OH - Christie Mullins, 14, Columbus, 23 Aug 1975 *killer died*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
They should re-open it

Saw a report last week on Facebook by a local station in Columbus. Later on that evening they showed a clip about this case and how friends and family are petitioning to reopen it. For some reason it bugged me and I wanted to and I googled it. Ran into an article last year were an author was interested, I assume that is you Nycsleuth. Forgive me if I assumed wrong. Stumbled on this website and read many details provided by Nerosleuth.
My compliments to you and your research. Many of you ask great questions.

Now I am curious to what the weather was that day. I assume it was hot because August and that the girls were swimming. The reason I ask is because it was said that Carol walked into the store/mall yet Christie sat on the railing. Now I don't know if stores had AC in them by 1975 or not, at least something to keep it cool. Why would Christie not go into the store with Carol if it was a hot day; especially if it is cooler inside?

Also, if Christie was interested in this contest too why would she not be interested in finding out if it was going on as well?

It was mentioned that Carol received a call from a D.J with a hillbilly accent. Wasn't the MW and his brother from the south?

It was 93 degrees that day, very muggy. My guess is the store had A/C, but it's questionable whether Christie was even there at Woolco that day.
Yes, both guys had southern accents--the older brother more so (his nickname was "Alabama").

Christie probably didn't make it into the Woolco that day is my guess too. Now why would Carol go into the Woolco without shoes? Now I understand why if Carol was meeting the MW, Christie stumbles upon them, and never makes it into the Woolco. Let's say Christie does make it to the Woolco with Carol. Why would Carol take them off? I believe an earlier post mentioned the "no shoes, no service" policy was in effect during the 70s, so why take them off before going in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Her story was she she took her shoes off for fear she'd be accused of shoplifting them if she wore them inside.

Her story was she she took her shoes off for fear she'd be accused of shoplifting them if she wore them inside.

Or murder if they had blood on them... would be interesting to know if they ever even considered looking for her shoes.

If she even had them on in the 1st place,

The Columbus Dispatch published an article this morning about the Christie Mullins 1975 cold murder case.

E-book sparks interest in ’75 killing

The Clintonville Area Commission sent a letter to state and local officials asking for a formal review of the Christie Mullins murder case after a recent e-book article raised troubling questions about the case.

The Chairman of the Clintonville Area Commission did acknowledge that such a request is rare, but commissioners saw no harm in asking law-enforcement agencies to take another look into the Mullins case.

Franklin County Prosecutor Ron O’Brien, who then was an assistant in the prosecutor’s office and prosecuted Carmen, said by email that the case is still considered open and that tips with new information should be directed to the Police Division. No one from the police division returned calls.

The letter to the attorney general will be forwarded to the office’s Bureau of Criminal Investigation, said spokeswoman Jill Del Greco. The BCI, however, wouldn’t do an independent review unless the police requested its help.

Source:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/04/12/e-book-sparks-interest-in-75-killing.html

WebSleuths member Nycsleuth (author John Oller) asked me to post this addendum of his article, An All American Murder, for everyone on Websleuths.

The addendum has significant new information in the Christie Lynn Mullins murder case.

Attachments

• An All American Murder Addendum April 17,2014.pdf
    691.7 KB · Views: 151
I originally posted this in Jody Wilson's thread. They may be interested in Christie

There are 3 shows that may consider featuring Jodi if her parents tried to get LE to submit her case. Deadline: Crime with Tamron Hall. They recently featured Venus Rose Stewart; deceased. "Husband" serving time for murder; refuses to tell where she is. There is no video of the episode; it was shown with Innocence Lost - Entering the Rape Dungeon

Dateline & TV show looking for cold cases COLD JUSTICE IS CURRENTLY SEEKING UNSOLVED HOMICIDE CASES

COLD JUSTICE producers are seeking law enforcement agencies who could benefit from additional expert help and resources for their unsolved homicide cases and possibly be featured on COLD JUSTICE. (Please note we are currently not looking at "missing person" cases.)

SEEKING LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES
WHO COULD USE HELP WITH COLD CASES

Dick Wolf’s Wolf Films and Magical Elves (both Emmy®-winning production companies) are seeking law enforcement agencies that could benefit from additional expert help and resources for their unsolved homicide cases and possibly be featured on a new documentary series for TNT.

Our team of experts will come to your town with additional resources to help assist and advise you in your investigation of cold cases in the hopes of getting a resolution. The team includes an accomplished prosecutor and crime scene investigator with legitimate and celebrated track records, along with experienced homicide detectives.

If you have a case that you would like to be considered or would like to learn more about this program, please contact Byron Clear at (323) 790-8534 or via email at byron.clear@magicalelves.com.

Interesting, thanks. But you may be assuming that LE is interested in solving the Christie case. I would not necessarily make that assumption.

Just watched Dark Minds "Death on a Beach" episode, and was shocked at the similarities in the murders of Christie Mullins and Barbara Nantais. Both savagely beaten by an unknown assailant.
While Barbara was sexually assaulted and Christie was not there is good reason to believe that Christie would have been assaulted in the same way if the killer had not been interrupted.
Both killings took place in sized with a good sized military presence, in San Diego Navy USMC as well as USAF, in Columbus, USAF at Rickenbacker AFB and Navy at DCSC.
I may be howling at the moon here, but there similarities and Service Members do rotate between duty stations regularly.

"New Hope for Arrest in Brutal 1975 Murder of 14-Year-Old Girl CLINTONVILLE (Adam Aaro) -- The friends and family of a 14-year-old girl murdered nearly 40 years ago are asking for closure. Christie Mullins was found near the Olentangy River in Clintonville. Her killer has yet to be caught and brought to justice. But, a recently published book is helping to return attention to the teen's unsolved case. Many of the Mullins' loved ones are hoping the case may finally be solved and closed."

We've been having problems with this link. Here is the full text (there is no video):

New Hope for Arrest in Brutal 1975 Murder of 14-Year-Old Girl CLINTONVILLE (Adam Aaro) -- The friends and family of a 14-year-old girl murdered nearly 40 years ago are asking for closure. Christie Mullins was found near the Olentangy River in Clintonville. Her killer has yet to be caught and brought to justice. But, a recently published book is helping to return attention to the teen's unsolved case.

Many of the Mullins' loved ones are hoping the case may finally be solved and closed. Although Barbara Sanford and Julie Young haven't seen each other in decades, their quest for justice for an old, dear friend brought them back together. Sanford said, "I remember her being bubbly, happy. She was always smiling." It was just five days until Mullins' birthday, Sanford said, when she saw the teen for the last time. That was 1975.

Mullins and another friend asked Sanford to walk with them to a store at Graceland mall in Clintonville. "You know how you always have in your mind, if you'd just gone with them maybe things had been different. There would have been one more person there." It was during that trip to the store that Mullins vanished. Later, when Mullins was found, her body had been viciously beaten to death. "We were sure they were going to find who murdered Christie. I mean, her family and Christie deserve that. And then, nothing."

One person did go to trial for her murder. That person was acquitted. Now, these friends on a quest for justice say they hope that justice for Mullins can still be found.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuriousNelly61
Back