OH OH - Carnell Sledge, 40, & Katherine Brown, 33, shot dead in park, Cleveland, 4 Jun 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Does anyone else think this was completely random? That the shooter had no connection to Kate or Nell?

Because with how last minute their meetup was, I don't see how anyone could have anticipated them being there at all.

Kinda getting Zodiac vibes, and Son of Sam. That kind of shooter who attacks people, often couples, in public places.

MOO
It could be completely random. I’m on the fence…maybe random or one of the victims was followed. Zodiac or Son of Sam type killer is worth investigating. Do you know of other murders committed in a similar style to this one that occurred in Ohio parks? I’ll do some research myself and see what I find.

Does anyone else think this was completely random? That the shooter had no connection to Kate or Nell?

Because with how last minute their meetup was, I don't see how anyone could have anticipated them being there at all.

Kinda getting Zodiac vibes, and Son of Sam. That kind of shooter who attacks people, often couples, in public places.

MOO
It seems random, maybe somebody had a cool silencer for a gun and wanted to use it that day?
A sourpuss, feeling extra mean and nasty, lurking in the bushes, waiting for just the right moment and the right victims to annihilate.
Random - random people-hater, shoot the first human, or couple to sit on that bench?
speculation, imo.

It seems random, maybe somebody had a cool silencer for a gun and wanted to use it that day?
A sourpuss, feeling extra mean and nasty, lurking in the bushes, waiting for just the right moment and the right victims to annihilate.
Random - random people-hater, shoot the first human, or couple to sit on that bench?
speculation, imo.

I once thought it might have been random or a stranger targeting them. There have been Neo-Nazi, white supremacist groups who try to recruit and intimidate people on that side of town. LE says they found no evidence of that.

LE (including FBI) says that they believe its someone who knew them. JMO, there's more information LE has about the killer, but they can't make it public. Metroparks police are the lead investigators. They don't have much, if any, experience in murder investigation, gathering enough evidence to make an arrest. There were probably clues and evidence missed, people not questioned, etc.

IMO Much was missed because the Metroparks Police agency had no experience with murders. Although it should be said that there has been a subsequent murder in a Metropark within the past several years and that was solved.

As I've said for years here, I highly doubt it was random. The odds of coming across a homicidal maniac or homicidal racist in a random park in broad daylight are very low. The odds of doing so within 5 minutes of arriving are astronomical.

I will say, I still don't have her that high on my list of suspects, but the ex-girlfriend of Carnell said a few strange things in the show.

She said that she and Carnell had been talking again for a little while. Then she says definitively that they "WERE going to get back together." As far as I see it, you've either have agreed to get back together or you haven't. Saying you "were" going to get back together when one of the people is dead and can't agree to do so (and apparently hadn't yet agreed at the time of his death) is strange. Maybe it's just an emotional thing and she wants to be seen as more like a widow and not the way people are treating her.

The other thing is that she said she knew nothing of Carnell and Kate's friendship dynamics. I understand that it was also stated that when either was in a relationship, they'd pull back a little bit, presumably because they were now receiving emotional support from the opposite sex from their partners. But it's still odd that she knew nothing of it if they were close friends. People have pointed to the strangeness of Carnell's family having no idea who Kate was. It was a little weird, but not so much given the age at which their friendship began and the geography of Cleveland (Carnell, Kate and Kate's family were all West Side-based, Carnell's family is East Side-based). But his girlfriend not knowing anything about their dynamics is almost weirder, although I assume she knew who Kate was at least.

Wondering now, if the cars belonging to each of the victims, were checked for tracking devices? imo.
“I wake up, the first thing I think of is my beautiful daughter, our daughter, their sister, shot in the head, laying face down in a polluted, muddy river and somebody just walks away.” Her sister, Lauren Rao, expressed how grave Kate’s loss was and how much she misses her. Kate’s other sister, Alexandra Zuban, initially suspected one of her former partners she met through a dating app. Meanwhile, her mother, Kim Brown, hoped to get some closure and justice for her daughter by capturing the killer/s. She said, “I would like for our family and Nell’s family to have closure, to at least know who did it and possibly by knowing who did it, why they did it.”

Last edited:
I will say, I still don't have her that high on my list of suspects, but the ex-girlfriend of Carnell said a few strange things in the show.

She said that she and Carnell had been talking again for a little while. Then she says definitively that they "WERE going to get back together." As far as I see it, you've either have agreed to get back together or you haven't. Saying you "were" going to get back together when one of the people is dead and can't agree to do so (and apparently hadn't yet agreed at the time of his death) is strange. Maybe it's just an emotional thing and she wants to be seen as more like a widow and not the way people are treating her.

The other thing is that she said she knew nothing of Carnell and Kate's friendship dynamics. I understand that it was also stated that when either was in a relationship, they'd pull back a little bit, presumably because they were now receiving emotional support from the opposite sex from their partners. But it's still odd that she knew nothing of it if they were close friends. People have pointed to the strangeness of Carnell's family having no idea who Kate was. It was a little weird, but not so much given the age at which their friendship began and the geography of Cleveland (Carnell, Kate and Kate's family were all West Side-based, Carnell's family is East Side-based). But his girlfriend not knowing anything about their dynamics is almost weirder, although I assume she knew who Kate was at least.
Yeah, I noted the 'were going to get back together '. Could be just straight up denial.

I didn't take her not knowing Kate as weird, though, because Nell's own parents said they didn't know about Kate, and they'd been friends for a decade.

MOO

RSBM - The term "silencer" is an incorrect term created by Hollywood. The proper term is suppressor. I've fired guns with suppressors on them and, unlike in movies where the gun is almost completely silent, you would be surprised how loud they still are. Even a relatively small caliber (.22 Long Rifle) firearm with a suppressor still produces a sound level around 108-120 decibels. For comparison, a jackhammer produces a sound level around 110 decibels and an ambulance siren is around 120 decibels.

RSBM - The term "silencer" is an incorrect term created by Hollywood. The proper term is suppressor. I've fired guns with suppressors on them and, unlike in movies where the gun is almost completely silent, you would be surprised how loud they still are. Even a relatively small caliber (.22 Long Rifle) firearm with a suppressor still produces a sound level around 108-120 decibels. For comparison, a jackhammer produces a sound level around 110 decibels and an ambulance siren is around 120 decibels.
Yeah, suppressors are quietER, not quiet.

@GoBuckeyes suggested a few years ago that maybe the killer might have used an improvised suppressor like a water bottle, but to my knowledge, a 'soda silencer' is only really good for one shot, and it's still only quietER. Also, it would have left the scene covered in fragments of whatever the silencer was made of (like PET plastic).

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thundercoyote
Back