OH OH - Michael Klitch, 12, Grandview Heights, 28 June 1971

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have not seen the URL links, just read here at the site that another person was supposed to play tennis with Mike later that day, and first time I knew that.

The businessman's receipts I have a strong feeling that the businessman is the killer, of Mike, or knows the killer of Mike! The cops screwed up here by not taking that evidence seriously! I would also suggest that the two charcoal lighter cans should have been looked at more closely for evidence. Were those given to local LE or turned over to the FBI? You get the DNA from those cans, and match that DNA, That is Mike's killer!

LE wasted too much time on this case looking for the stereotyped pervert pedophile. While it still might have been, that time could have been better spent questioning the businessman whose name was on those receipts and doing DNA forensics on those lighter fluid cans, and matching them up to hair and skin DNA on Mike's clothes, How do we get this case reopened to do that? I heard that unsolved murder cases never close. Don't know if that is true or not. But I do know that new evidence presented in a murder case can force LE to reopen the investigation! This needs to be done to bring justice for Mike!

Satch

Yes, I agree that this case has a great deal of potential to be solved! I also don't have a clue how to get this case looked at again, although there are probably a few experts or moderators that might know how. Let's hope so.

Here's some info from the Columbus newspapers about the old wooden tool shack where the body of Michael Dean Klitch was found.

The shack did not burn down to the ground. One side of the shack wall and some of the shack floor had been scorched.

The Delaware County Sheriff told reporters at the crime scene that the shack would have burned to the ground if gasoline or another type of fuel had been used to burn the body.

A week after the body had been found in the old wooden tool shack, another ground search was conducted by LE in the area near the shack. Two cans of charcoal lighter fluid were found nearby in the tall weeds.

The Columbus newspapers also reported that one resident who lived in the area near the shack recalled seeing a light green Chevrolet turn in that area late one night.
I would like to add to this conversation. I'm from Grandview & was sexually assaulted at Woman Woods in Sept, 1971. I m starting to believe it was the same person.

I am not sure,

But if Mike's Dad was Richard Klitch, Richard was a very prominent tennis coach in the Ohio area. Here is an article about him:

Upper Arlington News - Google News Archive Search

It is from 2003.

If this is a relation, and I have almost no doubt it is, it is even more heartbreaking that Mike was abducted and killed simply doing something he likely enjoyed. Who knows? Maybe his Dad pushed him into tennis and Mike could have been reluctant, but my instinct is that Mike really enjoyed the game. Oh geez, I just thought of the article that talks about the special ball that his Dad gave him that was found at the court. Oh is this awful!!!

Satch
I went to school & church with the Klitch's. I would like to get involved with people looking into this case.

I went to school & church with the Klitch's. I was a victim of a sexual assault at Wyman Woods in Sept 1971. I saw the vehicle of my attacker. It anyone could send me more information. I have been in contact with the Delaware sheriff's office over the years.

I went to school & church with the Klitch's. I was a victim of a sexual assault at Wyman Woods in Sept 1971. I saw the vehicle of my attacker. It anyone could send me more information. I have been in contact with the Delaware sheriff's office over the years.

Welcome Gigi!

I have been interested in Mike's case for many many years! Many of us believe the following:

1.) Mike did not get into a car. He took a shortcut home Which would explain why no one saw him once he left the tennis court because he took a shortcut.

2.) The businessman's receipts found in the trash bin likely belong to Mike's killer. This is the same bin where his clothes and glasses were found. At the very least, whoever's name was on the receipts, knew the killer if he was not the killer.

3.) The killer was likely known to Mike or the family. Motive for the killing? The Klitch's where extremely athletic and involved in social community functions. The killer, or a relative of the killer sought revenge because he or a friend or family member was turned down for an important position by a member of the Klitch famly.

4.) The killer had the political and economic resources to keep things quiet, and got away with murder.

5.) The killer may have been involved with local businesses or construction.

6.) The killer was a local who knew the area extremely well within at least a 25 mile radius from Mike's home to where his body was found.

7.) Talking to the kids the Mike met up at the church across the street from the Klitch home, would have told us clues about Mike's activities for the day.

8.) Analyzing the charcoal lighter fluid cans for any matching DNA elements that could be found in a database, would likely prove Mike's killer. I believe that local LE got them turned over to the FBI, but don't know what happened to them.

9) The chest wounds on Mike were made by the killer in a very amateurish way. This was not a professional killing.

10.) Mike could have seen something illegal or immoral, had something done to him that was immoral and threatened to tell his parents. Knowing their status in the community, the killer was motivated to kill Mike and get out of town to evade capture. This is also a possibility along with #3.

Satch

Welcome Gigi! Can you tell us the vehicle description here? Just wondering if it was similar to the light green Chev a witness saw turning towards the shack in question one night.

Welcome Gigi!

I have been interested in Mike's case for many many years! Many of us believe the following:

1.) Mike did not get into a car. He took a shortcut home Which would explain why no one saw him once he left the tennis court because he took a shortcut.

2.) The businessman's receipts found in the trash bin likely belong to Mike's killer. This is the same bin where his clothes and glasses were found. At the very least, whoever's name was on the receipts, knew the killer if he was not the killer.

3.) The killer was likely known to Mike or the family. Motive for the killing? The Klitch's where extremely athletic and involved in social community functions. The killer, or a relative of the killer sought revenge because he or a friend or family member was turned down for an important position by a member of the Klitch famly.

4.) The killer had the political and economic resources to keep things quiet, and got away with murder.

5.) The killer may have been involved with local businesses or construction.

6.) The killer was a local who knew the area extremely well within at least a 25 mile radius from Mike's home to where his body was found.

7.) Talking to the kids the Mike met up at the church across the street from the Klitch home, would have told us clues about Mike's activities for the day.

8.) Analyzing the charcoal lighter fluid cans for any matching DNA elements that could be found in a database, would likely prove Mike's killer. I believe that local LE got them turned over to the FBI, but don't know what happened to them.

9) The chest wounds on Mike were made by the killer in a very amateurish way. This was not a professional killing.

10.) Mike could have seen something illegal or immoral, had something done to him that was immoral and threatened to tell his parents. Knowing their status in the community, the killer was motivated to kill Mike and get out of town to evade capture. This is also a possibility along with #3.

Satch
Thank you for responding! I believe if they would recheck the fingerprints they might have a match. His brother Tim was a year ahead of me in school. Older sister graduated with my sister & he had two younger sisters. One of them played tennis professionally. When I talked to Delaware they said they had a couple of suspects but they are deceased.

Thank you for responding! I believe if they would recheck the fingerprints they might have a match. His brother Tim was a year ahead of me in school. Older sister graduated with my sister & he had two younger sisters. One of them played tennis professionally. When I talked to Delaware they said they had a couple of suspects but they are deceased.

The police dropped the ball in the Klitch case for several reasons:

1.) They assumed a local pedophile/serial killer theory. Mike's found clothes and the businessman's receipts were not as analyzed. as well as they should have. How can LE miss that?

2.) The businessman hired an elderly man to clean out his garage, and than a week later or thereabouts, his receipts with his address on them are found in the dumping bin with Mike's clothes and glasses.

3.) At the time, Mike's parents believed that he got into a car with someone he knew or someone his Dad knew. Also emphasizing that a special brand of tennis ball was found at the court that his Dad had purchased for him and Mike would not leave his equipment lying around. However, people involved with the case have suggested it was more common to leave tennis balls lying around than thought.

4.) A surveillance camera would have ruled out once and for all, if a stranger approached Mike on the court or not. There was no evidence of a struggle on the court.

5.) Reports claim that Mike left the house at 2:10 pm Monday, June 28, 1971 to practice his serve for a local tennis tournament. His Mother, Joan was to pick him up around 3:30pm to take him and two of his siblings swimming.

6.) Mike likely talked to the kids near the church across the street from his house, for about 10 minutes, making the time 2:20.

7.) A walk to the tennis courts was about 20 minutes. 10 minutes via shortcut. I believe Mike took the long way to the courts and intended to walk home via the shortcut route, rather than wait for his Mother. It was boiling hot that day, and poor Mike was wearing a long sleeve shirt. About 94 degrees with 100 degree heat indexes. Mike does not get to the court before 2:45pm.

8.) Mike makes it to the tennis courts around 2:45, but does not play for very long. But long enough for a maid cleaning the high-rise condo units across the street to see him.

9.) Somewhere between 3:00-3:15 he leaves because it is so hot. And takes a shortcut going home. I put this at 70%. Mike's killer seeing him on the court at around this time and putting him into a car, only about 30%. Unless the motivation was that Mike's killer had a kid who was in that tennis tournament, and the kid and killer's father, were sick of Mike winning all the time. If that 30% is what happened, I think the killer knew Mike's time and place that he would be there.

10.) The conventional wisdom for me at least is that a neighbor saw Mike as he took a shortcut home and offered him inside his home under false pretenses. It didn't turn violent right away, until the neighbor began to question Mike about the "activity." In retaliation for what the neighbor saw as wrongdoing, Mike is likely molested and threatens to tell his parents the evil thing that the neighbor did. The neighbor overpowers Mike and stabs him to death.

11.) To keep this silent, and so that the killer's business reputation would not be destroyed, he gets Mike in the car, who is now dead, carries him out in a bag. Along with two cans of charcoal lighter fluid, Knowing the area well, he drives to Alum Creek Dam. (It had not become a lake yet) He knows the shack is there, removes Mike's clothes and glasses, puts them in the dumping bin, and burns Mike's body inside the shed. He knows that eventually Mike's body will be underwater, leaving all of the evidence 25 miles away, from the tennis court, so that he is never incriminated.

12.) A few weeks later at most, this businessman whom I believe is Mike's killer, hires an old man to help clean out his garage. (Maybe get rid of evidence?) It just so happens, that this guy's name and address is found on receipt items (Old newspapers and magazines? Or billing invoices?) in the same dumping bin with Mike's clothes, eyeglasses, and tennis racket! He was questioned and than released???? WHAT??? Guess they had to go back to looking for that stranger pedophile who never existed.

Satch

The police dropped the ball in the Klitch case for several reasons:

1.) They assumed a local pedophile/serial killer theory. Mike's found clothes and the businessman's receipts were not as analyzed. as well as they should have. How can LE miss that?

2.) The businessman hired an elderly man to clean out his garage, and than a week later or thereabouts, his receipts with his address on them are found in the dumping bin with Mike's clothes and glasses.

3.) At the time, Mike's parents believed that he got into a car with someone he knew or someone his Dad knew. Also emphasizing that a special brand of tennis ball was found at the court that his Dad had purchased for him and Mike would not leave his equipment lying around. However, people involved with the case have suggested it was more common to leave tennis balls lying around than thought.

4.) A surveillance camera would have ruled out once and for all, if a stranger approached Mike on the court or not. There was no evidence of a struggle on the court.

5.) Reports claim that Mike left the house at 2:10 pm Monday, June 28, 1971 to practice his serve for a local tennis tournament. His Mother, Joan was to pick him up around 3:30pm to take him and two of his siblings swimming.

6.) Mike likely talked to the kids near the church across the street from his house, for about 10 minutes, making the time 2:20.

7.) A walk to the tennis courts was about 20 minutes. 10 minutes via shortcut. I believe Mike took the long way to the courts and intended to walk home via the shortcut route, rather than wait for his Mother. It was boiling hot that day, and poor Mike was wearing a long sleeve shirt. About 94 degrees with 100 degree heat indexes. Mike does not get to the court before 2:45pm.

8.) Mike makes it to the tennis courts around 2:45, but does not play for very long. But long enough for a maid cleaning the high-rise condo units across the street to see him.

9.) Somewhere between 3:00-3:15 he leaves because it is so hot. And takes a shortcut going home. I put this at 70%. Mike's killer seeing him on the court at around this time and putting him into a car, only about 30%. Unless the motivation was that Mike's killer had a kid who was in that tennis tournament, and the kid and killer's father, were sick of Mike winning all the time. If that 30% is what happened, I think the killer knew Mike's time and place that he would be there.

10.) The conventional wisdom for me at least is that a neighbor saw Mike as he took a shortcut home and offered him inside his home under false pretenses. It didn't turn violent right away, until the neighbor began to question Mike about the "activity." In retaliation for what the neighbor saw as wrongdoing, Mike is likely molested and threatens to tell his parents the evil thing that the neighbor did. The neighbor overpowers Mike and stabs him to death.

11.) To keep this silent, and so that the killer's business reputation would not be destroyed, he gets Mike in the car, who is now dead, carries him out in a bag. Along with two cans of charcoal lighter fluid, Knowing the area well, he drives to Alum Creek Dam. (It had not become a lake yet) He knows the shack is there, removes Mike's clothes and glasses, puts them in the dumping bin, and burns Mike's body inside the shed. He knows that eventually Mike's body will be underwater, leaving all of the evidence 25 miles away, from the tennis court, so that he is never incriminated.

12.) A few weeks later at most, this businessman whom I believe is Mike's killer, hires an old man to help clean out his garage. (Maybe get rid of evidence?) It just so happens, that this guy's name and address is found on receipt items (Old newspapers and magazines? Or billing invoices?) in the same dumping bin with Mike's clothes, eyeglasses, and tennis racket! He was questioned and than released???? WHAT??? Guess they had to go back to looking for that stranger pedophile who never existed.

Satch
Was the name of the businessman ever released?

Hi All,

I am not a LE person or an authority on investigations. The horror of this being that Mike Klitch was an abducted and murdered child is something that is haunting and frightening beyond all comprehension. What I was wonder is, since DNA testing did not exist back in 1971, from an investigator perspective, is there any (so sorry to be so blunt, but I don't know how to put this delicately, I wish I could) is there any piece of evidence that LE could extract from Mike Klitch's remains or even his tennis items and clothes found in that illegal trash dump site for Mike Kitch's DNA? Where this DNA could be entered into a database nationally and try to match it against known criminal offenders?

Now as this is an unsolved murder/abduction, is it true that these casses never close, and can be reopened on the grounds of new evidence? Or does this vary by different state laws? Is Mike Klitch's case considered closed? I hope not, because it seems we are no closer to whom his abductor and killer was today, than back in 1971 when this happened.

Or is this case so old that we almost need to have a credible witness come forward and say he/she saw the abduction and or murder of Michael Klitch? Or a deathbed confession by his abductor and killer?

Satch
Are
Good points,

That picture seems to be at another location. The open road situation and Mike's horrifying abduction just kind of leaped out at me. Mike certainly could have played tennis on other courts. Is it known how many courts are at the Grandview Heights location now, or even back in 1971? I assume it was probably maybe one or two courts?

Absolutely correct that security was not anywhere near an issue that it is today, which is probably why at the time neither Mike's parents nor his siblings, or friends could have predicted such a tragic situation. Mike was certainly familiar with the game of tennis, far beyond his years, with his fathers' coaching expertise. He knew that court, had probably played there many, times without a second thought as to something bad happening if he was alone.

He was way overdressed for 100 degree heat, but if the Klitch's had an air conditioned home maybe neither he nor they knew just how hot it was that day. Most young kids don't really pay that much attention to the weather. The weather is important in this case, because I consider it a strong possibility that Mike may have really been suffering out there. Remember if the description of what he wore that day is correct, he had on a pull over-sweater in almost 100 degree heat. This is a dangerous health situation. Either he was taken by force, or his abductor and killer lured him with false pity. (Or perhaps both elements played a role.) Mike's uncomfortableness with what the heat was doing to him may have overtaken his fear of strangers and new situations. We also know that a gate WAS at this location, because one of Mike's tennis balls was found there.

This case gives new meaning to heartbreaking. If only Mike would have sensed the terrible heat even starting out for the court, and just turned around and gone back home. His life would have been saved!

Satch
Are the items still available? The person that is a possible suspect in my case wore the same type of glasses as Mike. Could those glasses be the killer's?

I had never thought of that! But this is possible considering:

1.) There was no evidence of a struggle at the tennis court.
2.) Mike didn't like new situations and new people
3.) The heat index was close to 100 degrees that day. Mike was overdressed like it was a 75-80 degree day.
4.) The perpetrator COULD have said something to someone, but maybe he said nothing to no one.
5.) Mike's clothes and tennis equipment were found nearby the shed, so he obviously had his tennis racquet, probably more than one ball (referencing the one found four feet from the gate.)

If Graham's assertion is correct, it is one of the most horrifying and painful situations that this poor, good kid endured. I wonder what LE has in the case file? I think we have two excellent theories:

A.) My possible belief that Mike was taken by force. ie a knife pulled on him as a threat. But it just seems that he would have screamed he would have ran, there would have been a struggle on the court. He was athletic. Could he have used his tennis racquet as a defense against his abductor and killer? He could have been knocked out by a chemical agent. We don't know how big his abductor and killer was. I don't think Mike went willingly.

B.) Graham's excellent post really sheds new light on this case! Mike collapsed from heat stroke or exhaustion. no ability to resit. Perpetrator can put him in a car, falsely charm him get him far away from the area. Know where the shack was. If or when Mike came to, he no longer had a chance. Murder him, burn the evidence. To abduct, hurt, and kill a passed-out kid? This gives new meaning to horrible and heartbreaking!

If anyone contacts the detective, via the above email, maybe we could tell him about this thread? That is so awesome that he is willing to take new leads and help bring justice to Mike Klitch and his family! It sure seems like Mike was an amazingly awesome kid!! This case REALLY haunts me! Thanks to everyone for your help and support in Mike's case!

Regards,

Satch
My brother said they searched all over, especially the wooded area where he maybe did hop a train. I suppose if he hopped a train, it could have picked up speed and maybe he was afraid to jump off at the tennis court. He could have gotten hauled by train to the other side of Columbus or to some scary train yard or who knows where. I drove right by the Klitch house Saturday, when I attended a funeral at the church across the street.
I did hear about him jumping trains.

Mike's brother Tim used to wear no sleeve sweater vests. Stripe would be on neck which was a v neck & around the arm holes. Grandview kids ran around all day every day. Parents watched out for each other's kids but would only see them at mealtime or when it got dark. I did hear that he jumped trains, on occasion.

I could be wrong, but I don't think so. Gigi, did you know the family? If so, how well did you know them? Mike in particular? This case has obsessed me for years!

Satch
I did not know him personally. Truth be told I have blocked out much of the years surrounding my assault. Tim was a year ahead of me. I'm pretty sure Mike would have been the class of 1977. My mom & his mom were friends.

Mike's brother Tim used to wear no sleeve sweater vests. Stripe would be on neck which was a v neck & around the arm holes. Grandview kids ran around all day every day. Parents watched out for each other's kids but would only see them at mealtime or when it got dark. I did hear that he jumped trains, on occasion.

That train hopping was actually a rumor,

Mike was apprehensive about new situations or new people, but was very adventurous and boasted often about risk taking. I grew up in the early 70's and in the summer, hot weather or not, us kids were always outside. We only came in for meals, and if we were in all day it was because we were sick.

I read that over 700 people attended Mike's memorial service. Mike's Dad Richard passed away rather recently.

Satch

Are

Are the items still available? The person that is a possible suspect in my case wore the same type of glasses as Mike. Could those glasses be the killer's?

No,
The glasses found in the bin were positively identified as Mike's glasses. His clothes and tennis racket were also found in the bin.

Satch

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kzrrz
Back