OH - Pike Co - 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue - 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #80

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, listen up! This is a series of tweets from Derek Myers. This is his view. Right or wrong, please keep in mind we haven't yet heard from Judge Deering. Just keep that in mind.

Derek Myers @DerekMyers

Moments ago, the media won a restraining order (for lack of better words) achieving two things:

1. Jake Wagner’s testimony must cease until the court holds a hearing as to why his testimony may be shielded from the public.

2. The media and public are now free to come and go from the court room, as opposed to being locked in/out during proceedings.

Media lawyer @jackcgreiner
has joined the case and has requested a hearing be held to determine if the testimony of Jake Wagner can be filmed in the trial of #GeorgeWagnerIV

He also provided a long no to Scioto Valley Guardian

I am hoping we get to at least read a transcript of JW testimony, so much of what he is testifying to is lost, the media all appear to tweet about the same points, the articles all seem to have the same information, the colour is missing IMO,

but he is fulfilling his bargain with the state,

Wouldn't surprise if Deering decides to close the trial down to media .
I wonder if he can do that when much of it has been recorded, I am sure he is pretty hacked off with the media by now, but IMO if Ohio is a state that allows for cameras in the courtrooms then unless a witness can show they will be harmed by showing their face I think he is on the losing side, most of the reporters who have covered trials in Ohio for years say that if a witness chooses not the show their face they have always been allowed to record the audio,

I wonder if he can do that when much of it has been recorded, I am sure he is pretty hacked off with the media by now, but IMO if Ohio is a state that allows for cameras in the courtrooms then unless a witness can show they will be harmed by showing their face I think he is on the losing side, most of the reporters who have covered trials in Ohio for years say that if a witness chooses not the show their face they have always been allowed to record the audio,

100%

I can't imagine them having to start over with JW testimony even if they win the appeal, as much as I would like to watch all his testimony, I can't see the Judge making the state start again.

Such bull. All this had plenty of time to be taken care of months, no years, ago. What is this? Stall tactics?

I'm afraid everyone is going to end up with PTSD trying to follow this after several years.

Sorry, just had to vent my frustration.

I am hoping we get to at least read a transcript of JW testimony, so much of what he is testifying to is lost, the media all appear to tweet about the same points, the articles all seem to have the same information, the colour is missing IMO,

but he is fulfilling his bargain with the state,

Could be this is a way for the defense attorneys to get Jake's testimony thrown out, so jurors can't consider it.

GW4's defense has filed many motions for mistrial and having evidence thrown out, so this wouldn't be a surprise. Judge Deering has been very careful to avoid giving defense any ammo. IANAL, the judge may have to stop and start from the beginning with Jake's testimony. JMO, he'll do whatever it takes to make sure Jake's testimony stays on track.

Okay, listen up! This is a series of tweets from Derek Myers. This is his view. Right or wrong, please keep in mind we haven't yet heard from Judge Deering. Just keep that in mind.

Derek Myers @DerekMyers

Moments ago, the media won a restraining order (for lack of better words) achieving two things:

1. Jake Wagner’s testimony must cease until the court holds a hearing as to why his testimony may be shielded from the public.

2. The media and public are now free to come and go from the court room, as opposed to being locked in/out during proceedings.

Media lawyer @jackcgreiner
has joined the case and has requested a hearing be held to determine if the testimony of Jake Wagner can be filmed in the trial of #GeorgeWagnerIV

He also provided a long no to Scioto Valley Guardian

I'm not giving him any clicks for his web site or Twitter feed. I've avoided it for most of the trial.

Hi All,

Here's the link to GW4's court docket, with reference to Motion 73, filed 9/24/2021 by GW4's attorneys

09/24/2021MOTION #73--MOTION TO DISMISS AGGRAVATED MURDER COUNTS AND/OR DEATH SPECIFICATIONS FILED Attorney: NASH, JR, RICHARD M AND Attorney: PARKER, JOHN PATRICK

The decision is at the same link. I'm preparing for cataract surgery in the next couple of weeks. This text is very difficult for me to read and I've copied it a number of times here. Just scroll into 2022 and you will see his reply.

When we find it, I'd like to request that Mods consider posting it at the beginning of each thread for future reference.

Bottom line of judge's decision - Sentence offered in plea agreement is by special prosecutors. Trial sentencing is not their jurisdiction, it belongs to the Judge and vice versa.

JMO, it's similar to having a 50% off coupon for one store and trying to use it at a different store.

If there is still disagreement, I suggest having @PrairieWind read it. TIA
Good luck with your eye surgery, Pru. Also, hurry up the recovery process so you won't be gone too long. <Crossing fingers>

Could be this is a way for the defense attorneys to get Jake's testimony thrown out, so jurors can't consider it.

GW4's defense has filed many motions for mistrial and having evidence thrown out, so this wouldn't be a surprise. Judge Deering has been very careful to avoid giving defense any ammo. IANAL, the judge may have to stop and start from the beginning with Jake's testimony. JMO, he'll do whatever it takes to make sure Jake's testimony stays on track.
I simply cannot imagine the hardship this places on the family. They have been through so much, I'll admit I want to hear and watch Jake's testimony and Angela's but I want the family to see an end to this additional heartache more.

/
https://twitter.com/jamespilcher

Second morning thread from a very eventful day at the George Wagner IV murder trial in Pike Co. Jake Wagner was supposed to resume testifying but there has been development by way of media rules and opting in etc. On recess until 1 p.m.

Scioto Valley Guardian editor

@DerekMyers
filed an appeal over those media orders in general and this morning the 4th district court of appeals unanimously overturned the rules. Three judge panel ruled there needs to be hearing if any restrictions are to be put in place.

The court needs to find that the court should be open with no opting out of video unless the hearing "finds that there exists a reasonable and substantial basis for believing that public access could harm or endanger the fairness of the adjudication.

The ruling landed during morning break, and lawyers from both sides went into chambers for on-record conference, then joined by Jake Wagner's lawyers. We're standing by to see if there will be a hearing called before testimony starts again.

Other reasons the court could put restrictions into place per this ruling: "the potential for harm outweighs the benefits of public acccess" and "there are no reasonable alternatives to closure.”

Other key notes from Jake's testimony this morning: Jake said he didn't tell his daughter Sophia that her mother Hanna Rhoden was dead until a week or two after the homicides.

Jake testified he, his brother and his father went to all the Rhoden funerals, including Gary's in Kentucky. Also said he looked at Chris Rhoden Sr as "a second father and hoped he would be my father in law."

Also Jake said he tried to erase the memory of the killings entirely, and told his parents that he was bottling it all up. Also said the family started worrying about BCI listening in after his first interview with agents after the murders.

Finally - Jake said his mother Angela Wagner started the page asking for donations for his legal expenses to keep Sophia. Says he got $1,000 out of it.

Second morning thread from a very eventful day at the George Wagner IV murder trial in Pike Co. Jake Wagner was supposed to resume testifying but...
IMO, there needs to be clear definition of "the public." "The public" nowadays are online, etc. We as the public have been denied open court proceedings.
I can see whistleblowers, LE, et al, as they are at-large. Jake and AW are convicted felons who are being protected by LE, around the clock.

Oh WOW, I've never watched a trial like this before!
How old is that Ohio law that allows no audio/video? Some seriously needs to bring those personnel up to day, in the world of internet, et al.
Just because we can't attend in person -- open court -- shouldn't exclude those of us who want to see/hear this.

JW and AW agreed in their proffers to testify in "open court." Again, doesn't matter WHERE/HOW this "open court" takes place the public is DUE their rights too.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member