Deceased/Not Found OH - Carrie Culberson, 22, Blanchester, 28 Aug 1996 - #1 *V. Doan guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
sosorry,

Do you have a newlink to verify that a new trial has been granted?

tybee204 said:
sosorry,

Do you have a newlink to verify that a new trial has been granted?

Darlin, it looks like you and I have exactly the same thought. Lots of people supporting prisoners "hear" a lot of things - don't make it so. :cool:

This is the latest news article I found during a quick search - I may have missed something though:

Wednesday, March 01, 2000
Doan loses appeal

BY STEVE KEMME
The Cincinnati Enquirer
MIDDLETOWN — An appeals court has upheld the conviction of Vincent Doan for kidnapping and killing his girlfriend, Carrie Culberson.

In a case that attracted national attention, a Clinton County Common Pleas Court jury convicted Mr. Doan in 1997 of aggravated murder and was sentenced to life in prison.

Ms. Culberson, 22, of Blanchester, disappeared in August 1996, and Mr. Doan was the last person seen with her. Her body was never found.

Mr. Doan's attorneys contended that he deserved a new trial, saying common pleas court made 11 errors.

But all three 12th District Court of Appeals judges who reviewed the case ruled this week that Mr. Doan received a fair trial and that the evidence supported his conviction.

Mr. Doan's attorneys said they will appeal the ruling to the Ohio Supreme Court.

Ms. Culberson and Mr. Doan had a tempestuous relationship, according to several witnesses who testified in the trial. Mr. Doan beat her on several occasions, they said.

His brother, Tracy Baker, is serving an eight-year prison sentence for helping cover up the crime. He has appealed his conviction to the 12th District Court of Appeals, but the court hasn't ruled yet.

Lori Baker, who was living with her ex-husband, Tracy Baker, testified that Mr. Doan came to their house in the early morning hours of Aug. 29 covered with blood and wearing only a pair of jeans.

She said Mr. Doan and Mr. Baker left the house with garbage bags and a gun.

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2000/03/01/loc_doan_loses_appeal.html

I was informed that he was getting a new trial and I read the cinci. paper about all you wrote. He might and he might not. :eek: I was just stating that I read and was told he was. sorry if I affended anyone. :(
I am not for vince or carrie. :innocent: but only for justice and god bless. :angel:

read todays paper (cinci,ohio) online under doans new trial.
also I am close to info.and was TOLD by a very upstanding and reliable source. ok
I dont mean to take away or condone anything about this case.
Just state'n a fact!

Here's one article I found from the Cincinnati Post:

Killer requests new trial
Lawyer: Doan's trial 'a circus'
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Mike Rutledge
Post staff reporter

Vincent Doan, convicted of murdering Carrie Culberson of Blanchester in 1996, should receive a new trial because several parts of his trial were flawed, his attorney is arguing in federal court.
The 1997 trial was harmed by "saturation" media coverage beforehand and flawed jury instructions. Also, prosecutors failed to disclose key information to defense lawyers -- including that a witness had some of her memories enhanced through hypnosis -- Doan lawyer Kort Gatterdam argued.

"The media frenzy made the trial a circus," Gatterdam wrote in a 41-page motion filed last week in U.S. District Court in Cincinnati.

Doan is serving a sentence of life without parole at Mansfield Correctional Institution for aggravated murder and kidnapping. Culberson was 22 when she disappeared. Her body has never been found.

"I really don't hear anything new there, and I think that he's grasping at straws," Cincinnati lawyer Al Gerhardstein, who represents the Culberson family, said of Doan's filing.

Investigators this spring searched beneath the floor of a barn in Blanchester, but did not find remains.

"The state courts have rejected all his arguments, and wisely so," Gerhardstein said. Gatterdam, noting it took the jury four days to return a verdict, argued the jurors had specifically asked about a day and a half into its deliberations to rehear the instructions on evidence.

http://www.cincypost.com/2004/07/10/doan071004.html

LET ME SEE WHAT ELSE I CAN FIND . . .

So sorry - Sosorry. It appears that you misread the article. His attorneys are arguing in federal court why they THINK he should get a new trial. The federal court can take months and months and months before they render a verdict on the attorney's argument. However, since other courts of appeal have upheld the conviction, it doesn't look good for Vincent.

thanks for the info. I just hope that no matter what happens in this case we think about those in pain for any reason.(both families). god bless them.

sosorry said:
thanks for the info. I just hope that no matter what happens in this case we think about those in pain for any reason.(both families). god bless them.

Yes, I agree. Regardless of what Vincent, his father and his brother did, there must be other family members who are law abiding and regret what their family members did to this poor girl and are continuing to do to her friends and family.

Ghastly

You know what I want to know?!?!?!?
Why is it that if you are found inocent and they find you next to the dead body after words that they can't re-try you (double jeopardy)? But if you are found guilty you can get as many trials as 300 different judges in the state might be willing to give you? This is disguisting :mad:
Carrie's Mother and Sister I am sorry :(
I hope they have a wonderful support system to have to go through this again.

BUTTER

Call For DNA Database Of Unidentified Remains

LAST UPDATE: 7/14/2004 6:55:06 PM

The mother of a missing local woman rode a bus to the nation's capital to push for a new law that could help find her daughter's remains.Carrie Culberson of Blanchester disappeared in 1996. Her body has never been found.
Right now there is no law requiring remains that are found be entered in a national database. Debbie Culberson says she believes the only hope for finding her daughter's remains is in Washington, D.C.
"I've been trying to get some kind of law mandating testing of remains," said Culberson.
In her daughter's case, there is evidence boyfriend Vince Doan killed then dismembered Carrie casting the parts into the Ohio River.
"She could be sitting on someone's shelf. Without testing I'll never know," said Culberson.
She spoke with Congressman Steve Chabot, R-Ohio. He is on the Judiciary Committee which has jurisdiction over federal criminal matters.
It won't be the first time this has been brought up. The Justice Department invited some of the finest forensic minds to talk about the same issue last fall.
The Justice Department recently approved more than 80 million dollars for DNA testing, but not DNA testing of remains. Congressman Chabot says that is overdue.
Investigators plan to contact police departments along the Ohio river to see if any unidentified remains have washed up that could be tested and compared with Carrie's DNA.

direct article link:

http://www.wkrc.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=F508A608-576B-4AA5-93C5-66DC6A307A8D

wow, that is some info you just told us. Thats very loving of Carries mother to do so much for others.I am sure it helps with her grieving too.
I pray that Carrie will be found, if only enough to account for her.( if you know what I mean).What makes them so sure shes in the Ohio river?
Is that source very reliable? How come now one says anything about
Tracy getting out soon? WWhats with talking about this case?
Can we not do it here? Or is this only for information?
:banghead:

sosorry said:
Whats with talking about this case? Can we not do it here? Or is this only for information?:banghead:
I think most of us have put ourselves on a time out due to the inappropriate posts earlier. This thread had become a major embarrassment and I think a lot of us are letting our emotions cool down a bit. I don't ignore this thread but do not want to inadvertantly incite someone or be disrepectful to Carrie and her family and those who have dedicated themselves to finding her.

I guess this is a case of the left hand not talking to the right hand. The US Justice department formed a federal task force last September to work on an initiative to put all DNA from missing persons and unidentified remains in CODIS or another national database. It's a logistics nightmare since unidentified remains are buried, stuck in lab cabinets, etc.

John Bish and I spoke to the task force last year. It contains some great forensic anthropologists and law enforcement representatives and they are still having regular meetings.

Here is the report I wrote on the initiative. rachelcookesearch.org/DNAmeeting

Snorky -

There have been many inappropriate messages pertaining to Carrie and her case. We've made an educated decision that we keep this board strictly for things on task. I appreciate you continuing to look in on Carrie's thread. Mr. Cooke, thank-you for sharing this information about the DNA with us. This is type of information that is helpful to those of us searching for Ms. Culberson.
Thank you

Vince was found to have murdered Carrie and sentenced to LWOP by a jury of his peers. So, the real murderer -- VINCE -- is where he should be. If I were a betting person - I would bet that Vince will NOT get a new trial. I have no vested interest one way or the other. I firmly believe that Vince is the murderer who thought that he was smart enough to get away with the crime. Well, he wasn't.

So sad that his relatives and friends (or at least some of them) can't or won't understand the tragedy of taking one's life. I doubt that Carrie's remains or her car will ever be found. I just hope and pray that Debra and her family can find some peace in this lifetime. If I were she, I would move far away from that town.

I totally agree with you Nan. I just find it repulsive that those that support this convicted murderer use the tactic of attacking the victim and the victims family in an attempt to deflect his accountability. I also agree that odd's of the convicted murderer recieving a new trial are scarce and the only benefit of it would be perhaps the next time around he would recieve the DP rather then LWOP.

tybee204 said:
I totally agree with you Nan. I just find it repulsive that those that support this convicted murderer use the tactic of attacking the victim and the victims family in an attempt to deflect his accountability. I also agree that odd's of the convicted murderer recieving a new trial are scarce and the only benefit of it would be perhaps the next time around he would recieve the DP rather then LWOP.
Agree Tybee. Wanted to add I love your siggy and really love your caption!

I am not anyone other than myself,No relation to any side.Dont care to be.
Not a friend or fo.I just want to say one thing.EDITTED BY AMRA FOR ATTACK
You all need to back up.I keep telling you to back up on info.yYou guys need to look at it all over again.Guess every one but me missed it. :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee