OH - Pike Co - 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue - 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #80

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just thought of another compromise that could work. Ever see the stenographer in court that has like a kind of gas mask looking contraption that they're talking into? They don't seem to disturb the proceedings at all and they're front and center in the middle of it all. Why can't reporters (make it a lottery, limit of three?) sit and speak into one of those that's then transcribed as it's happening in the media room and then published online?

Todd Dykes
@ToddDykesWLWT
Jake Wagner testified this morning that he put items like these into buckets filled w/ concrete a month or two after the #PikeCountyMassacre. #WLWT

Oooh! It worked!

Attachments

• FgAs1vrWQAI6YVk.png
    FgAs1vrWQAI6YVk.png
    384.7 KB · Views: 37
@ToddDykesWLWT
and
@VideomikeWLWT
This is murder suspect George Wagner, Jake's brother, looking at images of the weapons that Jake said he, George & their dad Billy carried during the night of the 2016 #PikeCountyMassacre. #WLWT

Attachments

• FgAtpzcWYAIvSTq.png
    FgAtpzcWYAIvSTq.png
    427.3 KB · Views: 10
This is a pix of the SKS-style assault rifle Jake said belonged to his brother, George. On Monday, Jake said George held the gun in "firing position" at the 1st crime scene but basically froze when Jake told him to pull the trigger. Jake said he grabbed the gun & opened fire.

Todd Dykes, WLWT

Attachments

• FgAuGH-WQAA8ydF.png
    FgAuGH-WQAA8ydF.png
    255.7 KB · Views: 29
https://twitter.com/Angenette5

UPDATE: Prosecution, Jake Wagner's lawyers and GW4's lawyers all opposed allowing Jake Wagner to testify on camera or using audio. State and JW's lawyers said it creates a security risk for JW. "Snitches get Stiches", essentially.

LUNCH BREAK IN OH v. #GeorgeWagnerIV. This morning, Angie Canepa clarified that Sophia reportedly made allegations of sexual abuse by Jake Wagner's now ex-wife, Elizabeth, and Sophia later said she made it up because she felt like Jake was giving Elizabeth/Beth Anne more attention than she was getting. Jake confirms his brother told him Elizabeth shouldn't be living in the same house and suggested she needed to go

Jake said "We agreed she would move in with her friend in Nashville, she would get grants for college, go to med school and they would work on their relationship during the week b/c Jake's truck driving job took him through Nashville

Jake said he later learned that Elizabeth had wanted to leave the relationship permanently. He said despite Sophia saying she made it up, he was suspicious of Elizabeth. After she left, he said he received two emails and a phone call from her.

Jake said he learned later that BCI was behind the call from Elizabeth which he suspected. He said conversations he had with GW4 in 2018 in their truck were recorded and they suspected BCI was listening at the time

Jake said he remembers saying something like "I know you're listening, Ryan" in the truck -referring to Special Agent Ryan Scheiderer of BCI. He says he tried to avoid saying anything incriminating.

All of the sudden court stopped for a few minutes, bailiff Jason approached Judge Deering and they went into chambers for a few minutes. BCI and Dept. of Corrections agents scrambled around and we wondered what happened

Jake was moved to the back room. Then, Judge Deering came back in and it appeared the fire chief came in and looked around as testimony continued. Hearing rumbles about someone calling the fire dept about capacity

Jake said he knew BCI had confronted Rita Newcomb, his maternal grandmother, about the custody documents. Jake said he told Rita, Chris Newcomb and Randa Hughes they didn't have to talk to BCI.

Jake said "I know I didn't" when asked whether he told Rita to lie about signing the custody documents. Jake said he was aware Rita was going to say she signed the documents. That happened at Fredericka's home.

Jake said someone in his family initially paid for Rita's lawyer but he doesn't know who. He believe it was his mother.

Jake said he doesn't remember telling Elizabeth that he always wore boots and would never wear the ugly Wal-Mart gym shoes. He remembers the discussion in the truck with GW4 calling the gun list a "wish list.”

Jake said he remembers his brother receiving a photo from BCI in which Jake was holding the Colt 1911 .22 and a Maglite suppressor. Jake said he and his brother called their bosses and said they had a family emergency.

Jake said he didn't think BCI had recovered the gun because he knew they hadn't. He said he thought BCI broke a regulation by not going through their lawyer

Jake said he remembered a lot of discussion about whether the hand in the photo was his. Jake said the chat happened at the Flying W and Angela, Billy, Rita and GW4 were all present

Jake said he's not aware whether Elizabeth heard the conversation about him holding the gun. He said he recalled telling her he thought the house was bugged. He also shared concerns about BCI and media trying to talk to them

Jake said he was concerned Fredericka's home was bugged. As for the threats GW4 made to BCI and
@MikeDeWine
, "I cannot say per se threats but what I called vented frustrations.”

Jake said the threats were physical in nature. Jake said he tried to calm him down and to not say things like that in the truck.

When asked, Jake said about his upbringing "I was taught to always be respectful and compliant and if one was being investigated, be aware of surroundings. Always act like you belonged where you was and if you were" (cont)

to hide something, hide it in plain sight." He said Billy was upset that he had bought silencer parts online and that he and GW4 had dyed their hair. Jake said he doesn't recall GW4 telling him he should have gotten rid of the laptop in Montana

Jake said he also remembered GW4 saying something to him about his honestly always getting them in trouble. He also remembers Billy making a comment at Gary's funeral about Kenneth's dog Brownie being in the camper but he didn't move

Jake said Billy had a dog that came from Chance, Chris Sr's dog and a female dog.

Jake said he and Billy had a conversation about the murders where BW asked him if he had any regrets about the murders. Billy was frustrated by what he had done for Jake

Jake said he said in response to Q about regrets, "I had told him I did not." But Jake said that wasn't true. He said "I felt if I told him I believed it could have gone differently, he would feel like it wasn't worth it and he would commit suicide

Jake said when asked that he was aware that his mother had been sexually assaulted while she was in the military but it was never reported. He said he knew Rita was charged with forgery.

In Dec. 2019, Rita agreed to cooperate and said she couldn't lie anymore because it wasn't the Christian thing to do. Jake said that statement was like "an answer from God." He said he had prayed for that.

Shortly thereafter, he confessed to his lawyers to get it off of his chest but told them he wouldn't testify at his trial b/c he didn't want to lie. He thinks in March, April 2021 they talked about resolving his case.

Jake said, "There as a lot that I wanted" but ultimately he got the death specifications removed from his and hiss family members cases IF he testified fully and honestly against them.

Jake said he met with prosecutors over two to three days and told them everything. He told them where to find the guns and then identified the gun parts displayed on the screen. "I cut it up and put it alll in" the buckets

Parts of the Glock and Colt 1911 .22
@LawCrimeNetwork
Brooke LaValley - Columbus Dispatch

1666807950045.png

JMO, there's some legit reason why the prosecution and court want to keep him off camera. I don't think its a frivolous decision.
As long as the judge holds a hearing first. As they said this morning, the whole issue of having a hearing for every witness who opts out is going to be a real burden on the courts going forward. They're going to need to find a better way of doing this.
My guess (and that is what it is, a guess) is that Judge Deering will ask for clarification about the ruling in terms of its effect on the orderly and predictable course of the trial. There is no way to have a hearing every morning when a witness or witnesses opt out; the Appeals Court crafted a hasty and ill-considered opinion.

Quick recap of morning in George Wagner IV trial in Pike Co. Was in courtroom all morning with no phone. Judge ruled Jake could continue to opt out in morning hearing. Later the appeals court clarified its ruling from yesterday, saying people could continue to opt out
@local12

Jake retook the stand at about 10:30 a.m. and testified for 20 minutes before another delay - the fire marshall was called for possible overcrowding in the courtroom. Proceedings continued until 12:30 - and back at 1:45 p.m.
@local12

Highlights of today included seeing the actual murder weapons for the first time. Jake identified all the parts from all three guns he had cut up and that were recovered from the cement buckets in lake at Flying W ranch.
@local12

Jake testified he told his father he had no regrets about the homicides but that he lied because he didn't want his father to think he did something that wasn't worth it and then commit suicide.
@local12

He said he was arrested in November 2018. Soon after that, his grandmother Rita Newcomb recanted and admitted she didn't notarize the custody documents. He said that affected him and made him not want to lie anymore.
@local12
"It seemed like it was the answer I was looking for -- that it was an answer from God?" prosecutor asked. "It was what I was praying for." Rita had pleaded guilty in December 2019 - shortly thereafter, Jake confessed to his lawyers "to get it off my chest."
@local12
Well. Huh.

https://twitter.com/chrisgraves

Was running late this morning and didn't Tweet that I was back in #pikecounty + in court. But need to focus by out-of-court time on

@Unl_CoJMC
work. Follow at
@pattinewberry
for awesome, ongoing coverage.

https://twitter.com/pattinewberry

Jake Wagner is about to resume testimony in the #PikeCountyMassacre Trial of his brother #GeorgeWagnerIV. Late start for a hearing related to media access.

Lots of drama in the #PikeCountyMassacre trial of #GeorgeWagnerIV this morning as his brother Jake took the stand for the third consecutive day. After two days of responding to questions with spare, limited answers, Jake Wagner admitted regrets for the killings. 1/9

On Monday, Jake Wagner told jurors he killed five of the eight Rhoden victims, shooting them in the head, sometimes multiple times. Today, he said he never talked to his mother or brother about the homicides. But he did talk to his father. "It was very brief,." he said. 2/9

"He was frustrated with me because of what he had, per se, been made to do because of me, and asked if I regretted doing the homicides," Jake Wagner said. 3/9

Special Prosecutor Angela Canepa asked Jake Wagner how he answered his father, George "Billy" Wagner III. "I told him I did not," he said. "Was that true?" Canepa asked. "It was not," Jake Wagner replied. 4/9

Canepa then asked why he did not admit his regret to his father. "To make him feel better," Jake Wagner replied. "I felt that if I told him it ... could have caused him to have more misery. It could have led him to commit suicide." 5/9

Under questioning, Jake Wagner said he decided to admit his guilt after his grandma Rita Newcomb admitted her involvement in covering up forging of custody documents in the case. "I felt like it was the answer I was looking for at the time. It was an answer from God," he said.6/9

Canepa then showed the jury 16 photos of weapons and ammo used in the shootings and recovered from buckets of concrete. On Tuesday, Jake Wagner said he cut up and tried to melt the weapons; his father helped fill the buckets; the whole family helped deposit them in a lake. 7/9

Wednesday morning started with a hearing called by Judge Randy Deering related to a media request challenging the "opt out" option for witnesses. The judge denied the request. 8/9

Proceedings were also interrupted for about 10 minutes by a visit from local fire officials. They removed folding chairs installed this week to accommodate the growing crowd. Jake Wagner remains on the stand under questioning by Canepa. 9/9

Posting this tweet since I haven't seen this reported anywhere else.

"Later the appeals court clarified its ruling from yesterday, saying people could continue to opt out"

Does this mean that things will continue as they were before, people opting in/out (no hearings needed), or am I misunderstanding?

Last edited:
Quick question to anyone...if I save WLWT photos to my device, can I attach them in message (see attach files)
If you are asking about screenshots from the live broadcast, I asked the mods the same thing and the answer I got was that it is ok as long as you post the link for the broadcast and an approximate time when the capture was made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18