OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to Hurst's interview in the "Dead or Alive" podcast, it doesn't sound like searching the construction site was LE's first strategy. It sounds like the focus was initially on finding Brian's phone through pings. It may be that the building and construction site were searched only after attempts to locate the phone failed, which might have meant a delay of several days. So far as I know, Hurst has never stated the exact date on which the construction site was exhaustively searched. I think there's a reason why LE doesn't want the public to know that, and I think the reason is that the search did not occur on Monday morning, which would mean that some work was done at the site after Brian disappeared but before the first search was conducted. Moreover, the first search may have been cursory. LE needs to release a detailed timeline of their searches in this case.
-
We haven't talked much about construction garbage, but every construction site generates a certain amount of scrap material. Do we know how that construction garbage was dealt with? On some construction sites, scrap materials are buried. Could there have been a pit on site for burying scrap materials? Brian could have fallen into such a hole and been inadvertantly concealed by the next load of scrap material that was dumped into the hole. The hole might then have been filled in. All of that could have happened before the site was searched. Even though it happens all the time, burying scrap materials on site is probably a code violation; it's done to avoid landfill fees and dumpster fees. The construction site manager might have neglected to mention the existence of such a refuse pit to LE.

I could believe the scrap heap into a hole theory but that’s not the type of construction zone I’m picturing. I could see a scrap heap at a brand new construction but this doesn’t seem like that to me from what I’ve read on here it was them doing the floors and maybe some minor drains and we also have that picture of the door with what appears to be a scissor lift inside so they were probably doing dry wall or lighting in the ceiling. Just my thoughts on it. I really wish they would post pictures from during the search so people could have an idea of what the construction zone looked like.

Listening to Hurst's interview in the "Dead or Alive" podcast, it doesn't sound like searching the construction site was LE's first strategy. It sounds like the focus was initially on finding Brian's phone through pings. It may be that the building and construction site were searched only after attempts to locate the phone failed, which might have meant a delay of several days. So far as I know, Hurst has never stated the exact date on which the construction site was exhaustively searched. I think there's a reason why LE doesn't want the public to know that, and I think the reason is that the search did not occur on Monday morning, which would mean that some work was done at the site after Brian disappeared but before the first search was conducted. Moreover, the first search may have been cursory. LE needs to release a detailed timeline of their searches in this case.
-
We haven't talked much about construction garbage, but every construction site generates a certain amount of scrap material. Do we know how that construction garbage was dealt with? On some construction sites, scrap materials are buried. Could there have been a pit on site for burying scrap materials? Brian could have fallen into such a hole and been inadvertantly concealed by the next load of scrap material that was dumped into the hole. The hole might then have been filled in. All of that could have happened before the site was searched. Even though it happens all the time, burying scrap materials on site is probably a code violation; it's done to avoid landfill fees and dumpster fees. The construction site manager might have neglected to mention the existence of such a refuse pit to LE.

I could believe the scrap heap into a hole theory but that’s not the type of construction zone I’m picturing. I could see a scrap heap at a brand new construction but this doesn’t seem like that to me from what I’ve read on here it was them doing the floors and maybe some minor drains and we also have that picture of the door with what appears to be a scissor lift inside so they were probably doing dry wall or lighting in the ceiling. Just my thoughts on it. I really wish they would post pictures from during the search so people could have an idea of what the construction zone looked like.

One question that i have is one that i am hesitant to ask.
Is everything about BS's father's shocking and untimely death caused by a tree limb falling on him, widely accepted as a complete freak accident?
speculation, imo.
The story that I heard was that the company that Randy worked for got ahold of his neighbors because he didn't show up for work. But the neighbors definitely found him. I also saw the news report, showing the tree.

You might take a listen to the latest Brian Shaffer podcast put out by fellow websleuther Looking4Brian on Oct. 30, featuring another interview of former CPD Sargeant Hurst. He characterized the 'construction area' as follows: 'treacherous', a 'mess', 'no floor', 'dirt floor' that was 'uneven' and 'unlevel' and 'floor was all dug up' and 'typical construction of a brand new building' and 'it would be easy for someone to get into that area, there was no barrier from the service entrance' (my gosh, does that scream 'lawsuit!' or what). Brian was last seen near the service entrance at the moment in time that he permanently disappeared without a trace, and prior to an awful stench eventually being reported by some patrons of the Gateway complex. Just coincidence? Is it also just coincidence that surveillance video mysteriously fails to show Brian exiting the building that morn?

There are reasons to believe Brian Shaffer's remains may well still be on the property.

I've tried six ways to Sunday to hammer that point home. Friend, am I, are we, making any progress?

Last edited:
One question that i have is one that i am hesitant to ask.
Is everything about BS's father's shocking and untimely death caused by a tree limb falling on him, widely accepted as a complete freak accident?
speculation, imo.

Small side note dotr, but I've read there were also four other storm-related deaths the same day Randy died. //

Were the only entrances to the construction area on the ground floor, or could Brian have entered the construction area directly from the second floor and fallen 10 feet or so down to ground level?

ETA: Could a buried body produce a stench above ground? Or does the stench suggest that Brian's body is above ground, for instance in a gap between two walls, in a chimney, or in a ventilation shaft?

Last edited:
You might take a listen to the latest Brian Shaffer podcast put out by fellow websleuther Looking4Brian on Oct. 30, featuring another interview of former CPD Sargeant Hurst. He characterized the 'construction area' as follows: 'treacherous', a 'mess', 'no floor', 'dirt floor' that was 'uneven' and 'unlevel' and 'floor was all dug up' and 'typical construction of a brand new building' and 'it would be easy for someone to get into that area, there was no barrier from the service entrance' (my gosh, does that scream 'lawsuit!' or what). Brian was last seen near the service entrance at the moment in time that he permanently disappeared without a trace, and prior to an awful stench eventually being reported by some patrons of the Gateway complex. Just coincidence? Is it also just coincidence that surveillance video mysteriously fails to show Brian exiting the building that morn?

There are reasons to believe Brian Shaffer's remains may well still be on the property.

I've tried six ways to Sunday to hammer that point home. Friend, am I, are we, making any progress?

Yeah, I remember as I was listening to that, how much of a stark contrast there is there. Hurst tries to make the point that they don't believe it's possible that Brian's remains are in the former construction site... but there's use of language that would make anyone still wonder. Everything he says to describe the site pretty much sums up why parents are always telling their children "do not play in construction sites, it's very dangerous".

Yeah, I remember as I was listening to that, how much of a stark contrast there is there. Hurst tries to make the point that they don't believe it's possible that Brian's remains are in the former construction site... but there's use of language that would make anyone still wonder. Everything he says to describe the site pretty much sums up why parents are always telling their children "do not play in construction sites, it's very dangerous".
Same here. We'd been led to believe that there was but a small hole in the floor, then in the podcast we're informed that in fact there was no floor, just piles of dirt everywhere, and a large, deep hole at the base of the under-construction elevator shaft around 20' from where Brian was seen chatting up Amber and Brightan (and near the entrance to Gateway Cinema, from which stench was reported). But no, no he's definitely not in there, and we think he could still be alive.... Egad.

Same here. We'd been led to believe that there was but a small hole in the floor, then in the podcast we're informed that in fact there was no floor, just piles of dirt everywhere, and a large, deep hole at the base of the under-construction elevator shaft around 20' from where Brian was seen chatting up Amber and Brightan (and near the entrance to Gateway Cinema, from which stench was reported). But no, no he's definitely not in there, and we think he could still be alive.... Egad.

I guess that when it comes to complaints about a stench... I always imagined that it was something to do with disposal of food scraps, since the UTS had a seafood menu. That plus the fact that it was a student bar at night, and those places are never that great.

I guess that when it comes to complaints about a stench... I always imagined that it was something to do with disposal of food scraps, since the UTS had a seafood menu. That plus the fact that it was a student bar at night, and those places are never that great.
Stench was reported (in a Yelp review) by at least one patron of the Gateway Cinema, which was brand new at the time. Perhaps others smelled a stench too, but didn't report it. Yelp was new at the time.

Last edited:
In regard to the foyer entrance, leading to service/construction area it needs to be discussed how Brian managed to squeak through with basically two cpd officers "parked" in front of that entrance.
Their duty was evidently to make sure no-one wandered off in the building and to clear the area once the bar closed. So the question is were they still there 3-4 minutes after Brian is seen on the footage or did they have an alert and needed to rush off?

I mean their testimony must have been pretty crucial to CPD since they were police officers, the fact that they're hardly mentioned can indicate they had to leave and didn't have anything important to relay.

Or, as the bar-patrons vacated the bar and it was time for staff and the band to depart Brian could have been on their heels exiting in the same manner. But that would to have occured later than 1.58-2.00. Basically after the bar closed at 2.30.
I think that if staff needed to leave prior to closing of the bar they used the escalators like every1 else.

In regard to the foyer entrance, leading to service/construction area it needs to be discussed how Brian managed to squeak through with basically two cpd officers "parked" in front of that entrance.
Their duty was evidently to make sure no-one wandered off in the building and to clear the area once the bar closed. So the question is were they still there 3-4 minutes after Brian is seen on the footage or did they have an alert and needed to rush off?

I mean their testimony must have been pretty crucial to CPD since they were police officers, the fact that they're hardly mentioned can indicate they had to leave and didn't have anything important to relay.

Or, as the bar-patrons vacated the bar and it was time for staff and the band to depart Brian could have been on their heels exiting in the same manner. But that would to have occured later than 1.58-2.00. Basically after the bar closed at 2.30.
I think that if staff needed to leave prior to closing of the bar they used the escalators like every1 else.
The cops probably had their backs to Brian and the beige door. They were probably more focused on the people leaving and entering the bar, keeping an eye out for people who were falling-down drunk or getting into fights, etc.
There's been nothing to suggest that the beige door was off limits, so even if they had seen Brian go through that door, they wouldn't have thought anything of it.

There's been nothing to suggest that the beige door was off limits

interesting , so I recall from somewhere that that door could or should have been locked.
But with so much info processed lately I can be mistaken or it could have been refering to another door entirely.

The cops probably had their backs to Brian and the beige door. .

If this is something to go by they were standing in full view, however who knows four minutes later or whenever he supposedly exited that way.
I heard that the cctv footage recordings were out on the internet multiple years ago, but then taken off, would have been interesting to review some of it...

cpd.png

Crime Junkie's episode today was on Brian - MISSING: Brian Shaffer - Crime Junkie Podcast

Haven't listened to it yet and i'm sure there's nothing new but thought i may as well mention it. Crime Junkie is one of the most popular True Crime Podcasts right now so hopefully the attention brought from them covering his case will unearth something.

Better podcast then the one I listened to where the hosts weren't able to determine whether Meredith was man or a woman, but not much.

Better podcast then the one I listened to where the hosts weren't able to determine whether Meredith was man or a woman, but not much.

Yeah, there was no new information in this at all. It was a run down of the most basic information, more of interest to those who have no prior knowledge of the case of Brian Shaffer. That is still useful of course. Anything that makes a new group of people aware of this case helps keep the story alive.
I was wondering if they were aware of our discussion here, or have listened to the Brian Shaffer Dead or Alive podcast, and would therefore at least mention that there has recently been more in depth discussions about phone pings... and about the family dynamics at the time etc... But it seems they weren't aware of any of that.
I'm having deja vu here actually. I feel like I have already heard the same two podcast hosts do an episode on Brian Shaffer before, but I must be getting a couple of different podcasts confused.

The staff wouldn't have been leaving between 1:58 and 2:00, but the band might have left that early or even earlier. Most bands leave well before last call, at least in the bars and clubs I've been to.

I listened to that podcast and definitely think he could still be in there. There have been too many cases of people being found in the weirdest places in buildings. I just want to see pictures of the construction zone so I could have my own interpretation of it. WhAt one persons thinks is completely dug up could just be plain construction to someone else.

I listened to that podcast and definitely think he could still be in there. There have been too many cases of people being found in the weirdest places in buildings. I just want to see pictures of the construction zone so I could have my own interpretation of it. WhAt one persons thinks is completely dug up could just be plain construction to someone else.
I'd sure like to see photos, too. I suppose if CPD has pics (I doubt that they do), they won't release them. About all we have now are the descriptions of Hurst, who was there. He characterized the 'construction area' as follows: 'treacherous', a 'mess', 'no floor', 'dirt floor' that was 'uneven' and 'unlevel' and 'floor was all dug up'. Brian speculated to have been in there. Then vanishes. Seemed not to have left the building. Then later a stench in the building. I think searchers missed his remains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member