OH OH - Katelyn Markham, 22, Fairfield, 14 August 2011 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What time did JC leave Kaitlyn's townhome exactly? After midnight?

What time was the gps turned off?

Is that the window of time we are looking at that something happened?

Police and family say they have no idea what could have happened to her. Her fiance, John Carter, said he last saw Markham around 11 or 11:30 Saturday night at her townhouse.

At 12:52 a.m. Sunday, he received a picture of Markham on his cellphone, sent via text message from her phone.

That was the last time anyone has heard from her.

Her small mixed-breed dog, Murphy, was found locked in her bedroom. Carter said it was obvious the dog “had been there awhile.”

Markham’s purse, keys and car were all there. The only things missing were Markham and her cellphone, which Carter’s mother, Karyn Winkler, said was turned off around 12:45 a.m. Sunday. The GPS tracking device on the phone also had been turned off.

Snipped from: http://www.middletownjournal.com/ne...cal-woman-was-photo-sent-by-text-1231535.html (lots more info & photo at link)

Just quoting above post to answer my questions. :crazy:

How many times have we seen someone burning something after someone disappears? It's a definite red flag!

So if one were to dispose of someone and then try to cover their bases, the first thing you might do is make a fake text message conversation. He has to explain the burning... so we have "wish I could be there to see you burn that stuff I asked you to burn". Then, a picture of that person alive would be even better! So, he finds one on her phone and sends it to himself. He probably then realizes that someone else took that picture.

It all seems very weird and convenient for him!

Yes yes yes! My friends, this is really hinky. Why would she send him an old picture of herself after midnight, after he left her townhouse? And the first reports said he last saw her at 10 pm I thought. Now it is 11 or 11:30?
Something is really off about all this.
Poor Katelyn. IMHO I think something terrible has happened to her at the hands of someone she knew :( I really hope I am wrong.

~~ Her fiance, John Carter, said he last saw Markham around 11 or 11:30 Saturday night at her townhouse. He says they were discussing a possible move to Colorado.

~~ At 12:52 a.m. Sunday, he received a picture of Markham on his cellphone, sent via text message from her phone.

~~ Markham’s purse, keys and car were all there. The only things missing were Markham and her cellphone, which Carter’s mother, Karyn Winkler, said was turned off around 12:45 a.m. Sunday. The GPS tracking device on the phone also had been turned off.

~~ The next morning, Carter said he sent his fiance a “good morning” text message. When she didn’t respond, he assumed she was running late for her shift at David’s Bridal in the Tri-County Mall. (NOTE: David's Bridal opens at NOON on Sunday)

~~ Markham's fiancee, John Carter, called police on Sunday, Aug. 14 to report her missing. "I know you're not suppose to report a missing person before 24 hours, but my fiancee is missing and I can't find her anywhere," he said in the call.

http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/last-message-from-missing-local-woman-was-photo-sent-by-text-1231535.html

http://www.fox19.com/story/15295662/police-release-911-call-reporting-katelyn-markhams-disappearance?redirected=true

When/where/what time was the paper burning incident?

~~ Markham's fiancee, John Carter, called police on Sunday, Aug. 14 to report her missing. "I know you're not suppose to report a missing person before 24 hours, but my fiancee is missing and I can't find her anywhere," he said in the call.

http://www.middletownjournal.com/ne...cal-woman-was-photo-sent-by-text-1231535.html

http://www.fox19.com/story/15295662...atelyn-markhams-disappearance?redirected=true

Respectfully snipped by me.

Sounds like someone's been reading up on when you are "supposed" to report a missing person.

He was working that night and probably got off late and she had to work the next day. Maybe she wanted her sleep. AND maybe they don't sleep together. Most do but some don't.

CORRECTION....He was not working that night (Saturday). They had gone out. She had to work the next day and so did he. Maybe she wanted her sleep or maybe they argued and he went home. Maybe they didn't sleep together. We don't know.

How would JC and/or his mother know exactly what time the phone was turned off and that the GPS was turned off? It's possible Katelyn and JC shared a phone plan. Can you access that type of information about your phones, does anyone know?

Are any searches taking place??

I have a friend who lives in that neighborhood. She says the first few days had intense searching with helicopters and search parties, so they have probably checked the immediate area pretty thoroughly. Now, they need a tip to lead them in another direction. Just like any midwestern town, there are miles and miles of farmland, wooded areas, rivers and lakes and just plain over-grown bush.

Here's another odd statement. Granted the reporter is quoting him and we don't see him saying it directly, so it could be a misquote, however given the other odd statements we've heard...

"JC says he can hardly look at the missing posters around town because all he sees is her happy smile."

Uh...what? What the heck does that mean? Especially given that he asked everyone to remember her happy smile.

Also, he shakes his head "no" a lot while he's talking. Have heard body language experts in the past refer to this as a signal of lying.

Video here: http://www.local12.com/news/local/s...g-Fairfield-Woman/Hb8WfZ0rpkuNpRRLpddC-w.cspx

(One thing Local12 does that drives me crazy is they keep replacing exisiting video with updated, so no way to go back and watch the old stuff again. ARGH!)

I'd LOVE to be able to talk to her best girlfriend and find out what she thinks of all of this.

There is a lake, Marsh Lake, very close to her townhouse that used to be a gravel pit. It was very deep when it was an active gravel company. I wonder if they have checked there.

It has been scrubbed from the net articles IMO, along with the fact that her phone is a certain color. I've looked and looked, and I KNOW I read those two facts.

BBM In the pic of her sitting at a bar in a black dress she appears to be holding a phone and it is either red or pink. You can't see a lot of it though so I'm not able to determine what kind of phone. I did notice a post on her FB page that her friends created that they are asking others to look through their pictures of her for a clear pic of her phone (a blackberry) so they can have the media put it out there in case someone finds it.

Pic I am referring to is currently on this page:

http://www.fox19.com/story/15286971/police-zero-in-on-missing-fairfield-womans-townhome

I can't see a burglar/stranger taking her, and her phone. And apparently nothing else. It seems that whoever took her (if she was taken) had some connection to her may have wanted to delete things from her phone, and/or turn it off so it could not be located.

I can't see a burglar/stranger taking her, and her phone. And apparently nothing else. It seems that whoever took her (if she was taken) had some connection to her may have wanted to delete things from her phone, and/or turn it off so it could not be located.

THAT MAKES SENSE! :twocents:

Respectfully snipped by me.

Sounds like someone's been reading up on when you are "supposed" to report a missing person.

THIS! Another odd statement from him, at least to me. Why even say that? Did he think they were going to tell him to call back in 4 hours??

I need to start compiling everything that's making my hair stand on end about this case. It's getting to be a lot.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/28919291/detail.html I'm no expert, but the fiance has some very interesting body language in this lengthy interview.

1. Lots of self grooming (calming self, deception, helping him think over a difficult question) especially when he's asked a question that he might not have a ready answer for.

2. Looking down and to the left (deception)

3. Touching nose (classic sign of deception)

4. Adding many extraneous details

5. Seemingly rehearsed answers that he has thought through thoroughly, but stumbling and rambling through other questions

6. Nervous laughter

7. Speaking in past tense of Katelyn

8. Emphasizing how much of a "choice" Katelyn supposedly had in everything going on in their relationship (perhaps it's easiest for him to tell the exact opposite mirror truth about everything)

Anyone care to expound/add more?

This is just my opinion.

Only thing I've really noticed is that he seems a little too composed and unemotional
given that he's most likely just lost someone he's been seeing for 6+ years.
And given all the apparently affectionate "sweet/cute" exchanges between the two,
I would just expect him to be more emotional about it.
Then again, I knew a couple that we're all touchy-feely, "I luuvvv you" around other people
and they fought constantly at home. 4 kids later, they're divorced - and everyone seemed to see it coming :twocents:

i.e. a lot of disingenuous role playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member