Found Deceased OH - Joey LaBute, 26, Columbus, 4 March 2016 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
f4c8084c92d2e365e7d93b1282f0864c.jpg

That park is pretty big and there are a few paths that lead close to the river, that are located above the peninsula. Maybe him and whoever were strolling through the park when whatever incident happened, and maybe he was placed in the river from one of those paths that are close to the water. The current isn't very fast in Scioto and he could have been under for a week or so before slowly floating over to the other side of the river and down river a little to where it bends, then got hung up on debris close to the edge. If you watch the news video where they're retrieving the body from the water and putting in the boat; they are on the other side of the river. There is a boat ramp that's old, nearly overgrown, and never used within feet of where he was removed. You can see in the video where a man is standing on that ramp while they're removing the body to place into the boat. Then the boat that retrieved him is heading down river, around the peninsula, and over to the boat ramp where the news reporters are standing.

Here's the link to the video I'm referring to.
http://nbc4i.com/2016/03/30/police-still-working-to-identify-body-found-in-scioto-river/

Also it's good to note, they would've have had to use boats to recover his body if he were actually found beside the boat ramp like the several of the other news reporters had stated in other interviews. He was transported across the river to the boat ramp where the coroners van picked him up. I took a still shot of that news report clip I loaded so you can see where the body was recovered. There is a man standing on the bank where their loading the body into a boat and at the top of the picture in the right hand corner is a man standing on the old and overgrown boat launch ramp that I'm referring to.
d4494303756aa8c9aecba8d5508fc79e.jpg

83d2fc6dc38b697c8e3d26470ea5b821.jpg

Screen shot from news clip.
The man standing on the bank in the center of the picture next to the gray boat is where the body is. The boat on the left with several occupants is heading toward him. On the top right corner is a man standing on the old overgrown boat launch ramp. This is located across the river from the boat dock that everyone is referring to. They load he body where they find him, then travel down river to get around the peninsula (since the water is extremely shallow around it), then slightly back upriver to the waiting coroner van which is parked at the parks boat dock.

Do you happen to know the outcome of this man's body found (by the boat ramp) case from April 2011??

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2011/04/14/story-columbus-body-found-whittier-boat-ramp.html

This is the only official report about it. Source : CPD incident press release database

Media Information Date: April 14, 2011
Columbus Division of Police
Crimes Against Persons Bureau / Homicide Unit
Walter L. Distelzweig, Chief of Police
For further information, contact: Det. Ron Custer #1255 Phone: (614) - 645 - 4730 Ext:
Type of Offense/Incident: D.O.A Date: 4/14/11 Time: 12:00pm
Location of Offense/Incident: Scioto Audibon Metro Park- W. Whittier St. Zone: 5 Precinct: 11
NetRMS Report #: 110301050 Cruiser District: 113
Victim: Unknown Sex: M Race: W Age: 45-50

Incident Summary: On April 14, 2011 at 12:00pm a fisherman who was on the Scioto River observed an unknown male lying on the penisula west of Whittier St.- north of the Greenlawn Ave. dam. No identification or identifying marks were observed on the victim. The cause of death is unknown pending an autopsy.

fff65d7c13a99a4a7aa2a6267ce717ec.jpg

Top of map shows a old road bridge (Mount St maybe, earlier I called it Rich St). It passes over I-70 and goes from the street to the park.

43befcdefa0ca45e674a7d831e29b9f5.jpg

This map shows a closer view of bridge. Appears some homeless camps are in the overgrown area.

ec6d0cc8193f9404334a8b1e236e1fde.jpg

This is a close up map of possible homeless camp. I turned the image and lowered the horizon view to get a better image of what's there. Looks like three little huts or something. I've never been there but might be worth checking out for some brave souls who want to wonder up and maybe talk to some people about, what if anything, they saw that night.

*map views are took with an iPhone 6s

Welcome peep! :wagon:

I posted the Coast to Coast podcast up thread that you referred to in your previous post and I too found it very interesting. I don't believe so much in all of the conspiracy theories either, but nonetheless found Paulides research to be very informative.
I've been reading for several years about these men going missing all over county under very similar circumstances. I've since listened to a more recent interview with Steph Young who has researched many of these cases as well.

Ms. Young works along with retired LE, retired DEA agents, and PI's in her research. She has a lot of new and interesting info and there's no conspiracy theories involved...just cold, hard facts. Well worth a listen, IMO.

The interview is from February 2016 and she begins the discussion about missing men around the 10:00 minute mark.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vEdO3WE1ebU

Hi osu! Thanks a lot! I will give that a listen for sure! And I appreciate the Paulide post. It was very informative indeed. I'm all about cold, hard facts. :woot:

Hi osu! Thanks a lot! I will give that a listen for sure! And I appreciate the Paulide post. It was very informative indeed. I'm all about cold, hard facts. :woot:

I gave it a listen, not really being familiar with Ms. Young. I have researched many of these cases and myself have discovered the similarities and connections, but hearing her discuss some of the specific cases again in detail, it is mind boggling that so many still dismiss all of these drownings as simply "accidental."

I believe the coroner's finding that precluded drowning was an absense of water in the lungs. A drowning victim gasps for air, but takes in water--filling the lungs. Lungs are full of small cavities that hold air. Even when breathing stops the retain some air--like a sponge. So, there would be some initial buoyancy--balanced by bones, muscle mass and the like.

I wonder about the Audubon Park. Sorta new, used to be the site of the police impound lot. Not sure how "parky" it is, or what the actual water access is like. The aerial looks like there might be a fair amout of vegetation--enough to block access? How far out into the water would one have to be either launch or sink a body? Would dumping from a bridge be more likely?

From the autopsy, they should be able to conclude if it was a possible overdose- lungs that are filled with fluid are indicative of a drug overdose.
If that were something that was observed, it should have been reported by Coroner after autopsy.
I only know this because of my father passing in February- there was no COD, but Medical Examiner told me that lungs were filled with fluid ( which is probably overdose of some sort).

This is the only official report about it. Source : CPD incident press release database

Media Information Date: April 14, 2011
Columbus Division of Police
Crimes Against Persons Bureau / Homicide Unit
Walter L. Distelzweig, Chief of Police
For further information, contact: Det. Ron Custer #1255 Phone: (614) - 645 - 4730 Ext:
Type of Offense/Incident: D.O.A Date: 4/14/11 Time: 12:00pm
Location of Offense/Incident: Scioto Audibon Metro Park- W. Whittier St. Zone: 5 Precinct: 11
NetRMS Report #: 110301050 Cruiser District: 113
Victim: Unknown Sex: M Race: W Age: 45-50

Incident Summary: On April 14, 2011 at 12:00pm a fisherman who was on the Scioto River observed an unknown male lying on the penisula west of Whittier St.- north of the Greenlawn Ave. dam. No identification or identifying marks were observed on the victim. The cause of death is unknown pending an autopsy.

I am almost certain that a body was recovered from the same location last year - I lived right by the location and recently moved
I remember that a body was found last year (may be year before, but don't think so)- I remember recovery units/CPD had the entire entrance on Greenlawn blocked off...
I can try to find the article. I am almost positive....

fff65d7c13a99a4a7aa2a6267ce717ec.jpg

Top of map shows a old road bridge (Mount St maybe, earlier I called it Rich St). It passes over I-70 and goes from the street to the park.

43befcdefa0ca45e674a7d831e29b9f5.jpg

This map shows a closer view of bridge. Appears some homeless camps are in the overgrown area.

ec6d0cc8193f9404334a8b1e236e1fde.jpg

This is a close up map of possible homeless camp. I turned the image and lowered the horizon view to get a better image of what's there. Looks like three little huts or something. I've never been there but might be worth checking out for some brave souls who want to wonder up and maybe talk to some people about, what if anything, they saw that night.

*map views are took with an iPhone 6s

Yes, I am telling you- it is a very shady area. I would NEVER run down that path alone.
I quit riding my bike down the path because there are some questionable people either on the path or squatting in woods outlining the path.
So- to any of you brave souls- please take someone with you if you want to investigate. Wish I was still in town to be a part of it.
There is also an area where homeless gather (on Whittier and S. Front)- it is behind that big brick building (which is abandoned- looks like it used to be some sort of factory)- it is on your left if you are heading towards downtown- Homeless gather behind that building and by rail road tracks. Alot of people drop off food or clothing to that location- it is possible that someone DID in fact see something that evening.

From the autopsy, they should be able to conclude if it was a possible overdose- lungs that are filled with fluid are indicative of a drug overdose.
If that were something that was observed, it should have been reported by Coroner after autopsy.
I only know this because of my father passing in February- there was no COD, but Medical Examiner told me that lungs were filled with fluid ( which is probably overdose of some sort).

I would think that the type of fluid and where it is coming from would determine if drugs or other things are involved. Having fluid in the lungs is part of the normal dying process.

The police thought he was in good shape, but the Coroner did not think he was in good shape. They needed dental records to identify him.

My thought is on this, the body in cold water may have been in "good shape" but as soon as it was pulled out of cold water to warm air are quickly degraded to bad shape.

My thought is on this, the body in cold water may have been in "good shape" but as soon as it was pulled out of cold water to warm air are quickly degraded to bad shape.

Yes, and the detectives definition of "good shape" might be different than the coroner's. The detective may have been referring to the fact that you could tell the body was a young man, he was still in one piece, he was fully clothed, the remains were not skeletal, etc. From the coroner's perspective, when trying to ID the body, she was not able to use facial features, fingerprints, etc because of the condition he was in from being dead & in the water ~3 weeks.

I would think that the type of fluid and where it is coming from would determine if drugs or other things are involved. Having fluid in the lungs is part of the normal dying process.

Yes- but fluid in the lungs can be caused by outside factors- which could prove to be indicative of possible cause of death.
high altitude
illicit drug use/drug overdose
lung damage
severe trauma
major injury
near-drowning

Other factors contribute to the lungs being filled with fluid at death- however, it would be more common for an older person (heart attack, pancreaitis, kidney failure)
http://www.healthline.com/health/pulmonary-edema#RiskFactors2

Maybe. I would just throw in that parking in the Short North is sparse, and on a busy weekend even more so. Odds of being able to leave a parking spot and return to it are kinda sketchy.

Thurber Gate Apartments where he was apparently parked, you have to have a parking pass to park in the lot, which Joey still had his according to mutual friends of ours from when he used to live there and that he normally parked there when going to Union etc.. There also are no security cameras monitoring this lot, just two inside the apartment complex one by rental office and one by laundry area.

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

Yes- but fluid in the lungs can be caused by outside factors- which could prove to be indicative of possible cause of death.
high altitude
illicit drug use/drug overdose
lung damage
severe trauma
major injury
near-drowning

Other factors contribute to the lungs being filled with fluid at death- however, it would be more common for an older person (heart attack, pancreaitis, kidney failure)
http://www.healthline.com/health/pulmonary-edema#RiskFactors2

I suspect that it may be possible to distinguish between bodily fluids and river water in the lungs--just a guess, though. I also wonder if there may be some distinctions as to location. A drowning person who inhales water is likely to fill the esophagus, maybe nasal passages as well, where accumulating bodily fluids (which effectively "drown" a person in some of the kinds of cases you mention) may show up deeper in the lungs--slowly filling the lungs so that they are unable to take in air.

Again--I am no expert.

This was just posted on the Go Fund Me page for Joey. It made me sad.

We would like everyone to know that we are in the process of processing reimbursements to everyone that generously contributed to this campaign.
We can't thank you all enough for the amazing support and love we felt in our quest to find Joey and bring him home ❤

(my apologies if posting this is not allowed)

Ok so earlier tonight I went on a little hiking adventure to see the exact layout and how difficult it would be to get to where they found Joey's body. First, let me just say that it's impossible for anyone to place his body on the side of the park, Notice the security camera that I was speaking of in a previous post
7ebc598069cf19a5c1a6328570635911.jpg
3f2f86339ff02799520c9236c249d70d.jpg

I then went across the river over to the access road that runs behind the new fire station, and they have that access road blocked off with cement barriers right behind the fire station and before the new cell phone tower
The only possible way for someone to get to where they found his body either on foot or with some sort of vehicle would be from the opposite direction, so basically coming from downtown heading south.
460e15fca1eac4792c8abe432ace6cb6.jpg

That is the jogging path that runs from the boat launch up through the park on the east side of the river, there is an observation deck that is at the very top of the peninsula
e78f0ba3d3c0e0a8c6032c16602b9069.jpg
0582c9b16e31d46ba502222803c64016.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members