OH OH - Chillicothe/Middletown Missing/Murdered, Possible Serial Killer

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was looking at the cold case threads on Websleuths and I accidentally came across these unsolved murder cases from Springfield, Ohio.

It looks like the Springfield cases may have some similarities with the Chillicothe cases.

Springfield, Clark County detectives probe cold cases for connections
10 dead Clark County women not forgotten

All of the victims were known to be involved with drugs and some of them worked as prostitutes.

Some were last seen in the same area of Springfield before their deaths, the West Main Street corridor.

All of their bodies were found dumped outdoors — in parks, bodies of water or fields — although their causes of death differed. Some were strangled, some beaten, some were found so long after their deaths that an exact cause couldn’t be determined.

Sources:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news...clark-county-detectives-probe-cold-cas/nhSqW/

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?64746-OH-Angela-Kilgore-37-Springfield-22-Oct-2007

I was looking at the cold case threads on Websleuths and I accidentially came across these unsolved murder cases from Springfield, Ohio.

It looks like the Springfield cases may have some similarities with the Chillicothe cases.

Springfield, Clark County detectives probe cold cases for connections
10 dead Clark County women not forgotten

All of the victims were known to be involved with drugs and some of them worked as prostitutes.

Some were last seen in the same area of Springfield before their deaths, the West Main Street corridor.

All of their bodies were found dumped outdoors — in parks, bodies of water or fields — although their causes of death differed. Some were strangled, some beaten, some were found so long after their deaths that an exact cause couldn’t be determined.

Sources:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news...clark-county-detectives-probe-cold-cas/nhSqW/

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?64746-OH-Angela-Kilgore-37-Springfield-22-Oct-2007

Surely they checked out Sapp? http://maamodt.asp.radford.edu/Psyc 405/serial killers/Sapp, William.pdf

He's been in jail since the mid nineties and in Florida till 91.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True but he has family in Springfield and it's possible he visited at times, he ended up moving back eventually.

From the above link, Kelly seems to think the ones after 97 aren't related. Maybe the task force should contact him?

The other thing that frustrates Kelly is the sudden stop in similar crimes.
If the same person was responsible for the women’s deaths, he wonders what happened after Memorial Day of 1997, when Vanculin’s body was discovered dumped along the railroad tracks at East Possum Road.
“Did this person go to prison? Is he dead? Or did he move to another location and another community has experienced this type of multiple tragedies?” Kelly said.

http://mobile.10tv.com/wbns10tv/db_338599/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=WczzfDNe

Chillicothe Police Reporting New Missing Woman

10TV Web Staff

07/17/2015 3:24 PM

Chillicothe Police are reporting a new missing woman case in Ross County.

Authorities have identified her as 30-year-old Loretta Lawson of Chillicothe.

She was last seen four to five days ago at 129 N. Bridge Street.

Lawson-McCrary is described as 5’6’’, 130 pounds with brown hair and hazel eyes. She was last seen wearing white shorts and an unknown shirt according to police.

If anyone has seen her or knows of her possible whereabouts, please contact the Chillicothe Police Department at (740) 773-1191, the Ross County Sheriff’s Office at (740) 773-1185, the Ohio State Highway Patrol at (740) 775-7770 or 911.

Earlier this month, the FBI joined in on the efforts to located the missing Chillicothe women. Trego went missing May 2014 and Lemons disappeared last December.

Trego is 28-years-old, white, 5’4” tall, 160 pounds with brown hair and blue eyes.

Lemons is white, 5’7” tall, 135 pounds with brown hair and blue eyes.

Chillicothe Police Officer*Bud Lytle said it's too soon to connect this missing woman case to the others. He says their primary concern right now is trying to locate her as quickly as possible. ]

http://mobile.10tv.com/wbns10tv/db_338599/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=WczzfDNe

Chillicothe Police Reporting New Missing Woman

10TV Web Staff

07/17/2015 3:24 PM

Chillicothe Police are reporting a new missing woman case in Ross County.

Authorities have identified her as 30-year-old Loretta Lawson of Chillicothe.

She was last seen four to five days ago at 129 N. Bridge Street.

Lawson-McCrary is described as 5’6’’, 130 pounds with brown hair and hazel eyes. She was last seen wearing white shorts and an unknown shirt according to police.

If anyone has seen her or knows of her possible whereabouts, please contact the Chillicothe Police Department at (740) 773-1191, the Ross County Sheriff’s Office at (740) 773-1185, the Ohio State Highway Patrol at (740) 775-7770 or 911.

Earlier this month, the FBI joined in on the efforts to located the missing Chillicothe women. Trego went missing May 2014 and Lemons disappeared last December.

Trego is 28-years-old, white, 5’4” tall, 160 pounds with brown hair and blue eyes.

Lemons is white, 5’7” tall, 135 pounds with brown hair and blue eyes.

Chillicothe Police Officer*Bud Lytle said it's too soon to connect this missing woman case to the others. He says their primary concern right now is trying to locate her as quickly as possible. ]

Oh no....I hope they are able to find Loretta Lawson quickly. The FBI are already involved in the previous cases, so it is likely that they will help with this.

On another note, the photo of Loretta Lawson in the article looks like a mugshot. So, it appears that she has been in trouble before. This was the case with many of the other missing Chilicothe women too. Worrisome. Scary.

FWIW Someone on the local forum is stating she's been found.

That link updated, she was found safe at someone's house. Thank goodness!

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

So I know there is still doubt on whether there is a SK or not, and I sometimes have my doubts, too, but just one question keeps me thinking it could be. Why are only women being found? Or is it only women? Have men been found, too, and the news just isn't reporting it? Do people die this often in such a concentrated area and the news is only making a big deal of it for a story (like they are wont to do).

I know we can't associate every found body near Chillicothe to a SK, but not far outside of Chillicothe (about 2 hours, give or take) a woman was found dumped outside of a Citibank (in Kentucky). No signs of trauma. Apparently wrapped in a white or canvas material. I think they said she had her shirt pulled up. The area doesn't resemble the (potential) SK's most recent dumping spots, but it's possible she OD'd and that's really similar to OH cases. The age, the way she was dumped, the possible death. So maybe a copycat? But why not dump her near water?

I guess I just want to know am I forcing pieces together? Does this sort of thing happen more than I realize?

I'm new to researching true crime so I really only have Hollywood to go off of and if there is one thing I know, it's that Hollywood and real life aren't as much the same as I'd like to think. But I also know this seems like a lot of women dying and not a lot of men, so I can't just assume it's only drug overdoses. Men do drugs, too. If it's a bad batch of something, wouldn't we be finding them turning up in seemingly random locations.

Which is another thing. Most of the Chillicothe women seem to have been found in what I'm assuming are not places you just end up at on your own. Ditches and state parks and all that. I would think if you're hooking for drugs, you'd probably stay near the hotel you're hooking in. But I don't know, i could be wrong.

I just have so many thoughts on this. And I don't know which are right.

Thanks for reading.

So I know there is still doubt on whether there is a SK or not, and I sometimes have my doubts, too, but just one question keeps me thinking it could be. Why are only women being found? Or is it only women? Have men been found, too, and the news just isn't reporting it? Do people die this often in such a concentrated area and the news is only making a big deal of it for a story (like they are wont to do).

I know we can't associate every found body near Chillicothe to a SK, but not far outside of Chillicothe (about 2 hours, give or take) a woman was found dumped outside of a Citibank (in Kentucky). No signs of trauma. Apparently wrapped in a white or canvas material. I think they said she had her shirt pulled up. The area doesn't resemble the (potential) SK's most recent dumping spots, but it's possible she OD'd and that's really similar to OH cases. The age, the way she was dumped, the possible death. So maybe a copycat? But why not dump her near water?

I guess I just want to know am I forcing pieces together? Does this sort of thing happen more than I realize?

I'm new to researching true crime so I really only have Hollywood to go off of and if there is one thing I know, it's that Hollywood and real life aren't as much the same as I'd like to think. But I also know this seems like a lot of women dying and not a lot of men, so I can't just assume it's only drug overdoses. Men do drugs, too. If it's a bad batch of something, wouldn't we be finding them turning up in seemingly random locations.

Which is another thing. Most of the Chillicothe women seem to have been found in what I'm assuming are not places you just end up at on your own. Ditches and state parks and all that. I would think if you're hooking for drugs, you'd probably stay near the hotel you're hooking in. But I don't know, i could be wrong.

Thanks for reading.

VERY good point about the amount of women vs men. And I agree with the thoughts about the locations the women have been found it does seem odd. It almost seems like places a person would think seem like likely places for prostitutes to turn up dead. Sometimes prostitutes do go with their "clients" but the ones known to work out of hotels are more likely to have stayed at the hotel. No point in paying for a room if you're going to leave anyway.

Thanks for reading.

I am from that area the woman in Florence was found. I think that was a drug over dose dump. Her friends or boyfriend probably dumped her to avoid detection.

Thanks for reading.

It feels like there has to be a connection but, sadly, I think women are more trusting. I feel like women who are mothers sometimes feel desperation to provide for their children even if it means putting themselves in jeopardy. My opinion, as I have already posted before, is that drugs are the biggest connector in all these cases. It's hard to understand that lifestyle if you're not familiar. I see it every day in the newspaper I work for. Young women used and abused by these drug and sex traffickers. I am very sad that we have to report on the death of a 34 year old woman who was found dead here last night. We are 2 1/2 hours from Chilly. I do not think they are related. It's just sad, sad coincidence, no doubt because of similar lifestyles.

Thanks for reading.

We know both Timberly's and Tiffany's cases were ruled homicide so at least 2 weren't ODs.

Here are my thoughts concerning the women from Chillicothe that have disappeared.

At this present time, I believe that the disappearances and murders are drug related.

One possibility to consider is that the disappearances and murders were committed by someone who is seeking personal revenge against the missing women.

It’s possible that someone has blamed the missing women for being responsible for introducing a family member or friend into drugs or for causing the death of a family member or friend from a drug overdose.

Another possibility to consider is that the disappearances and murders were committed by an enforcer from a drug trafficking ring.

It’s possible that the missing women could have owned money to a drug dealer, or didn’t turn in all of the profits to a drug dealer for selling drugs, or maybe stole the drugs from a drug dealer by using the drugs for themselves rather than selling it.

Any thoughts about revenge as being a possible motive for the disappearances and murders?

Nah. Drug dealers don't kill people who owe money. They want as many people hooked as they can and they get their payment one way or another.
No if you try to rob or steal from a drug dealer, that's another story.

Drugs and serial killers are not mutually exclusive categories. I think because of the inherent dangers of the lifestyle, it's too easy to see only that and not see that the victims are prey for a predator. It may have something to do with the choice of the victim, and in this case it looks like the drug issue may have something to do with how the victims are selected, but it's not just about the drugs.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clm79
Back