Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if ANYONE has ALREADY stated this BUT, these are things I would like to know:
1- what's the width of HD's shoulders
2- shoe size
3- length of his body

Reasons I would like to know this information?? Well....a 9 inch by 13 inch space to "crawl" into, did he go head first or feet first? If feet first, would his feet fit for 1, I know he was considered smaller for his size, BUT as we saw per a picture posted here, 9x13 isn't that big or wide....would he even fit? Would his shoulders get stuck. Did he ACTUALLY climb in on his own or, (I HATE to say this) was he stuffed in. (It makes me sick to say that.

(All of this is MOO)

If I lived across from what I knew to be an unoccupied house and MY KID turned up missing and LE did not gain access to that house to conduct a full search, I would personally track down the owner and make an urgent plea to have that house searched to eliminate it. Otherwise, it would remain an unaddressed issue in my mind and I couldn't live with it.
Or break-in myself.

I think they were looking for any signs that a 14 yr old had broken into the home. And it was 'untouched' and double locked, with no signs that anyone had tried to break in.

I am not going to call them useless, incompetent idiots and compare them to Barney Fife, because they didn't think to check the chimney. I am pretty sure the officers that checked that home the previous times are now gutted and devastated. But it is not something they had envisioned, not because they are lazy or worthless, but because it didn't occur to them at the time.

I think it is unfair to personally blame the first responders for this tragedy. JMO
Thank you for saying this!!!!!!! Exactly!!!!!!!!

Compressive asphyxia
Cause of death
Per PCPD

Compressive asphyxia (also called chest compression) is mechanically limiting expansion of the lungs by compressing the torso, hence interfering with breathing. ... "Traumatic asphyxia" or "crush asphyxia" usually refers to compressive asphyxia resulting from being crushed or pinned under a large weight or force.

Asphyxia - Wikipedia

So he passed away from 'compressive asphyxiation' but it took likely 6-7 hours? I hope he was unconscious for much of that...

I'm trying to make sense of this in my mind - would he have been slowly deprived of O2 over time because of his chest being compressed and died slower because he was still able to breathe, just not enough?

Last edited:
Is there any reason not to think police could have saved his life if they acted faster?

I don't think so. His cause of death was compressive asphyxia --chest compressed, he couldn't breathe.

Police were not aware he was missing until two days after he disappeared. I believe he was dead long before notification. MOO

Look up thread at the Grinch photos.

Likely when he started down he tried to use his feet to brace himself and slid ; ended up in a fetal position. Wedged.

Asphyxia would happen quickly in that tight space. It’s well documented with rock climbers, scuba divers, miners, etc.

You get yourself into that position and it’s a quickly ticking clock. No 6-7 hours. Minutes.

I stayed up very very late last night watching the live videos and waiting for some kind of news. When I realized nothing was going to come out, I finally fell asleep.

I watched the presser earlier and everything in my soul hurts.

I have teen boys. Specifically, I have a 13 year old who makes bad decisions and who you could say has behavioral issues. Watching Harley's videos was so eye opening.

I will not cast blame or judgment.....but I hope and pray my son never ever loses sight of how very much I love him.

I ran errands today and as I'm walking out the door of a clothing store, there is a maroon puffer jacket on the rack. Then as I drove out of the parking lot, someone is crossing the street with the same jacket.

As much as I'm very good at keeping a wall up against these cases, sometimes it leaks into your personal life and it haunts you.

I just want to thank each and every one of you personally....it takes a very special person to read these cases day in and day out and want to help, even at your own emotional detriment.

I'm not skirting the issue. The police have said there appears to be no sign of foul play and he died of asphyxiation, so I'm not sure where you're coming from.
IF I am reading the question correctly she was asking a "for instance". BUT, in that case, I believe that there would have been something that would have indicated that he was "tied up and gagged" in their air searches. Then again, you would have thought that there would have been indicators from the last air search they did, BUT, they weren't looking for a "deceased" individual. Heat signatures would have been seen in earlier searches SHOULD they have been using that type of technology, it they weren't then that could explain as to why it was missed in previous searches of the area, land and air.

Compressive asphyxia (also called chest compression) is mechanically limiting expansion of the lungs by compressing the torso, hence interfering with breathing. ... "Traumatic asphyxia" or "crush asphyxia" usually refers to compressive asphyxia resulting from being crushed or pinned under a large weight or force.

Asphyxia - Wikipedia

This is good news, in a bad situation. Being asphyxiated is better than dehydration or starving to death. It could have been quick.

My thought is that he tossed the jacket and possibly the glasses fell off trying to go down the chimney itself.
Me, too. I think he may have put the coat in first thinking it would cushion the way down - and the landing - and the glasses fell off when he entered the chimney.

The Ottawa County Coroner's Office determined Harley Dilly died from compressive asphyxia.

The 14-year-old Port Clinton boy disappeared on Dec. 20, prompting massive search efforts. Authorities found his body in a house on Fulton Street, near his own home, on Monday.

The coroner's office said the manner of death appears to be accidental. Toxicology results are still pending.

Asphyxiation ruled cause of death for 14-year-old Harley Dilly

"Once in the chimney, Harley's jacket and glasses were pushed from the chimney through a flue and into the second floor of the house. The chimney was blocked between the second and first floor which trapped Harley. The chimney is approximately 9 inches by 13 inches in size."

Not sure if ANYONE has ALREADY stated this BUT, these are things I would like to know:
1- what's the width of HD's shoulders
2- shoe size
3- length of his body

Reasons I would like to know this information?? Well....a 9 inch by 13 inch space to "crawl" into, did he go head first or feet first? If feet first, would his feet fit for 1, I know he was considered smaller for his size, BUT as we saw per a picture posted here, 9x13 isn't that big or wide....would he even fit? Would his shoulders get stuck. Did he ACTUALLY climb in on his own or, (I HATE to say this) was he stuffed in. (It makes me sick to say that.

(All of this is MOO)
Managing to pull a body or an uncooperative teen up that TV antenna would be impossible. I think we can be assured that this was misadventure and not foul play. Much easier ways to dispose of a body than pulling them a couple stories onto a roof.

Have you guys seen this video. I think it shows his personality. It sure does show that he admits he's a handful but he like owns it. He also says don't let things get you down. Well, as much as this little guy wanted to be a YouTube star I think he'd be loving all the views and attention he's getting now. Unfortunately due to bad circumstances. I guess the sheriff nailed it early on that he though something happened to Harley by misadventure.

April 19th Vlog
•Apr 19, 2018

Sorry, I have to disagree on the grounds that "Harley would have been clever enough to have found another way"; of the classic teen boy-ism: the family stories where "remember the time that Bobby thought he could toboggan off the second floor roof? Broke both arms when he landed; and after we got him doctored up, we asked him what he was thinking when he came up with this plan. He said:

'I don't know. It seemed like a good idea at the time'"

In my experience, it's practically the clarion call of teenage-boy passage.
All you have to do is watch Ridiculousness to realize that guys (and not just teenage boys) don't always think before doing something. And, yes, some girls/women do, too, but just watch the show, YouTube, news, etc and it's pretty obvious that dumb/dangerous things are overwhelmingly doe by males.

So he passed away from 'compressive asphyxiation' but it took likely 6-7 hours? I hope he was unconscious for much of that...

I'm trying to make sense of this in my mind - would he have been slowly deprived of O2 over time because of his chest being compressed and died slower because he was still able to breathe, just not enough?

JMO
Until we get time of death, I dont think we can really assume he died quickly or not.

Because lets suppose he managed to get one foot or a hand onto something that helped him keep his body from going further down into a tighter place but then eventually over time he couldnt hold on any longer and finally had to let go which caused him to slide further down and eventually died of the compression.

So until we get an estimated Time of Death I dont think we can safely say this was a quick death or not. Even when autopsy is back I am not sure how accurate they can get the TOD.

I was expecting dehydration as COD unless he was stuck so tight where he couldn't wiggle or squirm. I'd think with oxygen deficiency by compression, he would have succumbed much sooner than 6-7 hours. Not sure about "compression" but I know that your brain starts dying from lack of oxygen in about 5 minutes if suffocated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radiodial