OH Pike Co., 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #54

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Should we be reading anything into the fact that GW3 has no pretrial scheduled? Just seems a bit odd, an anomaly of sorts.

The Wagners' pretrial appearances, confirmed Tuesday by Attorney General Dave Yost's office, were rescheduled due to the COVID-19 pandemic to the following dates:

• Jake Wagner: June 22, 10 a.m.

• Billy Wagner: June 22 at 1:30 p.m.

• Angela Wagner: June 24 at 1:30 p.m.
There are not any hearings currently scheduled for George Wagner, according to the Attorney General's office."
Thanks for your kind words.

Yost made an announcement this past Tuesday?

Interesting. Do have the link?

It's GW4 who has not had anything scheduled since last January.

This was the article, not sure by how its marked but I think it was on April 22 this year and updated?

Today marks 4 years since 8 members of the Rhoden family were slain in their homes. Will the cases ever go to trial?
Thankx, I remember this and posted about it. I had pointed out something I find very significant - just my opinion.

I think what Angie's lawyer said finally gives some perspective on when the attorneys want the trials to be and that her attorney saying the case is getting "long in the tooth" is significant in that he is getting tired of waiting for trial.

Apparently, the only thing that would keep Angie's attorneys from doing her trial in the fall would be the covid virus postponing it.

I find this statement to be perplexing from Billy's attorney, according to the article:

"Collins said the Wagner family attorneys also have yet to receive the government’s discovery documents. "

This is a very general statement not reflective of the fact that the Wagner defense attorneys have received literally "tons" of evidence already. I thought the only issue at this point was getting all this voluminous amounts of discovery evidence organized, and they had presented a motion to employ a discovery coordinator to do this.

Thankx, I remember this and posted about it. I had pointed out something I find very significant - just my opinion.

I think what Angie's lawyer said finally gives some perspective on when the attorneys want the trials to be and that her attorney saying the case is getting "long in the tooth" is significant in that he is getting tired of waiting for trial.

Apparently, the only thing that would keep Angie's attorneys from doing her trial in the fall would be the covid virus postponing it.

I find this statement to be perplexing from Billy's attorney, according to the article:

"Collins said the Wagner family attorneys also have yet to receive the government’s discovery documents. "

This is a very general statement not reflective of the fact that the Wagner defense attorneys have received literally "tons" of evidence already. I thought the only issue at this point was getting all this voluminous amounts of discovery evidence organized, and they had presented a motion to employ a discovery coordinator to do this.
So why do you think no pretrial for GW4 has been scheduled? It seems a bit remiss doesn't it? The thing of course that pops to mind is are his lawyers not scheduling or complaining because their client is going to plea and the timing of it is part of the deal? I don't know, it's just GW4 case seems to be such an anomaly to the way the other 4 are running course within the court system. IMO

So why do you think no pretrial for GW4 has been scheduled? It seems a bit remiss doesn't it? The thing of course that pops to mind is are his lawyers not scheduling or complaining because their client is going to plea and the timing of it is part of the deal? I don't know, it's just GW4 case seems to be such an anomaly to the way the other 4 are running course within the court system. IMO
A lot to think about here. I have no idea why GW4 is starting to "stand out" a bit different from the other 3.

So GW4's last court hearing was January 21st. Then his Journal Entry says this:

WAGNER, IV, GEORGE WASHINGTON
02/06/2020 JOURNAL ENTRY

"Counsel for each of the parties confirmed to the Court that counsel for the State of Ohio intends to inform counsel for the Defendant concerning certain parts of the recordings of conversations delivered as part of the discovery that the Defendant's attorneys may wish to focus upon; and counsel for each party further confirmed to the Court that they have made arrangements to have a meeting between counsel, outside the presence of the Court, at the offices of BCI in order for counsel for each party to thoroughly review the items of discovery provided by that the State of Ohio."

The other 3 Wagners have Journal Entries from February as well, but their Journal Entries differ from GW4's in that they do not mention anything about the recordings. They mention going over the evidence at BCI but leave out the recordings.

#1.) His recorded statements on tape are specifically mentioned in his Journal Entry.
#2.) His attorneys went to BCI to hear these recorded statements.
#3.) His attorneys have not scheduled a hearing for him since listening to his recorded statements.
#4.) The other 3 Wagners were scheduled for April hearings.
#5.) The other 3 Wagners had those hearings moved to June because of the virus.
#6.) Attorney General Yost announced the 3 Wagners have hearings in June.
#7.) Billy's and Angela's attorneys spoke to the media about the hearings, trial, discovery etc...but NOT GW4's attorneys.

Does any of this mean that there was something so incriminating on those tapes that it has GW4 and his attorneys trying to decide if he should plea and cooperate?

Or is this just completely something else and nothing has changed at all and GW4 will soon get a hearing date and go on the same as the others?

Hummm....:rolleyes:....Wish I could give an answer....o_O

A lot to think about here. I have no idea why GW4 is starting to "stand out" a bit different from the other 3.

So GW4's last court hearing was January 21st. Then his Journal Entry says this:

WAGNER, IV, GEORGE WASHINGTON
02/06/2020 JOURNAL ENTRY

"Counsel for each of the parties confirmed to the Court that counsel for the State of Ohio intends to inform counsel for the Defendant concerning certain parts of the recordings of conversations delivered as part of the discovery that the Defendant's attorneys may wish to focus upon; and counsel for each party further confirmed to the Court that they have made arrangements to have a meeting between counsel, outside the presence of the Court, at the offices of BCI in order for counsel for each party to thoroughly review the items of discovery provided by that the State of Ohio."

The other 3 Wagners have Journal Entries from February as well, but their Journal Entries differ from GW4's in that they do not mention anything about the recordings. They mention going over the evidence at BCI but leave out the recordings.

#1.) His recorded statements on tape are specifically mentioned in his Journal Entry.
#2.) His attorneys went to BCI to hear these recorded statements.
#3.) His attorneys have not scheduled a hearing for him since listening to his recorded statements.
#4.) The other 3 Wagners were scheduled for April hearings.
#5.) The other 3 Wagners had those hearings moved to June because of the virus.
#6.) Attorney General Yost announced the 3 Wagners have hearings in June.
#7.) Billy's and Angela's attorneys spoke to the media about the hearings, trial, discovery etc...but NOT GW4's attorneys.

Does any of this mean that there was something so incriminating on those tapes that it has GW4 and his attorneys trying to decide if he should plea and cooperate?

Or is this just completely something else and nothing has changed at all and GW4 will soon get a hearing date and go on the same as the others?

Hummm....:rolleyes:....Wish I could give an answer....o_O

In GW4's first hearings, Angela Canepa stated in court that GW4 was recorded discussing plans to help other family members escape and to engage in retaliation against LE and then AG DeWine. That will be key evidence the prosecution will use and they're giving GW4's attorneys fair warning they need to review that recording (s). At this point we don't know if there are one or more incriminating recordings.

In GW4's first hearings, Angela Canepa stated in court that GW4 was recorded discussing plans to help other family members escape and to engage in retaliation against LE and then AG DeWine. That will be key evidence the prosecution will use and they're giving GW4's attorneys fair warning they need to review that recording (s). At this point we don't know if there are one or more incriminating recordings.
It is interesting though that listening to those recordings at BCI was not mentioned pertaining to any of the other three. I can almost guarantee GW4 was not talking to himself on those recordings.

So either GW4's lawyers are more fearful for their client because he takes center stage on those recordings and is the only one saying prosecutable things or the other Wagner's lawyers are lax in their defense?

Are GW4's lawyers not allowed copies? Do they have to listen to those recordings at BCI? I would think copies would have been given with no need to physically show up at BCI. Just all very odd to me.

There were multiple conversations but your right we don't know if more than one of them was incriminating but from what Canepa said in court it sounds to me like the Wagners did incriminate themselves over multiple conversations, not just in one conversation.

Canepa said at Fred's bond hearing:

"We have information from a confidential reliable resource--ahh--source that there was a collection of individuals out at Miss Wagner's home on one occasion, on at least one occasion I should say..."

Canepa said at GW4's bond hearing:

"...and or help the other individuals escape and I would note that is not the only conversation, I only brought up that conversation as it pertained to Miss Wagner but there have been multiple conversations where those sorts of threats have been made and I would say that specifically George Wagner is probably the most vocal in making those threats..."

Think about it, revenge and escape are not going to be brought up "out of the blue,"
there would have to be context to it. No doubt they discussed why they thought some of them could be arrested and the reasons why the future Governor of Ohio should be harmed, he amongst others.

Canepa brought up revenge and escape only because she was fighting against low bond for Fred and against any bond for GW4 but I have no doubt the Wagners discussed much more than just these 2 subjects. For the bond hearings Canepa did not need to bring up the other incriminating things they likely said.

...2 Cents....

It is interesting though that listening to those recordings at BCI was not mentioned pertaining to any of the other three. I can almost guarantee GW4 was not talking to himself on those recordings.

So either GW4's lawyers are more fearful for their client because he takes center stage on those recordings and is the only one saying prosecutable things or the other Wagner's lawyers are lax in their defense?

Are GW4's lawyers not allowed copies? Do they have to listen to those recordings at BCI? I would think copies would have been given with no need to physically show up at BCI. Just all very odd to me.
Right, GW4 wasn't talking to himself so it wouldn't make sense to use
the tapes only against him. Perhaps, as you mention, it is simply GW4's attorneys putting an emphasis on their client's recorded conversations, thus, they want the Journal Entry to reflect this. Just a matter of attorney style.

If there is no hearing scheduled for GW4 by the end of next month, after the other 3 hearings, then something is up. He would not need to attend hearings if he is being debriefed behind the scenes on his role in the crimes so he can take a plea and avoid sitting for years on death row. General population is much preferable to sitting isolated in the DR housing units.

I give it 50/50 as to him cooperating. I actually would be surprised if he cooperates because he had his trial scheduled for September 4, 2019 and appeared ready to take his chances at trial.

...2 Cents....

the tapes only against him. Perhaps, as you mention, it is simply GW4's attorneys putting an emphasis on their client's recorded conversations, thus, they want the Journal Entry to reflect this. Just a matter of attorney style.

If there is no hearing scheduled for GW4 by the end of next month, after the other 3 hearings, then something is up. He would not need to attend hearings if he is being debriefed behind the scenes on his role in the crimes so he can take a plea deal and avoid sitting for years on death row. General population is much preferable to sitting isolated in the DR housing units.

I give it 75% against him turning State's evidence and 25% that he does. I actually would be surprised if he cooperates because he had his trial scheduled for September 4, 2019 and appeared ready to take his chances at trial.

Turn State's evidence refers to an accused criminal "turning" on an accomplice in the crime by testifying against that person. This is typically done so that the accused criminal can get a reduced sentence, have charges dropped, etc. Such testimonies can be highly significant in criminal cases.

Last edited:

If there is no hearing scheduled for GW4 by the end of next month, after the other 3 hearings, then something is up. He would not need to attend hearings if he is being debriefed behind the scenes on his role in the crimes so he can take a plea deal and avoid sitting for years on death row. General population is much preferable to sitting isolated in the DR housing units.

I give it 75% against him turning State's evidence and 25% that he does. I actually would be surprised if he cooperates because he had his trial scheduled for September 4, 2019 and appeared ready to take his chances at trial.

Turn State's evidence refers to an accused criminal "turning" on an accomplice in the crime by testifying against that person. This is typically done so that the accused criminal can get a reduced sentence, have charges dropped, etc. Such testimonies can be highly significant in criminal cases.

I agree with you, CC. I won't believe any of the 4 will turn on the others until I see it. I still have my doubts as to Rita actually turning over much. JMO

I wonder if the W's had some plan or idea that GW4 would be the one to get out. Which is why he was the most vocal on the tapes that AC talked about in his hearing. I don't think he's going to do anything to be with his son. That kid is and was always secondary. That kid was used as a means to control and punish his ex-wife. Does anyone on here really believe that these people are capable of loving a child the way a parent should? Children are nothing more than tools to them. GW4 is no different or better than the rest of the people in that family. My opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GFinder