Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton HS, 20 Dec 2019 #6 *found in chimney*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So in an advanced state of decomposition- which would be completely unsurprising- how would it be determined that there were "no signs of dehydration, or anything like that"? IIRC Det. Timmons having said that in one of the press briefings soon afterward.

Investigators release interview video with Harley Dilly's mother

“On the video, Heather Dilly describes her son's typical routines and said his extended disappearance was not like him.”

Gosh, its hard to watch his mom grasping at straws in front of investigators like that. I can't even imagine how hard and terrifying it is to be interrogated about your own missing child when you are truly innocent.

It also showed a lot more information I missed the first time around, about HDs habits and rigidity in his routine. Makes me wonder if he ventured over to the neighbor's house to 'cool off' from being upset, or if he just chose it as a place to play hookie from school for the day? At the first mention of the chimney, I had wondered if he envisioned a video-game-like scenario where he really thought he could climb radio towers, jump on rooftops and down chimneys uninjured. Its very fantasy-like, and very unfortunate that such a sequence of events led to his demise.

Rest in peace, Harley Dilley. I know a lot of us were really pulling for you.

MOO.

Heartbreaking to read the Report. :(

I just can't stop thinking about the panic Harley must have felt when he realized he was stuck, and unable to free himself. My only comfort comes from believing he was not alive there for days, but passed very quickly. Such a sad ending for a little boy who made one wrong choice. :(
BBM
That's what gets me too.
Once he realized he was stuck ..you can only imagine the terror.
The thought of it all is worse than any horror movie. That sweet boy.

It seems pretty straight forward to me, just sad. He was going through adolescence and was developing a hostile relationship with his dad and discipline problems at school. He didn't want to be either place and he made a very bad decision about where to try to spend his day. Anyone who's been a 14 year old boy should be able understand the sequence of events.

Even a cell phone that doesn't have service can call 911. There was that infuriating case of the teen in the back seat of his minivan a couple years back so consider having your teenagers carry the old standby loud metal whistle as well.

It seems pretty straight forward to me, just sad. He was going through adolescence and was developing a hostile relationship with his dad and discipline problems at school. He didn't want to be either place and he made a very bad decision about where to try to spend his day. Anyone who's been a 14 year old boy should be able understand the sequence of events.

Even a cell phone that doesn't have service can call 911. There was that infuriating case of the teen in the back seat of his minivan a couple years back so consider having your teenagers carry the old standby loud metal whistle as well.
So you dont question that he was found in the "chimney " with only his underwear on and the rest of his clothes were on the floor? If he had enough room to supposedly take them off to make more room to breathe then he would have been able to breathe...correct? No question regarding mom changing her story numerous times? No questions regarding late reporting of him missing? No questions at all?? It might be cut and dry for some however some including myself it just is not that simple...sometimes its easier to just close your eyes instead of opening them I guess.

So you dont question that he was found in the "chimney " with only his underwear on and the rest of his clothes were on the floor? If he had enough room to supposedly take them off to make more room to breathe then he would have been able to breathe...correct? No question regarding mom changing her story numerous times? No questions regarding late reporting of him missing? No questions at all?? It might be cut and dry for some however some including myself it just is not that simple...sometimes its easier to just close your eyes instead of opening them I guess.
The way it was described, Harley was first stuck in a higher part of the chimney and took off some of his clothing in order to make himself smaller. Once he did that, he went further down the chimney, where there was no further room to go.

I don't think it's a matter of closing eyes, but looking at what could have realistically happened. And no, I don't think anything criminal happened. I don't think it's likely that anyone carried Harley up an antenna and dropped him down a chimney and climbed back down, in the dark, or in daylight hours without anyone seeing a thing. The house was locked up, there were no signs of entry or the house being used by anyone, sleeping, eating, or using a bathroom.

My personal feelings about the dynamic's of Harley's home life aside or any type of family dysfunction don't really matter. It's tragic that he didn't have a phone to call for help or that it took so long before anyone even realized to look for him. But I don't think anything criminal happened and that's not based on blindly accepting facts.

According to the BCI report, they also recovered one blue flashlight.

IMO, the flashlight belonged to Harley, who brought the flashlight with him with the intent to climb the antenna (in the early dark morning hours) and enter the home through the chimney.

I'm sort of getting a vague idea of what your alternative theory might be and I expect William Occam might disagree. At the risk of being snipped for not being friendly to a victim's family I think that both Harley's parents are simply self-centered. That's not exactly uncommon these days and in this case I don't think it rose to the level of neglect but their top priority both while he was with them and after he was gone was keeping him from interfering with their lives - and apparently in his father's case according to that coworker interview, how he stood to benefit from Harley's death.

Many (most) websleuths are perhaps even exceptionally compassionate but we should all be aware that this world is full of people who are not. If Harley had even one place more appealing to go than down a mysterious chimney into an abandoned house he would still be alive. If you know an adolescent like that, show them a better place.

Are you thinking that foul play may have been involved? I am not getting that feeling. It seems like quite an elaborate thing to pull off. I still would like to know how they knew to check there.

I do feel that the family dynamics led to this. I am not a parent, but it is no secret it can be difficult times raising a teenager especially one who may have had some behavioral issues or the parents may have had as well. But to me, the one no no and I guess that is how I was raised is not knowing where your minor child is, especially for more than 24 hours. They normalized that behavior so when he was in great danger there was no immediate cause for concern. It probably would not have made a difference, whether he was reported right away or not. I don't want to seem like I am blaming the parents but I guess I am. There clearly wasn't proper boundaries set in that home, if it is okay to take off for a day after a fight. What may seem as giving the child space by not knowing where they are, could also seem to them that you don't really care that much about them. What if he had made it through the chimney, how long would he have stayed there alive?

Are you thinking that foul play may have been involved? I am not getting that feeling. It seems like quite an elaborate thing to pull off. I still would like to know how they knew to check there.

I do feel that the family dynamics led to this. I am not a parent, but it is no secret it can be difficult times raising a teenager especially one who may have had some behavioral issues or the parents may have had as well. But to me, the one no no and I guess that is how I was raised is not knowing where your minor child is, especially for more than 24 hours. They normalized that behavior so when he was in great danger there was no immediate cause for concern. It probably would not have made a difference, whether he was reported right away or not. I don't want to seem like I am blaming the parents but I guess I am. There clearly wasn't proper boundaries set in that home, if it is okay to take off for a day after a fight. What may seem as giving the child space by not knowing where they are, could also seem to them that you don't really care that much about them. What if he had made it through the chimney, how long would he have stayed there alive?
Amen!

Harley Dilly would walk through Port Clinton dropping pennies along the way.

The 14-year-old Dilly thought of them as pennies from heaven that could brighten the day for someone who came across them, according to his obituary.

The Port Clinton community had rallied in hopes of finding Dilly, searching the area after he was reported missing on Dec. 21, only to end up confronting the worst possible outcome: The teen's body was found inside a chimney on Jan. 13 at 507 Fulton St., 400 feet from his home at 517 E. Fifth St.
Photos: Search for Port Clinton teen Harley Dilly
An autopsy ruled the cause of death to be compressive asphyxia.

The freshmen at Port Clinton High School left an indelible mark on those around him.

Lillie Rolen, a classmate of Dilly, said she had known the teen since middle school.

"We would always talk to each in the halls," she said. "He was such a nice kid."

Rolen said she was in choir and health class with Dilly, saying he always made everyone laugh.

"Everything he said was just so kind," said Rolen. "When I made it into my school's a capella group, he was so sweet and congratulated me and always cheered me on."

Dilly enjoyed singing, gaming, robotics and creating videos for his YouTube channel, according to his obituary.

He had a very giving heart and became very brave. He hated to make mistakes and was inspired to become a counselor or a leader in the future," his obituary said.
Top stories of 2020, Part 5: Harley Dilly leaves loving legacy

Harley Dilly would walk through Port Clinton dropping pennies along the way.

The 14-year-old Dilly thought of them as pennies from heaven that could brighten the day for someone who came across them, according to his obituary.

The Port Clinton community had rallied in hopes of finding Dilly, searching the area after he was reported missing on Dec. 21, only to end up confronting the worst possible outcome: The teen's body was found inside a chimney on Jan. 13 at 507 Fulton St., 400 feet from his home at 517 E. Fifth St.
Photos: Search for Port Clinton teen Harley Dilly
An autopsy ruled the cause of death to be compressive asphyxia.

The freshmen at Port Clinton High School left an indelible mark on those around him.

Lillie Rolen, a classmate of Dilly, said she had known the teen since middle school.

"We would always talk to each in the halls," she said. "He was such a nice kid."

Rolen said she was in choir and health class with Dilly, saying he always made everyone laugh.

"Everything he said was just so kind," said Rolen. "When I made it into my school's a capella group, he was so sweet and congratulated me and always cheered me on."

Dilly enjoyed singing, gaming, robotics and creating videos for his YouTube channel, according to his obituary.

He had a very giving heart and became very brave. He hated to make mistakes and was inspired to become a counselor or a leader in the future," his obituary said.
Top stories of 2020, Part 5: Harley Dilly leaves loving legacy

Thank you for sharing this note about him dropping pennies through his walks.

I'm going to take that into 2021 and do something similar.. and up it a little for folks to find during these most difficult times.

Thanks for sharing and giving me the idea!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MADELINE123654
Back