OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

A copy & paste of a youtube comment :

Aerophlix Media 1 year ago
These guys are in contact with Derek now we marched with him Sunday as well www.comebackpodcast.com
They also have new information that the media was completely wrong on! currently searching for security video that police wont release where the security team says shows him by a wendys after the last time seen check out their podcast!

I did not listen to this podcast but, apparently, the police either have suppressed video footage showing Brian by a Wendys after the last time he was officially seen or that they say the police has this footage. Any truth to this? Is there such footage in existence? If not, if it is a lie, then why does this lie exist? And who created this lie? For what reason? If the footage exists, why suppress it? To hide something? If so, for what reason?

In any case, this is what helped me form my theory. But I've been told that the "seen by the Wendy's" is speculation. So Hurst speculated? So why is it said that this footage exists? Either it does or it doesn't. You can't speculate on the existence of footage. Either it exists or it doesn't. And what was the basis for this speculation? An anonymous tip?

Last edited:
After reading about theories ranging from walking away from his life to alien abduction, here is my theory. I have not read all 94 pages in this thread so please forgive me if I am writing about something that has already been written about before. Ok, here goes.

I think Brian's disappearance is a hookup gone horribly wrong. It's been said recently on this thread that Brian was struggling with his sexuality. Hurst will not give any specifics but did say that there was information made available to him to support this.

Brian decides to take a few tentative steps in exploring this and decides to meet someone (a guy). Also known, in vulgar terms, as a hookup. Since he is still in the struggling stages, he would most certainly want to do this discreetly. This can explain why he ditched his friends and snuck out by a different exit.

He makes it out of the Ugly Tuna and past the Wendy's. It's been said that dogs tracked his scent past Wendy's but lost it after that. This very likely means he got into a car. His hookup. Problem his, he hooked up with the wrong guy. He was murdered and his body disposed of. Where? Only the killer knows.

Killers often keep souvenirs of a murder. That would explain the phone-pinging incident of September 2006. The killer still had it in his possession. The fact that it pinged means that the phone still physically existed, it was not destroyed/dead, and that it was still in a workable condition. Randy Shaffer once said that he kept paying for Brian's phone just in case Brian would call one day. The phone pinged 14 miles from where Brian disappeared. That's where the killer was. Or he came back to the scene of his crime, as they sometimes do.

This is my theory as well. I also believe something similar happened to Joey LaBute based on some reports that he was seen on Grindr that evening.

This is my theory as well. I also believe something similar happened to Joey LaBute based on some reports that he was seen on Grindr that evening.

I agree. I've been reading up on the Joey LaBute case and there are some unsettling similarities.

A copy & paste of a youtube comment :

Aerophlix Media 1 year ago
These guys are in contact with Derek now we marched with him Sunday as well www.comebackpodcast.com
They also have new information that the media was completely wrong on! currently searching for security video that police wont release where the security team says shows him by a wendys after the last time seen check out their podcast!

I did not listen to this podcast but, apparently, the police either have suppressed video footage showing Brian by a Wendys after the last time he was officially seen or that they say the police has this footage. Any truth to this? Is there such footage in existence? If not, if it is a lie, then why does this lie exist? And who created this lie? For what reason? If the footage exists, why suppress it? To hide something? If so, for what reason?

In any case, this is what helped me form my theory. But I've been told that the "seen by the Wendy's" is speculation. So Hurst speculated? So why is it said that this footage exists? Either it does or it doesn't. You can't speculate on the existence of footage. Either it exists or it doesn't. And what was the basis for this speculation? An anonymous tip?

I've listened to every episode of the Comeback podcast more than once (some a good few times), and I'm afraid I can't quite relate to your post. Are you saying that there's a statement within the podcast saying there's suppressed footage of Brian near the Wendy's? Because I have never heard of that before at all. I don't know where you are getting that from.

I've listened to every episode of the Comeback podcast more than once (some a good few times), and I'm afraid I can't quite relate to your post. Are you saying that there's a statement within the podcast saying there's suppressed footage of Brian near the Wendy's? Because I have never heard of that before at all. I don't know where you are getting that from.

I got this from a comment someone made on youtube. Just now, in the last hour or so, I actually took the time to listen to the podcast where John Hurst is interviewed. He does say that cadaver dogs picked up nothing in the bar or building or construction site but that he was tracked outside the bar up to a Wendy's. However, Hurst said that although it appeared to be Brian's scent, he was not 100% sure that it was. Until it is confirmed as near to certainty as possible that the scent was not Brian's, I'm accepting that it was.

As for the suppressed footage, again, I got that from a youtube comment. I'm assuming the commenter actually heard that somewhere in a podcast. I have not listened to all the podcasts so I can't confirm if what this commenter said is true or not. I merely put this out there to see if anyone here had heard of this and/or knew something about it.

In a podcast, Brian's brother Derek has a gut feeling that Clint knows more than he let on. Derek also thinks that something bad happened to Brian and that he is no longer alive. Derek absolutely does not believe that Brian walked away from his life. If Brian's own brother thinks Brian did not walk away, then that's the best we have to go on for now. And who are we to question Derek?

I got this from a comment someone made on youtube. Just now, in the last hour or so, I actually took the time to listen to the podcast where John Hurst is interviewed. He does say that cadaver dogs picked up nothing in the bar or building or construction site but that he was tracked outside the bar up to a Wendy's. However, Hurst said that although it appeared to be Brian's scent, he was not 100% sure that it was. Until it is confirmed as near to certainty as possible that the scent was not Brian's, I'm accepting that it was.

As for the suppressed footage, again, I got that from a youtube comment. I'm assuming the commenter actually heard that somewhere in a podcast. I have not listened to all the podcasts so I can't confirm if what this commenter said is true or not. I merely put this out there to see if anyone here had heard of this and/or knew something about it.

In a podcast, Brian's brother Derek has a gut feeling that Clint knows more than he let on. Derek also thinks that something bad happened to Brian and that he is no longer alive. Derek absolutely does not believe that Brian walked away from his life. If Brian's own brother thinks Brian did not walk away, then that's the best we have to go on for now. And who are we to question Derek?

Cadaver dogs are going to be sniffing for a dead body. Search dogs follow the scent of a live person. So, cadaver dogs not picking up on something in the building makes it unlikely that a dead body was anywhere in there, but they wouldn’t have followed his scent to Wendy’s unless they were following his dead body being carried somewhere. I’m assuming both types of dogs were used here but just wanted to clarify that.

The Reward is no longer available however any information you may have that could solve Brian’s case would be very much appreciated. It has been too many years with no answers. I understand your fear of getting involved but you could speak to police anonymously and give any information you have. I am a host of a podcast called Comeback which is an investigative series on Brian’s Disappearance. All of us here on this site are all about getting answers for Brian and you could share it here with us if you like with no judgement. It’s all about Brian and his family deserves answers.

Pay no attention to Marco855. He has been busted as a fraud and a liar.

Does anyone know where this picture originally came from. This picture has been heavily altered.

Attachments

• F3695044-9729-4AEC-88A1-E2E46EA88EA1.jpeg
    F3695044-9729-4AEC-88A1-E2E46EA88EA1.jpeg
    24.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Does anyone know where this picture originally came from. This picture has been heavily altered.

I have an uncropped version with a red digital date on it. April 19 2002. Not sure of the year. I'm assuming you have that pic as well? Heavily altered? In what way? Do you have the original?

And who are we to question Derek?

rsbbm

I think in a missing persons case, a murder case, etc., an investigator questions everything, and everyone.

I don’t recall when Derek made the statement that Brian would never walk away from his life. But we’ve all read about family statements being proven untrue as a case progresses.

In the beginning of many missing or murdered cases, family and friends are simply unbelieving that their family member, or their friend, can do the awful deed. And I don’t blame them. They still have some innocence about the human factor. Those of us who follow true crime cases know how many times the family and friends just did not know the truth of what was going on.

Frankly, I don’t even take into account much of what family and friends say about a case, unless they are talking details or evidence. Too many times, that wonderful family member, or that great neighbor, or fantastic friend, turns out to be a facade.

But I digress. I don’t think Brian walked away from his life, either. I think he is still on the premises somewhere. I hope the new energy being put into his case will result in some definitive answers.

rsbbm

I think in a missing persons case, a murder case, etc., an investigator questions everything, and everyone.

I don’t recall when Derek made the statement that Brian would never walk away from his life. But we’ve all read about family statements being proven untrue as a case progresses.

In the beginning of many missing or murdered cases, family and friends are simply unbelieving that their family member, or their friend, can do the awful deed. And I don’t blame them. They still have some innocence about the human factor. Those of us who follow true crime cases know how many times the family and friends just did not know the truth of what was going on.

Frankly, I don’t even take into account much of what family and friends say about a case, unless they are talking details or evidence. Too many times, that wonderful family member, or that great neighbor, or fantastic friend, turns out to be a facade.

But I digress. I don’t think Brian walked away from his life, either. I think he is still on the premises somewhere. I hope the new energy being put into his case will result in some definitive answers.

Derek said in a podcast interview recently that he feels his brother would not have walked away from his life. He felt that way back then and still does today. But I do agree that, in some cases, that wonderful family member, friend, etc., turns out to be a façade.

And by "who are we to question Derek", I meant who are we to question his personal feelings about this.

I have an uncropped version with a red digital date on it. April 19 2002. Not sure of the year. I'm assuming you have that pic as well? Heavily altered? In what way? Do you have the original?

Do I don’t have the original. I’ll look to it thanks. His eyes have been altered and his ear and jawline. For example, the sclera of his eye is colored in to make his iris look smaller. Just wonder why someone would do that.

Attachments

• BA844947-98E9-42D5-B067-FD501B29C428.png
    BA844947-98E9-42D5-B067-FD501B29C428.png
    420.5 KB · Views: 34
Do I don’t have the original. I’ll look to it thanks. His eyes have been altered and his ear and jawline. For example, the sclera of his eye is colored in to make his iris look smaller. Just wonder why someone would do that.
I’ve seen this pic before but don’t recall from where. I honestly can’t detect any obvious alterations, it just looks like Brian to me.
Though maybe I should look at it in comparison to another pic of him.

I’ve seen this pic before but don’t recall from where. I honestly can’t detect any obvious alterations, it just looks like Brian to me.
Though maybe I should look at it in comparison to another pic of him.

It’s been altered. I’ve put it through two different photoshop detectors. I’ve always wondered about this pic. Not one pic of Brian out there has that amount of the whites of his eye showing like that.

It’s been altered. I’ve put it through two different photoshop detectors. I’ve always wondered about this pic. Not one pic of Brian out there has that amount of the whites of his eye showing like that.
Interesting, that you bring that up. About the whites of his eyes.
I remember seeing that photo and thinking it was a bit off ... or something. I believe it’s called Sanpaku eyes ?
The thing is, I’d never seen any other photos of him with his eyes like that. So, yes, I did find it a little bit creepy.

I can only find that particular photo on The Charley Project page for Brian. IIRC Alexis may have provided that pic.
Brian Randall Shaffer – The Charley Project

I can only find that particular photo on The Charley Project page for Brian. IIRC Alexis may have provided that pic.
Brian Randall Shaffer – The Charley Project

Perhaps we can clean up the Charley Project entry for Brian Shaffer a bit. Bold=delete, italicize=add

Shaffer was last seen at just feet outside the entrance to the Ugly Tuna Saloona, a since closed restaurant/bar near the Ohio State University (OSU) campus, between 1:30 1:55 and 2:00 a.m. on April 1, 2006. He had gone there to celebrate the beginning of spring break with several male friends a male friend and that friend's female friend and perhaps several other male students/acquaintances, and drank had during the course of the evening reportedly consumed several shots of hard liquor and may have been intoxicated at the time of his disappearance.

He was last seen on security video speaking to two college-age women inside just outside the entrance to the bar, which was housed within the larger South Campus Gateway office/retail complex, nearby portions of which were then under construction. He has never been heard from again. Security cameras at the bar in the complex show him entering the establishment complex, but not leaving it. CPD analyzed security cam footage and concluded that everyone captured on video entering the complex that day was also captured on video exiting, except one individual - Brian Shaffer. Whether Shaffer managed to exit the complex without being captured on video remains unknown.

Shaffer's car (which he is not believed to have driven that evening) was found parked at his apartment, which is near the Ugly Tuna Saloona, after his disappearance. None of his personal belongings disappeared with him, and his cellular phone, credit cards and bank accounts have not been used since he went missing.

Shaffer's loved ones describe his disappearance as highly unusual. He was a second-year medical student at OSU at the time of his disappearance, and made excellent grades. [not per detective Corbett]

He and his girlfriend, also a medical student, were planning to vacation in Miami, Florida for spring break and were scheduled to fly there on April 3, two days after his disappearance. His family reported him missing after he missed the flight.

Shaffer was in love with his girlfriend and reportedly planned to marry her. His mother died of cancer three weeks before his disappearance. He'd been close to her and he was grieving her passing, but his family and friends stated he was not inordinately depressed or suicidal.

In May 2006, someone broke into Shaffer's apartment. The burglary turned out to be may have been unrelated to his disappearance, as a neighboring unit was also burgled that evening [per this: Missing medical student’s King Avenue apartment robbed ]. Shaffer's father looked in the Olentangy River for his son's remains after his disappearance, but turned up no evidence. His father was killed in a freak accident in September 2008. Shaffer's only surviving immediate relative is his younger brother.

Authorities do not believe do not know if Shaffer left of his own accord, but it is unclear what caused his disappearance. He graduated Pickerington High School in 1997 and got a bachelor's degree in microbiology from OSU in 2003. Shaffer's case remains unsolved and deeply baffling.

Last edited:

Perhaps we can clean up the Charley Project entry for Brian Shaffer a bit. Bold=delete, italicize=add

Shaffer was last seen at just feet outside the entrance to the Ugly Tuna Saloona, a since closed restaurant/bar near the Ohio State University (OSU) campus, between 1:30 1:55 and 2:00 a.m. on April 1, 2006. He had gone there to celebrate the beginning of spring break with several male friends a male friend and that friend's female friend and perhaps several other male students/acquaintances, and drank had during the course of the evening reportedly consumed several shots of hard liquor and may have been intoxicated at the time of his disappearance.

He was last seen on security video speaking to two college-age women inside just outside the entrance to the bar, which was housed within the larger South Campus Gateway office/retail complex, nearby portions of which were then under construction. He has never been heard from again. Security cameras at the bar in the complex show him entering the establishment complex, but not leaving it. CPD analyzed security cam footage and concluded that everyone captured on video entering the complex that day was also captured on video exiting, except one individual - Brian Shaffer. Whether Shaffer managed to exit the complex without being captured on video remains unknown.

Shaffer's car (which he is not believed to have driven that evening) was found parked at his apartment, which is near the Ugly Tuna Saloona, after his disappearance. None of his personal belongings disappeared with him, and his cellular phone, credit cards and bank accounts have not been used since he went missing.

Shaffer's loved ones describe his disappearance as highly unusual. He was a second-year medical student at OSU at the time of his disappearance, and made excellent grades. [not per detective Corbett]

He and his girlfriend, also a medical student, were planning to vacation in Miami, Florida for spring break and were scheduled to fly there on April 3, two days after his disappearance. His family reported him missing after he missed the flight.

Shaffer was in love with his girlfriend and reportedly planned to marry her. His mother died of cancer three weeks before his disappearance. He'd been close to her and he was grieving her passing, but his family and friends stated he was not inordinately depressed or suicidal.

In May 2006, someone broke into Shaffer's apartment. The burglary turned out to be may have been unrelated to his disappearance, as a neighboring unit was also burgled that evening [per this: Missing medical student’s King Avenue apartment robbed ]. Shaffer's father looked in the Olentangy River for his son's remains after his disappearance, but turned up no evidence. His father was killed in a freak accident in September 2008. Shaffer's only surviving immediate relative is his younger brother.

Authorities do not believe do not know if Shaffer left of his own accord, but it is unclear what caused his disappearance. He graduated Pickerington High School in 1997 and got a bachelor's degree in microbiology from OSU in 2003. Shaffer's case remains unsolved and deeply baffling.

Did you submit this? I once submitted some similar updates/corrections for Brian Joseph Page and they accepted them. Personally, I think this is worth submitting.

These have probably been posted before so forgive the repeat posting.

Comeback
Did Brian attend Ohio University before he attended OSU?

20883096_483923725303529_2704578760251386694_n.jpg

Attachments

• 20883096_483923725303529_2704578760251386694_n.jpg
    20883096_483923725303529_2704578760251386694_n.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 28
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors