Found Deceased OH - Joey LaBute, 26, Columbus, 4 March 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it has been mentioned that Joey had some hookup type apps on his phone, such as GRINDR. It's possible maybe he was lured out of the bar by someone who "met" on such an app? With the Arnold Classic in town at the time, I am positive there were probably many people from outside the area on these apps. There are often times some pretty shady people on these types of apps, and I have often thought it would be a perfect tool for someone to lure individuals for nefarious purposes.

It would maybe make sense that is why he left the bar that night without saying anything; maybe it was suppose to be a quick meet up just to see the person in person and Joey thought he would be back right away. Then the weird text and "I'm driving" phone call....I don't know. Very baffling. And again, those new to this type of case really need to do a search on the number of young college aged guys who have gone missing from bars and/or while out with friends in the last 15 years or so. It is highly disturbing.

Yet another day goes by.... and nothing new..no updates.
Not sure how many people feel about this. But, I would be interested in having a crime psychic introduced to this case. With no new leads or news, it is becoming quite concerning if Joey will ever be solved. Anyone know if these "psychics" have ever proven to be helpful or beneficial in any missing persons cases? It's just a thought....maybe it would give us some other avenues to explore..
Also, I wish the Scioto River would be searched more extensively. There should be a dive team out there!!! Joey HAS to be somewhere- he could be anywhere or he could be RIGHT underneath our noses.

The inaction from CPD is really perplexing. I sincerely hope they know something we do not. All talk of Joey (local media, Twitter/Facebook, etc.) just stops around March 11th-12th. That is something I've never seen before in a missing persons case.

They absolutely need to be sending dive teams into the Scioto and Olentangy. Check area ponds, streams, etc. Look in storm sewers. Sigh.

I know it has been mentioned that Joey had some hookup type apps on his phone, such as GRINDR. It's possible maybe he was lured out of the bar by someone who "met" on such an app? With the Arnold Classic in town at the time, I am positive there were probably many people from outside the area on these apps. There are often times some pretty shady people on these types of apps, and I have often thought it would be a perfect tool for someone to lure individuals for nefarious purposes.

It would maybe make sense that is why he left the bar that night without saying anything; maybe it was suppose to be a quick meet up just to see the person in person and Joey thought he would be back right away. Then the weird text and "I'm driving" phone call....I don't know. Very baffling. And again, those new to this type of case really need to do a search on the number of young college aged guys who have gone missing from bars and/or while out with friends in the last 15 years or so. It is highly disturbing.

Yes- that idea has been bounced around quite a bit in earlier posts. It seems to me that it really is the only thing that makes sense at this point.
That is why I am circling around the notion that information from these dating apps needs to be released to authorities or family- hoping that it is already underway- there is no telling how long it may take for those records to be released.
It could be someone familiar to him (that he has met up with before) or it could be someone that is a stranger- with the amount of people in town for the Arnold, there would be an abundance of people (that use the app) in the area- so many fresh faces. I am thinking that this person messaged him and told Joey that he was outside of the bar (maybe in a car?)- Joey went outside to meet him and was somehow lured away....

It would maybe make sense that is why he left the bar that night without saying anything; maybe it was suppose to be a quick meet up just to see the person in person and Joey thought he would be back right away.

There's an episode of criminal minds where men are going missing from bars while with their friends. They had to ask them selves, what's one thing that cause a man to leave his friends and go off on his own: a woman. A potential hook-up.

It rings very true here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know how long it takes to get phone records (if a request has been made)???
I'm anxious to find out who he had been communicating with- answer lies in phone records !

From what I've read, in most cases of a missing person, the missing persons family can request recent phone records (and the most recent pings), from the phone carrier.
They need the persons name, phone number, their birthdate and a written police report that the person is in fact missing and possibly endangered.

Most cell phone companies are compliant with this request and if they are not then the family can ask the detective or the police department to request the records for them.

It is my understanding, that a court order for cell phone records is only needed when those phone records will be used for litigation in an actual court proceeding.

Requesting Records of a Missing Person

If someone goes missing or is suspected of being kidnapped, you can call the phone company to not only get their cell phone records, but possibly ping their cell phone to see exactly where the phone (and usually the person, if the phone is on them) is located. To do this, you may need the help of the local police. Either call yourself and explain that the individual has gone missing and provide a copy of the police report by fax or by e-mail, or request a police officer make the call instead. The cell phone company will provide you with the times of the most recent phone calls and texts, and the phone numbers they were made to. They can also track the location of the phone by tracking what towers were used when the last phone call was made, or ping the phone using their GPS system to see where the phone is now if it is turned on.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5140492_cell-phone-records.html

There's an episode of criminal minds where men are going missing from bars while with their friends. They had to ask them selves, what's one thing that cause a man to leave his friends and go off on his own: a woman. A potential hook-up.

It rings very true here.

There's literally hundreds of these cases. There's long threads here on WS that span over the years discussing many of them.

I listened to a 2015 Coast to Coast radio interview yesterday with Missing 411 author David Paulides about his recent book on these bright, young men disappearing in cities all over the country many under the very same circumstances.

Out at a bar with friends, they leave the table for a minute and they vanish. There's no video surveillance of them ever leaving the bar. It's really creepy but IMO well worth the listen as he's done extensive research on hundreds of these cases. The interview is on YouTube and is 2-1/2 hours long.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3j1o2E5chrg

So when will the private investigator be hired? They raised more than $17k and the longer they wait the worse off. The evidence will be washed away. It's so odd that they are waiting. The police should welcome to additional help and now they have money and they aren't doing anything with it.

So when will the private investigator be hired? They raised more than $17k and the longer they wait the worse off. The evidence will be washed away. It's so odd that they are waiting. The police should welcome to additional help and now they have money and they aren't doing anything with it.

I totally agree with you.
I know that the family was "holding off" on the PI because CPD was doing such a great job on the case. So, if that were the case, it seems to me that there is information that is obviously being withheld from public? I mean I wouldn't feel comfortable holding off on any PI (if that was the plan), unless I fully trusted that CPD had leads and pertinent information.
Something is holding them back from hiring a PI.....that just shows that they know something.....I think

What's strange to me is that there seems to be no one tweeting or sharing Joey's missing flyer or picture anymore. I read on the Community FB page someone said that the family were advised not to speak to media, but that doesn't mean people should stop searching or tweeting/sharing his photo, does it?? Not bashing, but it's just seems very strange. Praying that CPD is working extra hard on this!

Re: "I'm driving" text...

Since Joeys car was found supposedly right where HE left it, it seems either
1) Joey just didn't want to engage in conversation;
2) Joey wanted to give the impression he had left the cafe;
2) Joey was the driver of someone elses vehicle;
3) Someone else sent the text from Joey's phone...

Or???? What else might fit? What other possibilities are there?

Re: "I'm driving" text...

Since Joeys car was found supposedly right where HE left it, it seems either
1) Joey just didn't want to engage in conversation;
2) Joey wanted to give the impression he had left the cafe;
2) Joey was the driver of someone elses vehicle;
3) Someone else sent the text from Joey's phone...

Or???? What else might fit? What other possibilities are there?

The only scenario that somewhat makes sense in my mind is.....
He received a message from someone (whether it be text, through dating app, facebook..)
That person indicated that they were outside or in the area, but having trouble parking...
Joey leaves Union and meets this individual by their car...
This individual asks Joey to hop in the car (maybe this person is unfamiliar with the area) and asks Joey to help him find a place to park (seeing as though parking SUCKS in the Short North, not to mention it was Arnold weekend... extra busy)
Joey gets in the car- maybe an argument ensues? Something happens and this person drives off with Joey
I believe Joey may have answered the phone in this person's car- but did not want the person on the other line to know that he was with someone (obviously) and hangs up quickly... maybe because Joey and this person were engaged in an argument?

I just keep thinking that his disappearance is a familiar person's responsibility...

Adding...

Cousin Stacey, half-bro Patrick & friend (since they were 12) Justin video/interviews: http://nbc4i.com/2016/03/10/family-desperate-for-news-about-missing-man-as-search-enters-sixth-day/

Just a sidenote: the friend (Justin) in the video at the link above WORKS at Union Cafe...

Okay, that is the video that I was thinking of a few pages back where a picture is shown in the video of him and Stacey that night in Union - either from snapchat or just a random selfie. You can make out a bit of his flannel shirt, although the image quality isn't great.

BBM above...

From what you see of Joey in the picture of him & Stacey taken that night at Union -- does his shirt appear to be brownish/blue as described in his missing poster?

12017_596382680513503_4748580930968337077_n.jpg

:dunno:

I wonder if Joeys aunt actually heard his voice say " I'm driving" when she called him or if she received an automated response from the "I'm Driving" for Android app?

"I'm Driving" for Android

About:

Don't use your phone while driving, but don't ignore your friends!

The objective of I'm Driving is to prevent you from using your smartphone while driving.

How it works:

Basically you just have to turn the app on before starting to drive, and off afterwards.

It works by sending an automated (user-defined) message to anyone who tries to contact you via a call or text message.

You have a lot of settings (Reply only to contacts, Silent mode). This version doesn't include "Private Group" functionality.

If you need this feature (or want to know what it is), check I'm Driving (full) app.

http://imdrivingapp.net

So the 'I'm driving' wasn't a text????....my bad....he actually SPOKE to the caller???

Ugggggggggggggggg.

:thud:

So the 'I'm driving' wasn't a text????....my bad....he actually SPOKE to the caller???

Ugggggggggggggggg.

:thud:
I may of misunderstood. I was thinking it was a voice conversation that Joey told his aunt "I'm driving"...but I may be wrong on that.

Apparently Justin was also a Joey's roommate at a time- not sure if Joey had been living alone before he disappeared.

“Something interrupted his trip between Union and his car. And we have no idea what it is. None whatsoever,” Joey’s father Joe LaBute said.

As detectives piece together Joey’s digital footprint to try and track him down, his family members are helping Columbus and Gahanna police step up their search by walking the Short North around Union Café handing out flyers with Joey’s picture.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories...r-man-who-disappeared-friday-in-columbus.html

Bumping this article up from earlier --- March 7th....

So father says something interrupted him between cafe & car but yet he somehow communicated "I'm driving"

:thinking:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member