OH OH - Michael Klitch, 12, Grandview Heights, 28 June 1971

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Your information about the freeways in Columbus is horribly inaccurate. I-70 was mostly completed by the time the abduction took place. It wouldn't be until the late 1970's that I-270 would be completed. Because of problems obtaining certain parcels of land I-670 was completed as far as Grandview Avenue by the time he was taken. I lived in the area and remember riding on those stretches of highway with a relative who left Columbus before the abduction and never returned to Columbus.

Your information about the freeways in Columbus is horribly inaccurate. I-70 was mostly completed by the time the abduction took place. It wouldn't be until the late 1970's that I-270 would be completed. Because of problems obtaining certain parcels of land I-670 was completed as far as Grandview Avenue by the time he was taken. I lived in the area and remember riding on those stretches of highway with a relative who left Columbus before the abduction and never returned to Columbus.

Here's a new map that shows the location of the railroad tracks in Grandview Heights.

View attachment 56451

The blue dot is where Michael Dean Klitch lived.

The black dot is the high rise apartments.

The red dot is the tennis courts where Michael Dean Klitch was last seen.

The purple dot is the swimming pool.

The green line is the possible route that Michael Dean Klitch may have took when he walked from his home to the tennis courts.

The yellow line is the location from the tennis courts to the swimming pool and the route Michael's mother would have took to drive from the tennis courts to the swimming pool.

Looking at the red dot where the tennis courts are, you can see that the railroad tracks are right behind the tennis courts.[/QU

Unless you have intmate knowledge about the route Michael walked I can almost guarantee that he didn't walk down Elmwood Ave. Elmwood is very steep and narrow. The simplest route to walk would have been to take Lincoln Rd to Bluff Ave and take the slight jog to the left and walk down Goodale Blvd to the tennis courts. Next best would be to wlk your route along First Ave. but cintinue on one more block to Ashland Ave to Bliff Ave. to Urlin Ave. to the tennis courts. I lived in that area and have intimate knowledge of all the streets.

Here's a new map that shows the location of the railroad tracks in Grandview Heights.

View attachment 56451

The blue dot is where Michael Dean Klitch lived.

The black dot is the high rise apartments.

The red dot is the tennis courts where Michael Dean Klitch was last seen.

The purple dot is the swimming pool.

The green line is the possible route that Michael Dean Klitch may have took when he walked from his home to the tennis courts.

The yellow line is the location from the tennis courts to the swimming pool and the route Michael's mother would have took to drive from the tennis courts to the swimming pool.

Looking at the red dot where the tennis courts are, you can see that the railroad tracks are right behind the tennis courts.[/QU

Unless you have intmate knowledge about the route Michael walked I can almost guarantee that he didn't walk down Elmwood Ave. Elmwood is very steep and narrow. The simplest route to walk would have been to take Lincoln Rd to Bluff Ave and take the slight jog to the left and walk down Goodale Blvd to the tennis courts. Next best would be to wlk your route along First Ave. but cintinue on one more block to Ashland Ave to Bliff Ave. to Urlin Ave. to the tennis courts. I lived in that area and have intimate knowledge of all the streets.

Ok, as always it would be best to do a victimology assessment on the victim, prior to any type of investigative analysis .

What on the outside appears to be nothing more than a kid going to play tennis (albeit by himself) has raised some interesting questions , at least in my opinion.

In investigating ANYTHING we always start with the victim we look at those close to them, and continue to work outward, using the evidence as our guidelines.

It also helps to define a baseline family dynamic, in other words what was out of the ordinary for this specific family. Now its important to not some things that appear odd to one may not be so to another, it depends on what is normal or "normal" within their interpersonal environment.

So lets look at the facts as we know them

-We know that Michael made a habit of leaving notes to let his family know where he was at all times, however on this date, he didn't, he chose to do so verbally , which may account for his not doing so prior to leaving for the tennis courts. This could mean nothing on its face other than he spoke to his mother instead of leaving a note.

-I don't know much about tennis, but I cant understand how someone could practice alone , im not saying they cant , im just unaware how to do so , unless they are playing against a wall or something or just practicing serves.

-He stops to speak with friends at approximately 2:30 but left his house at 2:00pm, the distance on the maps doesn't seem to reflect such a distance , that he would still be "near his home" after walking for 30 minutes already, unless he moved very slow. The map I saw of the route most likely taken to the Tennis courts doesn't have a legend to indicate distance so its tough to determine actually how far he had to walk to get where he was going, this would be important to verify with the individuals he supposedly spoke with.

-Though a maid claims to have seen a person matching Michaels description playing by himself there's no way to determine whether or not it was actually Michael or someone else nor does it give a time when she supposedly noticed this individual

-Upon arrival at the tennis courts at approx. 3:30 his mother arrives waits for a short period of time before leaving to drop her other kids off at a swimming pool. She then goes to attend a school board meeting, which is interesting, though she hasn't found her son who usually is so meticulous he leaves notes to let his parents know where he will be, there is no sign of him, she in turn drops off her other kids before attending a meeting.... again may or may not mean anything on its face but should be looked at . So far twice today her son has broken rank from his normal behavior, and with him nowhere to be found, yet no red flags are raised. It would be important to know the normal family dynamic .. has he done this before?, was it common for Michael to not be where he said he would despite the fact he would leave notes telling where he would be ?. Again this seems somewhat to the contrary given what his parents described to the investigators.

Again could simply be coincidence.. but interesting it coincides with the day he goes missing

-When his mother gets home she discovered no one has seen Michael , and later that evening she and her husband call police.

-Police discover a single "odd brand" tennis ball that was given to Michael by his father, 4 feet from the gate at the Tennis court, this apparently wasn't noticed by his mother earlier upon her arrival at the tennis courts to pick up Michael earlier that day. His parents surmise Michael must have "left in a hurry because he would never have left his tennis balls behind". However he and all the other items he had with him at that point are missing .

-Now I could be wrong but I believe I saw somewhere that his body was discovered 25 miles away from where he was last seen can that be confirmed ? if so it would indicate an individual not just with the means but of age to drive a vehicle to transport the victim . (no **** right?)

-The body is found not too far from where his belongings are found, strewn about, which given the spatial relationship found consistent in virtually 99%of all abduction homicides according to a 2006 study, is most likely where the murder actually occurred.

-Its important to note that even though the body was concealed inside the shed which itself was out of plain sight, the offender(s) still felt they needed to burn his body to destroy any possible evidence, though his belongings, including his clothing were not destroyed, and were left where they were .

-Autopsy reports indicate that the victim was stabbed approx. 25-26 times, with a concentrated pattern of wounds, to the upper left chest (heart region) numbering at least 10 wounds in that specific region, while others are scattered about his torso in no particular pattern. Its determined that the stab wounds other than the ones concentrated over the upper left chest acme from a variety of angles, indicative of frenzied stabbing . A lot of overkill to take down a 12 yo .

-Later the coroner surmises the weapon was a butcher knife , due to the thin single edge, and blade length to inflict such wounds, which is an oddball choice of weapon, not something you usually see anyone carry (though it has happened) but more along the lines of a "weapon at hand" if you will .

Though an eyebrow can certainly be raised at some of the actions of the victim prior to and by his family post disappearance, and though I feel these need to be thoroughly dismissed before an investigation can proceed on this cold case. Remember in Cold Case investigations, we have to go back and RETHINK all the old evidence, if someone was cleared we look at them again, if something is dismissed we look at it again until we can say with todays certainty it has no bearing .

In this case, id question Michaels not leaving a note, even if he told his mom, Id question as to why it ok to let him walk over 30 minutes away alone, Id question and seek verification as to be certain what time he spoke with friends on his way to the Tennis courts. Id question why his mother didn't go look for a kid so particular about letting his parents know where he would be that when she showed up at 3:30 looking for him , she was so unalarmed, that she not only dropped off her kids at a pool, but then attended a School Board meeting.

I would do all that prior to continuing to look any further in this case, when that is ruled out again THEN we look outside

In a 2006 study done by the Washington State office of the Attorney general a 3.5 year study found that the likelihood of the killer of a child being a stranger, is virtually equal to that of the killer being a friend or acquaintance. 44% for a stranger, 42% for Friend or acquaintance, 14% Family.

Was it a Predator?

Though we cant determine whether or not the attack was sexual in nature, it wouldn't be a stretch to think that it COULD be, as the predominant governing factor in stranger abductions is sexual, with homicide secondary to eliminate a living witness.

I will state right now that I feel this WAS NOT A PLANNED event, at least not beyond the point of a few minutes

In cases, of Stranger abduction, (if this is what this case is ) the victims are usually victims of circumstance, their personal risk factors usually elevated by nothing more than being alone in the wrong place at the wrong time (Ex Amber Hagerman).

The vast majority of the time in stranger abduction/murder cases, the offender comes upon their victim by happenstance, they aren't out patrolling looking for a victim, but the opportunity presents itself.

The average of the offender of a child abduction /homicide is 27yo

They usually live alone or with parents.

in 80% of cases the initial contact site between victim and offender is within .25 mi from the victims residence

As I've said in previous analyses usually the offender in stranger abduction/murders of children, have a legitimate reason to be in the area where the child is abducted. they live or work nearby in unskilled or semi unskilled labor positions.

These events are usually the result of a stressing event prior , it could be almost anything, but most often it seems to revolve around an intimate, family, or work.

The victim is often transported greater than .25 mi from where they are abducted, and the relationship (mentioned earlier) between the body recovery site, and the site where the victim is killed closes into less than 200 feet.

In this case, I feel its safe to say that the location where the body was recovered most likely holds some significance for the offender, due to its out of the way location some 25 miles from where Michael was last seen .

The most common method of victim acquisition is con or ruse, with a vehicle being used in the majority of cases. (this is why you teach your kids to stay away from vehicles at ALL costs)

If this was a stranger , I feel it was most likely his 1st homicide (I feel the same no matter who the offender was), there's WAY more violence needed than what would be needed to control a thin 12 yo . The Wild stabbing could be indicative of victim resistance (Ex Ron Goldman), possibly with a flailing aluminum tennis racket, however its also possible (and more plausible) that this was an attack by an individual unfamiliar with murder. Once the victim was weak from his injuries, the offender, then stabbed him in an area he knew would bring about the victims demise more rapidly

This notion is furthered, by the face that though the body was hidden , the offender still felt it pertinent to burn the body, however, the victims belongings clothes etc, with possible transfer, etc.. were left where they were, which seems to indicate an offender uncomfortable even in a remote area, or in a panic .

The victim is most often murdered (74%) within 3 hours of the abduction

Most of the time this offender has prior arrests, or at least a recorded history of violence, and most often it will reflect a propensity toward children, the most common reported crime was rape amongst offenders with previous criminal histories against children.

Usually the killers name is known to law enforcement within the 1st week of the investigation this fact is however changing in recent.

Was it someone he knew?

This also cannot be ruled out

According to Michaels parents he was uncomfortable with unfamiliar people, meaning that strangers would most likely meet with at least some resistance, however, its still entirely possible he was fooled by a ruse (most common)

If it was a friend or acquaintance, a victimology report would indicate things like recent behavioral changes, enemies he may've had, fears , especially recent ones that have materialized.

Though its "less likely" a friend or acquaintance cannot be ruled out either... there have been cases, of parents aiding their kids in homicide cases, in the past otherwise, you have to assume the offender responsible was of legal age to drive, and in possession of a vehicle.

That's the best I can do with what we have here ... hopefully someone will dig back into this case, to bring this victim justice

The church where he, most likely, stopped to talk to his friends is 2 blocks from where he lived, slightly under 1/2 mile, the blocks south of Third Ave being approximately 1/4 mile long. There is also a church almost directly across the street from the Klitch home. I feel very certain that he was abducted before 3:30 pm because across the railroad tracks was a factory that had shift change at that time and many of the workers would cross the tracks and use Goodale Blvd as part of their route home.

Post #77 raises great points:

As RK said, we don't know the families' daily routine, or if Mike's actions that day were a part of the norm for him. Given his father's tennis experience with playing and coaching, Mike knew the game and new it well beyond his years.

I read some reports that said Mike left at 2:10pm and not 2:00pm, which shortens up the time-frame by a few minutes and might make the mapping distance more plausible. The STRANGEST elements of this case for me are:

1.) Mike being so over-dressed for a 100 degree day. This is a health risk and he or his parents should have had him were cooler clothes, or even not go out at all. We have a 12-year old kid playing tennis in 100 degree heat, this is bad, and lead to some of us at WS considering that Mike passed out from heat stroke or dehydration. But RK shows strong evidence against that, although this cannot be ruled out.

2.) Who plays tennis alone? I have said sure, Mike would have had to use a wall for serving and volleying, but it is unusual? If the courts had no walls for balls to hit for solo play, the mystery deepens even more.

3) Who just finding out their son is missing, drops off their remaining kids at a swimming pool and than heads off to a school board meeting as if Mike being gone was "no big deal?" Times were different in 1971 compared to the attitudes and actions today concerning missing kids. But that's just wrong. Did Mrs. Klitch get out of the car and look for Mike in the time she waited for him? It seems the ball that Mr. Klitch gave to his son,found at the gate was discovered by LE, not family. In horror, it sounds like the getting Mike's siblings to the swim meet and Mrs. Klitch's school board meeting was more important than looking for Mike! Big red flags here! Why? Or was Mike so independent for his age, that it was common in his day to day activities to be gone for extended periods of time. Do you guys see some parental priority neglect here? Why or why not?

Satch

The Grandview Swimming pool is only a few blocks from the tennis courts. His mother may have thought that he had already left the tennis courts to go to the pool and meet his siblings there. Don't over think this using to days lens. 1971 was a different era, kids had more freedom and parents would not find it unusual for their kids to change plans in midflight. No matter how dependable he may have been he was still a kid and kids do dumb things.

Sorry if I keep posting and am being a pain.....

I need to know who posted the archives and scans of the CJ and Dispatch articles so I can give credit to my thoughts from that reading-- I just finished reading all the articles and it cleared a few things up;
1) The note- The mother is not talking about Michael leaving her a note when he initially leaves-- she DOES know he is going to practice tennis, where he will be and to be picked up at 330pm. When she is mentioning him not leaving a note it is in reference to the fact if he came home instead of being picked up and wasn't where he should be after her school board meeting he would have left a note. The fact he didn't was why she knew something was off and him not being there at 330 was not because he left to do something else with a change of plans. Remember back then kids honestly could be gone for the entire day and parents didn't have quite the concern they do know. I don't think it's odd that she went to the board meeting when he wasn't there-- she most likely assumed he walked someplace else.
2) WHY ISN'T THIS A BIGGER DEAL:

Citizen Journal, Wednesday July 14, 1971
" One Grandview business man whose name was found on bankslips near the tool shed where the body was found has been cleared. "
The police quote is: " He had hired an elderly man to clean his garage and the old fellow unwittingly dumped the trash in that gravel pit"

WAIT...WHAAAAT? The "elderly fellow UNWITTINGLY" drove 30 miles and accidentally discarded garbage from this grandview business guy's home in the exact location Michael's body and belongings were found??????? Two different people in the same week fell upon this rural shack 35 miles from Grandview and used it to dump garbage.....off the hook....

And later in the Dispatch on Monday July 19, 1971:
" Authorities are going on the theorey that even if the youth was not sexually assualted, the crime was probably sexually motivated and are following up on leads on homosexuals"

Oy vey........so I wonder how that investigation went and where they started? Looking for homosexuals? How about not discounted the middle aged, middle to upper class, most likely heterosexual business man with his bank slips at the CRIME SCENE???? Who is this guy?

I am starting to feel very strongly that today, even without cell phones and GPS this case would have been solved a lot sooner because the lens in which it would be looked through would be more open to the fact it could be one of their own. ( not a "deviant" ).

Sorry for the ramblings....This one hits home for me a little more than others....
Makes perfect sense! It would be interesting to know who this businessman
For UFO Boy and everyone else,

What chance do you put that Anderson killed Mike Klitch?

Satch
Some similarities to the Anderson case so enough of a chance to look into it further by LE. IMO.

Last edited:
Could this man be responsible? The body of John Muncy was found very close to where Michael's had been. The cases are too similar to at least consider the possibility.

Authorities solve cold-case slaying of dismembered teen boy

That is an interesting theory though for a serial killer to go silent for 12 years, while not unheard of, is rather unlikely. Having looked at a map of where South Galena Road is located it really is not very close to where Mike Klitch was found it is actually several miles away. The condition of John Muncy's body when found begs the question "why change from a method of disposal that destroys all evidence to one that does not?"

The church where he, most likely, stopped to talk to his friends is 2 blocks from where he lived, slightly under 1/2 mile, the blocks south of Third Ave being approximately 1/4 mile long. There is also a church almost directly across the street from the Klitch home. I feel very certain that he was abducted before 3:30 pm because across the railroad tracks was a factory that had shift change at that time and many of the workers would cross the tracks and use Goodale Blvd as part of their route home.

I did not know that there were two churches within Mike's walking distance. Are either or both still around today?

Satch

This is probably a longshot, but I am going to throw this out there for consideration and discussion. I have no way to connect the murder to the following person, but now I am wondering.
As I have mentioned, I grew up in this area and Michael was in the school class of my brother, who is five years my senior. My best friend lived around the corner from me on Bluff Ave. Our family was very close to my friend's family, as they also had a daughter my sister's age and another boy a year older than me that was also my friend. Anyway, the father of this family died of a gunshot wound in the basement of their home, I am guessing around 1974-5. I was always told it was an accident while he was cleaning a gun, and I assumed that to be the truth and what everyone else believed. However, decades later, when my parents had died and I was cleaning out their home, I found an old local newspaper article on his death; while the death investigation was not yet complete, the article mentioned the probable cause was suicide. Nobody ever told me that and I don't know if any of his four kids ever knew the truth (though I suspect they were told any truth as they came of age). When I learned that this man's death was likely a suicide, I assumed it probably had something to do with his business; he was an attorney and maybe he was involved with something that was about to fall apart, is all I could figure. I don't know who might know the truth. I am now only a distant Facebook friend of the two boys, and I don't feel comfortable probing about their father's death (especially since their mother died about a year later, just a tragic time to dig up). The father was a bit creepy. He had a hard edge to him that made me feel a bit uncomfortable around him. He yelled, used the belt on the kids sometimes, I think. Like a strict military type you didn't want to cross.
A smoker and fairly heavy drinker. One likely route Michael took to the tennis courts could have passed this guy's home. Maybe he saw him pass with the tennis racket and went to get him to take out his anger, I don't know.
I don't feel I should print the guy's name publicly, but send me a private message if you want his name for further research (if you are in the Columbus area, you could search his death certificate and date, etc.). So, since I still remotely know some of his kids, I don't want to be seen as accusing their father. Still, whatever made me think of this possible (albeit remote) connection, I got goosebumps several times, as if some being was trying to tell me I was correct. Perhaps his guilt finally got to him and he took his life a few years later. OR, perhaps any officer at the time knows another cause for the guy's suicide. Who knows, it might explain two deaths that had long been mysterious. Still getting goosebumps about it, like someone is strongly telling me I solved it. But I can't prove it.

Bumping this thread today in the memory of Mike.

It has been 50 years ago this summer that Michael Dean Klitch disappeared and was later found murdered.

It is also sad that to this day his murder is still unsolved.

A recent comment on the Ohio Mysteries website has caught my attention.

It seems that Mike was not at the tennis court that day when another person was to have tennis practice with Mike.

1971: The unsolved murder of Michael Klitch

Https://www.ohiomysteries.com/ohio mysteries/1971-the-unsolved-murder-of-michael-klitch

Bumping this thread today in the memory of Mike.

It has been 50 years ago this summer that Michael Dean Klitch disappeared and was later found murdered.

It is also sad that to this day his murder is still unsolved.

A recent comment on the Ohio Mysteries website has caught my attention.

It seems that Mike was not at the tennis court that day when another person was to have tennis practice with Mike.

1971: The unsolved murder of Michael Klitch

Https://www.ohiomysteries.com/ohio mysteries/1971-the-unsolved-murder-of-michael-klitch
The first I have heard that another person was supposed to play tennis with Mike later that day. I read that he had a baseball game later that day, and his Dad said, "He would never miss that."

Satch

The first I have heard that another person was supposed to play tennis with Mike later that day. I read that he had a baseball game later that day, and his Dad said, "He would never miss that."

Satch

Same. I see that comment re. the fellow tennis player was made below the articles linked. Supposedly this sister says her late brother was due to meet him for tennis practice but he wasn't there. Of course, that wouldn't mean that Michael wasn't there at some point. It would be great if this case could be relooked at by cold case investigators, as it seems like the evidence is there re. the businessman's receipts and that he was given 'a pass' for whatever reason. JMO.

Last edited:
"The Columbus newspapers also reported that one resident who lived in the area near the shack recalled seeing a light green Chevrolet turn in that area late one night." This is quoted from an earlier post on this thread that I read today. I wonder if this make and colour of car was followed up on, particularly in regards to the businessman whose receipts were found. It seems this case would be worthwhile by investigators to look at again!

Same. I see that comment re. the fellow tennis player was made below the articles linked. Supposedly this sister says her late brother was due to meet him for tennis practice but he wasn't there. Of course, that wouldn't mean that Michael wasn't there at some point. It would be great if this case could be relooked at by cold case investigators, as it seems like the evidence is there re. the businessman's receipts and that he was given 'a pass' for whatever reason. JMO.

I have not seen the URL links, just read here at the site that another person was supposed to play tennis with Mike later that day, and first time I knew that.

The businessman's receipts I have a strong feeling that the businessman is the killer, of Mike, or knows the killer of Mike! The cops screwed up here by not taking that evidence seriously! I would also suggest that the two charcoal lighter cans should have been looked at more closely for evidence. Were those given to local LE or turned over to the FBI? You get the DNA from those cans, and match that DNA, That is Mike's killer!

LE wasted too much time on this case looking for the stereotyped pervert pedophile. While it still might have been, that time could have been better spent questioning the businessman whose name was on those receipts and doing DNA forensics on those lighter fluid cans, and matching them up to hair and skin DNA on Mike's clothes, How do we get this case reopened to do that? I heard that unsolved murder cases never close. Don't know if that is true or not. But I do know that new evidence presented in a murder case can force LE to reopen the investigation! This needs to be done to bring justice for Mike!

Satch

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kzrrz
Back