Found Deceased OH - Joey LaBute, 26, Columbus, 4 March 2016 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I agree with the plausibility of the hookup thing as well, but I am offended at the generalizations that were made above about the gay community. Proud2beme does NOT speak for Joey or the gay community. I seriously almost threw up after reading those posts...not appropriate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At no time here have I ever claimed to speak for Joey. At no time have I ever claimed to speak for the entire gay community. I am a gay man and I can assure you that nothing I wrote is controversial.

Would you please explain what you mean by this? Thanks in advance for your insight.

And asserting that gay-identified folks are very promiscuous is indeed painting with quite a wide brush - sounds tantamount to saying that some childless people don't know how much babies like bananas.

ETA: yes, it's an odd analogy but I am leaving it. Think about it first.

Botttoms have to make sure they are clean down there, douching and then lube.

The claim that young gay men are very promiscuous is not controversial at all. Note that I didn't say every young gay man is promiscuous. Of course there are exceptions. Remember, these "gay dating apps" are really used to find fast sex. ;)

Sounds like a sad and lonely life for these young people, I wonder why they devalue and objectify themselves so. :( But thanks for filling me in.

What I observe with people about 1-2 decades behind me is a more casual attitude or philosophy about sexual acts. Sex is likely to be viewed as fun, healthy, and recreational. I don't think young people being "promiscuous" is devaluing or objectifying, rather, I think it's a new generation perhaps coming up in an age where sex isn't tied up into religion, rigid mores, or judgments. Much like the increasing mainstream acceptance of gender as a social construct or sexuality being on a spectrum, I think sexual activity is much more viewed as a healthy, positive expression of trust and connection, but doesn't necessarily require a level of intimacy that generations past have demanded of "legitimate" relationships. I don't think this is a bad thing. Eventually, those who desire a more intimate or exclusive relationships generally find one another. I do have concerns about the increase in STDs, however. Also, I have to say although I am not gay, my nieces and nephews have many friends (late teens and 20s) who are gay, and amongst their circle of friends, committed, monogamous relationships are the rule rather than the exception. Again, maybe a generational trend? In any case, I wish eventually there will be some answers for his family and friends. It's tragic enough that he's dead, but not to have hows or whys must be additionally excruciating.

I may be stating the obvious here, but here goes. I think that Joey inhaled or ingested something and had a negative reaction to it. The 'big' question is whether it was done voluntarily (in order to conform and be social) or taken involuntarily.

Those dating apps are a combination of people seeking real dating, those seeking dating but will have/open to sex until the right person comes along, and those seeking hookups only. It varies as much as people vary.
Most of the guys on those apps, in my personal experience, are seeking hookups. Those who are seeking real dating will get deterred away from such an atmosphere, leaving those guys seeking hookups as the remaining people left on the site. Which one of the 3 above Joey was seeking out, i am not privy too. I do know that my relatives would be shocked to find out the things that i have done over the years.

Those are my thoughts anyways.

I may be stating the obvious here, but here goes. I think that Joey inhaled or ingested something and had a negative reaction to it. The 'big' question is whether it was done voluntarily (in order to conform and be social) or taken involuntarily.

Those dating apps are a combination of people seeking real dating, those seeking dating but will have/open to sex until the right person comes along, and those seeking hookups only. It varies as much as people vary.
Most of the guys on those apps, in my personal experience, are seeking hookups. Those who are seeking real dating will get deterred away from such an atmosphere, leaving those guys seeking hookups as the remaining people left on the site. Which one of the 3 above Joey was seeking out, i am not privy too. I do know that my relatives would be shocked to find out the things that i have done over the years.

The only problem is that there were no drugs found in his system at autopsy.

The only problem is that there were no drugs found in his system at autopsy.

True, but that doesn't necessarily mean that some substance didn't kill him. In those tox screens, they don't test for all possible toxins/drugs/ poisons (and they need to know what to look for). And some substances are undetectable.

So it's extremely safe to assume that Joey was using the apps in the same fashion as the majority of people who use them.

Using a gay sex app for a hook up does not mean that Joey was ditching his cousins. A quickie is a quickie and he may have had the intentions of returning.

Also, the fact that Joey went to the restroom before leaving might indicate he was preparing for a hook up. Of course he may have just needed to go to the restroom. Most straight people don't know that gay guys have to prepare in advance for sex.

We don't know what if any information gay sex apps keep on their users. It may very well be that they keep nothing or very little info to ensure the anonymity of users.

The Union restroom is crowded and cramped. The idea he used the restroom to douche or whatever is silly. He probably had to pee.

We know Joey's phone was pinging for a while after he left Union. He must have known his cousins we're going to leave soon.

My hunch is someone he was at least acquainted with (even if just casually) drew him out of the bar and onto the street.

Someone placed Joey's body in the river. That is a crime so someone did do something wrong at some point.

It seems like CPD is as baffled as anyone else about the COD and the events leading up to it. But I keep coming back to the still frames that CPD randomly decided to release. Was the taller balding guy a clue CPD was hoping would be recognized? Shrug.

The Union restroom is crowded and cramped. The idea he used the restroom to douche or whatever is silly. He probably had to pee.

We know Joey's phone was pinging for a while after he left Union. He must have known his cousins we're going to leave soon.

My hunch is someone he was at least acquainted with (even if just casually) drew him out of the bar and onto the street.

Someone placed Joey's body in the river. That is a crime so someone did do something wrong at some point.

It seems like CPD is as baffled as anyone else about the COD and the events leading up to it. But I keep coming back to the still frames that CPD randomly decided to release. Was the taller balding guy a clue CPD was hoping would be recognized? Shrug.

Gay guys don't have to douche before every encounter. However, they do need to check to see if they are clean and usually lube. This can be done discreetly in a stall. Yes, Joey might have just needed to use the restroom but if he was meeting a hook-up then he would have wanted to check to see if he was good to go.

I don't think that bald guy has anything to do with Joey's disappearance. Joey left the bar by himself. More than likely there was a car waiting for him nearby and he willingly got into the car.

True, but that doesn't necessarily mean that some substance didn't kill him. In those tox screens, they don't test for all possible toxins/drugs/ poisons (and they need to know what to look for). And some substances are undetectable.

True, they don't test for everything but they do test for a wide-variety of substances mostly found in OD and poisoning deaths. If Joey was murdered then it's highly unlikely it was done via poisoning, perhaps being roofied or "Cosby'd", but again the tox screens are geared to the usual drugs used for such. If anything Joey might have died accidentally from willingly taking a drug while under the influence of alcohol but we are still faced with the same problem. My personal opinion is that Joey was killed some other way and that the sate of decomposition was so advanced that it masked the actual cause of death.

OK so! I would think in this case they would have run a pretty intense tox screen.

Just rmabling - what new- dont know but the last 5 posts got me to could we be talking arsenic, by familiar person.

Chloroform think Casey?

Or something like it?

They seem to be unable to locate suspect on Grindr, so maybe it was someone VERY familiar to one another. Someone was "lying" that night.

The characters are, to date, the high strung drama laiden moo, skinny kid, dont remember names sorry, and the soft spoken one, (sitting at the front).

His comment of being "surprised" that Joey "appraoched " them at the table always struck me as interesting. He also appeared surprised that they talked for a "while".

Chaf found out secrets?

We also might want to turn it around --that Joey might have been the one that wanted to inflict harm on another and it for lack of a better word and he ended up where he ended up?.

Water placement? Rape?? Washes out semen? EIther rape perp or visctim?

Dont know if decompensation would "bury" strangulation autopsy wise. I would think so tho?

What ya think guys?

All speculation of course- but the victim angle aint working, the lack of him himself being a component of his death, and or accidental death as a result of some effort by J to hurt or kill someone known to him has not been in our mix.

Switching to that gear, does the last garbled message take us somewhere?

There was obviouly conflict going on that evening -- something , either direction, get out of hand??

That would also explain the status of case ,this far out, two people knew what happened that night. One is deceased, which would really only result in one person knowing the other half and not wanting prison. Manslaughter?

The crime being ruled suspcious from the onset, (compare to Zachary) should also be a red flag for us - BUT what if we turn it around ??

The high strung one bothered me from the first time I saw the interview?? Def hit me as a person that could get pretty angry/jeolous/or lose some control.........

just speculating...............................

Does it def look like to you guys that the bald guy at J were talking with one another?

I agree with the plausibility of the hookup thing as well, but I am offended at the generalizations that were made above about the gay community. Proud2beme does NOT speak for Joey or the gay community. I seriously almost threw up after reading those posts...not appropriate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very repectfully,

We are adults. We are discussing the death of a young gay male. Grindr, crusing and sex are the core issues in the sitution.

Any discussion IMO, regarding sexual behaviors in the gay community are imo "appropriate", in that they seem to be the crux at what happened here. I think some folks think - that discussing a young gay male who might be sexually active is a negative connotation of the Joey. It only is for those who think a sexually proiscious young male is negative.

Especially in the gay community, being promsicous , for many, is the ideal place to be. Not all. However IMO it fair to come to the conclusion,based on facts presented, that Joey was fine with being a sexually active.

I think promiscious gets thrown in more becasue there is no intent, by two particpating parties, of dating - it is what is -- sex, see ya, dont want your number, when ya ask me not giving ya mine - needs met, was clear that I was not looking to go dining with you later, and in a lot of instances that is just understood and quite the way both want it .Thanx and bye! (in the old days name did not matter!)

I did not find any posts inapproriate here -- its a sex related murder moo

Does it def look like to you guys that the bald guy at J were talking with one another?

That is the sense I get from my neighbor who is 22. He uses a lot. Only for hookups. And to be quite honest the few I have met , well lets say dont bring home to mommy!

What I observe with people about 1-2 decades behind me is a more casual attitude or philosophy about sexual acts. Sex is likely to be viewed as fun, healthy, and recreational. I don't think young people being "promiscuous" is devaluing or objectifying, rather, I think it's a new generation perhaps coming up in an age where sex isn't tied up into religion, rigid mores, or judgments. Much like the increasing mainstream acceptance of gender as a social construct or sexuality being on a spectrum, I think sexual activity is much more viewed as a healthy, positive expression of trust and connection, but doesn't necessarily require a level of intimacy that generations past have demanded of "legitimate" relationships. I don't think this is a bad thing. Eventually, those who desire a more intimate or exclusive relationships generally find one another. I do have concerns about the increase in STDs, however. Also, I have to say although I am not gay, my nieces and nephews have many friends (late teens and 20s) who are gay, and amongst their circle of friends, committed, monogamous relationships are the rule rather than the exception. Again, maybe a generational trend? In any case, I wish eventually there will be some answers for his family and friends. It's tragic enough that he's dead, but not to have hows or whys must be additionally excruciating.

I am in late 50's, and was lucky enough to expericne my lifestyle pre aids for 15 years when there were far more opportunites and settings to meet. Aids took a while to grasp . I knew about it when it was called GRID - Gay Related Infection Disease, long time before it was actually identifeid as what it is now.

It was intially San Fran and thought to be linked to poppers. Poppers was a party entity (!) whose orgins came up via amyl nitrate - a RX deal that was sniffed during a heart attack.

It was marelvous darling! Loved poppers! So did everyone else. They were awesome on the dance floor and in bed - everything heightening. Little brown bottles, you inhale. The "effect" lasted about three minutes.

once they real amyle took off , companies started to make rip offs that were very dangerous, legal, and remained in very high use.

Digress.

I think I am a generation ahead of this poster, and they were very very promsicious years. We were far enough after Stonewall where the community had places to go and the bathhouses were very popular.

Very. Bath houses were solely for sex. Basically think of a hotel with doors open and men inviting those interested in for some sex , then a shower, and you were on to your next conquest!

This went on endlessly. They were open 24/7/365, were all over the country (like a franchise - think McDonalds and your there!)

Certain gay parks in every city were gay, where crusing and sex happened. They were very wild years sexually.

Although very limited interaction now with crusing etc - I think that , as far as gay promsciity it went

70-s 80's - wild
80 -90s sex became a scary entity, toned down a bit
90 20 on the rise, were behaviors that could be engaged in safe ways

20 - now internet has taken it back somewhat to promiscious - there is however , always looming in the background for this generation, a boogie man which results , in reality, it being nothing like the true freedom and celebration promiscuity afforded those of lucky enough to eperinced the 70 - 80 as young men in our prime.

Hostorically IMo it was the best time to be in ones prime sexuality wise

Just mo meeting thro a keyboard as oppossed to three feet away is different. The male drive in 20's has not changed, but I think the apps give a much falser notion of knowing someome than face to face.

One could argue that (baths excluded obvioulsy) talking to someone face face for 15 minutes and finding a place for some sex, and saying goodbye is no diff than Grindr.

Behavirally true. But in the face to face for 15 minutes there was much more real "data". Tone of voice, eyes, etc . On a 4" screen easier to be someone else.

The issue IMO, is when the choice to meet is reached there is more of an illiusion that one knows the person much more so than in reality, which might result in putting oneselves, in more danger.

Sure it has happened - but the liklihood of getting killed in a bathhouse are lower than in having someone to your house or going there.

If that makes sense.

Would you please explain what you mean by this? T
And asserting that gay-identified folks are very promiscuous is indeed painting with quite a wide brush - sounds tantamount to saying that some childless people don't know how much babies like bananas.

ETA: yes, it's an odd analogy but I am leaving it. Think about it first.

Quite an analogy!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree on many of these points. When you're young and have been drinking, it is totally plausible that he would sneak out for a hook up even though he was hanging with a couple family members.

OR, things took a suprise evil spin - imo the last text was a cry for help

Two points:
1) I met my partner on a gay dating app and we are in a monogamous relationship. It does happen, but it is rare.
2) I would think the police would have analyzed any online activity and found nothing. That means a person they can't track (unlikely but possible) or an in-person meeting without first contact on line.

OR

Someone saw him leave, or ran into him outside, and had things to "work out" so there is no internet footprint regarding who he was with at the end????

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.... did he leave a jacket with cousins? interesting to find that out - intent to return soon? When they finally released actual video , in a bar setting, it def looked like he was preparing to "leave" . He went through crowd quickly, and with a destination IMO. He was not cruising, or stopping to chat. The pace in the bathroom hallway appears to me , to be last piss before leaving. By that I mean it was quick pace , if that makes sense

Decomposition would make tox screen much more difficult. Also, many drugs and poisons aren't routinely tested for. Lab needs to be specifically told to test for these poisons (and that is usually done only if police suspects specific poison was used, which isn't the case here). There is no cause of death but yet he didn't drown (no water in the lung). Poisoning could easily have gone undetected.

"Death by poison can happen in a variety of ways, for example through recreational exposure by inhaling solvents such as butane lighter fluid or fuels, ingesting plant-derived substances like Angel’s Trumpet, accidental exposure to a substance used in the workplace or even accidently produced in the home (like carbon monoxide), or suicidal ingestion of a poison such as strychnine, pesticides, cyanide, etc. These all require specialized tests and the laboratory is alerted to their possible usage or involvement in the death when requests for toxicology testing are submitted."

http://www.forensicsciencesimplified.org/tox/how.html

We know he wasn't stabbed, shot, and he didn't drown (no water in the lungs). He was young and healthy (at least I haven't seen anything reported otherwise) so he didn't die of natural causes.
What's left?
Either he voluntarily or involuntary took some substance tox screens don't routinely look for.
Or he was suffocated? Not sure what else wouldn't leave any signs at autopsy.

We know he wasn't stabbed, shot, and he didn't drown (no water in the lungs). He was young and healthy (at least I haven't seen anything reported otherwise) so he didn't die of natural causes.
What's left?
Either he voluntarily or involuntary took some substance tox screens don't routinely look for.
Or he was suffocated? Not sure what else wouldn't leave any signs at autopsy.

This is the line of thinking i have had. The coroner said that the tox results could be inconclusive because the body was in the water for too long. If they found no physical cause, that only leaves chemical left.

The question of how he died is actually a little less important to me than how he got in the water. He was already dead, so he didn't get there himself. I am thinking if they can figure out who he was with that he ended up in the water, they might get closer to how he died.

The question of how he died is actually a little less important to me than how he got in the water. He was already dead, so he didn't get there himself. I am thinking if they can figure out who he was with that he ended up in the water, they might get closer to how he died.

I agree. This 'other person' knows the answer and circumstances (accident or not).

This is the line of thinking i have had. The coroner said that the tox results could be inconclusive because the body was in the water for too long. If they found no physical cause, that only leaves chemical left.

For some reason with the passage of the time, I keep going to strangulation, with decomp preventing discovery.

Dont know why just the way it has gone along, I think this was someone very familiar to Joey as oppossed to a stranger murder. Stagulation fits IMO, a very up close and personal rage fueleld (and or substance enhanced) altercation that went "wronger" than intially thought.

There was no scuffle as far as we know in ters of him getting into vehicle. I visualize an issue, they were gonna go process it, sounds as if Joey was bright, and as they are driving along he starts to really realize , this could be very bad indeed.

Look at his age - those folks can text while chained to a wall!! The jibberish final text , I have this image of someone losing control and escalating, and he made a last ditch effort to let folks know who he was with.

just specualting-- and humm humm or possible characters, if we go by texts that evening is pretty small.

"Lying" in an context can often end up in some sort of confrontation very generally speaking.

"Lying" can never be experienced as a postive "thing". Throw in some jealousy, add a pinch of rage, throw in some feelings of betryal, add in alochol and we end up in a pretty typical sitution that often does not end up well

He def looked as if he was totally READY to leave the club, which only recently hit me --the other day was the first time i had seen video as oppossed to stills.

It def had the pace, the getting through the crowds, as if he was going elsewhere -- the way through the crowd I found very telling and not typically what crusing "looks" like, or is.

Understandably someone who accidently killed someone would be freaked, near water, and it certainly is congruent with keeping ones mouth shut.

There are some pretty high strung/drama queens out there in gayland!! Dont mess with em they can become dangeroues moo

Years ago , unfornutly , I had an encounter with one such individual!!! He was wearing really strange jeans, and I was just being campy- well she walked her little tussie right over to me and flipped me over her shoulder and left me on the ground. Obvioulsy she was escorted from the premises!! I will never forget it - it was so, in terms of all of us throwing around camp -way out of porportion to the stuff going back and forth between several of us!! Wham. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

speculation

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StacyStacyStacy
Back