thoughts and questions:

1.) We need to know the number of cameras in the bar, and how long of them scanned each area of the bar, and how many areas was each camera covering? What areas were the cameras known to NOT cover. I assume the employee only exit did not have a camera.

2.) What time was it when the band finished playing and the lights came back on? This is the time interval with Clint, Meredith, and Brian together to the time that Brian vanished.

3.) Anything known that Brian said that evening in the bar, or transporting from bar to bar to anyone, that might give the slightest indication of where he might have gone?

4.) I think that the two girls with whom Brian was talking to on the camera, could bring some important clues and answers to this mystery. This was the last known communication that Brian had with anybody of which we know. Would love audio of that conversation!

5.) I believe trhat asked this before, but don't recall if this was answered. How long is/are the known camera clips with Brian there. Are they still shots or moving images?

Satch

Those are some absolutely valid and relevant questions. Unfortunately, there are way too many unanswered questions about this case. How did Brian manage to disappear in a 10 min window (last he was seen on camera talking to the girls and when Clint and Meredith supposedly started looking for him around 2 am)? It is impossible to have entered the bar after talking to the girls and no one admits seeing him or where he went? That just sounds impossible given the very narrow time interval. I don't know if this case is considered a cold case or LE have some leads or information, but many of the details of Brian's disappearance just don't add up. There are only a few accurate timelines, the rest is just here-say and pure speculation. Morever, we have all the reasons not to trust Clint, so he could have easily added certain details or facts about that night to misconstrue or intentionally conceal the reality.

If he had something to hide that didn't tie to Brian's disappearance, what would be his motive not to share it? If he truly wasn't involved or didn't know anything, why lawyer-up, distance yourself and refuse to be of any help? Those are some very strange things to do after your friend vanishes and only raises serious concerns and red flags.

Satch
. I don't know if the girls necessarily have anything to do with his disappearance. I too would love to know what the conversation was about, but I wouldn't put guilt on them just because they happened to be the last ones he spoke to before walking off. It could have been anyone really, he just happened to decide to speak to them. I'm curious if maybe he was flirting with them, and LE didn't release that info in order to spare Alexis' feelings. Judging by the video footage, it seems Brian walks off alone after talking to them and the two of them just stay in the foyer area. This leads me to believe they probably gave him some kind of brush off or that he was simply ready to move on in conversation with someone else since they did not follow him.

. I don't know if the girls necessarily have anything to do with his disappearance. I too would love to know what the conversation was about, but I wouldn't put guilt on them just because they happened to be the last ones he spoke to before walking off. It could have been anyone really, he just happened to decide to speak to them. I'm curious if maybe he was flirting with them, and LE didn't release that info in order to spare Alexis' feelings. Judging by the video footage, it seems Brian walks off alone after talking to them and the two of them just stay in the foyer area. This leads me to believe they probably gave him some kind of brush off or that he was simply ready to move on in conversation with someone else since they did not follow him.

The saddest and most puzzling element of this case is how Brian could be gone in such a short period of time, with no evidence of where he went. Pondering this, let's examine:

1.) If there was a struggle, robbery, mugging, inside or outside of the bar, there would be screaming, there would be chaos, somebody would have seen something.
2.) No evidence of Brian's cash or credit card being used. If he was robbed, the perpetrators would have taken those things.
3.)The cameras account for every single person coming out of the bar, but Brian. That is so perplexing!
4.) If Brian is dead, you would think that his body would have turned up after now eleven years!
5.) If Brian is alive, how did he get out of town so quickly without being seen?

Satch

True, but the time window of his disappearance is so narrow that the exchange with the two girls seen on the camera increases in its significance everything else considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot