OH Pike County: 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested#42

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The W4 have 3 counts of evidence tampering but 4 counts of burglary and 1 count of wire intercepts.

Which location didn't have evidence tampering?

Does the wire intercept mean 1 location, 1 device or is it a broad charge (like conspiracy) that covers everything?

If someone hacked my phone they would hear my phone calls but they wouldn't be able to visually see very much except for the ceilings and inside of my purse.

If they hacked into security cameras then could they heat anything?

The trials can't happen soon enough for me...so many questions.

Another sleepless night and looking up info. Remember these words? He said she taught Sunday school for nearly a half-century and “has lived about as close to the cross as anyone can.” Her attorney was very impressed FW did not even have a traffic ticket. Even claiming her life was (paraphrasing) "closer to the cross than anyone at the prosecution table." I wish attorney J Owens hadn't said that...it was not "courtly?" But, since he brought it up, oh well:
He who lives in a glass house, shouldn't throw stones? I know there has got to be a moral to this story. (Open for suggestions)
Two Attorneys Receive One-Year Suspensions
Shocking affidavit: During man's trial, wife slept with his lawyer
That is just slimy.
Edit...MOO.

The W4 have 3 counts of evidence tampering but 4 counts of burglary and 1 count of wire intercepts.

Does the wire intercept mean 1 location, 1 device or is it a broad charge (like conspiracy) that covers everything?

If someone hacked my phone they would hear my phone calls but they wouldn't be able to visually see very much except for the ceilings and inside of my purse.

Many cams also do audio, even the really cheap ones. Cams that can be controlled with your cell phone, called IP (as in IP address) cameras, are certainly hackable, there's been incidents of hackers talking to their victims via the camera. The very cheap set I have on the bird feeders hears better than I do.

Camera tech has come a long way, but even 10-20 years ago, pinhole cams with remote access were available. Recent ads on tv offer two very small body cams for $40, and you can get dash cams for your car cheap.

Cell phone and cordless landlines are not secure, a simple radio/police scanner can pick them up, the cordless landlines transmit a lot farther to a scanner than they will to their own base unit.

KR's would get my vote for no evidence tampering. I think one shot and run. Rumor was that his cell phone was still in the window sill.

Haven't re-read anything, but "intercepts" (plural) implies multiple incidents, so maybe that covers all.

Many cams also do audio, even the really cheap ones. Cams that can be controlled with your cell phone, called IP (as in IP address) cameras, are certainly hackable, there's been incidents of hackers talking to their victims via the camera. The very cheap set I have on the bird feeders hears better than I do.

Camera tech has come a long way, but even 10-20 years ago, pinhole cams with remote access were available. Recent ads on tv offer two very small body cams for $40, and you can get dash cams for your car cheap.

Cell phone and cordless landlines are not secure, a simple radio/police scanner can pick them up, the cordless landlines transmit a lot farther to a scanner than they will to their own base unit.

KR's would get my vote for no evidence tampering. I think one shot and run. Rumor was that his cell phone was still in the window sill.

Haven't re-read anything, but "intercepts" (plural) implies multiple incidents, so maybe that covers all.

Col, I agree with all this. Regarding the intercepts and technology, Mr. Pockets of Steel, who used to post here in the beginning, was very knowledgeable on this subject.
Wish he would re appear and add his expertise. I think he had a lot of scanners, or monitored many channels, etc.
I don’t know enough to formulate a sentence about what is out there and available. Pockets of Steel, weigh in if you are out there.

Last edited:

Good questions. Thinking out loud:

4 counts of aggravated burglary (against each of the Wagner 4) applies to all 4 addresses where victims were murdered. From what I understand from reading, these charges apply to the murders. You don't have to steal anything to be charged with burglary, you just have to break into their home while committing any criminal offense.

To me, this also means LE doesn't think the killers were invited into the homes of the victims.

3 counts of tampering with evidence- Counts 15, 16 and 17. Applies to each Wagner 4. They're specific to the type of evidence tampered with

Count 15 - Dated April 22, 2016 - the day of the murders - refers to altering, destroying, removing, etc. phones, cameras or other unidentified items belonging to victims
Count 16 - Dated April 3, 2016 - refers to misrepresenting, using etc. any document known to be false - custody documents
Count 17 - Dated January 1, 2016 through May 9, 2017 - refers to altering, concealing, removing, destroying, etc. silencers, shell casings, parts of home security system, and/or other unidentified items

Count 15 isn't address specific, so it doesn't tell us which crime scenes has phones, cameras, etc. removed or destroyed during the murders. They apply to tampering done the day of the murders.

Count 17 is more interesting because it applies from Jan 1, 2016 - May 9, 2017 - around the time the W's were preparing to move to AK, also around the same time the GPS devices were on James Manley and Jake Wagner's trucks. The problem is that, aside from ammo, etc. it only applies to parts of a home security system and/or other identified items. WRT the home security systems taken from crime scenes (or owned by perps), did they hang onto them after they were taken? Or does it refer to something that had monitored the R family home security systems? IDK?

Interception of Wire, Oral, or Electronic Communications

Count 20 - All 4 W's charged. Dated July 1, 2014 through May 9, 2017 - same ending date as Count 17 - refers to intercepting, attempting to intercept or procuring another person to intercept wire, oral or electronic communications

Timeline around May 9, 2017
April 28 - James Manley finds GPS tracker and removes it
May 3 - LE interviews Jake and Angela Wagner
Approx May 5 - Jake asks Mr. Brown if he can store some trailers w/ their possessions at his farm
May 8 - LE interviews GW3
May 12 - LE conducts search of Wags farm on Peterson Rd

Assume May 9 in the charges above refers to the day the W's officially moved out of their farm on Peterson Rd. So, on that day, JW stopped intercepting some kind of wire, oral or electronic communications. Since this involved moving their possessions, I'm going to guess it involved stopping something he had running on a computer or something.

Most interesting is that, whatever or however he was monitoring someone's electronic, wire, oral, etc communications, he was still doing so up until May 9, 2017. JMO, that means he was monitoring someone who was still alive. If it was a listening device in a home, car or cell phone, it was property that was still being used and had not been destroyed or taken into evidence. He wouldn't have continued to monitor HMR's phone if he had already taken and destroyed it. He wouldn't have still been monitoring any of the victims' home security systems or listening to house bugs, as the trailers had been searched and moved into storage.

I'm also guessing the charge refers to multiple acts of electronic, oral, etc interception. Or would they need separate counts for each phone, bugging device, etc.? Let's ask gitana or someone.

Whose cell phone, computer, etc. was still being monitored by the W4 on the day they moved out of their home on Peterson Rd?

Hope all this makes sense, haha. What do you all think?

Last edited:
Good questions. Thinking out loud:

4 counts of aggravated burglary (against each of the Wagner 4) applies to all 4 addresses where victims were murdered. From what I understand from reading, these charges apply to the murders. You don't have to steal anything to be charged with burglary, you just have to break into their home while committing any criminal offense.

To me, this also means LE doesn't think the killers were invited into the homes of the victims.

3 counts of tampering with evidence- Counts 15, 16 and 17. Applies to each Wagner 4. They're specific to the type of evidence tampered with

Count 15 - Dated April 22, 2016 - the day of the murders - refers to altering, destroying, removing, etc. phones, cameras or other unidentified items belonging to victims
Count 16 - Dated April 3, 2016 - refers to misrepresenting, using etc. any document known to be false - custody documents
Count 17 - Dated January 1, 2016 through May 9, 2017 - refers to altering, concealing, removing, destroying, etc. silencers, shell casings, parts of home security system, and/or other unidentified items

Count 15 isn't address specific, so it doesn't tell us which crime scenes has phones, cameras, etc. removed or destroyed during the murders. They apply to tampering done the day of the murders.

Count 17 is more interesting because it applies from Jan 1, 2016 - May 9, 2017 - around the time the W's were preparing to move to AK, also around the same time the GPS devices were on James Manley and Jake Wagner's trucks. The problem is that, aside from ammo, etc. it only applies to parts of a home security system and/or other identified items. WRT the home security systems taken from crime scenes (or owned by perps), did they hang onto them after they were taken? Or does it refer to something that had monitored the R family home security systems? IDK?

Interception of Wire, Oral, or Electronic Communications

Count 20 - Dated July 1, 2014 through May 9, 2017 - same ending date as Count 17 - refers to intercepting, attempting to intercept or procuring another person to intercept wire, oral or electronic communications

Timeline around May 9, 2017
April 28 - James Manley finds GPS tracker and removes it
May 3 - LE interviews Jake and Angela Wagner
Approx May 5 - Jake asks Mr. Brown if he can store some trailers w/ their possessions at his farm
May 8 - LE interviews GW3
May 12 - LE conducts search of Wags farm on Peterson Rd

Assume May 9 in the charges above refers to the day the W's officially moved out of their farm on Peterson Rd. So, on that day, JW stopped intercepting some kind of wire, oral or electronic communications. Since this involved moving their possessions, I'm going to guess it involved stopping something he had running on a computer or something.

Most interesting is that, whatever or however he was monitoring someone's electronic, wire, oral, etc communications, he was still doing so up until May 9, 2017. JMO, that means he was monitoring someone who was still alive. If it was a listening device in a home, car or cell phone, it was property that was still being used and had not been destroyed or taken into evidence. He wouldn't have continued to monitor HMR's phone if he had already taken and destroyed it. He wouldn't have still been monitoring any of the victims' home security systems or listening to house bugs, as the trailers had been searched and moved into storage.

I'm also guessing the charge refers to multiple acts of electronic, oral, etc interception. Or would they need separate counts for each phone, bugging device, etc.? Let's ask gitana or someone.

Whose cell phone, computer, etc. was still being monitored by the W4 on the day they moved out of their home on Peterson Rd?

Hope all this makes sense, haha. What do you all think?

Excellent analysis Betty, thank you!
I've always wondered about the date on indictment 16. Is that the date that was on the false document or the date it was presented to LE?
May 9, 2017 appears to be a very important date (time period) in the investigation. Seems around the same time LE's focus changed from the Manleys to the W4, laser focus....
I too have always wonder who they were monitoring until May 9 2017, and why.

Billy has arrived. Still wearing jail uniform.

Defense has received some 30 gigs of discovery today. Allow them an extended amount of time if they need to file more motions. State has no objections.

Judge grants indefinitely the amount of time for pre-trial motions. Will set a deadline at future time.

State asks for "no contact" motion. Billy's attorney doesn't object, but still wants Billy to be able to talk to Robin. State is ok with it as long as she isn't relaying messages or discussing the case.

Judge refers to granting a motion to allow private investigators who have been hired by the defense to meet in person with Billy.

More stuff about video conferencing with the defendant and his attorneys, subject to cost.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member