Found Alive OH - Kason & Kyair Thomass - 5-Month-Old Twins - In Stolen Vehicle - *Nalah Jackson Arrested* - Columbus

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"Choking on milk"? That doesn't seem to make sense to me. Unless the baby was set up for some sort of automatic feeding system, that literally drowned him because he couldn't swallow fast enough.

I don't know. But it unusual. Poor little guy.

IMO it would have to be to big of a bite of something that got lodged? Makes more sense than milk. IMO
I wonder if baby cereal was in the bottle. A bigger hole would be cut in thr nipple to allow the cereal to pass through. Jesus, I remember milk and cereal gushing from the bottle and my babies' reactions.

I have known a prem baby choke on milk and die at a few months old (shortly after coming home from hospital so still quite vulnerable). He was being held upright at the time. Just one of those things.
It seems odder here at first glance because the twins have already been in the news, but it's a possibility.

As an EMT, have you had any calls where an infant had to be resuscitated after drinking/choking on milk?

I am pretty sure you have answered calls where people choked on food before---but liquids?
No I have not. Not knowing the specifics of this case I will say that babies can choke on milk, sometimes very young premature infants can have a poor sucking and swallowing reflex and can choke on milk. Or if a bottle has too big of a hole and the milk come out too fast, and if the positioning of the baby is poor. For example if the bottle was propped up with pillows and the baby was too young to turn his or her head away from the flow of milk.

Milk could get into the airways and could possibly lead to respiratory failure.

Again, this is just information in general and not necessarily applicable to this incident.

The important thing to know is how to help a chocking baby, whether chocking on food or milk. Hold the baby with head down, and give five hard back blows just below the shoulder blades. You can lay the baby on your leg while sitting in a chair, the baby lying on its stomach on your leg, with head down, while you deliver the back blows.

I have seen choking on liquids followed by laryngospasm - which could very well be the case here. It's the means by which some people drown without water in their lungs- they literally suffocate because their airway spasms shut.
And, respectfully, back blows are for removing solid obstructions- they would not really accomplish anything for a person choking on a liquid.
I wonder if the baby was holding it's own bottle or being fed by another?

I have seen choking on liquids followed by laryngospasm - which could very well be the case here. It's the means by which some people drown without water in their lungs- they literally suffocate because their airway spasms shut.
And, respectfully, back blows are for removing solid obstructions- they would not really accomplish anything for a person choking on a liquid.
Judging from photos and videos of those babies, they didn't look old enough to hold a bottle. JMO, I'm not an expert. Such a sad situation if this is what happened. NE Ohio news this morning says the mother reported the baby had a seizure.

As an EMT, have you had any calls where an infant had to be resuscitated after drinking/choking on milk?

I am pretty sure you have answered calls where people choked on food before---but liquids?
If you google it, it appears that babies choking on milk and dying as a result is a serious issue, especially if there is bottle propping.

Judging from photos and videos of those babies, they didn't look old enough to hold a bottle. JMO, I'm not an expert. Such a sad situation if this is what happened. NE Ohio news this morning says the mother reported the baby had a seizure.
If the baby choked and suffered a laryngospasm it could present the appearance of a seizure.

Too late to edit but 'holding own bottle' can also include bottle was propped. Which is to say baby is unattended while feeding.

On Monday, a spokesperson for the Columbus Police said the baby's death was "currently a death investigation pending autopsy."

ABC6/FOX28 requested baby Ky'air's autopsy report from the Franklin County Coroner's office. The office confirmed that the exam of Ky’air Thomas was performed on Jan. 30, but that there would not be a “prelim report" released.

ABC6/FOX28 also requested the 911 call as well as the incident reports from both the Columbus Police Department and the Columbus Fire Department.

A CFD spokesperson said they are unable to release those documents because some of the contents is HIPAA protected and the department is waiting for more guidance for what can legally be released.

On Monday, a spokesperson for the Columbus Police said the baby's death was "currently a death investigation pending autopsy."

ABC6/FOX28 requested baby Ky'air's autopsy report from the Franklin County Coroner's office. The office confirmed that the exam of Ky’air Thomas was performed on Jan. 30, but that there would not be a “prelim report" released.

ABC6/FOX28 also requested the 911 call as well as the incident reports from both the Columbus Police Department and the Columbus Fire Department.

A CFD spokesperson said they are unable to release those documents because some of the contents is HIPAA protected and the department is waiting for more guidance for what can legally be released.

More from the linked article:

Ky'air's death will be part of a child fatality review made up of members from the coroner's office, law enforcement, children's services, schools, and hospitals.

The review board looks for trends, risk factors, gaps in community systems, and possible system improvements. They then send data to the state and analyze it to implement strategies for prevention.

Officials told News Center 7 it could take three to six months before they issue a final autopsy report showing how Thomas died.

And this may indeed be linked to it. It's NOT normal for a baby to choke to death, not on age-appropriate food, anyway.

Fly high with the angels, Ky'Air. We don't know why, but you did everything here that you were supposed to do.
I was wondering about this. We have NO idea what really happened to those babies while they were missing. I hope that this isn't a homicide. I was so relieved they were both found alive because there are horror stories of babies dying just from being in their car seats to long, let alone whatever they went through.

It's not difficult to think that maybe there were some longer-term internal physical effects from the kidnapping and being left in the cold for however long that weren't visible, which caused this.

If this is a homicide, IMO, it was caused by his kidnapping and residual effects.

Terribly tragic.

all moo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB