OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So close to home, I find this case as one being solved I believe the bar has alot more information then they have released..Question is who are they trying to protect ?

Have you ever looked into the tyler davis, andy Chapman Joey labute, cases all went missing in columbus, and joey labute went missing exactly 4 minutes away from the ugly tuna saloona at the union cafe, my gut tells me that all these cases are connected, I'm from ohio, and I believe their is a serial killer targeting men in columbus, all their profiles seemed to match and their looks are so identical.

I have read the entire thread and one of the older threads on Shaffer and one thing i did not see discussed or explained in much length (although @itsrak has noted it a few times over the last dozen pages) which is the issue of complete radio silence since he disappeared. How do the people who believe he ran away to start a new life address the fact that absolutely nothing has been heard of him since? There has been literally zero sign that he is alive. He disappeared on the cusp of the social media age and even had an active Myspace page. His case is kind of well known as far as missing persons go too. If you Google "people who vanished" "people who disappeared into thin air" Brian is always listed in the top 5 or top 3 going back years and some of these articles about him have thousands of views and hundreds of comments. There are Youtube podcasts and videos of his case that have wracked up hundreds of thousands of views and comments. For me it's unfeasible that someone somewhere would not have given even a hint of him being alive or that Shaffer himself would not have made a mistake, an error, used numbers or details that gets something traced back to his real identity, etc in over 14 years. We live in the most monitored and surveilled society of all time. There isn't much privacy these days at all. Unless he moved to some island in the middle of the pacific or had thousands worth of plastic surgery or something i just don't see how he can just vanish and be living a regular life. I think the phone pings shortly after his disappearance are a red herring but aside from that, what do we have that indicates he's still alive?

I have read the entire thread and one of the older threads on Shaffer and one thing i did not see discussed or explained in much length (although @itsrak has noted it a few times over the last dozen pages) which is the issue of complete radio silence since he disappeared. How do the people who believe he ran away to start a new life address the fact that absolutely nothing has been heard of him since? There has been literally zero sign that he is alive. He disappeared on the cusp of the social media age and even had an active Myspace page. His case is kind of well known as far as missing persons go too. If you Google "people who vanished" "people who disappeared into thin air" Brian is always listed in the top 5 or top 3 going back years and some of these articles about him have thousands of views and hundreds of comments. There are Youtube podcasts and videos of his case that have wracked up hundreds of thousands of views and comments. For me it's unfeasible that someone somewhere would not have given even a hint of him being alive or that Shaffer himself would not have made a mistake, an error, used numbers or details that gets something traced back to his real identity, etc in over 14 years. We live in the most monitored and surveilled society of all time. There isn't much privacy these days at all. Unless he moved to some island in the middle of the pacific or had thousands worth of plastic surgery or something i just don't see how he can just vanish and be living a regular life. I think the phone pings shortly after his disappearance are a red herring but aside from that, what do we have that indicates he's still alive?

In my view, FWIW, the moment the radio silence kicked off - at around 2am 4/1/06 give or take a few minutes - is the moment whatever happened to Brian happened. The pings transmitted by Cingular beginning 3 days after Brian disappeared confirm that his phone remained in the Columbus metro area at that time. In my view, this is consistent with the notion that Brian never managed to exit the building as a result of some kind of accident, likely in the completely dug up construction area near where he was last seen, within a few minutes of when he was last seen, and his body remains there with his phone to this day. An extremely simple scenario (one that potentially explains: the radio silence, why didn't appear on vid leaving the building, why never again seen outside the building, why never on vid outside the building, why never used phone, why never tapped cash/credit, why seemingly blew off GF, why seemingly blew off family, why stopped taking/making calls, why phone started going to VM, why looming after-party seemingly blown off, why Clint insisted he had nothing to do with it, why the searches of Clint's and Meredith's and Brian's vehicles and the professor's home came up empty, why the phone remained in the Columbus area, why no body ever found, why stench reported in the building....). One that could be confirmed or shot down, were the will there, but at considerable expense and dislocation. If his remains are in there, they are findable and recoverable, and the mystery thus potentially solvable. But the will to expend resources and dig and rip-up and cause dislocation seems not to be there. No one agitates for it, as far as I know. So life rolls on, and the mystery persists. But isn't it weird to think that every day, as people go on about their business in that building - watching films, eating, working, they may well be unknowingly coming within mere feet of Brian's remains...

Last edited:
In my view, FWIW, the moment the radio silence kicked off - at around 2am 4/1/06 give or take a few minutes - is the moment whatever happened to Brian happened. The pings transmitted by Cingular beginning 3 days after Brian disappeared confirm that his phone remained in the Columbus metro area at that time. In my view, this is consistent with the notion that Brian never managed to exit the building as a result of some kind of accident, likely in the completely dug up construction area near where he was last seen, within a few minutes of when he was last seen, and his body remains there with his phone to this day. An extremely simple scenario (one that potentially explains: the radio silence, why didn't appear on vid leaving the building, why never again seen outside the building, why never on vid outside the building, why never used phone, why never tapped cash/credit, why seemingly blew off GF, why seemingly blew off family, why stopped taking/making calls, why phone started going to VM, why looming after-party seemingly blown off, why Clint insisted he had nothing to do with it, why the searches of Clint's and Meredith's and Brian's vehicles and the professor's home came up empty, why the phone remained in the Columbus area, why no body ever found, why stench reported in the building....). One that could be confirmed or shot down, were the will there, but at considerable expense and dislocation. If his remains are in there, they are findable and recoverable, and the mystery thus potentially solvable. But the will to expend resources and dig and rip-up and cause dislocation seems not to be there. No one agitates for it, as far as I know. So life rolls on, and the mystery persists. But isn't it weird to think that every day, as people go on about their business in that building - watching films, eating, working, they may well be unknowingly coming within mere feet of Brian's remains...

I feel the same about the phone pings. I don't see that his phone pinging a few days later points to him being alive and on the move. Couldn't it just be that he had an accident which buried him and the phone together or even that the phone itself got seperated from his body during the accident which then got scattered and hidden in among some rubble and picked up as trash and driven off or anything like that? All it indicates was that the phone was still in the locality of the area. If anything, the phone pinging within and around the environment he disappeared adds MORE weight to the accident theory.

I feel the same about the phone pings. I don't see that his phone pinging a few days later points to him being alive and on the move. Couldn't it just be that he had an accident which buried him and the phone together or even that the phone itself got seperated from his body during the accident which then got scattered and hidden in among some rubble and picked up as trash and driven off or anything like that? All it indicates was that the phone was still in the locality of the area. If anything, the phone pinging within and around the environment he disappeared adds MORE weight to the accident theory.
BBM
I agree. Some people want to believe that Brian could still be alive because that would make for a happy ending so to speak. That's called wishful thinking. I can't rule out the possibility that Brian was murdered and disposed of that night, but I'd say the odds are slight compared to the odds that he died accidentally and became buried or entombed within the building.

to this day we still have issues with getting cell service in certain buildings. If he fell into a trench and was covered with tons of dirt and concrete there’s no way in hell that the phone gets a signal to ping.

to this day we still have issues with getting cell service in certain buildings. If he fell into a trench and was covered with tons of dirt and concrete there’s no way in hell that the phone gets a signal to ping.
It doesn't take much dirt to trap a man in a trench. And if the stench in the building was from BS, that would suggest he wasn't deeply buried, if at all.

The possibility of one becoming trapped in construction area of building termed 'craggy' seems enhanced due to the fact that the complex was not 'square' because it was located at the intersection of streets that were not perpendicular. Were there one or more 'wedges' in the construction area or in the complex? See this aerial:
not-square-png.245080

not-square-png.245079

Attachments

• not square.png
    not square.png
    550.3 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
As an architect with experience in commercial renovations and additions, I think the construction site would be full of voids that could entrap a person without being buried deeply. The staggered walls can be designed as voids, with space between walls to allow for large diameter cast iron roof drain lines, as well as exhaust and supply ductwork. There are also exit stairwell and elevator shaft wall systems that can have voids, and the junction between the newer construction and the existing building may also have voids. Such a void may also be included as a method of allowing expansion and contraction between different types of wall construction and areas of different heights. Also, when architects create irregular shapes, walls are often framed with voids to accommodate changes in plane.

It is certainly possible that Brian, after having a few drinks, stumbled into a void in a wall system, and is still there today as many believe. If he was lodged in an area enclosed by gypsum board, not far from the exterior of the building, his phone could have good reception. I agree that the phone is probably still with Brian’s remains, concealed someplace in the building.

Commercial construction goes quickly unless there are cash flow problems, and it is possible that an area where Brian tumbled in could have been quickly enclosed without anyone realizing that a man was inside.

I worked in Ohio for a few years, and have been to Columbus, although I’m unfamiliar with the OSU area. I’ve never seen the building, but the aerial photo looks like the kind of design that could have plenty of voids.

As an architect with experience in commercial renovations and additions, I think the construction site would be full of voids that could entrap a person without being buried deeply. The staggered walls can be designed as voids, with space between walls to allow for large diameter cast iron roof drain lines, as well as exhaust and supply ductwork. There are also exit stairwell and elevator shaft wall systems that can have voids, and the junction between the newer construction and the existing building may also have voids. Such a void may also be included as a method of allowing expansion and contraction between different types of wall construction and areas of different heights. Also, when architects create irregular shapes, walls are often framed with voids to accommodate changes in plane.

It is certainly possible that Brian, after having a few drinks, stumbled into a void in a wall system, and is still there today as many believe. If he was lodged in an area enclosed by gypsum board, not far from the exterior of the building, his phone could have good reception. I agree that the phone is probably still with Brian’s remains, concealed someplace in the building.

Commercial construction goes quickly unless there are cash flow problems, and it is possible that an area where Brian tumbled in could have been quickly enclosed without anyone realizing that a man was inside.

I worked in Ohio for a few years, and have been to Columbus, although I’m unfamiliar with the OSU area. I’ve never seen the building, but the aerial photo looks like the kind of design that could have plenty of voids.
Thanks for the very interesting insight!
What do you think might be the best way (without complete demolition) to find out if Brian's remains are in fact within the building?

Thanks for the very interesting insight!
What do you think might be the best way (without complete demolition) to find out if Brian's remains are in fact within the building?

It isn’t easy unless the search area can be limited. In the case of gypsum board, a small opening could be cut out in a suspect area, and in addition to a flashlight, a cadaver dog could sniff the area. After checking, the cut out area could be patched and painted. Other possibilities using non-destructive methods include thermal imaging, portable x-ray equipment (often used for detecting reinforcing inside concrete slabs), and ground penetrating radar units on wheels placed over a floor slab. These methods are common for investigating hidden conditions, but of course there is a cost involved. These technologies will find an anomaly that is not normal for what is expected. Perhaps a cadaver dog could help even now to establish a search area.

Here's another image showing the Gateway Complex from the air. I've inserted a green line to demarcate the area where the two components on the structure - one component fronting and sort of paralleling High St. to the west, and the other fronting 9th St. to the south - seem to (at least from this aerial view) meet. Were I going to search for Brian's remains, I'd focus initially along that green line, as it'd seem the most likely area for a void between the two components of the structure to exist. And I'd start at the north end in the Gateway Film Center space, since that is where the stench was reported.

bs-map-png.245156

Attachments

• BS map.png
    BS map.png
    876 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Wow...I'm checking in on this case for the first time in five or six years. I've spent the last few hours perusing dozens of the pages of comments. While it is unfortunate that there hasn't been a solution, it's great to see that Brian's case still has a sizable (and growing) following. Thank you to all who continue to work toward solving this case, both professionally and casually!

I think (and I could be mistaken) that I recall reading about a new detective who was assigned to Brian's case. That could be exciting news...I don't intend to disparage LE, but I recall thinking that CPD missed out on some critical opportunities to gather time-sensitive information during the initial investigation. Years later, I felt like they were still spinning their wheels. Perhaps some new eyes on the case could result in a new lead.

Have there been any significant updates regarding a new approach to the case? Are there plans in place to search the building complex?

Here's another image showing the Gateway Complex from the air. I've inserted a green line to demarcate the area where the two components on the structure - one component fronting and sort of paralleling High St. to the west, and the other fronting 9th St. to the south - seem to (at least from this aerial view) meet. Were I going to search for Brian's remains, I'd focus initially along that green line, as it'd seem the most likely area for a void between the two components of the structure to exist. And I'd start at the north end in the Gateway Film Center space, since that is where the stench was reported.

bs-map-png.245156

Your images are helpful. The green line is a substantial search area, but it may be possible to search the perimeter you delineated. Access could be an obstacle, depending on whether the spaces are occupied and where the walls are accessible. I think if I were doing an investigation at this site, I might start with thermal imaging. The quality of professional grade thermography equipment has steadily improved, and it is a non destructive technique. Given the likely existence of voids to accommodate the site alignment, one could expect some large voids. In addition to roof drain lines, a myriad of other components could be inside, such as fire protection equipment or electrical conduits. The elevator shaft area is a less likely area, especially if the elevator was a hydraulic elevator. A hydraulic elevator has a deep tube for a piston, but usually minimal machinery below, although there’s still a concrete elevator pit.

Perhaps there’s a copy of the construction documents in the Columbus building department - some building departments retain documents submitted for permits. The construction documents dating from 2006 would be essential for a thorough search.

The stench that building occupants and users reported could be very significant, and if there were people who could explain where the odor was strongest, the search could be concentrated there. Of course a body might not be exactly where the stench was intense. Instead, the odor could have been conveyed to the area by a duct or opening from a void. It is less likely that a body under a floor slab would be the source of a strong odor. In my opinion, however the tragedy occurred, Brian would likely be in a wall or a closed in void under a stairway.

Probes in hollow walls, such as steel studs with gypsum board faces, could be done with fiber optic probes inserted into small openings. Steel studs, especially drywall studs, usually have knockouts or holes that could allow a fiber optic probe to examine a large concealed area without a lot of demolition.

Last edited:
Wow...I'm checking in on this case for the first time in five or six years. I've spent the last few hours perusing dozens of the pages of comments. While it is unfortunate that there hasn't been a solution, it's great to see that Brian's case still has a sizable (and growing) following. Thank you to all who continue to work toward solving this case, both professionally and casually!

I think (and I could be mistaken) that I recall reading about a new detective who was assigned to Brian's case. That could be exciting news...I don't intend to disparage LE, but I recall thinking that CPD missed out on some critical opportunities to gather time-sensitive information during the initial investigation. Years later, I felt like they were still spinning their wheels. Perhaps some new eyes on the case could result in a new lead.

Have there been any significant updates regarding a new approach to the case? Are there plans in place to search the building complex?
As far as I know, no activity at all from CPD and no plans in place to re-search the complex using newer technology (nothing against dogs, but that was a bit old-school even 14 years ago) ... CPD has been pretty passive over the years, and the owner of the complex, OSU, has been completely passive and hasn't so much as lifted a finger for it's alumnus, Brian Shaffer. Then there is family. Oftentimes, parents agitate for years in cases like this. Sadly for Brian, his were lost.

Last edited:

Welcome to Ws juan1, regarding Brian's case (and many others) hope springs eternal!

These are all good logical points but I still struggle to get past the fact that Kelly (@Looking4Brian ) and her co-host from the Comeback podcast are insistent with near certainty that Brian did leave the bar/building that night.

That said, this could easily be semantics if he left the bar and succumbed to the craggy construction area. Still so much that just doesn’t make sense.

These are all good logical points but I still struggle to get past the fact that Kelly (@Looking4Brian ) and her co-host from the Comeback podcast are insistent with near certainty that Brian did leave the bar/building that night.

I think Kelly is insistent that Brian left the bar because that is what she has been told ad nauseam by CPD detectives who worked on the case. It makes sense to believe them, as they are the ones with the most info on the investigation; however, CPD are the ones who performed the cadaver dog search of the premises. It would look pretty bad on them if Brian was, in fact, in the building and missed by the dogs. They have a vested interest in him not being there.

If we were in the early stages of an active investigation and needed to move quickly, I would agree that we should dismiss the construction theory should focus on what happened after the bar. The issue here is that it's been >14 years and the case is ice cold. We need to take a step back and re-evaluate everything, including the possibility that he never made it out of the complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
happy.af.wtf