OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I always want to throw out the disclaimer that I'm no expert on these phone pings, I think that when the phone company would ping a phone it's possible that they would be able to tell what tower is closest to the phone being pinged. I'd guess they were pinging his phone multiple times to make sure they get a good signal from the tower that is interacting with the phone. If this is the case then this info could be very important because it may show that his phone was moving and not just bouncing to another tower that was busy. Hurst mentioned the Kenny and Lane area. One has to wonder why someone who killed Brian would turn his phone on in that area. He also mentioned the West side but I'm not sure if he elaborated on the exact area.

I'd imagine that Alexis, Randy and Derek at minimum were calling is phone before this and it was going to voice mail so his phone was either off or in an area were it wasn't getting a signal. I did double check with AT&T on the issue of was the phone off or no signal and was told there would be no way of knowing.

When I spoke to a tech about Brian's phone ringing and pinging a tower in Hilliard he actually spent a very long time on the phone with me. He even called me back a couple days later after talking to other techs about his. He said that they were roughly split as to it being a glitch or the phone was turned on. I asked him what he thought and he kind of chuckled and I could tell he didn't want to be pinned down to an answer. I told him it wasn't like he was making an official statement and he said "someone turned it on". I asked, so you think someone turned it on and he said yes. I was kind of surprised he put it that way instead of I think someone turned it on. This is why I asked him again.

I personally would go with his opinion, not because I want to believe it was Brian that turned it on or even someone else but he was the one I spoke to and gave as much detailed info as I could. I have no way of knowing how well or how in depth he went into the story with his co workers.

We can theorize all day long as to why the phone pinged in these areas but imo it won't ever get us closer to knowing anything. I do find it curious that Brian's phone started to ping around the time the homeless man thought he saw Brian at the United Dairy Mart by North Pearl. Hurst was quoted as saying they saw the tape of this man and it was not Brian. I could have sworn he said that there was no footage of this man but I'm probably thinking of another time.

Very interesting information, embufum. I would really love, I mean really love......to have more information about this ping, tape, and footage in this location. This information would be good to have.

Very interesting information, embufum. I would really love, I mean really love......to have more information about this ping, tape, and footage in this location. This information would be good to have.

Of course there is a lot of info that we don’t know and probably never will but after 13 years we now know that Brian’s phone pinged shortly after he went missing. I remember reading that this case has the biggest file that CPD has. I can only imagine what else there is to know. What I’d like to see are the photos of the construction area. I don’t think this would solve the debate of whether Brian is buried there I think it would help being able to visualize what possible routes Brian took.

Of course there is a lot of info that we don’t know and probably never will but after 13 years we now know that Brian’s phone pinged shortly after he went missing. I remember reading that this case has the biggest file that CPD has. I can only imagine what else there is to know. What I’d like to see are the photos of the construction area. I don’t think this would solve the debate of whether Brian is buried there I think it would help being able to visualize what possible routes Brian took.

I would love if they released the construction photos. Although they have no reason to. I personally can’t picture them doing some crazy underground digging under a building that has people going in and out all day.

Of course there is a lot of info that we don’t know and probably never will

IMO Makes no sense to hold on to that info..take a look at the Jennifer Kesse's case. The parent's just got access to thousands of files albeit they had to litigate for it.

Difference here unfortunately is that Randy's not around anymore. Noone is really pushing LE anymore. Sure I don't doubt they follow up new leads whatever they might be but seriously It's been 13 years now.. the whole case file would benefit a new set of eyes on it.

Of course there is a lot of info that we don’t know and probably never will but after 13 years we now know that Brian’s phone pinged shortly after he went missing. .
This ping thing is so confusing. As I understand it (and I'm no tech wiz), it is not so much that Brian's phone pinged or was in use in any way. It is that Cingular issued pings from its network of cell towers in an effort to determine the location of Brian's phone. The only pings transmitted by Cingular that successfully reached Brian's phone all were transmitted by Cingular from some unstated number of towers in the Columbus metro area. This means that at the time of the 30-day period of ping transmissions by Cingular from April 3 to around May 3 2006, Brian's phone was in the Columbus metro area. Right? Doesn't mean the phone was used by Brian or anyone else, right? And his phone could still have remained where it was then, but we don't know because CPD didn't pay for pinging after the 30 day period. So his phone could still be laying in weeds alongside a road, or with Brian's remains, or in a landfill, or ......

Had GPS technology on phones been more advanced then, perhaps the location of Brian's phone could have been determined to within a matter of feet. Could have potentially resulted in the case getting solved.

Last edited:
IMO Makes no sense to hold on to that info..take a look at the Jennifer Kesse's case. The parent's just got access to thousands of files albeit they had to litigate for it.

Difference here unfortunately is that Randy's not around anymore. Noone is really pushing LE anymore. Sure I don't doubt they follow up new leads whatever they might be but seriously It's been 13 years now.. the whole case file would benefit a new set of eyes on it.

You're right there really isn't anyone left other than Derek and some relatives, but even more important is that Jennifer's parent's have agreed to take on the responsibility of find their daughter and the police are no longer legally responsible or active in finding her.

In Brian's case there is no way they can afford to have the police stop cold turkey and I'm sure they don't want that. With thousands of pages of case files it would take months if not years to have a PI familiarize themselves with that amount of info.

This ping thing is so confusing. As I understand it (and I'm no tech wiz), it is not so much that Brian's phone pinged or was in use in any way. It is that Cingular issued pings from its network of cell towers in an effort to determine the location of Brian's phone. The only pings transmitted by Cingular that successfully reached Brian's phone all were transmitted by Cingular from some unstated number of towers in the Columbus metro area. This means that at the time of the 30-day period of ping transmissions by Cingular from April 3 to around May 3 2006, Brian's phone was in the Columbus metro area. Right? Doesn't mean the phone was used by Brian or anyone else, right? And his phone could still have remained where it was then, but we don't know because CPD didn't pay for pinging after the 30 day period. So his phone could still be laying in weeds alongside a road, or with Brian's remains, or in a landfill, or ......

Had GPS technology on phones been more advanced then, perhaps the location of Brian's phone could have been determined to within a matter of feet. Could have potentially resulted in the case getting solved.

OK I'll try my best to explain this as I see it which doesn't mean I'm right lol When the phone company sends a signal to ping a phone it is trying to locate that phone as near a possible to the tower that it is pinging from. Hurst mentions a couple different things that imo are very important and telling.

He said that they could try to triangulate that signal but instead they just went with the closest tower. This tells me that the phone company knows exactly what tower is closest to his phone! Unlike for example if you are making a call and a certain tower is busy it will bounce you to another tower. This signal is coming from the phone company and they have the ability to know which tower is closest to Brian's phone.

So if Brian's phone was pinging off of tower A which represents the closest tower and tower B is the second closest by say 5 miles (just an example) then they should have a good idea where is phone is. Granted there are likely many towers in that area, which might help pin point the phone location even better.

OK now remember when Hurst said a phone can ping up to 20 miles away? True or not it's not relevant in the example he is giving with the Kenny and Lane area because they already know what tower it is pinging off.

If on the other hand if Brian was making a call and the closest tower was busy it would bounce him to the next nearest tower ( I think) and that tower could be another 5 miles away. So in the first example we can't just assume that his phone could have been anywhere in a 20 mi radius since there are many tower within that 20 mile radius. I'd have to look but I'd like to know where the nearest tower was back then.

The Hilliard ping differed in that for a few hours Brian's phone was not only ringing before going to voice mail but it was getting a signal off a tower in Hilliard. There is an interview somewhere where Alexis talks about when this happened as in what time it started how long it lasted and her calling her brother and having him call the phone and then the police.

So for a short period of time not just one time as a lot of people think Brian's phone was accepting a signal as if it was turned on. It's also my understanding that it was pinging off another tower and they tried to triangulate it's whereabouts and the phone appeared to be on the move.

I've included a couple photos that show the towers in the area. I have no way of knowing what this looked like in 2006. The other photo is from what I believe is the tower that Brian's phone was pinging from. I have circled Kenny and Lane intersection.

If anyone remembers an earlier post of mine where I mention railroad tracks and an area where Brian could have been dumped in, well this is the exact spot I was looking at and at the time and I did not notice the cell tower. So thought it kind of a coincidence that this tower led me back here.

Screenshot (211).png Screenshot (209)_LI.jpg

Last edited:
You're right there really isn't anyone left other than Derek and some relatives, but even more important is that Jennifer's parent's have agreed to take on the responsibility of find their daughter and the police are no longer legally responsible or active in finding her.

In Brian's case there is no way they can afford to have the police stop cold turkey and I'm sure they don't want that. With thousands of pages of case files it would take months if not years to have a PI familiarize themselves with that amount of info.

They sued to gain access to the file records, because the case is still open and active. They were successful partly because the police made a statement 2010 that acknowledged that "they had exhausted all possible leads in the investigation".
In fact LE was searching an area with divers the other day in connection to the case.

If anyone remembers an earlier post of mine where I mention railroad tracks and an area where Brian could have been dumped in, well this is the exact spot I was looking at and at the time and I did not notice the cell tower. So thought it kind of a coincidence that this tower led me back here.

View attachment 214178 View attachment 214179
Dumping a body near railroad tracks seems plausible to me.
rsbm.
OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #4
"Brian’s phone pinged near Kenny and Lane so he was either hanging out near the campus or someone dumped his body along or near the railroad tracks imo."

Just listened to 'Brian Shaffer Dead or Alive Chapter Three: The Inside Track' again on youtube.

I gather from that that when Cingular was paid by CPD to ping Brian's phone for 30 days starting the evening of Monday, April 3, 2006, the result was that on two (2) occasions during that period pings reached Brian's phone. I base this on Hurst's having stated in the podcast 'we got a couple pings' and 'there was two pings'. According to Hurst, if I understand him correctly, one of the pings that reached Brian's phone was transmitted from a tower in the area of Scioto Darby Rd, which runs for a six mile stretch on the west side of Columbus from roughly eight to fourteen miles from the Gateway complex where Brian was last seen. The other ping that reached Brian's phone was transmitted from a tower in the area of the intersection of Kenny and Lane a few miles from the Gateway complex where Brian was last seen. Hurst in the podcast did not state on which exact dates during the 30 day period pinging was done that the 2 successful pings were transmitted.

Based on this, it would seem that one can conclude that Brian's phone was in the Columbus metro area when the two successful pings reached Brian's phone in April 2006, and within 20 miles or so of the two towers from which the successful pings were emitted. As far as I know, there is no evidence that Brian's phone was ever used again after he was last seen around 2am on 4/3/06.

Also, as far as I know, there is no evidence that Brian ever left the Columbus metro area after he was last seen. In fact, there is, curiously no evidence that Brian ever even so much as left the premises of the Gateway complex where he was last seen.

Poof.

Last edited:
I have a quick question, sorry if i've missed it somewhere but i saw a post on here that said both Clint and Meredith said Brian came back into the bar and spoke to them after speaking to the 2 girls at the top of the elevator so i'm confused why there is speculation he could have left the 2 girls and went to the construction entrance if it was confirmed he went back into the bar?

Is this the case, was it confirmed who were the last people to see/speak to him, was it the 2 girls or was it C and M?

I have a quick question, sorry if i've missed it somewhere but i saw a post on here that said both Clint and Meredith said Brian came back into the bar and spoke to them after speaking to the 2 girls at the top of the elevator so i'm confused why there is speculation he could have left the 2 girls and went to the construction entrance if it was confirmed he went back into the bar?

Is this the case, was it confirmed who were the last people to see/speak to him, was it the 2 girls or was it C and M?

The two girls, (Amber & Brightan) were the last people to speak to Brian before he vanished. And they were chatting standing outside the bar entrance.
But you mean escalators not elevator yes?
Clint and Meredith were in the bar and started looking for Brian but could never locate him and later left.

Since they left by the same way where Brian was speaking to the 2 girls moments prior and didn't see him there, and Brian was never seen leaving through the escalators, it's assumed he exited through a construction door (just behind the camera view at 1.55) leading ultimately to the zone known as "the construction area".

There are some really good podcasts out there , this one for example ‎Brian Shaffer Dead or Alive on Apple Podcasts
where Brightan is interviewed amongst else.

The two girls, (Amber & Brightan) were the last people to speak to Brian before he vanished. And they were chatting standing outside the bar entrance.
But you mean escalators not elevator yes?
Clint and Meredith were in the bar and started looking for Brian but could never locate him and later left.

Since they left by the same way where Brian was speaking to the 2 girls moments prior and didn't see him there, and Brian was never seen leaving through the escalators, it's assumed he exited through a construction door (just behind the camera view at 1.55) leading ultimately to the zone known as "the construction area".

There are some really good podcasts out there , this one for example ‎Brian Shaffer Dead or Alive on Apple Podcasts
where Brightan is interviewed amongst else.
Yup. A drunk guy is last seen in a building, mere feet outside the entrance to an inadequately secured active construction area described as a 'mess', 'completely dug up', and 'difficult to navigate, even sober'. Floors not in place, just piled dirt everywhere. The guy's phone at that moment in time starts going straight to voicemail as if there is something suddenly blocking it from getting a signal. His companions are mystified as to his whereabouts. Review of surveillance vid curiously seems to show that the guy did not leave the building. No sign that he ever made it back to his apt. Next day, guy is AWOL. Something bad/unexpected obviously happened to him that early morn. Guy's phone is pinged in following weeks, and the location of the two towers from which successful pings were transmitted show his phone remains in a general area which includes location/building where he was last seen. Months and years later, people report a stench in the building. Decade+ later, never a trace of life.

Hmmm. Where in the world could this guy be? Maybe the Caribbean? Maybe Italy?... It seems plainly obvious to me where he most likely is. But what do I know.

Last edited:
Yup. A drunk guy is last seen in a building, mere feet outside the entrance to an inadequately secured active construction area described as a 'mess', 'completely dug up', and 'difficult to navigate, even sober'. Floors not in place, just piled dirt everywhere. The guy's phone at that moment in time starts going straight to voicemail as if there is something suddenly blocking it from getting a signal. His companions are mystified as to his whereabouts. Review of surveillance vid curiously seems to show that the guy did not leave the building. No sign that he ever made it back to his apt. Next day, guy is AWOL. Something bad/unexpected obviously happened to him that early morn. Guy's phone is pinged in following weeks, and the location of the two towers from which successful pings were transmitted show his phone remains in a general area which includes location/building where he was last seen. Months and years later, people report a stench in the building. Decade+ later, never a trace of life.

Hmmm. Where in the world could this guy be? Maybe the Caribbean? Maybe Italy?... It seems plainly obvious to me where he most likely is. But what do I know.

Probably you've seen the video but if not they show some moments footage from within the construction area, I'm sure there's more unedited footage from that recording being kept somewhere on that newsstation. So is it impossible to ask them to share that footage?
It starts at 5.35. I guess it's some time later after Brian's disapperance however. Maybe up to year.

Here's another video which might be of interest where ground penetrating radar is used in a parking garage to try to find the remains of the Springfield three

I hope it's ok to link to Youtube btw!

Last edited:

Your conclusion is the most logical one, itsrak. Some amateur sleuths don't want to accept it because they wish so badly for Brian to still be alive.
I've listened to the way certain people (both women and men) discuss Brian in podcasts and in posts in this forum.
It has become obvious to me that those people hold some very romantic ideas about Brian. Some of them seem to believe that they're speaking directly to Brian and hoping to touch his heart and convince him to return. The fact that one series of podcasts was entitled "Comeback" is clear evidence of that mentality.
I believe that some of these people actually have a crush on Brian and imagine having some kind of relationship with Brian if he were to return.
Pointing out the most likely, most logical scenario--that Brian died in the construction area the night he disappeared--runs counter to the fantasies of those people, which is why they try to shut down any discussion of that outcome. They will do anything to cling to the scenario that they want to believe in.

Your conclusion is the most logical one, itsrak. Some amateur sleuths don't want to accept it because they wish so badly for Brian to still be alive.
I've listened to the way certain people (both women and men) discuss Brian in podcasts and in posts in this forum.
It has become obvious to me that those people hold some very romantic ideas about Brian. Some of them seem to believe that they're speaking directly to Brian and hoping to touch his heart and convince him to return. The fact that one series of podcasts was entitled "Comeback" is clear evidence of that mentality.
I believe that some of these people actually have a crush on Brian and imagine having some kind of relationship with Brian if he were to return.
Pointing out the most likely, most logical scenario--that Brian died in the construction area the night he disappeared--runs counter to the fantasies of those people, which is why they try to shut down any discussion of that outcome. They will do anything to cling to the scenario that they want to believe in.

I am someone who has consistently entertained both the construction site theory, and the possibility that Brian is still alive. I have never shut down a conversation about the construction site theory, but I still think your post goes a bit too far in the way it "diagnoses" proponents of the theory that Brian left of his own accord. You're lumping everyone who has ever considered that Brian may be alive (whether adamantly, or for the sake of remaining open minded) into one basket, and describing us as stark staring mad. Having a crush on Brian and imagining some kind of relationship with him if he returns, would be right up there with believing that celebrities are communicating directly to us through our televisions. I seriously doubt that that's the mindset that any of the posters in this thread are coming from.

Sadly, long term missing persons cases don't usually end well. However, of all the possible outcomes of a missing persons case, the most favourable is going to be that they're alive and well. In cases where there is no hard evidence to the contrary, that outcome is still going to be on the table for discussion. This possibility is not one that people have plucked out of their airy-fairy romantic fantasies... they have read and listened to material that has come from key people connected to this case, including Don Corbett, John Hurst and Clint's lawyer (who made such a bold statement suggesting Brian is alive, that it's hard to ignore).

Most of the people I've communicated with who believe Brian may still be alive, are as objective as they can be. I don't think I have come across many people who would be willing to bet their bottom dollar on it (I certainly wouldn't).

There being opposing views on this thread is constructive, so long as we refrain from implying that anyone here has lost the plot. If we were all of the same opinion, this thread would come to a dead stop because there probably wouldn't be much left to say at that point.

There being opposing views on this thread is constructive, so long as we refrain from implying that anyone here has lost the plot. If we were all of the same opinion, this thread would come to a dead stop because there probably wouldn't be much left to say at that point.

That is very true, especially in a case like Brian's. There's hardly any evidence on anything, maybe that he didn't use the escalators to exit the building, but even that can't be assured being 100% the absolute truth.
So we know Brian's is missing, (I think that's true?) so that opens up a host of possible outcomes. Including that he could still be alive. Then of course you're allowed to have your own opinion... but I think this thread is as high level and moderate as can be considering the case it is.

Months and years later, people report a stench in the building.
rsbm
Was there a stench reported in the building months or years later? I hadn’t heard that part. Do you have a link to an article? Or do you recall about when that happened? I’m curious to read more about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member