OH - Pike Co - 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered - 4 Wagner Family Members Arrested #87

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel the reason these murders got so little attention other than local was because most people could not in any way relate to the victims or the community. The initial national coverage included coverage of the junkyard looking property. In fact, several media sources actually referred to it as a junkyard. Then, when some media actually ventured into Piketon and reported on the citizens, they reacted badly as they did not like how they were portrayed. Even if it was an accurate portrayal. The "like the McCoy and Hatfields" saying came from the Governor himself. Chicken fighting, etc further distanced these murders even more from modern society. It got the coverage it deserved from the local media. It was not worthy of national coverage beyond the initial coverage.

<modsnip - Comparing attention/coverage of different case(s) is not allowed>

And surely the statement that the Rhoden murders were the worst murders in humanity is nothing more than hyperbole.

I can see this. Most folks don't have a clue where the Appalachian Region of the United States even is and don't care. <modsnip - comparing attention/coverage of different case(s) is not allowed> People here didn't even fully catch wind of the R/G case, and we're within a few hours' drive at most. A few clips on t.v. <modsnip - comparing attention/coverage of different case(s) is not allowed> Our family said from day one this was likely a family feud on the R/G case. Both families were in the drug trade, both families were fighting over custody, and another family was into it over custody of the youngest. It was either custody or drugs. That's infighting. Yes, JW is a special kind of killer, to have done what he did, and his mother combined, but we have two very insular, families, and it had to be one, or both. I see both. It's a story we see a lot in the news, unfortunately. Just not in the magnitude that the W4 took it too b/c of fear of retribution.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I heard that Billy shot Frankie also but would appreciate any clarification on this too.

Im still here but been Mia since early December. My first son December 7 unexpectedly, worse still he had doctor appointment booked for the 8th. He wasnt feeling very good for a few days before. Oh how I wish he had still been living at home, he wouldn't have been alone.
I don't seem able to concentrate very well so won't post very much just now. I need time as do the rest of the family. We are all supporting each other, and I have a lovely friend who is giving me support and such kind words.
Altojack,
My sincere condolences to you and yours, 50 is way too young and my heart breaks for you.

Not sure what's happening? Reporters Patricia and James are seated in front row but BW3 is no where to be seen at this time. Maybe court is running a bit late. BW3 arrived to the Courthouse.

Yes, probably running late. Pre-trial hearings are normally late in this case. Just guessing, prosecution and defense attorneys (and judge) might be catching up on the status of Billy's case. ETA, with GW4's case, these hearings were sometimes an hour late. It's normal. Some of that was probably due to COVID 19, sometimes couldn't get a court reporter, etc. Hopefully that's not an issue now. It looks like the court reporter is there already.

I'm glad Judge Deering is still presiding over these cases. It makes for a smoother transition, especially if there are new members of the prosecution team, etc. It's a complicated case, lots of evidence, witnesses, etc.

Michael Davis is new assistant prosecuting attorney
Judge is talking about his retirement coming up Feb 8. Rob Junk will be new judge, will ask Ohio Supreme Court for a new visiting judge. Will choose a successor judge.

New persons on prosecution team. Wilson appointed to a new state office, unable to participate. Will probably have one or two new people on the case.

Because of necessity to appoint new people, no point in setting new dates for this case. Some time in February new dates can be set.

Ask defense if its ok - they agree, are ok with it. Something about client wanting a change of venue. Will wait til later. Nothing from state, all ok. Asking Billy routine questions about meeting with his attorneys, all ok. Adjourn

At this point, we should probably watch the court calendar for Billy's case to see any new appointments and new date for the next pre-trial hearing. JMO IANAL

Last edited:
Well, thanks for sharing.

<modsnip - inappropriate criticism of some true crime followers> That probably does affect which criminal cases they feel are important. I will say that as a college grad myself, I disagree with your premise. Some of us follow cases to ensure those not in the upper reaches of society still receive justice.

JMO, I think the Rhoden/Gilley murders and subsequent trials have garnered a lot of media coverage, in spite of the location being in a fairly small town that’s a couple hours distant from 2 major metro areas. There was national coverage on most of the major tv networks, Law and Crime, Washington Post, etc. Billy’s trial will probably get similar coverage. If it doesn’t get a lot of TikTock or whatever fad social media coverage, it won’t really matter.

All of the highly educated professionals who worked for years to solve the murders and bring justice to the survivors obviously thought it was a worthwhile effort. The governor himself was in tears after Jakes confession and GW4s conviction, so he obviously cared a great deal about the victims and their families. IIRC, the governor has a law degree and spent many years serving as a prosecutor, attorney general and a US Senator.

True, some Americans who follow true crime stories prefer to follow the ones involving wealthy or upper middle class people. <modsnip - unnecessary commentary>
It nice that we live in a country where we celebrate our differences.
BBM How does following a case ensure that? Do you only follow cases in which the defendants are wealthy? The W4 themselves were actually turned down for a home loan, and setting fires for $. Not wealthy. Moderately successful criminals at best. Maybe G3's parents are/were but not his own family. Just curious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Following the hearing via live stream. Will tweet a bit. But good to follow
@pattinewberry
who is in the courtroom in #pikeCounty. No big news expected, but likely future hearing dates may be set. Open ?: will retiring Judge Deering agree to sit as visiting judge in this trial?

#billyWagner has been jailed in Butler County for years and hasn't been in court for more than a year. His oldest son was sentenced last month for the murders of 8 #Rhoden family members and is appealing. His dad maintains his innocence ... 1/2

... even though both his wife and their youngest son both independently testified that Ohio's most complex murder investigation was Billy's idea. His son told jurors his father killed three of the eight victims, which included his so-called best friend.

It was the marijuana grows that derailed the momentum. There was lots of initial national interest and an immediate $25,000 donation and planned fundraisers and vigils and talk of funeral money being raised and lots of public sympathy etc...

All that went away along with the $25,000 reward money because of DeWine making sure the world knew that not only were marijuana grows found, but that one was a commercial grow not for personal use. Reader said it wasn't just a couple of pot plants in the window.

Everything did a complete 180 after that. Suddenly it was all over the news that this was the work of the Sinaloa Drug Cartel. Tons of coverage talked about Sinaloa camps being found, Cartel busts in Ohio, "experts" saying it was the Cartel, how it couldn't be solved because the killers were back in Mexico, why didn't Chris live a fancier life with all his drug money, why did the Cartel leave the children alive when they kill everyone, and just on and on.

MSM and social media couldn't stop talking about a drug connection even saying all the R's were drug dealers, they brought it on themselves, Chris brought it on his family, on and on negative remarks about the victims.

The victims went from being a nice country rural family who didn't deserve this, to being a family of drug smugglers who got in over their heads and got themselves killed. Never would have happened if they just had stayed out of drugs.

Another factor in national coverage drying up is the fear factor. The guy who took back his $25,000 reward offer said he did so out of fear that the Cartel would retaliate against he and his family. The murders were so horrendous that they terrified people.

"Experts" warned that the Cartel was sending a message to everyone, that you don't infringe on their territory. Chris was accused of taking away Cartel business with his own competing grow operation. Chris angered the Cartel so they got revenge and sent a message, this is our area - back off or pay the price.

This is the catalyst for the nation backing off and for any negative press coverage. Poor Appalachian culture, teen girls skipping college having babies way too young, Illegal *advertiser censored* fighting, Rhoden boys were violent and met a violent end, photos emphasizing trailers with old vehicles in their yards, why did the Rhodens have so many cars?

A friend or relative gave an interview explaining that the sympathy and public generosity dried up after the marijuana grows were mentioned. I believe the family wanted to be left alone due to negative coverage.

It was 2 1/2 years before arrests. 2 1/2 years of Cartel drug speculation. After arrests headlines were "It wasn't drugs, it wasn't drugs, it wasn't drugs."

"It was custody not drugs, it was custody not drugs, it was custody not drugs."
I think the Sinola Drug angle probably brought more interest, not less. Nothing like that has ever scared Ruby from a case where he wanted to donate money before. That man even had OJ kicked out of his restaurant. He has an aversion to any and all drug use though. Weed was not legal then and it is barely legal in Ohio now.

Well, I haven't watched very many pre trial hearing, but that has to be the shortest one ever. At least BW3 knows how to say yeah and no. It was interesting how his lawyers were getting him to stand up. All IMO.

I caught the custody part but had the wrong person. I thought he meant the road rage lady might lose custody of her kids because the Rs pushed to get her in court over it. I thought he was accusing her or someone she knew. Nothing had been said about JW and HR custody dispute…
I thought the custody at first was tied to the public argument on FB between HMR and K's father over him not getting to be a part of her life.

I thought the road rage was either where CR2 was slapped or where the cars came down the Rhoden's road and were met with force.

The Derby car incident. They went onto another man's property and beat up him and his kid after a slur was made at a race.

I had a lot of theories at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member