Found Deceased OH - Joey LaBute, 26, Columbus, 4 March 2016 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just wanted to explain some gay slang to people here. I noticed that a mod censored the word "trick" in a reply. In gay slang the word trick doesn't mean what it means for straights, as in regard to prostitution. In gay slang a trick is a hook up, a person you meet up with for quick sex. It's not a relationship. There's no emotional ties. It's usually anonymous and one time only. So if Joey was using gay sex apps, and it's looking like that's the case, then he would be someone's trick and vice versa.

Just wanted to explain some gay slang to people here. I noticed that a mod censored the word "trick" in a reply. In gay slang the word trick doesn't mean what it means for straights, as in regard to prostitution. In gay slang a trick is a hook up, a person you meet up with for quick sex. It's not a relationship. There's no emotional ties. It's usually anonymous and one time only. So if Joey was using gay sex apps, and it's looking like that's the case, then he would be someone's trick and vice versa.

That mod would be me :blushing: Thanks for explaining the term. I honestly had no idea and was trying to keep this thread as respectful and accurate as possible.

That mod would be me :blushing: Thanks for explaining the term. I honestly had no idea and was trying to keep this thread as respectful and accurate as possible.

I think my eyes bulged out of my head when I read that! I am glad to have learned something new today.

I was wondering why it was censored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mod note:

While it has been brought to our attention that the term "trick" has a different meaning in the gay community, it has for hundreds of years been known to mean a prostitute's customer and carries a negative connotation to many. At Websleuths, we simply don't have the time to educate everyone who reads here in slang. For that reason, we'd appreciate if you'd use the terms hook-up, meet-up, etc. from here on out so as to avoid any confusion and/or misunderstanding that could derail the thread and take the focus away from Joey. Thanks!

So a trick is a one night hook up, prostitute or gay..... What am I missing ?

ETA: Ok, I just caught up reading the following posts that the meaning is different, but how is it different then? It still sounds like it's fundamentally the same thing, to me.

So a trick is a one night hook up, prostitute or gay..... What am I missing ?

ETA: Ok, I just caught up reading the following posts that the meaning is different, but how is it different then? It still sounds like it's fundamentally the same thing, to me.
The difference is this: For most straight people, trick means you are hooking up and paying, i.e.: prostitution. In the gay community, it means a one time hookup - not prostitution - a "date" for sex only, usually one time only, no "dinner and a movie" type date.

The difference is this: For most straight people, trick means you are hooking up and paying, i.e.: prostitution. In the gay community, it means a one time hookup - not prostitution - a "date" for sex only, usually one time only, no "dinner and a movie" type date.

I get it, straight people actually do this, at least they did back in my single years, lol. But it wasn't called a trick, it was called a "one night stand", lol.

Most one night stands involve interaction, talking, buying of drinks, etc. Gay tricks or hook ups usually don't involve any of that. Back in the day when most gays cruised for sex then most tricks were anonymous without each other knowing their names or even talking to each other for that matter. Just anonymous sex and scram.

In today's gay scene instead of cruising guys chat over apps or Craigslist, exchange nude pics and then meet up for sex and then scram. These apps are described as "dating apps" but I can assure you that they are for fast sex. I'm not sure if heteros understand just how promiscuous gays are. As a gay myself I can assure you that if a gay guy is young, attractive and popular then he is almost assuredly very promiscuous. Also, another thing that heteros don't understand about us is that even when we are in relationships it's very common for it to be of the open variety where both parties are able to seek out sex with other people on the side. It's very rare for a gay couple to be 100% committed to each other and only sleep with each other, especially for the young. Now older gay couples may be but young ones definitely are not. I know this from personal experience as about half of the men who hit on me are in a relationship and are either waning to cheat on their partner, admit to having an open relationship, or are looking for a threesome.

On an unrelated note, I've noticed that all of the pictures of Joey except for the ones taken on the night he disappeared were old, like years old. Why? Is there not any recent pictures of him? I just find it odd that when he was missing they were using old pictures of him.

Per the CPD, the person who was with Joey may not have done anything (criminally) wrong, perhaps the person only just panicked. I wish the person would find a way to let the family and public know what happened.

http://www.10tv.com/article/police-...ention-joey-labute-case-during-pride-festival

I'm incredibly saddened to read this. If you read between the lines the police are practically admitting they know nothing. If they have to stoop to begging the person who was with him last to come forward then there really is no hope left. I feel so sorry for the family. I pray they have the strength to be able to live without having answers as to what happened to Joey.

Most one night stands involve interaction, talking, buying of drinks, etc. Gay tricks or hook ups usually don't involve any of that. Back in the day when most gays cruised for sex then most tricks were anonymous without each other knowing their names or even talking to each other for that matter. Just anonymous sex and scram.

In today's gay scene instead of cruising guys chat over apps or Craigslist, exchange nude pics and then meet up for sex and then scram. These apps are described as "dating apps" but I can assure you that they are for fast sex. I'm not sure if heteros understand just how promiscuous gays are. As a gay myself I can assure you that if a gay guy is young, attractive and popular then he is almost assuredly very promiscuous. Also, another thing that heteros don't understand about us is that even when we are in relationships it's very common for it to be of the open variety where both parties are able to seek out sex with other people on the side. It's very rare for a gay couple to be 100% committed to each other and only sleep with each other, especially for the young. Now older gay couples may be but young ones definitely are not. I know this from personal experience as about half of the men who hit on me are in a relationship and are either waning to cheat on their partner, admit to having an open relationship, or are looking for a threesome.

On an unrelated note, I've noticed that all of the pictures of Joey except for the ones taken on the night he disappeared were old, like years old. Why? Is there not any recent pictures of him? I just find it odd that when he was missing they were using old pictures of him.

Sounds like a sad and lonely life for these young people, I wonder why they devalue and objectify themselves so. :( But thanks for filling me in.

Per the CPD, the person who was with Joey may not have done anything (criminally) wrong, perhaps the person only just panicked. I wish the person would find a way to let the family and public know what happened.

http://www.10tv.com/article/police-...ention-joey-labute-case-during-pride-festival

Do you really expect them to say "turn yourself in and we will put you in prison?" if they are trying to get this person to come forward. If Joey was dead when placed into the water, then somebody placed the body into the water.

Sounds like a sad and lonely life for these young people, I wonder why they devalue and objectify themselves so. :( But thanks for filling me in.
I don't think they look at it that way.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

In today's gay scene instead of cruising guys chat over apps or Craigslist, exchange nude pics and then meet up for sex and then scram. These apps are described as "dating apps" but I can assure you that they are for fast sex. I'm not sure if heteros understand just how promiscuous gays are.

Like anything else in life, gay dating apps are what you make of them. Yes, many/most regular users are looking for casual sex. Others are not. As someone who casually interacted with Joey on these apps, I can tell you that is not necessarily what he was seeking.

There's been a lot of connecting the dots between using gay dating apps and his demise. It's certainly a possibility but we simply know nothing. I still find it hard to believe he would ditch his cousins at Union for a sudden Grindr/Scruff hookup. Plus, I'm sure Grindr/Scruff provided CPD with Joey's recent correspondence on those apps. One would think that correspondence would create a lead if it was linked to his death in some way. We're essentially at square one.

Two points:
1) I met my partner on a gay dating app and we are in a monogamous relationship. It does happen, but it is rare.
2) I would think the police would have analyzed any online activity and found nothing. That means a person they can't track (unlikely but possible) or an in-person meeting without first contact on line.

Like anything else in life, gay dating apps are what you make of them. Yes, many/most regular users are looking for casual sex. Others are not. As someone who casually interacted with Joey on these apps, I can tell you that is not necessarily what he was seeking.

There's been a lot of connecting the dots between using gay dating apps and his demise. It's certainly a possibility but we simply know nothing. I still find it hard to believe he would ditch his cousins at Union for a sudden Grindr/Scruff hookup. Plus, I'm sure Grindr/Scruff provided CPD with Joey's recent correspondence on those apps. One would think that correspondence would create a lead if it was linked to his death in some way. We're essentially at square one.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like one.....point being that everyone in the gay community knows what the apps are for. So it's extremely safe to assume that Joey was using the apps in the same fashion as the majority of people who use them. There's no shame in it. He wasn't in a committed relationship and was free to pursue his life as he deemed.

Using a gay sex app for a hook up does not mean that Joey was ditching his cousins. A quickie is a quickie and he may have had the intentions of returning.

Also, the fact that Joey went to the restroom before leaving might indicate he was preparing for a hook up. Of course he may have just needed to go to the restroom. Most straight people don't know that gay guys have to prepare in advance for sex.

We don't know what if any information gay sex apps keep on their users. It may very well be that they keep nothing or very little info to ensure the anonymity of users.

If it walks like a duck and quacks like one.....point being that everyone in the gay community knows what the apps are for. So it's extremely safe to assume that Joey was using the apps in the same fashion as the majority of people who use them. There's no shame in it. He wasn't in a committed relationship and was free to pursue his life as he deemed.

Using a gay sex app for a hook up does not mean that Joey was ditching his cousins. A quickie is a quickie and he may have had the intentions of returning.

Also, the fact that Joey went to the restroom before leaving might indicate he was preparing for a hook up. Of course he may have just needed to go to the restroom. Most straight people don't know that gay guys have to prepare in advance for sex.

We don't know what if any information gay sex apps keep on their users. It may very well be that they keep nothing or very little info to ensure the anonymity of users.

I agree on many of these points. When you're young and have been drinking, it is totally plausible that he would sneak out for a hook up even though he was hanging with a couple family members.

I agree with the plausibility of the hookup thing as well, but I am offended at the generalizations that were made above about the gay community. Proud2beme does NOT speak for Joey or the gay community. I seriously almost threw up after reading those posts...not appropriate!

Most straight people don't know that gay guys have to prepare in advance for sex.

Would you please explain what you mean by this? Thanks in advance for your insight.

And asserting that gay-identified folks are very promiscuous is indeed painting with quite a wide brush - sounds tantamount to saying that some childless people don't know how much babies like bananas.

ETA: yes, it's an odd analogy but I am leaving it. Think about it first.

Would you please explain what you mean by this? Thanks in advance for your insight.

Mods, please delete if inappropriate..

Pre-lube and sometimes back end douching.

If any of you read the David Messerschmidt (sp) threads, there's a bit about it there.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08