OH - Clermont County father lined up sons 3, 4, and 7, executed with rifle, mother injured trying to protect them, June 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
In my opinion I don't see mental illness, other than being a worthless bully changing it up to murder, because even constantly yelling at the whole family didn't work anymore. As others have guessed, I too think we'll find out she was leaving.

He was manipulative from when the le arrived, shouting at the dog, asking to be repositioned because he was uncomfortable (!). (And his being within a few yards of his executed kids!!). Then asking the cop to take out his wallet, why? And what we suspect he was referring to in court. This wasn't a guy numb with the realization of what he did. He was content.

Those tears weren't for sorrow. Imo, rather for affect. Notice he openly grits his teeth during his brief tear episode, I don't think a tooth display would accompany sudden grief hitting a person who snapped. Instead it would be sudden slack mouth. He had plenty of time before the tears to realize he had "snapped", imo.

I'm curious if he had a history of rejection by women who always left after seeing past the farm boy good looks. Also I suspect he could never keep a job with his angry personality.
Yes and I watched the DM preview video of him being grabbed by the cop when he was arrested, and it loops over and over. Even in that moment he was trying to assert control. He refused to get up when commanded. Then, he refused to lie down, and the cop had to knee him in the back to make him lie flat. Even then he tried to keep his arms up so we would not be lying flat.

And then of course he said it was "uncomfortable".

I saw his body language and his mannerisms and he reminded me of so many narcissistic bullies I have known.

Still too much I don't know for me to try to guess at this point.

JMO
As usual, these things tend to follow patterns:

"In almost every case, the familicide is premeditated and the perpetrator views his family members as property, such that he maintains the right to end their lives (Scheinin, Rogers, & Sathyavagiswaran, 2011, p. 327). Regardless of motive or history, this typically stems from the belief that they are solely responsible for their family’s needs (Marzuk, 1992, p. 3181). Perpetrators need to maintain their masculinity, which is tied to the family unit, as well as control and power over their family members. When these factors are threatened, they act out against the family violently and fatally (Yardley, Wilson, & Lynes, 2014, p. 131). When fearing abandonment, offenders adopt a Medea complex (‘if I cannot have them, no-one can’), exemplified through the murders (Liem & Koenraadt, 2008, p. 315)...

A review of familicide literature across various different times and locations revealed repeated patterns of dissatisfaction, marital strife, possessive and controlling tendencies, as well as economic, emotional, verbal, physical, sexual, and social domestic abuse. Most offenders also threatened to hurt themselves and/or others, including their spouse, if the spouse attempted to leave the offender or have extramarital relations (Johnson & Sachmann, 2017, p. 139). Marital disputes, isolation from the spouse, divorce, and custody disputes over children are other accelerants to familicide, as the offender becomes overly focused on violent behavior as a means of stress relief (Scheinin et al., 2011, p. 329)...

Remorse. All surviving fathers insisted that they previously loved and continue to love their children deeply, displayed signs of mourning, and described their children’s murder from the perspective of a bystander. The fathers separate themselves from their crimes, viewing their anger as the offender rather than the self. In their rage, all objects were viewed as evil and in need to be destroyed. Post-offense reflection shows dichotomized views of the murdered, such that the suffering caused by the family member and their murder are separated from the actual individual and their immortalization in the mind of the offender (Malmquist, 1980, p. 303)...

The typical perpetrator of familicide is the male head of household who is either depressed, paranoid, or intoxicated (Marzuk, 1992, p. 3181). Common themes emerge among all familicide perpetrators. For one, offenders hold the belief that they have a right over their family members’ lives (Scheinin et al., 2011, p. 329). Relatedly, they maintain the need for power, such that murder begets feelings of control (Fox & Levin, 2003, pp. 58-59). In most cases of familicide, the spouse was the primary source of the offenders’ anger, where the children were viewed as supporters or extensions of their mother (Wilson et al., 1995, p. 289)...

The hostile accusatory offender is angry at his spouse for infidelity and/or attempts to separate and he often expresses open displays of violence and anger prior to the murder...

More recently, in a 2008 analysis of offenders with disabilities, four distinct categories of offending motives were rendered: narcissistic rage (26%), psychosis (22%), fear of abandonment (22%) and ‘other’ (30%) (Liem & Koenraadt, 2008, p. 313). The accepted profiles today are selfrighteous, disappointed, anomic, and paranoid (Yardley et al., 2014, p. 131)...

Self-Righteous. The most common classification, categorizing 32% of offenders, was the self-righteous profile. These perpetrators blame their spouse for the collapse of the family unit and all other life problems, which elicits a desire to retaliate against them. This offender type holds the nuclear family unit and their sole ability to support them at the center of their masculinity. The family is viewed as a failure when the father cannot provide or other people provide in place of him for the family. The offender attempts to regain control and power by eliminating the family whom he designates is the primary threat against his success. This offender often has a history of controlling, narcissistic, and dramatic behavior, which may also occur during the murders (Yardley et al., 2014, pp. 131-133)...

Disappointed. The disappointed offender also views the family as vital to his masculinity and maintains that the family must represent the offender’s idyllic representation of a family unit to be successful. When the family does not conform to this prototype, the perpetrator becomes outraged and views the family as a failure. His solution to this problem is to destroy the family through murder. These offenders represented 29% of total familicide offenders (Yardley et al., 2014, pp. 134-135)...

All offenders categorized as self-righteous offenders were primarily motivated by family breakdown. Domestic violence and separation were prominent features in these cases. Multiple cases had features of jealousy, custody disputes, and spousal affairs. Offender histories of mental illness or legal involvement were also present in some cases. 80% of self-righteous offenders killed their victims by shooting and only one offender used multiple methods of murder. All but two of the self-righteous offenders committed suicide."

This was the best compilation of studies I have seen, regarding family annihilators. So much more at link (49 pages).

Yes and I watched the DM preview video of him being grabbed by the cop when he was arrested, and it loops over and over. Even in that moment he was trying to assert control. He refused to get up when commanded. Then, he refused to lie down, and the cop had to knee him in the back to make him lie flat. Even then he tried to keep his arms up so we would not be lying flat.

And then of course he said it was "uncomfortable".

I saw his body language and his mannerisms and he reminded me of so many narcissistic bullies I have known.
Had the attitude of “make me” going!

As usual, these things tend to follow patterns:

"In almost every case, the familicide is premeditated and the perpetrator views his family members as property, such that he maintains the right to end their lives (Scheinin, Rogers, & Sathyavagiswaran, 2011, p. 327). Regardless of motive or history, this typically stems from the belief that they are solely responsible for their family’s needs (Marzuk, 1992, p. 3181). Perpetrators need to maintain their masculinity, which is tied to the family unit, as well as control and power over their family members. When these factors are threatened, they act out against the family violently and fatally (Yardley, Wilson, & Lynes, 2014, p. 131). When fearing abandonment, offenders adopt a Medea complex (‘if I cannot have them, no-one can’), exemplified through the murders (Liem & Koenraadt, 2008, p. 315)...

A review of familicide literature across various different times and locations revealed repeated patterns of dissatisfaction, marital strife, possessive and controlling tendencies, as well as economic, emotional, verbal, physical, sexual, and social domestic abuse. Most offenders also threatened to hurt themselves and/or others, including their spouse, if the spouse attempted to leave the offender or have extramarital relations (Johnson & Sachmann, 2017, p. 139). Marital disputes, isolation from the spouse, divorce, and custody disputes over children are other accelerants to familicide, as the offender becomes overly focused on violent behavior as a means of stress relief (Scheinin et al., 2011, p. 329)...

Remorse. All surviving fathers insisted that they previously loved and continue to love their children deeply, displayed signs of mourning, and described their children’s murder from the perspective of a bystander. The fathers separate themselves from their crimes, viewing their anger as the offender rather than the self. In their rage, all objects were viewed as evil and in need to be destroyed. Post-offense reflection shows dichotomized views of the murdered, such that the suffering caused by the family member and their murder are separated from the actual individual and their immortalization in the mind of the offender (Malmquist, 1980, p. 303)...

The typical perpetrator of familicide is the male head of household who is either depressed, paranoid, or intoxicated (Marzuk, 1992, p. 3181). Common themes emerge among all familicide perpetrators. For one, offenders hold the belief that they have a right over their family members’ lives (Scheinin et al., 2011, p. 329). Relatedly, they maintain the need for power, such that murder begets feelings of control (Fox & Levin, 2003, pp. 58-59). In most cases of familicide, the spouse was the primary source of the offenders’ anger, where the children were viewed as supporters or extensions of their mother (Wilson et al., 1995, p. 289)...

The hostile accusatory offender is angry at his spouse for infidelity and/or attempts to separate and he often expresses open displays of violence and anger prior to the murder...

More recently, in a 2008 analysis of offenders with disabilities, four distinct categories of offending motives were rendered: narcissistic rage (26%), psychosis (22%), fear of abandonment (22%) and ‘other’ (30%) (Liem & Koenraadt, 2008, p. 313). The accepted profiles today are selfrighteous, disappointed, anomic, and paranoid (Yardley et al., 2014, p. 131)...

Self-Righteous. The most common classification, categorizing 32% of offenders, was the self-righteous profile. These perpetrators blame their spouse for the collapse of the family unit and all other life problems, which elicits a desire to retaliate against them. This offender type holds the nuclear family unit and their sole ability to support them at the center of their masculinity. The family is viewed as a failure when the father cannot provide or other people provide in place of him for the family. The offender attempts to regain control and power by eliminating the family whom he designates is the primary threat against his success. This offender often has a history of controlling, narcissistic, and dramatic behavior, which may also occur during the murders (Yardley et al., 2014, pp. 131-133)...

Disappointed. The disappointed offender also views the family as vital to his masculinity and maintains that the family must represent the offender’s idyllic representation of a family unit to be successful. When the family does not conform to this prototype, the perpetrator becomes outraged and views the family as a failure. His solution to this problem is to destroy the family through murder. These offenders represented 29% of total familicide offenders (Yardley et al., 2014, pp. 134-135)...

All offenders categorized as self-righteous offenders were primarily motivated by family breakdown. Domestic violence and separation were prominent features in these cases. Multiple cases had features of jealousy, custody disputes, and spousal affairs. Offender histories of mental illness or legal involvement were also present in some cases. 80% of self-righteous offenders killed their victims by shooting and only one offender used multiple methods of murder. All but two of the self-righteous offenders committed suicide."

This was the best compilation of studies I have seen, regarding family annihilators. So much more at link (49 pages).
I'm familiar with many of the cases that have involved familicide or family annihilators but what baffles me about this case is that his wife was right there and he didn't annihilate her. Plus, family annihilators don't open fire outside in broad daylight, not caring about whether there are witnesses. They seem to always blame someone else. In this case, CD immediately confessed and was also worried about his dog being harmed.

This case doesn't fit that family annihilator profile, imo. I also want to know what role, if any, CD's religious faith played in his twisted mind. Heidi Firkus' husband got away with her murder for 13 years and a big reason was their evangelical church members believed his lie that a phantom black man did it. It was a female cold case detective--with help from Firkus' second wife--who finally nailed him. Heidi and Nick, met, married and were very active in their church which teaches that wives are subservient to their husbands when it comes to family finances. Heidi had no idea their house was being foreclosed and the sheriff would be there to evict them the next day. He still claims he's innocent.

Two recent cases, Chris Watts and Anthony Todt, claimed their wives killed the children. Chris Coleman still claims some other dude did it. Coleman's minister father blames his dead wife for Chris having an affair with a co-worker employed by their famous Televangelist.

To me, CD doesn't yet fit the family annihilator profile because his wife is very much alive and we still don't know enough about what was going on behind closed doors.

JMO

I just watched a great video on YouTube from Annie Elise 10 to LIFE. His neighbor said he was unstable - yelling at the wife and kids. He implied more abuse you could tell he was shook. Apparently there were rumors of an impending divorce. So theory is he killed the kids but not his wife because he knew the worst thing he could do to hurt her was make her watch what he did. Now, with appeals, she will be tied to him for the rest of (at least) his life.
I just want to thank you for mentioning it. I'm watching it now on YouTube from Annie Elise 10 to LIFE - Chad Doerman: Father Murders His Three Sons | Full Story and Body Cam Footage, Clermont County Ohio. Haven't gotten too far in yet, as I have to keep stopping to calm down. Extremely upsetting.

I'm familiar with many of the cases that have involved familicide or family annihilators but what baffles me about this case is that his wife was right there and he didn't annihilate her. Plus, family annihilators don't open fire outside in broad daylight, not caring about whether there are witnesses. They seem to always blame someone else. In this case, CD immediately confessed and was also worried about his dog being harmed.

This case doesn't fit that family annihilator profile, imo. I also want to know what role, if any, CD's religious faith played in his twisted mind. Heidi Firkus' husband got away with her murder for 13 years and a big reason was their evangelical church members believed his lie that a phantom black man did it. It was a female cold case detective--with help from Firkus' second wife--who finally nailed him. Heidi and Nick, met, married and were very active in their church which teaches that wives are subservient to their husbands when it comes to family finances. Heidi had no idea their house was being foreclosed and the sheriff would be there to evict them the next day. He still claims he's innocent.

Two recent cases, Chris Watts and Anthony Todt, claimed their wives killed the children. Chris Coleman still claims some other dude did it. Coleman's minister father blames his dead wife for Chris having an affair with a co-worker employed by their famous Televangelist.

To me, CD doesn't yet fit the family annihilator profile because his wife is very much alive and we still don't know enough about what was going on behind closed doors.

JMO

JMO
Which profile? That’s a 49 page research article. You know? It covers multiple different profiles.

He seems to fit the profile of obe who wants to kill the children to hurt his wife or ex. That is a type of family annihilator. According to studies the vast majority of those also kill themselves, but they leave the wife behind to suffer. So in that, he isn’t in the majority of that specific type of annihilator. But leaving the wife alive is precisely what that type does:

“Spouse revenge filicide

This final category consists of parents who kill their offspring in a deliberate attempt to make their spouses suffer. The prototype is found in Euripides’ play, Medea. After killing their two sons, Medea told her unfaithful husband, Jason, “Thy sons are dead and gone. That will stab thy heart” (Oates and O’Neill, 1938). The most common precipitants for spouse revenge filicide are spousal infidelity and child custody disputes.

Mr. Ronald Shanaberger's fiancee had made arrangements to go on a Caribbean cruise with her girlfriends before their engagement. When Mr. Shanaberger's father died, his fiancee declined to return early from the cruise to be with him in his time of grief. He resolved in his rage to make her suffer the way he had suffered. He waited until they married and their son, Tyler, was 7 months old. After his wife was fully bonded with Tyler, he killed their child (Associated Press, 1999). He was sentenced to 49 years in prison.”
Filicide in the United States

“Revenge filicide is a poorly understood, rare form of filicide in which a parent murders their child to cause emotional harm to the child's other parent. This descriptive study presents an international case series consisting of 62 revenge filicide cases from nine countries. Perpetrators were about equally likely to be male or female. Over half of the sample had an active mental disorder of any type, most often a personality disorder. A history of domestic violence was common. The mean victim age was 6 years. They were typically killed by asphyxiation, firearms, or knives, and preschool age children were targeted most frequently. In half of the cases, more than one child was murdered. Post-crime suicidal behavior was commonplace, and one-third of the sample died by suicide.”

Revenge filicide: An international perspective through 62 cases - PubMed

Spanish man allegedly killed kids to spite mom for getting new boyfriend. (He drugged and drowned his two little girls. Left mom alive).

Spanish man allegedly killed kids to spite mom for getting new boyfriend

A man was arrested late Wednesday night after admitting to stabbing his two children to death in order to spite his ex-wife in the central Israeli town of Yashresh.

Around midnight, the man walked into the police station in the nearby city of Ramle, and told officers that he had murdered his 14-year-old daughter and his 10-year-old son, who usually live with their mother in the United States.

Father kills his children, US citizens, to spite ex-wife | The Times of Israel

A man who allegedly murdered his son killed the two-year-old out of spite towards his ex-partner, a court has heard.

Prosecutors said Lukasz Czapla's fury towards his former partner Patrycja Szczesniak is what motivated him to kill their son Julius at his Edinburgh home in November 2020

Dad accused of killing Scots tot in ‘fit of anger and spite’ towards ex partner

A father who slit his son and daughter’s throats to spite his estranged wife was today told he will die behind bars as he was jailed for at least 30 years.

Jean Say, 62, murdered Regina, eight, and her brother Rolls, ten, while they were staying with him for the weekend.

He then phoned his wife Adjoua, 44, and told her: ‘Come and get the bodies’.

Father who slit children's throats to spite wife is jailed for 30 years

A devastated family is pointing the finger at authorities over a murder-suicide that claimed the life of a 7-year-old girl and her father, who allegedly meant to punish his ex-wife through the gruesome act.

Police say Jeffrey Mancuso, 45, apparently beat his daughter, Kayden, to death with a barbell before taking his own life over the weekend in Philadelphia, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. Police have not yet revealed how Jeffrey Mancuso died.

Man Beats 7-Year-Old Daughter To Death With A Barbell, Then Kills Himself In Attack Allegedly Meant To Spite His Ex-Wife | Oxygen Official Site

It goes on an on and on. These are a subtype of family annihilator that kill for revenge.

The motive seems to be to cause long-lasting, lifetime living with sorrow pain to his wife, the boy's loving mother. It's also possible he was twisted enough to decide to kill the boys to be spiteful, and not end up paying child support.

Was it part of the plan, to spare her life? Or did she just somehow manage to run? Perhaps the step-daughter's biological father paid child support for her. (I think unless he adopted her, he wouldn't be liable to pay child support for her.) Neighbor said he was mean and treated his wife bad, and yelled at them all the time. JMO, surely he own father just visited and would've noticed something.

In any case, I can see from the photos, how that young girl loved her brothers, and the mother's screams haunt me. I, too, am shaken like many of you by this one. Keeping them in my prayers.

Which profile? That’s a 49 page research article. You know? It covers multiple different profiles.

He seems to fit the profile of obe who wants to kill the children to hurt his wife or ex. That is a type of family annihilator. According to studies the vast majority of those also kill themselves, but they leave the wife behind to suffer. So in that, he isn’t in the majority of that specific type of annihilator. But leaving the wife alive is precisely what that type does:

“Spouse revenge filicide

This final category consists of parents who kill their offspring in a deliberate attempt to make their spouses suffer. The prototype is found in Euripides’ play, Medea. After killing their two sons, Medea told her unfaithful husband, Jason, “Thy sons are dead and gone. That will stab thy heart” (Oates and O’Neill, 1938). The most common precipitants for spouse revenge filicide are spousal infidelity and child custody disputes.

Mr. Ronald Shanaberger's fiancee had made arrangements to go on a Caribbean cruise with her girlfriends before their engagement. When Mr. Shanaberger's father died, his fiancee declined to return early from the cruise to be with him in his time of grief. He resolved in his rage to make her suffer the way he had suffered. He waited until they married and their son, Tyler, was 7 months old. After his wife was fully bonded with Tyler, he killed their child (Associated Press, 1999). He was sentenced to 49 years in prison.”
Filicide in the United States

“Revenge filicide is a poorly understood, rare form of filicide in which a parent murders their child to cause emotional harm to the child's other parent. This descriptive study presents an international case series consisting of 62 revenge filicide cases from nine countries. Perpetrators were about equally likely to be male or female. Over half of the sample had an active mental disorder of any type, most often a personality disorder. A history of domestic violence was common. The mean victim age was 6 years. They were typically killed by asphyxiation, firearms, or knives, and preschool age children were targeted most frequently. In half of the cases, more than one child was murdered. Post-crime suicidal behavior was commonplace, and one-third of the sample died by suicide.”

Revenge filicide: An international perspective through 62 cases - PubMed

Spanish man allegedly killed kids to spite mom for getting new boyfriend. (He drugged and drowned his two little girls. Left mom alive).

Spanish man allegedly killed kids to spite mom for getting new boyfriend

A man was arrested late Wednesday night after admitting to stabbing his two children to death in order to spite his ex-wife in the central Israeli town of Yashresh.

Around midnight, the man walked into the police station in the nearby city of Ramle, and told officers that he had murdered his 14-year-old daughter and his 10-year-old son, who usually live with their mother in the United States.

Father kills his children, US citizens, to spite ex-wife | The Times of Israel

A man who allegedly murdered his son killed the two-year-old out of spite towards his ex-partner, a court has heard.

Prosecutors said Lukasz Czapla's fury towards his former partner Patrycja Szczesniak is what motivated him to kill their son Julius at his Edinburgh home in November 2020

Dad accused of killing Scots tot in ‘fit of anger and spite’ towards ex partner

A father who slit his son and daughter’s throats to spite his estranged wife was today told he will die behind bars as he was jailed for at least 30 years.

Jean Say, 62, murdered Regina, eight, and her brother Rolls, ten, while they were staying with him for the weekend.

He then phoned his wife Adjoua, 44, and told her: ‘Come and get the bodies’.

Father who slit children's throats to spite wife is jailed for 30 years

A devastated family is pointing the finger at authorities over a murder-suicide that claimed the life of a 7-year-old girl and her father, who allegedly meant to punish his ex-wife through the gruesome act.

Police say Jeffrey Mancuso, 45, apparently beat his daughter, Kayden, to death with a barbell before taking his own life over the weekend in Philadelphia, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer. Police have not yet revealed how Jeffrey Mancuso died.

Man Beats 7-Year-Old Daughter To Death With A Barbell, Then Kills Himself In Attack Allegedly Meant To Spite His Ex-Wife | Oxygen Official Site

It goes on an on and on. These are a subtype of family annihilator that kill for revenge.
And it appears to be a global issue, not just contained to the US.

June 21, 2023 - updated

An Ohio father had planned to kill his three sons for months before he lined them up and executed them with a rifle Thursday, documents released Monday state.

Doerman is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on June 26. Due to the felony level of the charges, a grand jury will be convened to decide what charges, if any, Doerman will be indicted on.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/06/20/bodycam-video-ohio-father-chad-doerman-arrest-killing-three-boys/70338693007/

Chad Doerman indicted on 21 charges in deaths of three sons​

• Chad Doerman was indicted on 21 charges, including aggravated murder
  • He's accused of killing his three sons 'execution-style'
  • An arraignment for Doerman is scheduled for Friday, June 23

Updated: JUN 22, 2023 / 05:27 PM CDT

CLERMONT COUNTY, Ohio (WKRC) - A Clermont County grand jury returned an indictment against the man accused of executing his three young sons.

Chad Doerman, 32, was indicted Thursday on nine counts of aggravated murder, eight counts of kidnapping, and four counts of felonious assault.

[…]

[…]

One of Chad Doerman’s neighbors said he saw things at the family's home prior to the shooting that disturbed him.

“He was just a very angry man, like, he just was always yelling at his wife and his kids,” said Richard Kincannon.

On one occasion, Kincannon claims Doerman got violent with his children.

“He tossed a couple of them around in the yard one day. Tried to tell them to go in the house and picked them up and threw them,” said Kincannon.

[…]

[…]

One of Chad Doerman’s neighbors said he saw things at the family's home prior to the shooting that disturbed him.

“He was just a very angry man, like, he just was always yelling at his wife and his kids,” said Richard Kincannon.

On one occasion, Kincannon claims Doerman got violent with his children.

“He tossed a couple of them around in the yard one day. Tried to tell them to go in the house and picked them up and threw them,” said Kincannon.

[…]

I suspect the kids' autopsies are going to show hallmarks of long-term physical abuse. :(

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot
Back