GUILTY OH - Eileen Adams, 14, Toledo, 18 Dec 1967

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
TOLEDO, Ohio — Their paths crossed at Sunday dinner, a police officer and a man in the early stages of Alzheimer's, when the story of a girl's disappearance 40 years ago unfolded.
Larry Adams told Officer Mike McGee about his 14-year-old daughter, Eileen, who was reported missing in 1967:

She boarded a city bus to visit her sister the week before Christmas and never returned. Six weeks later, her body was found near Monroe, Mich., sexually assaulted and strangled. She had been tied up with telephone and drapery cords. A nail had been driven into her head.

"I could tell by looking at this guy's face that he believed what he was telling me," McGee recalled of his chance meeting two years ago with Adams at McGee's in-laws' home. Adams had been invited along with other residents of a nursing home.

McGee got his department's cold-case squad on the case. On Thursday, investigators got a break when a suspect years ago, drifter Robert Bowman, surfaced in Southern California riding a bicycle.

Bowman, 72, will face extradition to Ohio on Monday, where authorities want him to face charges in the kidnapping and killing of Eileen Adams.

More at link

Thanks for emailing this great story to me!

WAY TO GO! McGee believed this nursing home patient and pulled his dept together and solved this cold case! WOW! This is AWESOME!:clap::clap::clap::clap::woohoo:

Wow! I'm pretty sure I remember this story from AMW. The suspect was sooooo creepy.

Yay - go LE!!!

Suspect returns in Toledo's oldest murder case

TOLEDO (WTOL) - The man accused in a cold case murder dating back four decades is back in Toledo. Just after 8:30 p.m. on Monday, October 27, U.S. marshals took him to the safety building first, then to the Lucas County jail. He has been charged with one count of murder for the December 1967 killing of Eileen Adams, who was last seen getting off the bus after leaving Central Catholic High School. Her body was found in Monroe County six weeks later.

More at link.

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=9249319

Another good article on the case about the detective who never gave up.

Monroe County ex-detective never quit on cold case.

For Pete Navarre, the 1967 murder of Eileen Adams became an obsession. The retired Monroe County sheriff's detective used to sit in the driveway of the house on the corner of Sylvania Avenue and Douglas Road where the 14-year-old allegedly was held and replay the details of the case over and over in his mind.

More at link.

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081029/NEWS02/810290363

I am really familiar with this neighborhood as I had family that lived in that area. I'm too young to have been around when any of this happened, but it's just weird to think that she was snatched right on an afternoon day in a neighborhood where I used to play as a child visiting family.

Just crazy. I'm so glad that justice was finally given to Eileen and her family.

I wanted to give this a bump for all the sleuthers out there to maybe start linking up some cold cases, missing children with him. We know that he murdered Eileen and kept her alive for at least 2 weeks chained in his basement. He is an old man...and lived many, many places. What he did to Eileen was NOT the only time I am sure. He had a long, free life, 40 YEARS !
to prey, abduct and murder children or God knows who else....

Found this about him...
http://search.publicrecords.net/state-ohio/city-toledo.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Robert "Bob, Bo" Brent Bowman (Robert Baxter Bowman, Bob Roman, Bruce Baxter Bowman, Steven Bowman, Patrick or Patricia Montgomery, Glenn Graborn)
Sex: Male
Race: White
Age Now: 72
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 150-175 lbs.
Hair (Color, Description, Facial Hair): Brown Bowman's hair lightens to blonde in the sun and is graying. He may be completely gray. He may look unkempt. Bowman frequently goes unshaven. Bowman sometimes has a goatee. Bowman typically does not have facial hair.
Eyes (Color and Correction): Blue
Other Physical Characteristics: Bowman has little concern for his appearance. Bowman frequently goes unshaven and unclean. Bowman likes to wear all white and considers it a mark of purity, but he doesn't care if he is clean. Bowman sometimes uses a white rope as a belt to hold up his pants or shorts.
Wanted for : Aggravated Murder, Toledo, OH

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Location(s)
Last Seen : Riverside County, CA Bowman's last contact with law enforcement was in 2003 when the Riverside County Sheriff's Office ran his name through a nationwide database. Bowman was not charged with anything and there have been no confirmed sightings since.
Possible Location : Miami-Dade, FL Florida Miami Beach, FL Southeast, FL Arizona South Beach, FL Flagstaff, AZ National California Hollywood, FL Riverside, CA Southern, USA Toledo, OH North Miami, FL Southern, CA Columbus, OH Las Vegas, NV San Diego, CA Reno, NV Bowman has previously lived and spent time in Arizona, Ohio, Nevada, Florida, California, DC, New York, Kansas and Michigan. He has ties to the south Florida.
Last Known : National For the last 25 years of his life, Bowman has been living as a transient vagrant.

Traits
Police say Bowman is sadomasochistic.
He is known to have studied the Marquis de Sade.
Cops say he is a known swinger.
Cops say he derives pleasure from pain and uses pain sexually.
Cops say Bowman follows a movement known as the Lumonics, which police characterize as a cult-like movement in the 70s and 80s located in southern Florida. Police say the group now has more of an artistic bent.
Bowman believes in the power of the pyramid (has been known to sleep inside of a costly pyramid) and that the pyramid is the 7th life on earth.
Bowman believes that with the power of the pyramid, you don't need to worry about your appearance.
He also says that you don't need to be clean, wear nice clothes or shave.
Bowman is known to partake in psychedelic drugs, specifically heroine, LSD, and weed.
Bowman is very smart.
Bowman is very resourceful.
Cops say Bowman is classified a sociopath.
Bowman is a convicted thief and has spent time in the Ohio state prison in the 1960s.
Bowman is known to use his parents' names as aliases; father: C. Steven Bowman, mother: Patricia Montgomery.
Bowman loves to write in a journal.
Bowman has said that he would like to write a book.
Bowman has previously worked as an x-ray technician.
Bowman studied to be a medical tech while in state prison.
Bowman has previously worked in sales, and has sold signage to businesses throughout the US.
Bowman is described as a good salesman.
Bowman has previously worked in management at a fast food franchise.
Bowman taught himself to play flamenco guitar.
Bowman likes to do magic tricks with cards.
Bowman likes to play card games and gamble.
Bowman fancies himself a card shark and has previously played Blackjack as a profession for an entire year in Las Vegas.
Bowman likes to study various schools of mysticism and hedonism.
Bowman likes to read.
Bowman may be living as a homeless person on the streets or in shelters.
Bowman likes to keep his money in his socks.
Bowman likes to eat Oreo Double Stuffed cookies.
Bowman likes to challenge people intellectually.
Bowman is described as having a thin build.
Bowman tends to blend in, not draw a lot of attention to himself.
Bowman has previously lived and spent time in Arizona, Ohio, Nevada, Florida, California, DC, New York, Kansas and Michigan.

Case Story
14-Year-Old Disappears
December 18, 1967. Eileen Adams, 14, a freshman at Central Catholic High School in Toledo, Ohio vanishes just one week before Christmas, abducted when she stepped off the school bus and headed towards her sister's home in West Toledo. Eileen told a friend she was going Christmas shopping, but she was never seen again. About six weeks later, on January 31, 1968, Eileen's frozen body was found in a field in nearby rural Monroe County, Mich. The body was clothed, wrapped in a mattress cover with bound hands and feet. She had telephone cord looped around her neck and a forehead wound from where her attacker had hammered a nail into her skull postmortem. The horrific crime shattered the Toledo community, which was more used to "Ozzie and Harriet" than Hitchcock. For months, it was all anyone could talk about. No one came forward. No one knew anything, or so it seemed. And for years, the case was unsolved.

Woman Comes Forward After 14 Years
Then, in December 1981, a woman came forward to the Toledo Police. She had an unbelievable story for them. She told police that her husband murdered a girl in 1967. She remembered every detail. Including how she walked in to the fruit cellar in her basement one day and found Eileen naked and bound to her wall. Cops say she told them her husband had had Eileen down there for days, maybe even weeks. She says that when she saw her, "hanging like Jesus," she was alive. Eileen's eyes pleaded for a rescue and she tried to talk through the gags in her mouth. But before Mrs. Bowman could help the young girl down off the wall, her husband heard her scream. When she asked Bowman about it, she says he went downstairs and killed the high school freshman. Then, she says, he made her help dump the body in a farmer's field in Michigan. Fear of prosecution and her husband kept her away all those years, but after 14 years she finally fessed up to police. They found her story very credible. Her husband, Robert Bowman, had never before been mentioned in the investigation. But, as police looked in to it, it seemed that Mrs. Bowman's story was true. In February 1982, detectives tracked down Bowman to Miami, Fla. They went and interviewed him about Eileen Adams' murder. They met a truly bizarre man. Bowman was living as a homeless man in a burnt out shell of a former restaurant. He lived with roaches, rats, and snakes which he named and treated like pets. Cops say he was filthy, but he wore only white. He told them he believed in the power of the pyramid to keep him healthy, pure and clean. They tried to engage him in a conversation about his wife's allegations about Eileen. But, they never got a straight answer out of him. He never confessed to the crime, but he never denied it. After several days visiting with the strange man, it was time to go home. Police were still certain that Mrs. Bowman was telling the truth. However, armed with little evidence and no technology, they left Bowman and went back to Toledo. The case once again languished.

Science Finally Catches Up To Suspect
Then, in September 2006, off-duty Toledo Police Sergeant Mike McGee went to dinner at his in-laws' home. It was Labor Day, which meant his family would be hosting several people from a nearby nursing home. When he got to the dinner, Mike's mother-in-law introduced him to the seniors as her son-in-law, a cop. Soon, Mike was approached by Eileen Adams' father, who was one of the dinner guests. Mr. Adams told Mike he had a story to tell him. "But," he said, "if I get off-topic steer me back on. I have Alzheimer's and I get confused easily." Mr. Adams told Mike McGee about his daughter's abduction, rape and murder and the fact that in 1981 a suspect was identified. He made Mike promise to look into the case. Sgt. McGee was so moved that he agreed. Mike left dinner and went to work. By chance, Mike worked with Bart Beavers that night, a detective from the TPD Cold Case Unit. Mike brought up the murder to Bart and passed the baton. Bart agreed to look into it for Mike. When Bart got back to the squad, he pulled out the Adams murder case file and called the former detective. As he poured through the evidence, the retired investigator told him all about Mrs. Bowman and the bizarre encounter in Florida. Bart discovered there was DNA in the evidence left behind. Eileen's underwear had semen in it. In the 80s, the technology couldn't handle the small sample. But now, maybe it could. Investigators submitted the sample to the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigations and they were able to type the DNA. Next, cops tracked down Bowman's daughter and did a reverse paternity test on her. Almost 40 years later, it was a hit and Toledo PD had finally solved Eileen's murder. On November 27, 2006, Toledo police issued a murder warrant for Robert Bowman. Since the 1982 encounter in Florida, police believe Bowman has continued to live on the streets. In 2002, investigators think he left Florida for San Diego, Calif. Records show that Bowman had run-ins with police in California twice in 2003 on vagrancy charges, but hasn't been seen since. Toledo police think he may still be living on the streets in California or in some other warm location, and he may not even realize that he's wanted. After an AMW airing in late 2007, police say that tipsters pointed them in good directions. A lot of sightings linked Bowman to Sin City, where tipsters say he is living on the strip as a homeless man. So far, cops have not confirmed the Las Vegas sightings, but they continue to follow up on each and every tip. Because Eileen was tortured and raped and violently killed, they worry that Eileen's murder was not a one-time event. Detectives say that Bowman is a sociopath, very intelligent, and has likely done it again over the past 40 years. Cops need to get him in custody to find out and to prevent any other family from going through what the Adams family experienced

I am glad they got him, but why on earth did the wife not call the cops when she saw Eileen? How long had Eileen been there? Can the wife be charged? Why did she wait so long? Is he a suspect in other cases?

I am utterly fascinated by this case. Found this article online:

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=9389421

Escape from Evil: Recap of a News 11 Special Report

Posted: Nov 20, 2008 4:19 PM
Updated: Nov 20, 2008 8:00 PM

Bonus Content
Cold Case Stirring Up Emotions in Those Who Lived Through It
Man who found Eileen Adams' body talks to News 11
Cold-case arrest in murder of 14-year-old girl
Toledo Police Looking for Suspect in 1967 Murder

Report by Chrys Peterson - email | bio

Posted by LS

(WTOL) - It was the most traumatic experience of her life, and it happened more than 40 years ago. Linda Boxell was stalked and nearly abducted as a teenager.

Over the years, she was able to put the fear of that incident behind her until just a couple of years ago when she says she recognized the man who tried to grab her and couldn't believe what she was seeing.

Linda Boxell and Patty Jardin have been friends for more than 40 years, and they often talk about the unusual circumstances that brought them together on Haverhill in 1967.

Linda was 19 years old and had just moved into her first apartment downtown near St. V's. She worked at commercial services in a building on Sylvania near Upton. One wintry night she didn't have bus money, so she decided to walk home alone. Just a few blocks up, a man pulled up beside her in a car and offered her a ride.

'You're cold why don't you get in?' That's what he asked, Linda explains. "I said, 'No I don't want to do that.' So I went a little farther. He went around the block and stopped again. 'You sure?' he said. I said, 'No, I don't wanna."

Linda adds, "He was very smooth. He was very persistent -- a business person. He had a suit on, dressed really nice... had all the right answers."

Still, something told Linda she shouldn't get in the car. When he wouldn't leave her alone, she ran into Start Drug Store on Sylvania near Martha and asked the pharmacist for help.

"I went in and said, 'There's this man following me, and I'm really afraid.' He said, 'Wait here for a little while.' So I waited for 10 minutes. When I went out, I went a few more blocks..."

That's when Linda saw the same car following her, so she tried to lose him by ducking into the old Mancy's Ideal Restaurant on the corner of Sylvania and Phillips.

"I went up to the bar, and said, 'Can I have a cup of coffee?' When I went up there, the man came in, and I just about died. He sat next to me and slipped a napkin to me and wrote a number on it. I said, 'What's that?' He said, 'That's how many women I've had.'

"I thought, 'I have to get out of here.' At that time, there was a Weisenberger car dealership and I ran in and I was telling them 'This man's after me.' He grabbed me and said 'That's my daughter -- we're having domestic problems.' So I slipped out of my coat, got away from him, and went through the service department. Around the back of the service department, there was a dry cleaners on Hawthorne St."

Patty tells us, "A young girl came running in and said someone was chasing her and could I help her. I said 'sure' and together we called the police and they came.

"That night when the police took me home, I went to bed with a knife. I told Maureen I'm so afraid he's out there, and we both moved back with our parents right after that," Linda says. "He knew what I looked like, and I knew what he looked like because we were face-to-face at Mancy's."

For the next 40 years, Linda never saw the man again. Not to say she ever forgot about her close call, but she lived a busy life. She raised two sons, became a doting grandmother and started her own interior design business.

Then one night in 2006, Linda's past came back to haunt her. "I was lying in bed watching the news, and there was a picture of this man. They had this man they were looking for that killed this girl in Toledo. I just had chills all over me. Even though, he was a lot older, I said 'That's the man. That's the man who had me."

In 2006, police issued an arrest warrant for Robert Bowman for the murder of a Toledo girl back in 1967 -- a cold case murder that was reopened, and reinvestigated using DNA technology. Police believe Bowman abducted Eileen Adams, held her captive in his basement, raped her, strangled her and dumped her body in a Monroe County field.

Linda remembered how shocking the murder was all those years ago. But as she listened to the news report in 2006, she realized there were some eerie similarities to her case. Eileen Adams was just 14 years old. Linda was 19 in 1967. Police believe Bowman kidnapped Eileen when she got off her school bus on Sylvania Avenue... the same area Linda had been followed. Also, Linda's stalking incident happened sometime in November or early December of 1967, which is right around the time Eileen Adams was murdered.

Last month, after two years of searching, police in California found Bowman and arrested him. He's been brought back to Toledo to face murder charges for a crime committed more than 40 years ago. Linda can't help but think about what could have happened to her if another young lady hadn't offered her help on that desperate night.

Walking today, Linda tells Patty, "I can thank you for my life."

With a hug, Patty tells her, "Somebody had a bigger plan for you."

Good pick-up on the article Scriptgirl! I live in Toledo and didn't even see that!

I remember when this happened. Back in 67, Toledo was what you would call a pretty safe town. This was absolutely unheard of and I remember my mom pounding, "Stranger Danger" stuff constantly.

There is no way in hell that Eileen is the only one he killed. With the number of states that he resided in, he's probably got victims nationwide. While DNA databases are good, they're only helpful if the bodies are found and I have a feeling that he is probably responsible for other missing girls/women.

Interestingly, in the article above, the victim that got away describes him as a businessman, very well dressed. I think he could change his appearance quite dramatically, and based on other things posted, he could certainly "act normal" when he wanted to too..

Good pick-up on the article Scriptgirl! I live in Toledo and didn't even see that!

I live in the area as well, and don't remember reading Linda Boxell's story. Scary.

I agree that Bowman clearly must have had other victims.

Trial date set for March 22, 2010.

http://www.toledoonthemove.com/news/story.aspx?id=382667

TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) - The body of an Ohio teenager killed more than 40 years ago was recently exhumed, revealing new evidence in the case against a former fugitive accused in her death, authorities said.

Prosecutors declined to describe the nature of the new evidence. But because of the discovery, a Lucas County judge agreed Wednesday to push back the trial of Robert Bowman from Jan. 25 to March 22.

The trial has started testimony from the wife happened yesterday...this poor, poor girl...it's a damn shame that the wife cannot be charged with something also..

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100515/NEWS02/5150348

I still reiterate that there are more children that he abducted..has to be. He was in so many parts of the country tho...I hope someone is looking into cold cases and missing children/young women

Article published May 15, 2010
Man's ex-wife testifies against him at hearing
Woman says girl was tied up in cellar before being killed

Robert Bowman, right, is accused of the rape and murder of Eileen Adams, 14, whose body was found in a Monroe County field.
( THE BLADE/DAVE ZAPOTOSKY )

Zoom | Photo Reprints

By BRIDGET THARP
BLADE STAFF WRITER

She said she was hanging wet laundry to dry in the basement of her West Sylvania Avenue home when she heard a muffled noise from behind the closed door to the fruit cellar.

Margaret "Margie" Bowman opened the door to find a naked girl, silenced with tape across her mouth and bound by her outstretched limbs to mattresses that lined the walls.

She struggled to free the girl, but said she was interrupted by her husband, Robert.

"He just started going crazy, yelling and screaming, saying he had to kill her now," Ms. Bowman, 64, told Judge Gene Zmuda during a pretrial in Lucas County Common Pleas Court.

That was 40 years ago. Ms. Bowman's testimony yesterday marked her first public discussion of the cold-case murder of Eileen Adams - a 14-year-old girl who was missing for more than a month before her body was found in a frozen Monroe County field in January, 1968.

Her ex-husband, Bowman, 73, is accused of raping and killing the girl. Bowman sat with wrists shackled as his ex-wife recounted the day in December, 1967, that she said she discovered the girl in the basement.
Judge Zmuda told Ms. Bowman before she testified Friday that her marriage to the suspect meant that she could not be compelled to participate in the trial.

"Do you understand that you do not have to testify about these events?" Judge Zmuda asked.

"Yes," she replied.

Ms. Bowman was just 21 and a couple of months from celebrating her first wedding anniversary. She and Bowman, then a 30-year-old business owner, shared a two-bedroom house, a dog, and an infant daughter.

Her husband was out and the baby was sleeping in her crib as Ms. Bowman handwashed the family laundry in the kitchen sink, then headed down the steps to hang the wash to dry.

She almost ignored the sound she heard on the other side of the cellar door. She thought it was rats. She was frightened of rats.

Instead, Ms. Bowman opened the door and found the girl whose name she would learn only days later from news reports and the set of textbooks she found in the house marked "Eileen Adams." The girl was naked and suspended with ropes, arms spread "like Jesus Christ on a cross," Ms. Bowman testified.

She was still alive.

"I screamed, and I tried to help her down," Ms. Bowman said. She couldn't.

Bowman came down the stairs "ranting and raving," and threw her across the room, she said.

"Did you fight back or resist?" Assistant Lucas County Prosecutor Tim Braun asked.

"No, I was scared to death of him," Ms. Bowman said.

That's when he announced he would have to kill the girl, Ms. Bowman said. He threatened to kill his wife and daughter if Ms. Bowman told anyone what she'd seen. She went upstairs and held her infant daughter on the living room couch until her husband returned upstairs.

Ms. Bowman said she didn't see him kill the Adams girl, and she didn't see him put her in the trunk of their car. "He told me he strangled her and put a nail in the back of her head," Ms. Bowman said.

She testified that she was forced to ride with him to Michigan where he planned to hide the body. She said she "closed her eyes" as he disposed of the girl.

She kept the secret for a short time. She first told her mother, now deceased, and later her siblings. No one believed her, she said. "They thought I was an old drunk."

She added later that she left her husband about three years after the crime, She saved money "until I could get away." She moved across the country several times with her daughter to elude Bowman, she said. After moves from Las Vegas, Phoenix, Miami, and Hollywood, Fla., she now lives in St. Petersburg, Fla.

She didn't file for divorce until the 1980s, after she was interviewed by now-retired Toledo Police Detective Daniel Brimmer.

Ms. Bowman has been a key witness for generations of police detectives who investigated the murder of the Adams girl. It was 13 years after the murder that she first spoke with Detective Brimmer.

Prosecutors in the 1980s weren't convinced that Ms. Bowman's testimony would be enough to convict her ex-husband, Mr. Brimmer testified yesterday.

The advent of DNA evidence in the 1990s created new opportunities for investigators, said Detective Bart Beavers, who helped when the case was reopened in 2006.

A warrant was issued for Bowman's arrest in November, 2007, after a reverse paternity test using samples from his ex-wife and daughter were used to match Bowman to DNA found on the victim's body.

Ms. Bowman was asked by defense attorney Jane Roman why she didn't go to authorities until the 1980s.

"I was frightened and scared and in shock. I was very naive then," Ms. Bowman said. "I was afraid. Am I on trial here?"

Another hearing in the case is scheduled for 1 p.m. June 23

http://site.ninjacops.com/blog/431/trial-date-rescheduled-for-suspect-in-’67-sylvania-twp-killing/

June 24, 2010

The trial date for Robert Bowman, charged with the 1967 murder of a Sylvania Township girl, was rescheduled Wednesday for September in Lucas County Common Pleas Court.

Bowman, 74, is charged with first-degree murder in the slaying of 14-year-old Eileen Adams. He is accused of kidnapping, raping, and killing the teen, last seen Dec. 18, 1967, getting off a bus after school in a West Toledo neighborhood.

Judge Gene Zmuda vacated an August trial date because of a conflict with another murder trial being handled by defense attorney Pete Rost. The new trial date was set for Sept. 15.

http://toledoblade.com/article/20101009/NEWS02/101009565/-1/NEWS

Article published October 09, 2010
Trial date is set for man charged in 1967 slaying
BLADE STAFF

A 2011 trial date was set in Lucas County Common Pleas Court Friday for the man charged in the 1967 murder of a Sylvania Township girl.

Robert Bowman, 74, is charged with first-degree murder in the slaying of Eileen Adams, 14. He is accused of kidnapping, raping, and killing the teen, last seen Dec. 18, 1967, as she was getting off a bus after school in West Toledo. Judge Gene Zmuda set a Feb. 7 trial date after attorneys sought more time to have newly discovered evidence tested for DNA.

I can't imagine the pain Eileens family has gone through. First to go through her being missing, the discovery of her body, having been so abused and even mutilated, then an inquest to exhume the body for additional evidence.

I know this man will now pay. I hope that if he is guilty of other crimes, there will be someone to come forward, or that he will want to 'brag' about his crimes.

TWA Eileen ^j^. You will finally have justice!

http://toledoblade.com/Courts/2011/04/09/1967-slaying-suspect-ruled-competent-to-stand-trial.html

April 9, 2011

Despite one expert's opinion that Robert Bowman is consistently and persistently unable to "stay in the moment," a Lucas County Common Pleas Court judge ruled Friday that the man charged in the 1967 slaying of a Sylvania Township teenager was competent to stand trial.

Judge Gene Zmuda then set an Aug. 8 trial date at which Bowman faces a charge of murder in the first degree.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back