GUILTY OH - Dylan Groves, 4 months, found dead in bottom of well, Otway, June 2019 *parents arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well - glad to hear this GUILTY verdict this morning!

Dylan got JUSTICE!!
animated-smileys-occupations-079.gif

Thank you ALL for your posts & to @Jewels53 for the tweets!

What was the point in taking this to trial? The mother was pleading guilty--did she think that the jury would view her having been a drug addict as a mitigating factor for her gross negligence and abuse of this tiny angel and she would get a lesser sentence? I don't get it

Mom did not plead guilty. She originally attempted a not guilty by reason of insanity that didn't fly. I don't think she ever intended to tell what happened and why. She had agreed in juvenile court not to be alone with Dylan unsupervised, and Daniel Sr agreed to make sure that she wasn't. In my mind that's why they are both equally responsible for Dylan's death. My understanding of the safety plan wasn't simply that she couldn't spend the night in the home, but that she wasn't to be alone with Dylan. Dad foolishly chose mom over Dylan's safety and both lied over and over to get their way, resulting in Dylan's death. Neither chose to get him medical aid for his injuries, because they cared more about themselves than him. Hope they both have a miserable rest of their lives in prison.

she took 100% responsibility for his death...how is that not pleading guilty? But I guess she never formally did so...such a strange case. Wonder what grounds they could have for appeal...I mean she got a fair trial from what I saw.

What was the point in taking this to trial? The mother was pleading guilty--did she think that the jury would view her having been a drug addict as a mitigating factor for her gross negligence and abuse of this tiny angel and she would get a lesser sentence? I don't get it

Mom did not plead guilty. She originally attempted a not guilty by reason of insanity that didn't fly. I don't think she ever intended to tell what happened and why. She had agreed in juvenile court not to be alone with Dylan unsupervised, and Daniel Sr agreed to make sure that she wasn't. In my mind that's why they are both equally responsible for Dylan's death. My understanding of the safety plan wasn't simply that she couldn't spend the night in the home, but that she wasn't to be alone with Dylan. Dad foolishly chose mom over Dylan's safety and both lied over and over to get their way, resulting in Dylan's death. Neither chose to get him medical aid for his injuries, because they cared more about themselves than him. Hope they both have a miserable rest of their lives in prison.
she took 100% responsibility for his death...how is that not pleading guilty? But I guess she never formally did so...such a strange case. Wonder what grounds they could have for appeal...I mean she got a fair trial from what I saw.

Your plea is different than your testimony. The judge was very careful to go on record advising mom that her defense as proposed in the attorney's opening was not advisable and she confirmed she knew and understood. He warned both of them again before they testified that they did not have to do that. I really liked this judge. He was very careful to put on record anything that might be reason for appeal and advised defendants before they proceeded. Their pride and hatred of authority led to both what they did and sealed their fate. IMO. Interesting that neither court appointed attorney seems willing to defend their clients for appeal. I'm sure mom's attorney did everything in his power to talk mom out of her defense strategy, but it goes to how far she is willing to go to get her way. Her psych evaluation would be an interesting read I'm sure.

Imagine if mom and dad weren’t selfish monsters that just followed the rules. Dylan would be with his foster family having a huge birthday celebration. If they wanted him back work the program. If not just go away. Pure selfishness. As much as I wish I had a grand baby I’m so glad I don’t as my son struggles with addictions. I would never want a baby born into this and if I had one I would move every mountain to ensure they are protected.
Sickos. The DA didn’t destroy her life. She did. What a fool.

Your plea is different than your testimony. The judge was very careful to go on record advising mom that her defense as proposed in the attorney's opening was not advisable and she confirmed she knew and understood. He warned both of them again before they testified that they did not have to do that. I really liked this judge. He was very careful to put on record anything that might be reason for appeal and advised defendants before they proceeded. Their pride and hatred of authority led to both what they did and sealed their fate. IMO. Interesting that neither court appointed attorney seems willing to defend their clients for appeal. I'm sure mom's attorney did everything in his power to talk mom out of her defense strategy, but it goes to how far she is willing to go to get her way. Her psych evaluation would be an interesting read I'm sure.

Excellent post AnninOhio! You need to stick around on WS! You could be an asset to the many cases here.

I really doubt there is an appealable issue with either of them. Time will tell on that though. imo

Thank you, AnnInOhio! I appreciate your thoughtful response.
While her time on the stand didn't give us any answers because she claimed to "not remember" what she did, she did say that it wasn't "intentional" and that she would never intentionally hurt her child- --isn't that an admission of guilt or at least partially?
It wasn't entirely incongruent with her pleading guilty. You are quite right--both of them are indeed responsible for this--the jury got it right
Baby Dylan needed medical intervention for his injuries and they did NOTHING.
Many criminal defense attorneys do not represent their clients post conviction though as the appeal process is different and requires a special skill set.

I hope that this case will push forward new laws and better social service interventions.
I think that all of us here on Websleuths fell in love with Baby Dylan.

I should have known there was a thread here for sweet Dylan. Anyway, ran across the trial this week and knowing very little about the background, first thought Jessica was feeling real remorse as she had time to sober up in jail and have the full weight of what she did hit her. That changed when she got on the stand. I realize the prosecutor was aggressive but Jessica was surly and defensive, saying she was done talking to the prosecutor. Her saying the prosecutor devoured her family was a joke. Then Daniel just sat up there and lied... and yes, basically calling Daniel Jr a liar himself. Those two belong exactly where they are going....to prison for a long long time.

If it is true the baby got the injuries on the 27th, and died on the 28th, and the social worker was there on the 28th, is it possible that Mom was just pretending to feed a dead baby, and the social worker was never the wiser? Is that why the attorney called her a liar when she said she tickled the baby's foot and he grinned? At the very least the baby was either dead or dying right in front of her, and she failed to notice.

And although it was probably a hard decision, the State putting their son,Daniel Jr on the stand to testify...his father asked him to pee in a cup & father saved it in a capped bottle. Would leave the jury with the idea that Daniel Sr was not clean, lied, fooled CPS & L.E. in order to get custody of the baby. Also Daniel Sr did not seem meek or remorseful on the stand. He presented as snarky, while blame shifting just like Jessica. There is a reason they’ve been together all this time.
I saw a clip of a relative saying as soon as she heard they were expecting she knew this was not going to end well.

MOO

If it is true the baby got the injuries on the 27th, and died on the 28th, and the social worker was there on the 28th, is it possible that Mom was just pretending to feed a dead baby, and the social worker was never the wiser? Is that why the attorney called her a liar when she said she tickled the baby's foot and he grinned? At the very least the baby was either dead or dying right in front of her, and she failed to notice.

Yeah that could have been a lie.
(I know you swear to tell nothing but the truth)
It was the social workers recall against the Defense storyline.
Possibly a tactic to get JG so angry in court that she would then tell exactly how,when she killed Dylan...because the social worker lied.
Was the baby deceased in the blanket so he could not of “smiled” when Social worker tickled his foot?

The Defense attorney tried to ride that “lie” moment.
How did he know it was a lie?
What did he exactly know?
It is very interesting how a liar, in this case “frequent liars”...
get sooooo angry if YOU lie!

MOO

Last edited:
Ohio couple convicted in death of infant son found in well

"Jessica Groves, 39, of Otway in southern Ohio’s Scioto County, was sentenced late Friday to life in prison with no chance of parole in the death of 2-month-old Dylan Groves.

The child’s father, Daniel Groves, 41, was convicted of murder, abuse of a corpse and other charges but was acquitted of aggravated murder. A judge sentence him to life in prison with parole eligibility in 47 years.

Their attorneys said Saturday that appeals are planned. Both said they respected the jury’s decision."

I would imagine Daniel Jr could tell A LOT of the goings on in that house. The State didn't even need to go there and put him through any more. Lord knows what that child had seen over the years.

The social worker was clearly just doing a job and her testimony must have been cringeworthy to people that do that job.

Did I hear right,that baby weighed 4 and a half pounds at 2 months old?

Did I hear right,that baby weighed 4 and a half pounds at 2 months old?

When deceased, yes. I have no clue if being dead lowers your body weight? And of course wasting away at the bottom of a well......

Does anyone here have any court documents from this case? I put in a request for them since I couldn't actually view it on their county website.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbustam1
Back