OH OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is pure conjecture, since LE hasn't addressed these questions, but I suspect that with 18 separate agencies (& now TES) involved in the investigation into HD's disappearance, LE has had enough professional resources available to conduct comprehensive searches of the area close to HD's home as well as any other geographic areas of interest to them.

With the amount of manpower and search tools at LE's disposal, including local, state and federal agencies, they made the determination that inviting the public's participation would have been more of a hindrance than a help.

Why now?

I think the answer to that is that LE has concluded that once TES completes aerial searches, they will have exhaustively searched the locations they had reason to believe were likely spots, and came up empty.

Unfortunately, searches like this can't go on indefinitely.
They eat up both $$$ and manpower.

The public is likely now being asked/invited to search because LE is at a point of scaling back their own search efforts.

The fact that no sign of HD has surfaced despite the extensive searches (sadly) leads me back to where I always end up in my mind's eye:

Water.

JMO and HIW (Hope I'm Wrong)
It sure was hard to hit that like button. I totally agree with you. I don’t want to but I do.

A Texas-based search-and-rescue group is helping in the search for missing Port Clinton teenager Harley Dilly with cutting-edge color imaging software.

On Monday, the Ohio State Highway Patrol launched a helicopter to search for the missing 14-year-old from the air. According to Texas EquuSearch, these search helicopters also take photos of the areas where the missing person may be.

“The challenge then becomes, how to sift through thousands of pictures, to locate the specified target,” the non-profit group stated.

That’s where the brand new "Loc8" imaging software comes in.

“Loc8 can scan thousands of images, much faster than is humanly possible, to locate the few pixels that might represent a missing person,” a Texas EquuSearch representative said.

Loc8 systematically scans digital images and identifies potential targets based on user-defined color palettes. A user then confirms the potential target, and Loc8 generates a map and aerial view of the target’s location.

The system has been proven successful on several other Texas EquuSearch operations so far, the group said. Studies have shown that humans are only capable of spotting a target 30 percent of the time when reviewing digital images.
New imaging software could help locate Port Clinton teen

New member here. I've been following the HD case here since shortly after he was publicly reported missing.

I imagine that a large reward could be productive if the child has either been taken or voluntarily secreted away and multiple people are involved or have been told.

Reward rises to more than $17K for information on missing teen Harley Dilly; police plan aerial search
The police department announced Monday that officers would be completing aerial searches with the assistance of Texas EquuSearch, the Ohio State Highway Patrol and United States Customs and Border Protection. Department leaders asked the public to allow them to finish their aerial search before joining in to help.

Those who do plan to aid in the search for Harley are reminded not to trespass on private property unless they have permission from the owner. If you should come across something suspicious, call 419-734-3121.
[ nothing about Do not approach Harley. Something “suspicious”?)

Harley Dilly billboard on Lafayette and the Anthony Wayne Trail in downtown Toledo:

C8388F05-C3C1-4220-86AF-8962EF642875.jpeg

New member here. I've been following the HD case here since shortly after he was publicly reported missing.

I imagine that a large reward could be productive if the child has either been taken or voluntarily secreted away and multiple people are involved or have been told.
Good answer to the question. Thanks. Common sense must be your forte.

Reward rises to more than $17K for information on missing teen Harley Dilly; police plan aerial search
The police department announced Monday that officers would be completing aerial searches with the assistance of Texas EquuSearch, the Ohio State Highway Patrol and United States Customs and Border Protection. Department leaders asked the public to allow them to finish their aerial search before joining in to help.

Those who do plan to aid in the search for Harley are reminded not to trespass on private property unless they have permission from the owner. If you should come across something suspicious, call 419-734-3121.

Harley Dilly billboard on Lafayette and the Anthony Wayne Trail in downtown Toledo:

View attachment 224067
What would be the reason they wouldn’t allow TES any earlier, feels like they have wasted so much time, but maybe this is how TES usually works? I’m not familiar with the process.

View attachment 224067
If LE strongly suspects Harley may be in the water; TES might be focusing their search on how and where he got into the water. There has to be a trail of ‘something’ near edges of water.

Good answer to the question. Thanks. Common sense must be your forte.

Re: common sense

I wish I could say that were true; however, part of why this case caught my attention so much is that, when my own child was in middle school, I was horrified to discover through a friend that she was active on social media (against my permission). Upon confronting her, she revealed that she was active on 14 different social media sites. I was not very active on social media myself, but quickly had to become a follower on several sites to learn and watch who was following her. I will never forget how vulnerable I felt her to be at that time. It felt like we had no locks on the doors and the entire world had been invited over.

Hoping for answers soon and finding an 'alive' Harley !
I don't think that was him on that last video photo.
Such a sad life for this teen.
This disappearance strongly reminds me of young Robert ('Bonzai') Bee's vanishing.

Haven’t other SAR teams been involved in Harley’s disappearance prior to TES arrival?

I remember reading another missing persons case that TES was assisting about a week ago in another state, not sure where it was.

Haven’t other SAR teams been involved in Harley’s disappearance prior to TES arrival?

I remember reading another missing persons case that TES was assisting about a week ago in another state, not sure where it was.

They were just in Texas helping on the Heidi Broussard case when she and her then 2 week old baby girl went missing.

I heard on this case (HD) that the LE were the one's that invited them in. Usually it's the family and the LE has to approve it, but here it was LE that invited them to come assist.

Re: common sense

I wish I could say that were true; however, part of why this case caught my attention so much is that, when my own child was in middle school, I was horrified to discover through a friend that she was active on social media (against my permission). Upon confronting her, she revealed that she was active on 14 different social media sites. I was not very active on social media myself, but quickly had to become a follower on several sites to learn and watch who was following her. I will never forget how vulnerable I felt her to be at that time. It felt like we had no locks on the doors and the entire world had been invited over.
I imagine you are one of thousands of parents who go through a similar experience at any point of time. It’s crazy out there. I’m not sure if you’ve read the entire thread but my daughter deleted TikTok and my gd’s account and videos. I just walked by and saw her making a video of her and her dog. I stopped and asked what the heck she was doing since I knew she couldn’t access TikTok. She said she loaded Likee. I watched her and her friend’s video. So very cute where they can put magical stickers and glitter and such on herself and her dog. She had a princess crown on her dog with ribbons and bows on her tail. Cute. They are just playing catch. It’s her first video. Then I walked in here and looked it up.

This is what I found from Common Sense Media:
WHAT PARENTS NEED TO KNOW
Parents need to know that Likee - Formerly LIKE Video is a free video creation and editing app similar to TikTok that lets users star in their own music videos and share them online. All posts are public, though users can control who can message them: everyone or friends. Because of suggestive content and viewers being able to send messages to individual video makers, it's best for older teens. Viewers can also share and comment on other users' video content, which could result in inappropriate or mean commentary, though teens can control who messages them. There are parental controls available that are meant to filter content and disable features like private messages and live broadcasts. However, during our review, plenty of mature content was still served up, even with parental controls enabled.

Then I went to the app download site itself and read the reviews. It’s not appropriate to share those here but...
Oh Hell No!
I’m going in there right now to talk to her and tell daughter on her when she gets home from work. No more downloads of any app until we get some kind of handle on this. Eta: Likee deleted. No need to wait for daughter. Grandma has got this. No argument from gd. Good thing, cause: Too bad-So sad. It’s gone.
Daughter and I will work together to find appropriate music video editor app. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I've gone through hd's social media, watched some of the videos posted on here. Theres certainly some dubious people following him..."Matthew" and some others. Everything feels like he might have met up with an internet "friend", who knows, he might have been offered a new phone by someone.

What I cant get straight though is that he told his mother he wanted to stay at home that day....because he was sick. Unless he just planned on sneaking out on his own later I guess

One of the scenarios I’ve been unable to get out of my head involves trafficking. I’ve theorized that perhaps someone was able to build trust through one of Harley’s various social media accounts and convince him to leave. In this scenario, Harley would have been furnished with a burner phone for those times when his parents punished him by taking his phone away. Maybe a trafficker (posing as a trusted online friend) convinced him to just leave everything behind and start over elsewhere, with promises of a better life and made plans to pick him up that day. Maybe Harley, understandably nervous, couldn’t decide if he should take the chance to run away with his internet buddy, and thought to himself “I am going to tell my Mom that I’m sick. If she lets me stay home, I will stay, but if she won’t, I will take that as a sign that I am meant to do this.”

I know there are a lot of “maybes” in this hypothetical situation, which is why I am not absolutely convinced this is the case. However, one thing that has always stood out to me is that Harley does not appear to be wearing a backpack or carrying any books in that photo. I really doubt he had any intention of going to school that day. MOO.

Hoping for answers soon and finding an 'alive' Harley !
I don't think that was him on that last video photo.
Such a sad life for this teen.
This disappearance strongly reminds me of young Robert ('Bonzai') Bee's vanishing.
BBM:

I'm questioning that myself.

IF that image is of HD, then self-harm/suicide is my #1 scenario in terms of what I believe to be most likely to have happened to HD.

If that (incredibly grainy) image is NOT HD, however, foul play by person(s) known to HD immediately becomes my #1 scenario in terms of likelihood.

LE has said that they believe that to be an image of HD.

They haven't said they're certain it's him.
They haven't said they're confident it's him.

I'd like to know what confidence level/degree of certainty LE has that the vid pic is HD.

Wish reporters would ask LE this question.

JMO.

This is pure conjecture, since LE hasn't addressed these questions, but I suspect that with 18 separate agencies (& now TES) involved in the investigation into HD's disappearance, LE has had enough professional resources available to conduct comprehensive searches of the area close to HD's home as well as any other geographic areas of interest to them.
With the amount of manpower and search tools at LE's disposal, including local, state and federal agencies, they made the determination that inviting the public's participation would have been more of a hindrance than a help.
Why now?
I think the answer to that is that LE has concluded that once TES completes aerial searches, they will have exhaustively searched the locations they had reason to believe were likely spots, and came up empty.
Unfortunately, searches like this can't go on indefinitely.
They eat up both $$$ and manpower.
The public is likely now being asked/invited to search because LE is at a point of scaling back their own search efforts.
The fact that no sign of HD has surfaced despite the extensive searches (sadly) leads me back to where I always end up in my mind's eye:
Water.
JMO and HIW (Hope I'm Wrong)

I agree. This is sign that LE is pulling back on their own searching.
They've exhausted their options and turned up no sign of him. :(

This was found recently in another group.

That's from a Discord chat just in case anyone was wondering where it came from. I put a list of HD's usernames that I was able to locate through the SM's that I have.

(MPE) I'm a paranoid parent and even though my son is 18 (getting close to 19) I still monitor him considering he is still in High School and he has a 9 y/o sister. I want to make sure that he is being safe and NOT runnin his mouth to bad. He first wanted to go into the Military, now he wants to go into LE. I have to remind him that SM now reflects against him.

Sometimes us Parents have to be the voice of reason for our children. But, what do we as a society do when a child doesn't have that voice of reason or the Parental Guidance that they should? Or the monitoring to make sure they are safe? How safe did HD feel when he was getting these "threats" or this individual running their mouth? Who was he able to turn to??

(MPE= my personal experience)

New here and have a lot of reading to do but one thing I keep thinking about...does his high school not have a uniform? Are students allowed to wear sweatpants to school? If he is supposed to be in uniform, then it seems he was never planning on going to school that morning.

No uniforms in Ohio Public schools that I am aware of and definitely not in Port Clinton. We have dress codes but they are more what you "can't" wear not what you have to (ie; no drug slogans on tshirts , modest length on shorts and dresses, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyTheSleuth