OH OH - John Hundley & James McQueary, both 9, Fairfax, 15 Oct 1964

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Johnny never mentioned any trouble with the older youth. Never heard of anyone being with him when he came back after he cofessed. I read that on a post somewhere. Our family didn't have any suspicion until he confessed to this then came home. The suspicion started after the police took him to the school yard. That incident was very suspicious. Him going from one place to another saying he buried them here...no it was over here etc. That was when he said he lied but as l stated in one of my other posts. Why would he make a srory up like that a few years after the fact if it wasn't on his conscious? That's what makes him appear guilty in my eyes & the rest of the family too.

To Foxfire...you know my full name. If you would please send me a friend request on FB. Thanks

My brother & Jimmys older brother had run ins around the time this happened but nothing to do with Johnny & Jimmy as far as l know...

If the crime did indeed take place in or around the school yard, you would think there may be someone who witnessed it, or at least the beginnings of it before it may have moved elsewhere - a wooded area, etc. You begin to wonder what would have caused both of the boys not to just be just threatened or even assaulted, but to be killed. Did they come upon some illegal activity for which the killer or killers felt they had to be silenced or some pushing and shoving that led to fatal injuries?

As his name has been identified in earlier posts here, it might be helpful to those not totally familiar with this matter that the person who confessed almost three years later while he was in the Marines was Gary Lee McKee. He would have been approximately 14 years old in 1964 and was the one authorities brought back to the area only to have him change his story and say he made it up to avoid being in the military. When the news reports about that came out in 1967, it was said there was supposed to be another youth who was involved, but he had later moved to Indianapolis. To my knowledge, the name of that youth was never given out and it is understood that he was never brought back to Fairfax as McKee had been.

If the crime did indeed take place in or around the school yard, you would think there may be someone who witnessed it, or at least the beginnings of it before it may have moved elsewhere - a wooded area, etc. You begin to wonder what would have caused both of the boys not to just be just threatened or even assaulted, but to be killed. Did they come upon some illegal activity for which the killer or killers felt they had to be silenced or some pushing and shoving that led to fatal injuries?

As his name has been identified in earlier posts here, it might be helpful to those not totally familiar with this matter that the person who confessed almost three years later while he was in the Marines was Gary Lee McKee. He would have been approximately 14 years old in 1964 and was the one authorities brought back to the area only to have him change his story and say he made it up to avoid being in the military. When the news reports about that came out in 1967, it was said there was supposed to be another youth who was involved, but he had later moved to Indianapolis. To my knowledge, the name of that youth was never given out and it is understood that he was never brought back to Fairfax as McKee had been.

Seems that if Gary Lee McKee, truly made the confession to avoid serving his commitment in the military/marines, there would be no reason to involve anyone else in the murders. I would like to see this case re-investigated by the FBI due to the enormous resources at their disposal and the advancements in technology over the past half century.

You wonder what would make a person admit to murdering someone if he really didn't do it? Based on him being 17 years old in 1967, would not Gary Lee McKee have had to have parental or guardian approval to join the military? It should be reminded that this was in the years when the United States was heavily involved in Viet Nam with various branches of the military being sent to fight in that country. Would this have been the reason McKee chose what he felt was the lesser of two evils (admitting to a murder in his hometown rather than fighting in southeast Asia)? Another question - after he said he was lying when he confessed to the murder, did McKee return to the Marines? Whatever became of him?

I never heard of another boy & Indianapolis until l read it in here. Gary never went back to the Marines. He was cleared & still lives in the vicinity. There could've been one if the boys that seen it & had ro be silenced also. perhaps killed. I don't know why Gary went to the Marines. Back in those days of a 17yr old was trouble they woild send them to the army or marines instead of a detention center or jail!! It was after school hours when Johnny & Jimmy were at the school yard. Probably close to dark. That would've been why no one seen anything. The FBI is involved in the case...just haven't done much. I agree with all the advanced technology they have today they should search those school grounds real good!! It sickens me they haven't searched more in that area.
!!

Holding my spot and hoping some new leads will come in and help solve this mystery.

Marking my spot too! Hope to get caught up reading on the case today. The boys need to be found. Their family needs answers.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/hundley_johnny.html
hundley_johnny.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mcqueary_jimmy.html
mcqueary_jimmy.jpg

Bumping pics.

The boy who confessed name is Gary McGee...
Not McKee as noted above.

I prefer not to question anyone who went through such a serious and tragic matter; however and in all respect, may I provide some information with regards to the correct last-name of the person who confessed to the murder and then changed his story?

In reporting on this story in the Cincinnati Enquirer in 1967, he is identified as Gary McKee. Those stories further report his address was 3758 Meadowlark Lane in Fairfax. Records for the property at this address at that time show it was owned by Robert L. & Opal W. McKee and later came under the ownership of Gary Lee McKee.

I never heard of another boy & Indianapolis until l read it in here. Gary never went back to the Marines. He was cleared & still lives in the vicinity. There could've been one if the boys that seen it & had ro be silenced also. perhaps killed. I don't know why Gary went to the Marines. Back in those days of a 17yr old was trouble they woild send them to the army or marines instead of a detention center or jail!! It was after school hours when Johnny & Jimmy were at the school yard. Probably close to dark. That would've been why no one seen anything. The FBI is involved in the case...just haven't done much. I agree with all the advanced technology they have today they should search those school grounds real good!! It sickens me they haven't searched more in that area.
!!

I agree Gary should be questioned more. Just because he passed a poly doesn't really mean much IMO. Of course, law enforcement look at things differently. Since he is still in the area, I bet he remembers very well where the boys were buried if he did it.

I agree Gary should be questioned more. Just because he passed a poly doesn't really mean much IMO. Of course, law enforcement look at things differently. Since he is still in the area, I bet he remembers very well where the boys were buried if he did it.

Yep, Gary Ridgeway, also a marine, passed two polygraphs given by the green river task force. Passed them both.. Guess, it is fairly easy to pass a poly if you lack a conscience..

I always thought Garys last name was McGee. Guess l was wrong. That's what my brother called him or maybe l just misunderstood. Either way I'm sure he knows where they are. I guess he inherited the home from his parents. The Meadowlark location was where he lived in 1964.
This is still the 1st time l ever knew there was another boy named Gary that was questioned & given a lie detechter test. Given even twice!! I think McKee was only given one!! Wonder why he came back from California with McKee if he was from Indianapolis & returned there after he was questioned. McKee was asked by authorities, not to long ago, if he would take another test. He said he would but never showed up to take it. Maybe as he has gotten older, he was afraid he wouldn't pass it again. He has to be around 65 now. My other brother just turned 65 in June. If McKee was truly innocent there would be no reason to not take another test!!

I always thought Garys last name was McGee. Guess l was wrong. That's what my brother called him or maybe l just misunderstood. Either way I'm sure he knows where they are. I guess he inherited the home from his parents. The Meadowlark location was where he lived in 1964.
This is still the 1st time l ever knew there was another boy named Gary that was questioned & given a lie detechter test. Given even twice!! I think McKee was only given one!! Wonder why he came back from California with McKee if he was from Indianapolis & returned there after he was questioned. McKee was asked by authorities, not to long ago, if he would take another test. He said he would but never showed up to take it. Maybe as he has gotten older, he was afraid he wouldn't pass it again. He has to be around 65 now. My other brother just turned 65 in June. If McKee was truly innocent there would be no reason to not take another test!!

I might have read it wrong myself......but i think you misinterprited 'Foxfires' post above? Gary Ridgeway was the 'Green River Killer' not connected to this case...she was just highlighting how people can pass a polygraph (twice!), even if guilty.
I do hope you manage to find what happened to your brother.

There is some mix-up here. When Gary McKee was brought back to Fairfax from San Diego in 1967, he mentioned the involvement of the other youth in the deaths of Johnny and Jimmy in 1964. It was reported then that this youth had later moved to Indianapolis. He did not come back with McKee. I have never seen this youth identified by name. When McKee recanted his confession, it was reported that this youth was deemed by authorities not to have been involved as well.

There are many twists & turns in this case. I guess l did misinterpret what was said about the other boy. I still think they should try to question McKee again. Chief Finan exonerated him as soon as he took the polygraph test. I don't recall anything even being done to him for lying to the Chaplain in San Diego. I thought the Armed Services punished people that went missing or, like McKee, told a big lie. He got out of everything scot free!! Doesn't make any sense to me. Still think he knows much more than was told. He is walking around the neighborhood free while my brother & Jimmy are somewhere in an unknown grave!! Breaks my heart. If McKee is innocent, then why did he not show up to take another polygraph? Sure makes you wonder!!

I am surprised that McKee has remained in the area. It's obvious from just reading the posts here how the feelings continue after all of the years and that is certainly understandable. I assume he has turned down requests for interviews or even comments when members of the media write or report on this case.

Just wondering if any thought has ever been given to a civil action against McKee by one or both of the families much as the family of Nicole Brown successfully brought against O. J. Simpson? It might be remembered that in civil trials, the Defendant can be required to testify in the proceedings.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back