Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton HS, 20 Dec 2019 #6 *found in chimney*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Last edited:
@Gardenista thank you for posting the article that contained the BCI final report. I most likely would have never come across it.

Wow - this is such a sad case. To now have a visual of exactly how he was found it makes way more sense to me. I was always confused by the vent hole. Now I totally understand.

This poor kid suffered greatly (IMO) once he was stuck. Seeing the pics and reading the description is just heartbreaking.

I'm not sure what the feelings are in the community now but for those that were really suspicious I hope this helps settle some fears and doubts.

IIRC, the BCI stated "Dilly was in an advanced stage of decomposition". I think this gives a strong idea of what a Coroner or Medical Examiner was dealing with when his body was recovered from the chimney.

I don't believe we will ever get a specific time/date range of his death.

Last edited:

What strikes me as very interesting from this report, it is that the people who entered the house did not smell any odour of decomposition, despite the fact that the residence was previously locked tight and no windows were open to bring some fresh air. They were able to smell the odour only after removing the bricks from the chimney, despite the fact that the body was in advance state of decomposition. I personally think this fact is worth remembering for future cases. If you expect that somebody upon entering the closed residence should always immediately smell the odour of death, you should always have this case in mind.

What strikes me as very interesting from this report, it is that the people who entered the house did not smell any odour of decomposition, despite the fact that the residence was previously locked tight and no windows were open to bring some fresh air. They were able to smell the odour only after removing the bricks from the chimney, despite the fact that the body was in advance state of decomposition. I personally think this fact is worth remembering for future cases. If you expect that somebody upon entering the closed residence should always immediately smell the odour of death, you should always have this case in mind.

Agree! I was also surprised reading that. I wouldn't have thought that bricks could hold smells in like that. The cold probably helped.

I just get so heartbroken thinking of him removing his clothes to make room to breathe.

Agree! I was also surprised reading that. I wouldn't have thought that bricks could hold smells in like that. The cold probably helped.

I just get so heartbroken thinking of him removing his clothes to make room to breathe.
Chimneys are designed to vent gasses. It's literally their purpose. This particular one had a smaller opening into the house than presumably the mouth on the roof so in nearly every circumstance it would be drawing air in from the house.

I live in Ohio and one of my properties is very similar to this with a bricked up fireplace on the first floor. I don't think twice about its old chimney. It doesn't have even a stove pipe hole. Lord only knows how many dead animals are in there, I'm sure it hasn't been cleaned in fifty years

Heartbreaking to read the Report. :(

I just can't stop thinking about the panic Harley must have felt when he realized he was stuck, and unable to free himself. My only comfort comes from believing he was not alive there for days, but passed very quickly. Such a sad ending for a little boy who made one wrong choice. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966
Back